J.Dre

"Login Protection Period" of 10 seconds or until you move.

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this feature?

• Yes.
    • No. I'll explain why below.
    • Don't care. Why not?

Hi again,

At the moment, sometimes your character shows up in the game before you can even see the environment around you - it's blacked out while you're sitting there. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the game takes a while to officially load. It would be nice to have a small window of protection upon logging in to allow you to actually get in the game.

The feature would prevent the infected and other players from being able to attack you for 10 seconds (adjustable) or until you move.

Regards,

J.Dre

Happy Holidays!

Edited by J.Dre
  • Like 1

you should always try to log out/in where hostiles won't stumble across you.  although you don't always have a choice - resets and kickers can leave you having to relog in a really awkward place.  but still, what you're suggesting would encourage server hopping.  for that reason I say no.

• Like 4

No you should not have protection. Why? you should log out where it is safe not in barracks or houses or in the middle of a town. Hoppers need punished not help.

• Like 2

(Yes vote) Not sure that this particular method of 'protection' is the best option but I agree that something should be done about the issue with logging and being present in game before you are able to assume control of your character. I've been on both sides of this badness. You actually spawn in game quite a good while before you assume control of your character. Its sketchy. Not really a problem if you have the opportunity to hide yourself in a safe place but server crashes/kicks/resets can and will get you. Also logging out is kinda sketchy in a similar manner. You exit and what you see is the server list right away. What a person in game is seeing while you are looking at the list is your guy sitting down and then standing back up and then he stands there for a minute before vanishing. You can still be killed while logging out. Its lame to try to run away from a fight but no matter where you log or why you are rolling the dice.

Edited by iClown
  • Like 1

I agree that we need a way to prevent being killed before we load in...this has happened to me many times actually, usually due to a server reset or game crash leaving me standing in the middle of a military zone (I often have very long load times, sometimes up to 30 seconds). However I think that this system would be too easy to exploit. Instead maybe we could have a system where everything will load in and you have to press a button to have your character actually appear? This way you would already be fully loaded in so there would be less of a risk of being killed.

• Like 1

Guys...... the whole point of the "logout dance" (when you stand up and sit down repeatedly for 30 seconds after logging out), is to prevent ghosting and server hopping. Back in the early days, your character would disappear from the server instantly when you clicked "exit". EVERYONE ghosted and combat-logged back then as a result

Want a "safe" way to log in and out? Run to the woods, find a tree or bush. If you get caught by a server reset, and jump right back into a high-pop, well....... that is your fault. " Survival of the fittest".

No "protection" is needed. No "protection" is warranted.

As for OnionofShame's suggestion: that seems like it would be abused, real fast.

" Hey, we got guys holed up in X Building!"
- Alright, let me peek in there real quick from a different server....... yeah, three guys, one under the stairs, one in the back room, one in the hallway-

No thanks.

• Like 2

I voted no. The purpose of that delay is to prevent ghosting or combat loggers relogging and it does a good job at helping people out deal with that far more than it makes it easier to spawn camp. Don't log out or in at potential hot spots and you won't have this problem.

Guys...... the whole point of the "logout dance" (when you stand up and sit down repeatedly for 30 seconds after logging out), is to prevent ghosting and server hopping. Back in the early days, your character would disappear from the server instantly when you clicked "exit". EVERYONE ghosted and combat-logged back then as a result

Want a "safe" way to log in and out? Run to the woods, find a tree or bush. If you get caught by a server reset, and jump right back into a high-pop, well....... that is your fault. " Survival of the fittest".

As for OnionofShame's suggestion: that seems like it would be abused, real fast.

- Alright, let me peek in there real quick from a different server....... yeah, three guys, one under the stairs, one in the back room, one in the hallway-

No thanks.

I'm not sure you know what any of us are talking about? No one said anything at all about the "logout dance" literally has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. We're talking about when you log IN, not OUT. There isn't any sort of dance then, just a black screen that says "Please wait...", which can vary greatly in duration depending on your hardware and connection. And for my sugestion, how would you be scouting anything out if you haven't spawned in yet? What I meant is that the game will load our area bur we'll see only a black screen that just says "Press Enter to spawn" or something like that, then we press the button and spawn in instantly.

I wonder if you read anything on this thread at all...

Edited by OnionOfShame

I'm not sure you know what any of us are talking about? No one said anything at all about the "logout dance" literally has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. We're talking about when you log IN, not OUT. There isn't any sort of dance then, just a black screen that says "Please wait...", which can vary greatly in duration depending on your hardware and connection. And for my sugestion, how would you be scouting anything out if you haven't spawned in yet? What I meant is that the game will load our area bur we'll see only a black screen that just says "Press Enter to spawn" or something like that, then we press the button and spawn in instantly.

I wonder if you read anything on this thread at all...

