Sign in to follow this  
Niteowl

G.P.S.

Hi all:). Anyone know if we are ever gonna get the G.P.S. for those of us who suck at orientation? Thx.

Hi all:). Anyone know if we are ever gonna get the G.P.S. for those of us who suck at orientation? Thx.

probably, we got a range finder, so a gps wouldn't be far-fetched

(imo everyone should start with gps on experimental to report bugs and their exact location, but thats beside the point)

• Like 2

If they add GPS, lets hope iy even more rare than M4. I am not sure about.DayZ lore, but after many years of apocalypse and stuff, do you really think you cam connect to gps satellite easly. They need maintence, atleast once in 10 years.and etc. Id rather see.freshies struggle with.compass and map.

• Like 2

I doubt there will be any satelites left after the apocalypse hit the fan. At least not for very long since they need frequent maintenance and stuff...

edit

darn, JustCaused was faster.

Note to myself: at least read the last post

Edited by robophant

If they add GPS, lets hope iy even more rare than M4. I am not sure about.DayZ lore, but after many years of apocalypse and stuff, do you really think you cam connect to gps satellite easly. They need maintence, atleast once in 10 years.and etc. Id rather see.freshies struggle with.compass and map.

People really shouldn't be spawning with anything more than they are now (Even flares/chemlights are too much IMO - basic clothes are really all I think are necessary)

However, the newest GPS satellite was launched three years ago and has a twelve year lifespan, so unless DayZ takes place past 2023, most US Military satellites would still be functioning (and that's not to mention that there are other mapping satellites out there) And some satellites function far longer than their service life, they're just decommissioned because it becomes unreliable to keep using them. In the event of a worldwide apocalypse where no one is monitoring them they may very well last longer.

Also, we really don't know what's outside of Chernarus anyway (maybe the US is still untouched by the disease), and considering that helicopters still crash in the region and you can still find fresh, perishable food, my guess is that it's not long enough for satellites to stop functioning no matter what the state of the world is.

I doubt there will be any satelites left after the apocalypse hit the fan. At least not for very long since they need frequent maintenance and stuff...

edit

darn, JustCaused was faster.

Note to myself: at least read the last post

The only real maintenance satellites tend to get is software based - it's rare for astronauts to actually go up and fix a satellite unless it's absolutely necessary. GPS Satellites can last over ten years, and considering we're at a point where you can still find fresh imported food that isn't grown in the climate of Chernarus (i.e. Kiwis) I doubt all satellites are down.

Though, really, it's just thinking into it too much - if the devs find a GPS appropriate they'll add it, and if not they won't. It will most certainly be incredibly rare in any case.

• Like 1

No GPS in the AntiGame™ please.

probably, we got a range finder, so a gps wouldn't be far-fetched

(imo everyone should start with gps on experimental to report bugs and their exact location, but thats beside the point)

Or access to a lite debug menu that shows things like co-ordinates. I've found a couple of weird things in forests and such (was wondering along and found a cargo container half embedded in the ground in the middle of a forest. Was definitely not supposed to be there) but without knowing where they are I don't bother reporting them.

GPS would be cool. I daresay it won't be too useful to the veteran players who seem to know exactly where they are at all times, so maybe it could provide additional information - though I'm not sure what.

Also, as far as I'm aware, DayZ takes place weeks or months following the infection, so a lot of infrastructure, including satellites, would likely remain intact.

Or access to a lite debug menu that shows things like co-ordinates. I've found a couple of weird things in forests and such (was wondering along and found a cargo container half embedded in the ground in the middle of a forest. Was definitely not supposed to be there) but without knowing where they are I don't bother reporting them.

GPS would be cool. I daresay it won't be too useful to the veteran players who seem to know exactly where they are at all times, so maybe it could provide additional information - though I'm not sure what.

