Zurvivalist

Ethical Hunting

There's a good chance i'm talking out of my ass here, but I've heard varmint corpses being left behind acts as a deterrant to more varmints, as it scares them off similar to skulls on stakes.

False!  Ground squirrels are cannibals.  When I was a kid, while shooting squeaks in the fields, I used to notice how they would eventually drag their dead back down into their burrows.

There ain't no field hospitals in squirrel burrows.  They aren't embalming their dead down there, either.  They.  Were.  Eating.  Their.  Dead.  Siblings.

• Like 1

Exactly, it would be different if he actually marked trees with blazes, or put up signs, or anything.

If you are gonna be an asshole and KoS without "interacting", own it. Don't try to deflect and play it off as RP "he was trespassing/poaching".

I think you are just out looking for something to trash-talk.  If you saw somebody digging around in a tent that you set up, would you feel justified in killing them?  After all, did you write your name on the tent?  Didn't you just find it laying around to begin with?  Who was the original owner, and did they transfer ownership of the tent to you?  Are we to assume that the apocalypse works on the first-come, first-served basis, and that ownership is determined by line-of sight and personally controlling a resource, or area?  If I decide to go onto a server and play as if everything in Zelenogorsk belongs to me, am I just making up an excuse to KOS?  Would it be better if I left a barrel and a note at each road leading into town, declaring my ownership?  Can we even post signs, or mark trees in the game?  Does role-play, or having a personal set of rules to play by bother you?  Why you gotta go busting people's shops for taking offense at a bovine AK massacre?  Are you saying that OP would have been wrong to have let the guy take one cow and move along if he had seen him do so respectfully, and without waste?  Don't you have anything better to do than try to convince someone else that their in-game ethics are worthless, because you still see them as run-of-the-mill KOS player?

False!  Ground squirrels are cannibals.  When I was a kid, while shooting squeaks in the fields, I used to notice how they would eventually drag their dead back down into their burrows.

There ain't no field hospitals in squirrel burrows.  They aren't embalming their dead down there, either.  They.  Were.  Eating.  Their.  Dead.  Siblings.

I've filled the proverbial hole with lime and gravel sir.

Thanks for the information!

I think you are just out looking for something to trash-talk.  If you saw somebody digging around in a tent that you set up, would you feel justified in killing them?  After all, did you write your name on the tent?  Didn't you just find it laying around to begin with?  Who was the original owner, and did they transfer ownership of the tent to you?  Are we to assume that the apocalypse works on the first-come, first-served basis, and that ownership is determined by line-of sight and personally controlling a resource, or area?  If I decide to go onto a server and play as if everything in Zelenogorsk belongs to me, am I just making up an excuse to KOS?  Would it be better if I left a barrel and a note at each road leading into town, declaring my ownership?  Can we even post signs, or mark trees in the game?  Does role-play, or having a personal set of rules to play by bother you?  Why you gotta go busting people's shops for taking offense at a bovine AK massacre?  Are you saying that OP would have been wrong to have let the guy take one cow and move along if he had seen him do so respectfully, and without waste?  Don't you have anything better to do than try to convince someone else that their in-game ethics are worthless, because you still see them as run-of-the-mill KOS player?

Yep, but their logical one track minds can't see it any other way. I find it funny and justified by his gaming rules. People kill others because of suspicion, trash talking or not obly the second you scream your command doing their "Friendly" "Real banditry routine" Yes, it's a game guys, you said it yourself. Spraying a game with an drum mag isnt the way of the hunt and a decision was made, like any other. We do what we see fit. Whether you like to paint it otherwise this is what happend. Deal with it. 

Edited by JohnyBravo

Herro is quite against KoS if i recall.  I'd justify OP as a legitimate RP if that was the mindset he was in, and not just an entertaining recap of the experience.

I think herro may have also been RPing with the permits but not so sure...

Strokes for folks.

Killing a man needs no justification to me though.  I'd gladly cast each and every one of you to a shallow grave, although I'm sure some of you might give me a run for my money too!  Chernarus+ is my turf and i want you off my god damned lawn now!

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Why you gotta go busting people's shops for taking offense at a bovine AK massacre? 

That is by far the worst KoS justification of all time. 

Hold on I need a drink. 

That is by far the worst KoS justification of all time. 

Hold on I need a drink. 

I only noticed my typo after you quoted it.  How embarrassing.

Worst KoS justification of all time?  Hyperbole much?