-Ahem-

This, quoted from Iclown, is usually referred to as "the logout dance"

You exit and what you see is the server list right away. What a person in game is seeing while you are looking at the list is your guy sitting down and then standing back up and then he stands there for a minute before vanishing. You can still be killed while logging out. Its lame to try to run away from a fight but no matter where you log or why you are rolling the dice.

He was complaining about it. I tried to explain that it was included in the game for a very good reason.

As for your post, I apologize. By the way you wrote out your thoughts, I thought you wanted the world to load before we could actually interact with the game-world, and that we could actually see in-game before we "loaded in". That would be bad.

I still don't think your idea would work, from my very limited understanding on how those things work. 

Guys...... the whole point of the "logout dance" (when you stand up and sit down repeatedly for 30 seconds after logging out), is to prevent ghosting and server hopping. Back in the early days, your character would disappear from the server instantly when you clicked "exit". EVERYONE ghosted and combat-logged back then as a result

No thanks.

On logging in:

I don't recall anyone saying you should be able to look around and see whats going on before you jump in to the game.

The problem isn't really that you might log into a gun fight right away. The problem is that the gun fight would occur while you were looking at a countdown or "Please wait..."

You can be killed while you are looking at the please wait screen.

On logging out:

The logout dance doesn't prevent anyone from combat logging.

In the event that you log out (during combat or not) your character does the dance. Its like the whole class is getting punished for something 1 guy did.

The "dance" - It would be less a big deal if your guy wasn't sitting and standing and sitting and standing. Movement tends to draw attention.

You can be killed while you are looking at the server list.

Ive seen it exploited and used to duplicate entire inventory.

In conclusion:

I understand if the solutions offered here don't strike you as the greatest but as is you are just nay-saying. I don't understand what draws you to the thread with nothing to input aside from "you cant do this" and "you cant do that". Did you have something better in mind?

• Like 1

On logging in:

I don't recall anyone saying you should be able to look around and see whats going on before you jump in to the game.

The problem isn't really that you might log into a gun fight right away. The problem is that the gun fight would occur while you were looking at a countdown or "Please wait..."

You can be killed while you are looking at the please wait screen.

On logging out:

The logout dance doesn't prevent anyone from combat logging.

In the event that you log out (during combat or not) your character does the dance. Its like the whole class is getting punished for something 1 guy did.

The "dance" - It would be less a big deal if your guy wasn't sitting and standing and sitting and standing. Movement tends to draw attention.

You can be killed while you are looking at the server list.

Ive seen it exploited and used to duplicate entire inventory.

In conclusion:

I understand if the solutions offered here don't strike you as the greatest but as is you are just nay-saying. I don't understand what draws you to the thread with nothing to input aside from "you cant do this" and "you cant do that". Did you have something better in mind?

On  logging in:

I know. I misread his post, and apologized for jumping to conclusions.

On logging out:

The "logout dance" sure as hell prevents combat logging, by letting the "log-ee" get killed when they try to log. It is supposed to draw attention to the person logging out, to the point where it has been the better part of a year since someone has tried to combat-log on me. That is literally the reason the devs included such a mechanic. You divert that attention by logging out somewhere you are unlikely to be found.

On  logging in:

I know. I misread his post, and apologized for jumping to conclusions.

On logging out:

The "logout dance" sure as hell prevents combat logging, by letting the "log-ee" get killed when they try to log. It is supposed to draw attention to the person logging out, to the point where it has been the better part of a year since someone has tried to combat-log on me. That is literally the reason the devs included such a mechanic. You divert that attention by logging out somewhere you are unlikely to be found.

I can't remember a time when the 'logout dance' didn't exist. I've been playing since just shortly after the release of stand alone on steam. I've seen plenty of combat logs. I wont elaborate on the combat logging Ive seen so not to encourage it but I've seen plenty enough of it. Ive also seen (never actually attempted it) and as far as I know it is still possible to duplicate your whole inventory using both the current log in and log out situations if you have a friend that is equally as corrupt as yourself. I wont elaborate on that stuff either. I have seen at least one of those things had been reported but it didn't appear to have been resolved. Your thoughts?

There was a point in time, early in the Alpha, were as soon as you hit the "exit" button in the menu, your character would instantly disappear from the game world.

Now, that lead to the abuse you could expect. Server-hoppers bouncing from server to server, people running around a corner and leaving combat in seconds. Snipers logging out as soon as someone got the drop on them, and even sometimes whenever someone fired back

I haven't been killed while logging in since the early days of the mod. Log out in a safe place.

Clearly you haven't read any of this thread if you think that's a viable solution.

Clearly you haven't read any of this thread if you think that's a viable solution.

I have.  I see a few people whining about dying when logging in and others clearly explaining why the suggested system would be exploited, exactly how this discussion has gone since 2012.  Logging out in safe place solves the problem because in my 4000+ hours of mod and standalone play I haven't been killed logging in or out since the wee days of the mod.  Obviously it works.

