venkman302

Veteran walked Cherno to Kamensk. Low loot in .58 - The Good and Bad

Hello everyone,

I have been playing dayz since the mod and all through the standalone.  With the new patch, I thought I'd walk and hit almost every building from Cherno to Kamensk (and plenty more east and west) and see how the loot was with persistence in.  This is on a private server "UN" which has 2 servers ...both well populated.

Long story short, I do have a mosin with a few rounds, axe, food, water etc.  There does seem to be a decent balance in the game now regarding loot.  Not too easy, a bit rare, not too tough.  That being said, I can't help but wonder how you all feel about this currently.  As a veteran player who also a young businessman in his low 30's...I don't have TONS of time to play games.  I'd love to log into dayz and have things move along a BIT faster.  No major complaints here...but after hitting major barracks, loot areas, etc...I hardly picked up any weaponry.  Some, but it was pretty light.

Well dayz travelers...your thoughts and experiences with loot in .58?  Let's have a friendly chat 

So you fall in the middle between the people who want to spawn in full mil gear with a kitted m4 and me who wants it to take 15 or more hours of struggling just to get a healthy status.

I only play one game at a time and immerse myself completely in it even tailoring my work schedule around it at times but get there's all sides of the spectrum.

That's going to be a tough probably impossible task for the developers and think we're going to have to wait for modding to tailor our DayZ experience into the game we want out of it.  

• Like 1

It will be like that from now on. It probably feels boring now without zombies, but it will only get harder good loot fast and easy. If you want fast action, wait for mods. There will be mods with tons of military weapons like Overwatch was for dayz mod

Examine what is a fun evening of gaming is to yourself. 

Some nights you might only be able to walk... and I dont mean sprintrun, between 2-3 towns.  Maybe you have a rough go of it. 

Maybe you spend an entire night looking for a suitably large backpack.  Maybe its ammo for the lone gun you came across, and you're psyched when you find a dead body with the same gun and 3 bullets in it.

The goal for me, every session, is to survive.  That comes in many different forms.

I enjoy the way it is atm but then again i dont pvp and usually always play lone wolf. My current char on greenscream friendly server has been alive for probably 10 hours now. He has pretty good gear from what i can tell. Mountain pack, motorbike helmet, p1 pistol with mag, pistol grip shotgun with 25 rounds, fireaxe, hunter pants, holster for vest (would love to replace that at some point since i dont use my longhorn). Few water bottles and canteens and like 1 can of food. Not much food to be found out there it seems. Been trying my hardest to find garden lime to tan some hides to make a new vest. Rockin a poofy jacket for forever since ive not been lucky enough to find an m65 (or whatever its called). But yeah, if i could get cooking to work itd be great since i shot 2 cows and had tons of steak but wouldnt let me turn them in to cooked steaks... but i digress. So far this patch has been pretty sweet, just needs zombies lol

Edited by cash81

I think the loot isn't too bad but I think there's some issues with it.

Loot respawn is the problem I have.  I'm not positive about the system at this point, but my understanding was taking an item from one location causes it spawn in a different location throughout the entire map.  The result being, coastal towns end up barren and places like the mil bases get picked of their weapons quickly.  Only encouraging picking a very low pop server to gear up, or server hopping.

I don't expect to find what I want every time I go to a location, but what I want is the feeling that I have the potential and if I don't, that I can leave and come back later and reasonably expect another chance.  Right now it doesn't feel that way.

The other thing I greatly dislike is looting multiple completely empty buildings in a row.  That just ends up feeling bad.  I'd rather find gear I don't want/need than nothing at all, even if it's a single item.  To that end I wouldn't mind if things like empty cans were reintroduced and maybe some more "trash" items.

Basically, I am fine with having to take time to gear up, I just want the experience to be hopeful rather than random.

• Like 1

*snip*

But yeah, if i could get cooking to work itd be great since i shot 2 cows and had tons of steak but wouldnt let me turn them in to cooked steaks... but i digress. So far this patch has been pretty sweet, just needs zombies lol

Cut a branch form a tree, put steak on it, equip, face any fire, you get the option to "pose stick towards fire", you see the meat change to cooked, eat it and run a real random risk of food poisoning right now. You can't get sick again while you are sick so you can just keep eating meat to get through it If you don't mind being greyed out and one little hit from KO'd for 3 hours.

• Like 1

Cut a branch form a tree, put steak on it, equip, face any fire, you get the option to "pose stick towards fire", you see the meat change to cooked, eat it and run a real random risk of food poisoning right now. You can't get sick again while you are sick so you can just keep eating meat to get through it If you don't mind being greyed out and one little hit from KO'd for 3 hours.

