Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Radios : A Cure for Player Interaction

As it currently stands,player interaction in the game is admittedly in a very bad shape.

For me that's rather disappointing,as DayZ is essentially a game built upon player driven experiences.

A good solution would be to provide people with more incentives to communicate.

So how about we make Radios as the starting gear for all new-spawns and turn their range global?

If everyone's got one,people will surely use them as "global chat" without taking away from realism.

This would help promote interaction and bring people together.

Even though we all have our differences,it would surely benefit every play-style.

- Traders would rejoice and turn Radios into a marketplace,promoting their merchandise to possible buyers.

- Survivors would find people to cooperate and team up,arrange meetings or simply socialize.

- Bandits can listen in on other people's broadcasts and set up their ambush.

- And the rest who do not wish to interact,can simply throw away their radio.

In addition people will utilize the ingame's communication system,rather than relying only on third party communication programs (TS3,Mumbe,etc)

Although It's hardly a massive or difficult change,it could prove one of the most effective in terms of gameplay.

What is your personal views and opinions on this?

Leave me a comment below,looking forward for your feedback! :) 

• Like 9

I'd rather see slightly increased radio spawns and increased radio range. Maybe not global, but covering most of the map with audio quality degrading the further out you go.

Radios will never replace teamspeak. There's no way to prevent people from using third-party software, specially if it's better than anything in-game.

• Like 2

I'd rather see slightly increased radio spawns and increased radio range. Maybe not global, but covering most of the map with audio quality degrading the further out you go.

Radios will never replace teamspeak. There's no way to prevent people from using third-party software, specially if it's better than anything in-game.

Walkie-talkies are usually treated as junk gear,nobody really bothers with them.

Even if they indeed increase radios spawns,finding another player that actually carries one inside a limited range,is like finding a needle in the haystack.

People will never stop using third party communication software...

But making radios more common and functional,is a good start in promoting more player interaction through the ingame communication mechanics.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

It should be like finding a needle in a haystack. It's the apocalypse, after all.

Alright, last time I tried to use a radio, it went like this:

Me: This is Creeper, broadcasting on channel ( what ever channel I was on ), please respond.

Player 1: I f*cked you mom last night

Player 2: Shut up ( racial slur )

Player 3: * Blasts crap rap music *

* turns off radio and throws away *

I've played this game since early mod, every one will still use Vent, TS, Mumble or what ever, those that try to use in game coms, well, you've seen what happened, it will not stop or even slow KOS, that has been part of the game from the beginning, and pretty sure this topic has been done before, * looks at search results * yeah.............

• Like 2

It should be like finding a needle in a haystack. It's the apocalypse, after all.

That makes them junk though.

Because unlike a real Apocalypse,DayZ is actually a game.

As a game it can't simulate a post apocalyptic situation with 100% accuracy.

I know what you're thinking,don't get me wrong.

You're saying that "everyone carrying a radio is unrealistic" and you're most likely correct.

But this is a very small sacrifice in exchange of promoting more social interaction,something which SA is heavily lacking.

That makes them junk though.

Because unlike a real Apocalypse,DayZ is actually a game.

As a game it can't simulate a post apocalyptic situation with 100% accuracy.

I know what you're thinking,don't get me wrong.

You're saying that "everyone carrying a radio is unrealistic" and you're most likely correct.

But this is a very small sacrifice in exchange of promoting more social interaction,something which SA is heavily lacking.

Well, that depends on your definition of interaction. Killing someone is also interaction. And the current deathmatch state of the game isn't due to people not being able to communicate, it's due to lack of actual survival challenges.

And as TheCreeper already mentioned, giving everyone a radio off the bat is just going to lead to a lot of shenanigans.

Alright, last time I tried to use a radio, it went like this:

Me: This is Creeper, broadcasting on channel ( what ever channel I was on ), please respond.

