Sign in to follow this  
billyangstadt

sizes in clothes and equipment

As the title reads, just like a blood type, we should be assigned a size when we spawn in.

"Yes!!! Gorka pants" "damn they're small, and I'm a large"

"Smersh vest hype!!!" "Ah, medium and I'm an xl"

also, if you're wearing gear that's too big, you'll drop items from it as it swings around.

See the idea? It doesn't make a ton of sense that everything found always fits.

Edited by DanicaHamlin

As the title reads, just like a blood type, we should be assigned a size when we spawn in.

also, if you're wearing gear that's too big, you'll drop items from it as it swings around.

same with shoes/boots. why are they always in pairs? we should be running around with a tiny slipper on one foot and a large work boot on the other to go with our tiny capri pants and baggy shirt and jacket.

seems like we'd have a map full of people who look like 4 year olds that got a chance to dress themselves.

same with shoes/boots. why are they always in pairs? we should be running around with a tiny slipper on one foot and a large work boot on the other to go with our tiny capri pants and baggy shirt and jacket.

seems like we'd have a map full of people who look like 4 year olds that got a chance to dress themselves.

Good point!

Good point!

i know what you mean though lol sometimes you have to sacrifice certain aspects of reality in order to maintain the game portion. (such as wrapping yourself in a single rag after possibly being shot 4 times, never having to go to the bathroom, everyone knows how to swim and can do so with heavy gear on, etc. etc.)

Edited by cash81
  • Like 2

Personally I'd say no to this idea. Yes it would be realistic, but it would just make the game unnecessarily more complicated. Finding the gear you like best can be irritating already. And on top of that each character model would have to be unique for their sizing, and each piece of clothing would have to have a unique model for each body type. So for example let's say we have sizes XS-S-M-L-XL. That's five body types per gender. And each clothing size has to have a model to show on each size. 2x5x5=50. So every clothing item (except for universal ones such as hats) has to have 50 different model variations, which is very wasteful and pointless in my opinion.

I see this only pissing people off.

I really don't see much benefit to such a system - plus, if they wanted to make it work properly, they'd need to model different character sizes and then also make variations of each model of clothing that don't clip. Plus, it'd kind of throw the character customization out the window being that your body changes so immensely.

Blood type works because it's purely script based (not an immense workload) and actually has significant advantages to gameplay; before someone could get badly injured but as long as they had a buddy with a blood bag they'd be fine instantly, albeit with a very high chance of getting guaranteed-death sickness. Now you actually have to prepare more and can't get into firefights all willy nilly.

Clothing sizes wouldn't do anything but be annoying.

Maybe in an ultra hardcore mode one day?

Also why no socks....socks are one of the most important items of clothing when hiking.

• Like 2

Maybe in an ultra hardcore mode one day?

Also why no socks....socks are one of the most important items of clothing when hiking.

DayZ should only ever be hardcore mode.

the game wasn't meant to cater to the casual gamer too. Keyword, "wasn't"

A lot has changed in the last year.

Edited by DanicaHamlin

I actually think that's a good idea even if it is just script based. It allows for clothes to be reasonably common as resources without making them too common as gear. This way "low tier" clothes could see some use without making "high tier" clothes unreasonably rare. It also might put some emphasis on player interaction and trade as it naturally increases the number of items that are of value but cannot be used by a particular player. Though there might be features to make clothes fit if you put in enough effort.

Hello there

One issue is the amount of work and resources that would have to go into this vs the "reward" for doing so.

IF they didnt look visually different and it was just a case of entity changes, it might work. Ie tight boots will reduce ones endurance faster due to pain/uncomfyness.

Then again would all baggy clothing be bad? Im old enough to remember Robert Smith's Jumpers. Baggy but cool.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Absolutely unthinkable, having engine limitations as well as development priorities in mind. In words of Hicks/Eugene: too much work for too little gain.

I don't see what it would add other than frustration. The amount of work it would take is not really worth the outcome

• Like 1

I can appreciate where you're coming from with regards to the realism this would add, but I honestly don't believe it would add anything of quality to the game.

Struggling to find clothing in your size would be frustrating, especially if you randomly ended up with a *rarer* body size, and I don't think anybody would really enjoy that struggle.

As it is, you have to be on the look out for warm clothing and rain-proof clothing. Adding sizes is (as others have said) more work for the devs which wouldn't really be good for the game in the long run.

In an actual survival situation, if I found clothing, and it was too small for me, I would wear it anyways, or make some use from it.

"Man, I am rather cold, but this jacket is a little tight....fuck it, I'll wear it anyways"!

The only thing that I need to be the right size are shoes. Everything else would be worn, used as insulation, or ripped up for raw materials.

The size of our 'equipment' should be random when we respawn.  The bigger it is, the bigger our hitbox should be, amiright?