I tried that pose stick and it didnt do anything to the meat. Sat there for over a minute, how long do i need to wait for a change? It didnt even turn red like t was getting hot...

• Like 1

I tried that pose stick and it didnt do anything to the meat. Sat there for over a minute, how long do i need to wait for a change? It didnt even turn red like t was getting hot...

Dunno, it seems like less than or close to a minute, never timed it I'm always close enough to add wood to the fire because I use sticks. Been working fine for me, I also always carry a full pumpkin on a stick as backup food and can heat the whole thing over and over to carry as a heatpack when it's raining or I go swimming.

It will not show up red/heated until you shoulder the stick or take it back into your inventory. 

Dunno, it seems like less than or close to a minute, never timed it I'm always close enough to add wood to the fire because I use sticks. Been working fine for me, I also always carry a full pumpkin on a stick as backup food and can heat the whole thing over and over to carry as a heatpack when it's raining or I go swimming.

It will not show up red/heated until you shoulder the stick or take it back into your inventory.

Ill have to try it some more. Did they also remove "blow on embers" because that didnt come for me either.

Sorry to threadjack, OP lol

• Like 1

I want DayZ to be ten times harder than Bloodborne and DS2 combined. As a fan of brutally difficult games, I have very high hopes for DayZ - and scarcity of loot makes the game harder.

• Like 1

I want DayZ to be ten times harder than Bloodborne and DS2 combined. As a fan of brutally difficult games, I have very high hopes for DayZ - and scarcity of loot makes the game harder.

Agree to the extent that i dont want to be walking around with top end mil gear after running to one barrack and calling it a day. But there has to be a balance. No point in having all these animals to hunt if all you have is a lead pipe. I guess it would end up like H1Z1 where everyone is using makeshift bow and arrow.

I carried shotgun shells for hours before stumbling upon a pistol grip shotgun in a big construction site. The gun was the only piece of loot in the whole area.... i took it as a sign from the dayz gods lol

Agree to the extent that i dont want to be walking around with top end mil gear after running to one barrack and calling it a day. But there has to be a balance. No point in having all these animals to hunt if all you have is a lead pipe. I guess it would end up like H1Z1 where everyone is using makeshift bow and arrow.

I carried shotgun shells for hours before stumbling upon a pistol grip shotgun in a big construction site. The gun was the only piece of loot in the whole area.... i took it as a sign from the dayz gods lol

So make a spear, or a sling, or a "rabbit stick", or a bow and arrow (In all seriousness, the H1Z1 "starter bow" is the most realistic "survival" bow I have ever seen in a video game. The makeshift one you make with some sticks and rags? It is called a "bundle bow", and is perfectly usable on large game, albeit at close range. A "bundle bow" is infinitely more realistic than the current "bent stick with string" PoS we have)

Survival shouldn't be "handed" to you, regardless of what gear you have. You should have to work at it. Want to eat, and survive another day? Go chase down that rabbit with that pipe. Don't just give up because you don't have a gun.

Of course, I want there to be far more "small game" available in game: shellfish and seaweed and seagulls along the coast, pigeons and rats in the cities, as well as their being much more available food to forage for in the wilds, namely cattails. Literally, there are enough cattail in game to feed hundreds of people, and the fact that I can see, but not gather it, is starting to piss me off.

"Survival is the exception. Extinction (read: death) is the rule" Carl Sagan

So make a spear, or a sling, or a "rabbit stick", or a bow and arrow (In all seriousness, the H1Z1 "starter bow" is the most realistic "survival" bow I have ever seen in a video game. The makeshift one you make with some sticks and rags? It is called a "bundle bow", and is perfectly usable on large game, albeit at close range. A "bundle bow" is infinitely more realistic than the current "bent stick with string" PoS we have)

Survival shouldn't be "handed" to you, regardless of what gear you have. You should have to work at it. Want to eat, and survive another day? Go chase down that rabbit with that pipe. Don't just give up because you don't have a gun.

Of course, I want there to be far more "small game" available in game: shellfish and seaweed and seagulls along the coast, pigeons and rats in the cities, as well as their being much more available food to forage for in the wilds, namely cattails. Literally, there are enough cattail in game to feed hundreds of people, and the fact that I can see, but not gather it, is starting to piss me off.