Player 1: I f*cked you mom last night

Player 2: Shut up ( racial slur )

Player 3: * Blasts crap rap music *

* turns off radio and throws away *

I've played this game since early mod, every one will still use Vent, TS, Mumble or what ever, those that try to use in game coms, well, you've seen what happened, it will not stop or even slow KOS, that has been part of the game from the beginning, and pretty sure this topic has been done before, * looks at search results * yeah.............

Wait are you telling me you actually managed to find someone on the radio? That's great in itself! xD

• Like 2

Being able to tap into PA systems at military installations, schools, hospitals, etc would make for an interesting addition. I can just see someone(s) taking over the PA system at NWAF and announcing that the airfield is under their control or whatever from the ATC. It would give you a much larger audible radius and provide the means for some interesting situations to unfold. And if some obnoxious twat starts spamming the PA to annoy everyone, his location is fixed, and he can properly be dealt with.

Or, alternatively, the radios could be used to hail Medics of the Wasteland types. This wouldn't really be necessary at the moment, but when surviving is more difficult, I know I might start broadcasting for help if I was trapped in a building surrounded by zeds or a group of murderers.

And of course, there is the banditry/trolling potential. "I need help, please come to X location with morphine" would-be hero arrives* "I'm here, where are you?" Bang hero dead*

Radios could definitely add a lot to the game, but they could also stay worthless junk like they are now. It will be interesting to see what te devs do with them.

• Like 1

Wait are you telling me you actually managed to find someone on the radio? That's great in itself! xD

It took seven batteries, and a week of server hopping, but I did it!

It took seven batteries, and a week of server hopping, but I did it!

Wow, that's dedication. I carry a radio around when I have the room for it, but it usually ends up being dropped sooner or later. I've genuinely used it once, with a friend of mine because we couldn't get Skype to work.

Walkie-talkies are usually treated as junk gear,nobody really bothers with them.

Even if they indeed increase radios spawns,finding another player that actually carries one inside a limited range,is like finding a needle in the haystack.

People will never stop using third party communication software...

But making radios more common and functional,is a good start in promoting more player interaction through the ingame communication mechanics.

They are treated as trash, because they don't work. 

Or do they now? Last time I checked in 0.57, they didn't.

Edited by Khanarac

They are treated as trash, because they don't work. 

Or do they now? Last time I checked in 0.57, they didn't.

Nah,i don't think they work.

But even if they did,they'd still be regarded as junk.

Reasons being,they're too rare,range is limited and batteries don't spawn.

Currently,they prove only a waste of inventory space.

• Like 1

It's funny seeing all these posts of how dayz interactions is so terrible because of KOS but I think it's right where it needs to be ... I play 1PP servers and people are generally much more careful with who they shoot at but besides that I talk to at least two people per session (I stay by the shore and the NW hotspots) and about 3/4 of them are "friendly"(didn't shoot at me at least) . I think interaction is right where it needs to be , except it could improve a little by making zombies harder and I do like this radio idea but I think they should just work better and have fewer channels for now so you wouldn't stsrt with one but they would be easier to find and work better with less channels to choose from.

It's funny seeing all these posts of how dayz interactions is so terrible because of KOS but I think it's right where it needs to be ... I play 1PP servers and people are generally much more careful with who they shoot at but besides that I talk to at least two people per session (I stay by the shore and the NW hotspots) and about 3/4 of them are "friendly"(didn't shoot at me at least) . I think interaction is right where it needs to be , except it could improve a little by making zombies harder and I do like this radio idea but I think they should just work better and have fewer channels for now so you wouldn't stsrt with one but they would be easier to find and work better with less channels to choose from.

I think having one "standard channel" that is default, and the ability to input "custom channels" for more private conversations would be a way to go about things.

I agree that having too many channels makes radios that much less appealing to use. If everyone is using the same channel for hailing strangers, squads of players using TS etc might be inclined to carry one just for eavesdropping.