Seriously though, in the very rare possibility that an apocalypse scenario actually plays out, wasting resources will make my trigger finger itch as much as anything.  People who burn books to stay warm will lose all of the advantages of centuries of collected human knowledge.  People who burn toilet paper, because it is easy and abundant, will live to regret their mistake.  People who waste food in a survival situation might not live to regret their poor decisions.  As far as RP is concerned, wasting game is as good a reason to shoot somebody as the ubiquitous "he might have had a gun" line; some might even say it is a better reason to pull the trigger.

-snip-

Sure, if the guy was poking around my base-site, I would have no issues at all with the OP killing him. The thing is: they guy the OP killed wasn't even near his base-site. They were "5 minutes away", in a map that you can sprint across in 20-30 minutes. The OP killed him "because he was poaching/trespassing on HIS lands", aka because he wanted to for shits and giggles. 

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually have very little "issue" with most forms and fashions of PvP in Day Z. The one that I do not like is KoS, especially when the players try to disguise KoS-asshattery as some form of Roleplay. " I am roleplaying a psychopath" is a common one.

No, you aren't. You are just being an asshole. And, to me, if you are going to be an asshole, whether in game or in real-life, own it.  

If the OP ended his post with " see, this is what happens when I get bored", I would have zero issues with this whole thread. Instead, he tried to tie it into some little bullshit lesson about "waste/need/poaching" shenanigans, all in a game where you literally cannot own anything. Those cows respawn every time the server resets, they aren't "his" cows. If he fenced them in, fed them, etc, and then the other player came in and killed them for shits n' giggles, yeah, call him a poacher. Until then, you just KoS. Which is perfectly (well, debatable) okay, so long as you aren't afraid to call it what it is

Herro is quite against KoS if i recall.  I'd justify OP as a legitimate RP if that was the mindset he was in, and not just an entertaining recap of the experience.

I think herro may have also been RPing with the permits but not so sure...

Strokes for folks.

Killing a man needs no justification to me though.  I'd gladly cast each and every one of you to a shallow grave, although I'm sure some of you might give me a run for my money too!  Chernarus+ is my turf and i want you off my god damned lawn now!

I was being overwhelmingly facetious about the permits. Those cows reset and respawn every time the server does, they don't "belong" to anyone, until animal husbandry gets introduced. Who cares if the other player wants to waste bullets on meat he can't even use? 

I only noticed my typo after you quoted it.  How embarrassing.

Worst KoS justification of all time?  Hyperbole much?

Seriously though, in the very rare possibility that an apocalypse scenario actually plays out, wasting resources will make my trigger finger itch as much as anything.  People who burn books to stay warm will lose all of the advantages of centuries of collected human knowledge.  People who burn toilet paper, because it is easy and abundant, will live to regret their mistake.  People who waste food in a survival situation might not live to regret their poor decisions.  As far as RP is concerned, wasting game is as good a reason to shoot somebody as the ubiquitous "he might have had a gun" line; some might even say it is a better reason to pull the trigger.

Believe me or not, but I actually agree. 

However, in this case 1) the cows will respawn, and presumably will until 1.0 release. Until then, getting upset about "wasting game" is nonsensical. You can't get angry about "wasting" unlimited resources  :P 2) This is a game where, so far, the only things you can "own" are that which you can carry. Until animal husbandry is implemented, with branding, marking, corralling/penning, etc, so you can show "ownership" of animals, or even land, you shouldn't really get all pissy about someone doing exactly the same thing as you were planning on doing, on a random group of animals that probably follow the same path every time they respawn. Who gives a shit if he wasn't going to carry 9/10 of the meat? He effectively killed and butchered the cows for you, and you didn't have to spend a bullet. Plus, he spent all his bullets. Win + Win + Win, in my book.

My major issue with this whole shindig is how the OP  tried to justify killing the guy. If he just said " I saw him, and felt like killing him", I could at least respect his honesty.

I was being overwhelmingly facetious about the permits. Those cows reset and respawn every time the server does, they don't "belong" to anyone, until animal husbandry gets introduced. Who cares if the other player wants to waste bullets on meat he can't even use? 

Well i understand that :P

just thought you were participating in the RP with talk of permits.

I'm not entirely convinced that you're aware either the post is dramatised for entertainment and/or OP has created a RP scenario that he enjoys the game by.  It is a sandbox after all...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

~A lot of words where used here ~

Ok so yea I killed the guy, but for ( in my opinion at the time ) a justifiable reason , 

I'll break it down for you since you seem to miss most of what I carefully worded out in observations. 

1. The guy was in my territory : We all stake claim to certain areas of the map , we frequent most often . At least the group I run with does,.... Rather it be the little corner of the woods near camp, Or that town your looting in at that moment. Rather you let them live or not depends on the threat level you perceive they present . 