"Survival is the exception. Extinction (read: death) is the rule" Carl Sagan

I agree there needs to be much more to hunt/forage if they intend on making the canned stuff extremely rare. I would love to take down rabits or squirel with the sportster or trumpet if i couldnt find wire for a snare. Or collect anything more than apples. I cant wait for all that to be implemented but as of now we are stuck picking apples again if you start getting hungry after visiting an empty town. Like i said, looking forward to the future survival options :)

Hello everyone,

I have been playing dayz since the mod and all through the standalone.  With the new patch, I thought I'd walk and hit almost every building from Cherno to Kamensk (and plenty more east and west) and see how the loot was with persistence in.  This is on a private server "UN" which has 2 servers ...both well populated.

Long story short, I do have a mosin with a few rounds, axe, food, water etc.  There does seem to be a decent balance in the game now regarding loot.  Not too easy, a bit rare, not too tough.  That being said, I can't help but wonder how you all feel about this currently.  As a veteran player who also a young businessman in his low 30's...I don't have TONS of time to play games.  I'd love to log into dayz and have things move along a BIT faster.  No major complaints here...but after hitting major barracks, loot areas, etc...I hardly picked up any weaponry.  Some, but it was pretty light.

Well dayz travelers...your thoughts and experiences with loot in .58?  Let's have a friendly chat 

I too have little time to play due to work and family stuff. More like mid-30s for me though ;)

Funnily enough, one of the reasons I am enjoying DayZ so much (especially .58) is because of the way I can achieve something valuable in just 10 or 15 minutes of play. Could be loads of things: get to water fountain, find a barrel, do a spot of helicopter searching, check out a location I've not been to before, go cross country between two towns (found someone's tent yesterday!), camp tent city while writing an email or two, go looting, check up on & top up my stashes etc etc. 

When you say you'd like things to move a bit faster, that implies some sort of end goal. What is that goal? I came to DayZ from Elite: Dangerous where many people asked the same sort of question. The difference there was that it could take ages to do just one small and tedious action so I got bored of that as I don;t have time to 'waste'. The only other game I play is Battlefield 4 for a quick fix and often after a couple of beers. DayZ and booze don't really mix!

The only thing I struggle to do in DayZ is team up with anyone because I've got so little control over when I can play. Normally when I see people I end up dead, which gets annoying sometimes.

DayZ and booze don't really mix!

Nonsense, having some drinks makes gearing up all the better.

Nonsense, having some drinks makes gearing up all the better.

Well, perhaps nonsense for you, but I take more risks and have no patience after a few and almost inevitably end up dead.

My issue is it's a lot easier to get a gun for sniping or even an automatic weapon than it is to get a semi-auto mid-range gun like the sks.

about a week in & I found a pistol suppressor... only to have it & the gun it's on magically vanish into my completely empty bag after drinking a soda :huh:
  yeah, no major complaints here  <_<
I mean, at this point it's kind of expected...  :rolleyes:
I kind of wish they would embrace the "alpha" thing and just make everything spawn like crazy everywhere (or at least specific places).  It seems like they're trying to appease the crowd of people who don't want to accept that it's a development build...  you'd think they could totally accelerate the testing if they'd stop trying to implement new gameplay mechanics as though it were the final build...  but then again, I'm probably way off on those assumptions...  I know they're trying to attack cheating head on... but you'd think... if we're supposed to be testing the game, that certain things would be possible, like spawning in whatever we want... at least on some servers...  how are we supposed to find bugs if we're stuck playing with all these restrictions?   Like "oh, I just lost my silenced pistol while drinking a soda.  HOW, am I supposed to reproduce what just happened when I JUST lost the things that were involved with whatever bug just happened?!!  Did it fall through the floor?  who the hell knows?! I have no way of checking." not complaining, it just seems odd.. I understand that some people want to have a taste of the final experience (myself included), but still...  certain things can't really be tested in a reasonable amount of time given the restrictions.  frequent total restarts on chaos servers would be.. well... kind of fun to be honest.. but more helpful for development than the snails pace builds of now.

Edited by sushimaster

i bet there are 99% of players who don´t want to fill out an feddback tracker and many did not know that devtracker exists.

if you give them the ability to start with whatever gear they want, they will dancing and singing, deathmatching all day and night but NOONE will fill an ticket because you know...lazy

about a week in & I found a pistol suppressor... only to have it & the gun it's on magically vanish into my completely empty bag after drinking a soda :huh:

yeah, no major complaints here  <_<

I mean, at this point it's kind of expected...  :rolleyes:

I kind of wish they would embrace the "alpha" thing and just make everything spawn like crazy everywhere (or at least specific places).  It seems like they're trying to appease the crowd of people who don't want to accept that it's a development build...  you'd think they could totally accelerate the testing if they'd stop trying to implement new gameplay mechanics as though it were the final build...  but then again, I'm probably way off on those assumptions...  I know they're trying to attack cheating head on... but you'd think... if we're supposed to be testing the game, that certain things would be possible, like spawning in whatever we want... at least on some servers...  how are we supposed to find bugs if we're stuck playing with all these restrictions?   Like "oh, I just lost my silenced pistol while drinking a soda.  HOW, am I supposed to reproduce what just happened when I JUST lost the things that were involved with whatever bug just happened?!!  Did it fall through the floor?  who the hell knows?! I have no way of checking." not complaining, it just seems odd.. I understand that some people want to have a taste of the final experience (myself included), but still...  certain things can't really be tested in a reasonable amount of time given the restrictions.  frequent total restarts on chaos servers would be.. well... kind of fun to be honest.. but more helpful for development than the snails pace builds of now.

I love the PVP on DayZ. I often kill on sight, and play with a group of players were our main aim to get as many kills as we can in a particular evening (we fight around NWAF and Myshkino so rarely fresh spawns before you cry foul). However with that in mind, I would hate the ability to spawn in weapons or food whenever you want. That would completely ruin every aspect of the game. I enjoy the gear-up after a death. I avoid combat until I have my essentials covered (fully energised, hydrated and healthy, waterproof coat, food, gun and ammo). The gear up can take from 15 minutes if I'm lucky, to several hours if I'm not.

When I kill a geared player, I know they've likely had to go through this whole process. For all the people that say if you just want to shoot someone, go and play on Arma or CoD, then you have absolutely no understanding of why PvP in Dayz is so good. It's not about just killing another player, it's about stealing that time from them, they've struggled to get what they had, what you've now taken. A player in a first person shooter is a just a mindless background character, they have no story, they've not done anything, they spawn with a weapon and kill, and when they die they come right back. I find that utterly boring. A fully kitted out player in DayZ is a main character, they have a history, they could have survived weeks (months if no patch wipes), they've invested time into what they're wearing, they've gone through the highs of finding decent loot. I love it when you find a player with a protector case, or ammo box, or medkit and you can see what they've deliberately decided to keep safe. You know they've probably hidden somewhere and sorted through that at some point. It's a true joy.

• Like 2

I love the PVP on DayZ. I often kill on sight, and play with a group of players were our main aim to get as many kills as we can in a particular evening (we fight around NWAF and Myshkino so rarely fresh spawns before you cry foul). However with that in mind, I would hate the ability to spawn in weapons or food whenever you want. That would completely ruin every aspect of the game. I enjoy the gear-up after a death. I avoid combat until I have my essentials covered (fully energised, hydrated and healthy, waterproof coat, food, gun and ammo). The gear up can take from 15 minutes if I'm lucky, to several hours if I'm not.

When I kill a geared player, I know they've likely had to go through this whole process. For all the people that say if you just want to shoot someone, go and play on Arma or CoD, then you have absolutely no understanding of why PvP in Dayz is so good. It's not about just killing another player, it's about stealing that time from them, they've struggled to get what they had, what you've now taken. A player in a first person shooter is a just a mindless background character, they have no story, they've not done anything, they spawn with a weapon and kill, and when they die they come right back. I find that utterly boring. A fully kitted out player in DayZ is a main character, they have a history, they could have survived weeks (months if no patch wipes), they've invested time into what they're wearing, they've gone through the highs of finding decent loot. I love it when you find a player with a protector case, or ammo box, or medkit and you can see what they've deliberately decided to keep safe. You know they've probably hidden somewhere and sorted through that at some point. It's a true joy.

Doesn't persistence take away some of the buzz though? I'm a fairly casual player and already have three barrels stashed with gear for when I get killed. This has lowered my fear of death considerably as, in a sense, it's not permadeath anymore...

Doesn't persistence take away some of the buzz though? I'm a fairly casual player and already have three barrels stashed with gear for when I get killed. This has lowered my fear of death considerably as, in a sense, it's not permadeath anymore...

I play on a private server rather than public. No secret stashes on a low pop server they can jump onto. If they have a stash, I can find it.

I play on a private server rather than public. No secret stashes on a low pop server they can jump onto. If they have a stash, I can find it.

I've been thinking a lot about moving to a private server (probably not the same one as you though!). I think I will after my next death. I can see lots of advantages. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking a lot about moving to a private server (probably not the same one as you though!). I think I will after my next death. I can see lots of advantages. 

They're a lot better experience than public, and gearing up is much more of an accomplishment without server hopping. I'm only on the server in my signature. My in-game name changes after every death. Right now I'm making my way through Russian authors. Gogol just died :(