Salty seadog

.59 Constantly dying for no reason

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else thats playing .59 stable. This is now my 4th time dying like this, it seems it keeps happening while using stairs, I haven't fallen off the stairs but walking down them just kills me. In this video i was in a barn in the middle of nowhere, no one would have had a shot at me through the top barn window, and nobody came in to shoot me as you cant hear footsteps or see anyone enter. Devastated because i literally just got my first VSS  :( and the last three deaths before this were exactly the same, just walking down stairs. Anyone got any ideas on this or has it happened to you? Cheers

https://youtu.be/p2ZQk_2MUSo

Edit: ill see if i have the other deaths recorded to upload

Edited by Salty seadog

Stairs have been a rather consistant issue with DayZ / BI games it seems (particularly DayZ).  Haven't had this happen to me in a long time.  Police stations used to be especially lethal to enter or be in..

Definitely looks like the 'stairs' killed you, although i do notice you take a shortcut and cut-corner to left of exiting the staircase right before death.  This small 'drop' may have killed you, not particularly the stairs.  ie: run down stairs, you're going fast, 1/2inch drop from stair to floor, game thinks you're going too fast, and applies mass*speed=death.

Try to exit stairs directly without falling off even if the drop seems inconsequential, as another old issue with people randomly dying is the half foot drop after exiting buildings.

edit: i'm not certain this is what's the cause for your dying. it could have just been the stairs.  But being safe in DayZ(alpher) will keep you alive haha.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Stairs have been a rather consistant issue with DayZ / BI games it seems (particularly DayZ).  Haven't had this happen to me in a long time.  Police stations used to be especially lethal to enter or be in..

Definitely looks like the 'stairs' killed you, although i do notice you take a shortcut and cut-corner to left of exiting the staircase right before death.  This small 'drop' may have killed you, not particularly the stairs.  ie: run down stairs, you're going fast, 1/2inch drop from stair to floor, game thinks you're going too fast, and applies mass*speed=death.

Try to exit stairs directly without falling off even if the drop seems inconsequential, as another old issue with people randomly dying is the half foot drop after exiting buildings.

edit: i'm not certain this is what's the cause for your dying. it could have just been the stairs.  But being safe in DayZ(alpher) will keep you alive haha.

I think your right, although i just noticed my in-game name is now "Shake Me" instead of my usual name! Im so confused!

I`m trying to cut the stairs the same way in the same barn without resulted in the same way as u in the youtube video.

But I died once in a similar way when I was out of the hunting shed stair on 0.59 exp. branch.

Updated: - I think the main issue is in the (Fall damage code in-game.) The game usually lag, but what is actually happening is that the game calculate fall damage, because your character is in the air split seconds - I think sometimes it calculate wrong so the game thinks the character is high in the air which usually result

in the character dying.

It's my theory though - it would be great if someone working on the code could comment on it.

Personally, I feel the fall damage in general is too severe at the moment in dayz.

Edited by Ori42
  • Like 2

I`m trying to cut the stairs the same way in the same barn without resulted in the same way as u in the youtube video.
But I died once in a similar way when I was out of the hunting shed stair on 0.59 exp. branch.
Updated: - I think the main issue is in the (Fall damage code in-game.) The game usually lag, but what is actually happening is that the game calculate fall damage, because your character is in the air split seconds - I think sometimes it calculate wrong so the game thinks the character is high in the air which usually result
in the character dying.
It's my theory though - it would be great if someone working on the code could comment on it.

Thats probably what it is, although some of my deaths, i have been walking down the stairs and haven't cut the corner a little like in the link. Also my in game name changed back to my name when i changed servers! If it is a bug, this one is killing me! hopefully they look into it sooner rather than later, i just filed a ticket in the bug tracker.

Don't climb random barns in the middle of nowhere while carrying VSS? Especially after dying to stairs 3 times before.

• Like 2

Bug i did some pretty heavy testing in .48 to .54 about why you die. Never carry an item in your hands while above the standard ground heights.

That death is falling through the world, possible desync. It doesnt know what to do with your character so you just die.

I had it happen on top of the ATC on NWAF. I wasnt near the blue lockers, 1-50 man server myself and another person i knew on the NWAF all of a sudden i went dead for no reason.

Body was thrown out the backside of the ATC, where only some of my gear was there. The main gun might have went poof through the floor.

And it wasn't my friend doing it either, or cheaters it was a glitch. I had a gun in my hand i believe but where i died may have been in the floor. So i am going to blame it on desync. Possible gun in your hand thing again.

Normally this was an issue with guns in your hands going up the firehouse stairs. Now i see randomly weird issues like this. Desync with infected leads me to believe more is about to happen, in NWAF.

So never put something in your hands even after .48

Don't climb random barns in the middle of nowhere while carrying VSS? Especially after dying to stairs 3 times before.