2. I'm a Role Player, So yea.. if i see someone wasting precious resources , I react. 

3. After scoping the guy out , it was not hard to determine his threat level. At the moment he may have simply been collecting meet. But looking at his gear, and his shoot em up mentality, It was easy to assume he was a PvP centric player. The type of player I try to avoid at all cost, and the type I remove from my enviroment for my own safety as well as the safety of others. 

4. My current turf ranges a fairly large area at the moment ,As I move from hunting ground to hunting ground I patrol the towns and watch for anyone that just doesn't seem right . I let far more people live than I take down , and trust me , I see a LOT of people who never see me. Its how I manage to follow people to their camps, Kill dupers and hackers, and try to slow down the CoD kids as much as possible. 

You want to talk KOS ? I once spent an entire weekend in 58 camping the Myshkino tent officer barracks ,. Just to kill server jumpers and loot cyclers .Killed nearly a hundred people that weekend. THATS KOSing 

The rules I currently play by are simple. But offer up enough of a challenge to keep me entertained. And honestly more of a challenge than most people can handle right now. 

For example. 

-When i travel , I walk , I dont sprint 

-I rarely if ever eat spawned lootable foods, I consider them dog and cat food, To be used as a last ditch resort. I've ate worms befor i would open a can of tactical bacon. 

-I use as little military spawn loot as possible. (currently my only acceptable items are boots, Smersh vest, and backpack (until i find a hunter's pack) Most of the time I go without a backpack at all due to the ghillie suits I like to use. And I refuse to use any of the other civilian backpacks. Only the improvised, 

-Only play on cold winter servers 

-try to never use the gamma exploit 

-only take on players when the reason would be justifiable in a real life survival situation ( Risk vs reward) 

- Travel as light as possible, I rarely lug around more then i absolutely need . ( this becomes even more important once you have a ghillie on . I also try to calculate realistic space and weight into account when gearing items. one or two mags at most, one box of ammo, so on so forth . 

just to name a few... 

• Like 1

From Herro's posts and yours, you both seem to be wilderness survivors as a generalisation.

Probably closer play styles than you think ;)

From Herro's posts and yours, you both seem to be wilderness survivors as a generalisation.

Probably closer play styles than you think ;)

Possibly, 

I can understand where he is coming from , I don't much care for KoS with no rhyme or reason either 

and tried for the longest time to be pure non lethal .Where in I would only knock out or tie up people, But honestly Standalone simply just does not cater to that type of game play well enough to make it viable. 

At Least in the mod you could fairly reliably break legs with the dmr .   And in breaking point we had tranq rounds... 

DayZ really needs to catch up with that aspect of gameplay soon. Pure pvp for the sake of pvp got old a long time ago . 

Tazers are rumored to be coming, but i don't see them having a range outside 15m or so.  Real tazers may be more, but y'know.  You'll need to see the whites of his eyes.

I'd like to play around with 'non-lethal' or less-lethal weapons, something that causes serious shock and pain, maybe broken bones and such.

The cattle prod / stun batton are told to be super effective with batteries, but i'm still reluctant to get up close and personal to anyone in dayZ.

Tazers are rumored to be coming, but i don't see them having a range outside 15m or so.  Real tazers may be more, but y'know.  You'll need to see the whites of his eyes.

I'd like to play around with 'non-lethal' or less-lethal weapons, something that causes serious shock and pain, maybe broken bones and such.

The cattle prod / stun batton are told to be super effective with batteries, but i'm still reluctant to get up close and personal to anyone in dayZ.

I went full non lethal for a while,.. stun baton and cattle prod are about 50/50 on rather or not they will knock out on the first hit.

OP- don't buy into the troll posts. 

It's just two more guys who won't ever agree with the way you're playing. And that's fine... you can kill them in game and eat them too. 

(please.)

• Like 3

OP- don't buy into the troll posts. 

It's just two more guys who won't ever agree with the way you're playing. And that's fine... you can kill them in game and eat them too. 

(please.)

How is this trolling?

Ethical Hunting <---- Title

Content with the idea of one less murderer in my area to compete with.. And enough meets to last me a few days.

Moral of the story, If he wasn't a pocher and killed more than he needed , He would have lived ..

Everything in this makes no sense at all. You call it ethical, you say kill him first, then you clearly call him a murderer, then you call him a poacher then you say he would have lived after he was shot.

The other responding remarks, got me laughing how many believe it was poaching, but cry when someone KOS your ass on these forums.

I have seen it all :huh:

Otherwise i liked the story Jonathan, and i do like to hunt in this game. So don't take it to heart.  :)