Oh, and for server crashes and kicks?  Quit playing on public so you can server hop for gear or accept the risk.  Problem solved.  As for game crashes, I must be lucky, I never crash.  :/

Now, maybe go give that attitude to someone who hasn't seen this topic a hundred times before instead of someone who actually played the game when various solutions were attempted by the different teams.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago
  • Like 3

I have. I see a few people whining about dying when logging in and others clearly explaining why the suggested system would be exploited, exactly how this discussion has gone since 2012. Logging out in safe place solves the problem because in my 4000+ hours of mod and standalone play I haven't been killed logging in or out since the wee days of the mod. Obviously it works.

Oh, and for server crashes and kicks? Quit playing on public so you can server hop for gear or accept the risk. Problem solved. As for game crashes, I must be lucky, I never crash. :/

Now, maybe go give that attitude to someone who hasn't seen this topic a hundred times before instead of someone who actually played the game when various solutions were attempted by the different teams.

Your game experience is not reflective of everyone's. I have actually been killed many times in situations where a server reset, game crash, Internet router crash, or even power surge/outage has forced me to exit the game in a less ideal location. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a completely ideal situation...may e think of someone other than yourself before spouting off with you self-righteous bullshit and dismissing opinions you don't like as "server hopperz hurr durrrrrr." And maybe cab you explain how the system I have described above can be exploited, rather than just saying that it can be?

Your game experience is not reflective of everyone's. I have actually been killed many times in situations where a server reset, game crash, Internet router crash, or even power surge/outage has forced me to exit the game in a less ideal location. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a completely ideal situation...may e think of someone other than yourself before spouting off with you self-righteous bullshit and dismissing opinions you don't like as "server hopperz hurr durrrrrr." And maybe cab you explain how the system I have described above can be exploited, rather than just saying that it can be?

Obviously it does not reflect everyone's experience as there are still a small group of people who whine about dying when logging in.  Logging out in a safe place works. 

If someone is having computer crashes, router crashes, electrical storms over their homes, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, or continuously has the server reset on them in high risk places then I would suggest they run off down to the local witch doctor to have whatever curse that is plaguing them lifted before something actually bad happens to them.

Voted NO.

So lets make explain then:

All i can see with these "protections" is more ways to exploit and abuse.

Edited by SuperSloth

server hopping... thats a whole different exploit.

staying on subject; still nobody wants to tackle the fact that people dupe their whole inventory with both the current log in and log out situations we have...

its like you close a window and 2 more windows open.

So I log into a house with some team of 8 people in it, they all shoot me until they run out of ammo, but LOL I'M IMMORTAL fags then I proceed to execute every one of them

So I log into a house with some team of 8 people in it, they all shoot me until they run out of ammo, but LOL I'M IMMORTAL fags then I proceed to execute every one of them

I don't think that's what anyone here wants. 

The idea I like, and the idea I think the OP is trying to express is that the world loads to the point where you can start to play but all you see is a black screen saying "loading world" or something. When it is fully loaded, the black screen disappears and you're in game ready to go. Your body doesn't exist in-game until you are in control. However, if you just switched server, then you should be forced to stand there for the 30-60 second wait like we do now. 

Slightly off topic, I really wish we didn't have to wait for the spawn timer if we're reentering the same server we just left. Getting kicked because battleye isn't responding, my ping spiked for a few seconds, or I just needed to relog, then having to wait for the timer to spawn into the server I just left is not fun. The penalty should only be for server hoppers. :P

Edited by LucidHills
  • Like 2

you should always try to log out/in where hostiles won't stumble across you.  although you don't always have a choice - resets and kickers can leave you having to relog in a really awkward place.  but still, what you're suggesting would encourage server hopping.  for that reason I say no.

Yes server hopper care so much for that 10 seconds after already waited for countdown and "please wait" to finish. 

Edited by General Zod

Yes server hopper care so much for that 10 seconds after already waited for countdown and "please wait" to finish. 

Yeah Zod - and getting kicked 5 times in a row - every time I go on to check if the 1-player admin is really still around or if he's asleep at the keyboard (he's one of THOSE) so I can use his own grenades on all his 9 tents - after loading all that ammo and the stuff I want to keep in his 4 trucks and driving them into the debug plains.. {sigh} the waiting can be long..

[you know who I mean]

{edit I'm joking about ZOD he is the sweetest and most cuddly General ZOD in the Multiverse, he wouldn't hurt a fly - he HELPS flies..}

Seriously, while the screen is still black, you're not in play, right?  Then as you 'fade in' - first you see the hot bar, then your controls just start working as the scene comes up to full brightness, and for a second or so you're vulnerable and cant move too good.. Isn't that the danger moment we are talking about?

I don't think your avatar gets put in place first, and then kind-of-afterwards the connection is made to your controls and screen. I've never been shot or mauled by a zombie WHILE the screen was still black, but I have been attacked as soon as the scene first starts fading in.

??

But, you cant have a "button" to start play or else you'd be able to log in (invisible) and see who was there, load ammo, aim at the guy's head, press "start play" and blow him away.

Edited by pilgrim