I feel as though radios will useful the more commonly used they are, and will only become commonly used items if they are useful. I believe this, in addition to their inherent bugginess, is the cause for their lack of use currently. I think attaching some other utility to them would help get the ball rolling.

Good news everyone!

Seems like Brian has been talking with Peter about trying out this idea on 59. Experimental! :)

They plan to turn Walkies into the starting gear and make the transmition range around a 3km radius.

However,he also talked about working on a longer range transceiver,that we'd be able to find and communicate globally throughout the whole server.

Furthermore he talked about receiving coordinates in the form of text,leading to a dynamic event.

Whether it's a heli crash or a car crash,players will be able to follow the location and go treasure hunting! ^_^

He explained that there's a lot of possibities which are gonna relly from gathering feedback,to get an idea on how players interact with them.

What I would like to see would be the addition of radios that players can broadcast to if they have the right setup.

Imagine how much that could add to the end game once proper base building is in (and I know and am very happy about the base building they're planning on rather than the actual construction of buildings).

I'd love to set up a small base, get a radio tower going with a generator and broadcast out to any survivors out there, I am Legend style. Maybe even the static radios could be listened to to add a bit more to the game, though you'd have to throw a new battery in there 80% of the time or something to get it working. How cool would it be to be on a server, throw a battery in a radio and sit there, listening for any frequencies that are broadcasting (with a simple method of switching through frequencies quickly so you don't have to sit there for an hour. :P

Maybe it's just my inner roleplayer coming out, but damn those kinds of radios would be awesome. Wouldn't really require much on top of the current walkie talkie system, either. Just some new items (obviously this would only be feasible after the generators were added in), a bit of tweaking and the conversion of the static radios to usable objects with fairly consistent spawns.

Edited by Beizs

I think more radios are a good addition. I'm surprised how many doom prophets showed up to shoot down your idea. A lot of fuss over nothing I think. You can just throw yours away first opportunity if it really bothers you.

• Like 1

Player interactions in DayZ are stupid. From what I read, everybody that see another player runs to him and wants to talk to him. And then wonder if they get shot or lack of comunication.

Hell, I dont want to comunicate to anyone, especialy armed people. Lets say Im searching for one specific item I cant find for two or more hours, last thing I want to see is someone with bush rag on his head running to me and yelling: Heyyy budyyyyy!!!. Piss off, I have enough of my problems. If I see another player, I turn away and leave.

It has allloot off potential. But it just need to be thought out very good. 

Player interactions in DayZ are stupid. From what I read, everybody that see another player runs to him and wants to talk to him. And then wonder if they get shot or lack of comunication.

Hell, I dont want to comunicate to anyone, especialy armed people. Lets say Im searching for one specific item I cant find for two or more hours, last thing I want to see is someone with bush rag on his head running to me and yelling: Heyyy budyyyyy!!!. Piss off, I have enough of my problems. If I see another player, I turn away and leave.

I've been doing this too latelyn, to a point where my mic is usually disconnected when I play. Running around with a few buddies can be fun, but most of the non-KOS people I meet are either lone wolves themselves, or groups that want to go do stupid shit like running the whole map looking for a truck, or go to a military camp to loot sweet gear.

No. Just no. Giving players the ability to use a global chat is a clusterf**k waiting to happen. Last thing I want to hear is 30-50 other people over a global chat complaining, whining, yelling, talking crap, 12 year olds attempting to be gangster, kids yelling in the background, people chewing on an open mic, etc...you get the idea. GTA online is like this and it can get annoying listening to everyone on top of wanna be bandits. If this were to happen then at least have a way to turn it off.

If you want to talk to people on the server you join, many servers have their own TeamSpeak people can join. But having everyone talking on global is a bad idea. However, like a few others here have said, having a radio or walkie talkie with a higher talking/listening range would be a better idea.

Agreed communicating with other players has been largely outsourced to 3rd party software like TS3, Vent and Raidcall.

Breaker 2-6 "Brian Hicks kicks @$#. Do you copy, over."