Sign in to follow this  
Baker.

Can we agree this is feesable?

Honestly, if I were to want to conserve things, I'd not be hiding them in a stand-out-like-tetanus-infected-thumb shed.  I'd dig a hole and bury it.

If it's shelter that you're after, the door would be as a barrier to the elements more than anything... i'd be treating it like a soft-top car and leave the bastard unlocked, and rely more on alarms than barricades.

Also, it's laughable to bring up tetanus.  Sure you may be at risk of cutting yourself on said 'rusty sheet metal', exposing yourself to a vector, but if you lack 'advanced/modern medicine' i think tetanus is going to be a day-to-day struggle, given the scope of the game.  Discounting it on this basis is just ... stahp...

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

You simply need your pristine Yellow Work Gloves of +15 Tetanus Resist.

WorkingGlovesYellow.png

... or +20 carpentry softskill points.  :rolleyes:

You're wrong because thatch is the only sensible material with which to construct your post apocalypse shelter. You obviously haven't been following the thread. Throw common sense out the window and get on the thatch train, man.

• Like 1

You're wrong because thatch is the only sensible material with which to construct your post apocalypse shelter. You obviously haven't been following the thread. Throw common sense out the window and get on the thatch train, man.

It's not really about the thatch, its about can we accept that a dude could build a shit shack of some sort to keep out the elements?

but, BUT for you i made a rendering of something that goes along your lines, plywood, metal hybrid type thing, this one isn't a re-texture it some piece a poop i made myself.

video

https://vid.me/yp4S

Screenie

eI7HbnQ.jpg

Edited by B@ker

Added a door! Lol

OGCwx2d.jpg

kJZMmpx.jpg

kBPKzgp.jpg

Building basic sheds or shelters is very easy to accomplish and does't require all that much in regards to tools.  As a teen I had built servers hunting blinds, stands and a portable ice fishing shed without much trouble.  Now I am more interested in building able to build up and secure already existing buildings.  I could easily see taking up in some hidden away cabin as a base of operations for my friends and me, with a shelter out someplace with a backup stash.

• Like 1

I think it would be essential that after death you lose all access to any shelter that you've created and have to smash down the door to get in like anyone else. I don't agree with the H1Z1 style access codes that allow people to return and access their shelters after death. Death is supposed to be quite final in dayz, you lose everything, and that should include access to your shelters.

Combination locks solve that problem.

Losing your base because you died makes bases near pointless.

If you can use a hammer, something like that would not be difficult for you to build.

You might also need  a saw, a carpenters square, a string line, a spirit level. as well as know the 3-4-5 rule.  

• Like 1

But it ruins the permadeath. Permadeath is at the heart of th game. They should be destructible though and honestly if SA introduced stashes like the mod, all my stuff would be there anyways. 

You might also need  a saw, a carpenters square, a string line, a spirit level. as well as know the 3-4-5 rule.  

does that thing i made look like the dude had a square when he built it? lol

But it ruins the permadeath. Permadeath is at the heart of th game. They should be destructible though and honestly if SA introduced stashes like the mod, all my stuff would be there anyways. 

It doesn't ruin permadeath because bases can still be raided.  DayZ doesn't have permadeath any ways, they should have never called it that.  It has full looting, but you respawn.

This topic has been done to death.  The bottom line is the stuff is still vulnerable, stashes don't fill themselves, you can't erase a player's memory so no workaround would make sense any ways, and finally, you don't need to make one if you don't want to.

It doesn't ruin permadeath because bases can still be raided.  DayZ doesn't have permadeath any ways, they should have never called it that.  It has full looting, but you respawn.

This topic has been done to death.  The bottom line is the stuff is still vulnerable, stashes don't fill themselves, you can't erase a player's memory so no workaround would make sense any ways, and finally, you don't need to make one if you don't want to.

It makes sense that a wooden shack be as invulnerable as a wooden shack would be IRL, as in, not all that much.

It doesn't make sense for a character to spawn on the beach and know the code to a base. Granted there are things you cannot help such as they would know where it was located but anything to minimize making it easy to survive as you are suggesting. Its not intended to be easy, but it is intended to be realistic.