Thanks.... 

I've broken my legs and ruined my pants and their contents by running over those discarded shipping pallets you can see nearly everywhere, and I'm talking about the ones laying flat on the ground. This is a fairly long-standing issue, so be careful on any non-graded elevation changes. To use stairs is to take your life into your own hands!

There's also an invisibility glitch at the moment, so there's the possibility that someone actually shot or struck you and you were just unable to hear them because of the bug; not sure if it also prevents the invisible from making noises.

.59 stable is better than experimental, but there is still random lag spikes. More than once I have died to lag while on stairs. That is the most likely cause. 

I think what Ori42 wrote is probably right. I only died to this once recently. It was still in 0.59 experimental and I ran up the small blue ramp on the TEC industrial building (the one with the blue roofs + ramps). I had a strong feeling it placed me on the roof on top of me, instead on the actual ramp for a second (though it wasn't visible). Very confusing stuff, but it happening so often to you is odd. The name change is even weirder. 

Maybe change your habits for now. There is nothing upstairs that can't be found downstairs as well. If you use NewUI you also see what is on the floors above you and can often even pick it up from the ground (bug). 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Just had this happen exiting a log cabin style house.  So, not even elevated stairs, just the couple steps into the main house...

Ugh.

• Like 1

I think what Ori42 wrote is probably right. I only died to this once recently. It was still in 0.59 experimental and I ran up the small blue ramp on the TEC industrial building (the one with the blue roofs + ramps). I had a strong feeling it placed me on the roof on top of me, instead on the actual ramp for a second (though it wasn't visible). Very confusing stuff, but it happening so often to you is odd. The name change is even weirder. 

Maybe change your habits for now. There is nothing upstairs that can't be found downstairs as well. If you use NewUI you also see what is on the floors above you and can often even pick it up from the ground (bug). 

Yeah i guess my feet will be firmly planted on the ground till this gets fixed! No more shooting peopl...er... cattle from rooftops any more  :D

Its odd because .59 exp was great for me, didnt have any problems of this nature. My name is now stuck on what is usually is, when i try to change it, it just reverts back to what it was each time i play, not sure if this is a new thing.

It would be great if there was a qiuckfix in the next patch or so untill they have more time to get to the cause of it. Maybe just disable fall damage after 30 mins of spawning in, so bambis can still jump off roofs but the rest of us arent rocking back and forth with severe bathmophobia!!

It would be great if there was a qiuckfix in the next patch or so untill they have more time to get to the cause of it. Maybe just disable fall damage after 30 mins of spawning in, so bambis can still jump off roofs but the rest of us arent rocking back and forth with severe bathmophobia!!

The fix is an actual realtime physics system that is the goal for the standalone/beta. Talk is cheap though (and they do a lot of it), but let's see/hope the devs deliver on that. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Its odd because .59 exp was great for me, didnt have any problems of this nature. My name is now stuck on what is usually is, when i try to change it, it just reverts back to what it was each time i play, not sure if this is a new thing.

Did you maybe fiddle with the config files? Had that issue a long time ago.

I proposed a long time ago that fall damage be removed or reduced to leg breaking to make the so called "leg-break bug" not kill me all the time and also remove suicides. People didn't like it though.

I haven't had this bug since 0-57 myself though. I do get leg damage for no reason sometimes though. It can happen just walking in the woods or in a one story building. or swimming.

The fix is an actual realtime physics system that is the goal for the standalone/beta. Talk is cheap though (and they do a lot of it), but let's see/hope the devs deliver on that. 

Yeah, there's still a similar issue with clipping / physics in Arma3.

Frequently i'll walk into a guard rail/handrail or a coniffer tree and the game will slay me and throw me into the air.  I'll get stuck in rocks or concrete ramps and need to V key spam it out of there (if lucky and not slayed and thrown into air)..

Or i'll be playing SC, and running down the stairs of a tower, only to be going so fast that with my insane amount of surface area, develop enough drag to force myself into flight, and shoot over the waist high barrier to a plummeting two storeys of death.

These issues have been in Arma3 for over 1year now.  And then there's other (sideways) frustrating inconsistencies between DayZ and Arma (yes i know, different games etc) where DayZ has running vault (sometimes) and Arma doesn't, and Arma has incremental stances and DayZ doesn't (allegedly because it feels too 'military').  But now i'm ranting and need a litmus test to take me back on topic:

There's probably a swathe of reasons why these issues happen, and for me they are quite sporadic (though no less painful when they do occur).  That said, don't let the fear of death stop you from opening some poor sap's cranium from three storeys high.  Scale those office blocks sir, and let the bodies hit the floor!

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

I've never died on stairs, but that's probably because I'm so cautious.

Always walk up and down stairs, and don't cut corners. Hasn't failed me so far.