• Like 1

Check this out:

Richard_Proenneke.jpg

Proenneke_Cabin_NPS.jpg

SAM_22291.jpg

dick-proennekes-door.jpg

114438-900x360.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

Ive watched the documentary about him at least a dozen times and every time i watch it i think about doing exactly that later in life. Now if only my wife would agree lol

• Like 2

So, you altered a model of a structure that was already in the game and asked if it's feasible to craft in-game.  Obviously it matches the environment of DayZ.  Clearly, someone can make this in real life.

So the real question is where the developers want to devote resources to crafting, and how much.  Technically, anything is feasible with the right argument.  It's feasible and realistic that a super-volcano could erupt or an asteroid could hit the planet, sending us into a nuclear winter.  That doesn't mean the devs are gonna put it in.   :P  So the real answer is unknown.  It's possible the development team has something in mind already that functions just like it.

Obviously it matches the environment of DayZ. 

There were those who disagreed. 

There were those who disagreed. 

Yes, but you refuted that well enough.  

• Like 1

i made this one though :)

https://vid.me/2mTM

Lol nice! Maybe you could also have it so the smaller shed in-game can be lifted and moved with 4 guys (one per corner). That way you could save lots of time and material if you have a group to help move them.

• Like 1

Not at all if you plan on staying alive for as long as possible? I'd be in favour of padlocks or doorlocks with keys, you need to carry that key around to unlock the door. You can make copies of the keys to hand out to friends, clan members etc. This would mean if you die, someone can loot the key to your base, and easily get in if they can find your base.

You should also be able to add extra fortifications like bolts, barriers  and re-inforcements from the inside only, these would make it harder to break into, but can only be added when you're inside and would render the door unusable to leave until you move them away. So if you're in your base, you're a lot more secure (I'm talking about larger bases, not sheds), and your base is significantly more secure when you're offline if you return to your base to log off.

• Like 2

Keys would be good as long as you can make copies like you say.

Of course, there's always the issue of people just making extra accounts to always have some one to let them in.

so when do we get to pour out jerry cans and light them ala GTA5.

Yesss yessss cower inside your shack made of sticks.

muahahahhaHAHAHAHAHAhhahahaha *cough cough cough*

*i feel sick*

• Like 3

Keys would be good as long as you can make copies like you say.

Of course, there's always the issue of people just making extra accounts to always have some one to let them in.

You mean buying extra copies of the game? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

You mean buying extra copies of the game? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

welllll... not so much...

the price is probably stopping things like this from happening, but look at CS:GO, it's less expensive than CS:S / 1.6 (which is ludicrous given it's popularity relative to the others') so anyone caught hacking etc has an easy in, especially given that it sometimes drops as low as $8USD.

But buying another account just to be a donkey, at this point in time, probably yes: a bit of a stretch.

Not that BI cares either way lol..

• Like 1

welllll... not so much...

the price is probably stopping things like this from happening, but look at CS:GO, it's less expensive than CS:S / 1.6 (which is ludicrous given it's popularity relative to the others') so anyone caught hacking etc has an easy in, especially given that it sometimes drops as low as $8USD.

But buying another account just to be a donkey, at this point in time, probably yes: a bit of a stretch.

Not that BI cares either way lol..

It's just silliness to worry about people buying extra copies. If a guy wants to buy the game twice so he can have two keys to some shitshack in the bush north-west of lopatino then i say power to them. 

• Like 1

People do this in games all the time, especially mmos where you're talking about not only a 60 dollar initial price tag but an extra subscription as well.

If base security became a thing of it being vastly beneficial to just have a character logged off in the base all the time rather than risk carrying around a key I think it would become pretty common.

It's not like you're going to be able to hide these camps.  Getting some one's key is gonna end up being a quick drive/fly around the map to check where it goes.

Edited by Bororm

I'm down for any kind of building and crafting aslong as it takes time relative to what your building or crafting. I don't want it to be like H1 folks using 2 nails and 2 boards building goddamn shit shacks all over the damn place and on roads just asshattery at the highest degree. no carrying a house in your pack parts should be realistic 2 you have to carry plywood and 2x4's not put them in your pants. If they do it right and keep it as authentic as possible than all will be well. If not they better turn up the spawn of explosives because i'm gonna need them.

• Like 2