Also, as far as I'm aware, DayZ takes place weeks or months following the infection, so a lot of infrastructure, including satellites, would likely remain intact.

even if it would break the realism, GPS was in the mod and was more a convenience than a "OMG FOUND GPS GUYS!", since the guys playing longer knew anyway where they were all the time

we also never need to sleep in DayZ, always find clothing thats not to small for us, and seemingly have the keys to all doors in chernarus and stun batons working on 9V batteries

i always thought realism needs to go a bit aside for better gameplay, but for experimental, something like a debug menu would fully suffice

I appreciate all the input and comments! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the files for the G.P.S. were already in the game like a lot of other things, but just not implemented yet? Also, I would think that a G.P.S. would help a lot of people (freshies) to find and or locate a lot of places on the map that they otherwise never might have explored before! At least we know G.P.S. would not be lore breaking and def is feasible and realistic! Thx :)).

I appreciate all the input and comments! Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the files for the G.P.S. were already in the game like a lot of other things, but just not implemented yet? Also, I would think that a G.P.S. would help a lot of people (freshies) to find and or locate a lot of places on the map that they otherwise never might have explored before! At least we know G.P.S. would not be lore breaking and def is feasible and realistic! Thx :)).

The orienteering is one of the best bits of the game, especially when you're new.

The latest generation of players seem to want everything on a plate for them - hence this thread, and the legions of "where do I find X?" versions. Man up. please.

• Like 4

You can bet that if any GPS gets added it'll be extremely rare. Really the only use it'll have is for finding your exact position on the fly and (possibly) setting waypoints, otherwise you're better off just using one of the many online maps of Chernarus or finding your own way around (pretty much any direction you go from the spawn points will take you somewhere interesting)

The orienteering is one of the best bits of the game, especially when you're new.

The latest generation of players seem to want everything on a plate for them - hence this thread, and the legions of "where do I find X?" versions. Man up. please.

Well I don't fit into the "latest generation of players" category or the "wanting everything on a plate" category, so I'm glad your not talking about me! I've been playing on and off since the conception of "Dayz", and have even drawn my own Dayz map, I just feel like there's a lot of places and new places on the map: (the "castle", and the new towns) ect. that I might never find and get to experience! BTW, I do know that I'm older than you because telling someone to "Man Up" is def a sign of immaturity! So sho a little respect please! Just sayin:P.

I started pretty early in the mod (couple months in) and they had GPS, so while I do partially agree with the sentiment of gamers wanting everything handed to them any more, I gotta disagree that this particular topic applies.

You only really need to play the game a few weeks and if you have a basic sense of direction you learn the map really quick.  It's not actually that large, and there's tons of landmarks.  As was mentioned in this thread already, finding a gps in the mod for people who know the map wasn't much of a benefit.  Those people who just have an inherent difficulty in navigation get the benefit of another type of valuable item to search for.  Which at the end of the day, is a large portion of what DayZ is all about, finding particular items you want :)

• Like 1

My son and I use the iZurvive app on our phones and tablets and the in game compass. I've memorized most of the map but if we want to meet after spawning in or get somewhere in a straight line avoiding roads and towns it can give you a compass bearing and jog/sprint time. You still have to figure out where you are initially but it's a fun way to learn to read a topographical map and use a compass properly.  

Well I don't fit into the "latest generation of players" category or the "wanting everything on a plate" category, so I'm glad your not talking about me! I've been playing on and off since the conception of "Dayz", and have even drawn my own Dayz map, I just feel like there's a lot of places and new places on the map: (the "castle", and the new towns) ect. that I might never find and get to experience! BTW, I do know that I'm older than you because telling someone to "Man Up" is def a sign of immaturity! So sho a little respect please! Just sayin:P.

There are at least three "castles" - Black Mountain, Devil's and Zub. I haven't needed a GPS to find them.

This has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with the resourcefulness you need to survive and get around.

My son and I use the iZurvive app on our phones and tablets and the in game compass. I've memorized most of the map but if we want to meet after spawning in or get somewhere in a straight line avoiding roads and towns it can give you a compass bearing and jog/sprint time. You still have to figure out where you are initially but it's a fun way to learn to read a topographical map and use a compass properly.

You are real MVP father Ive ever seen. I wish my father was like that.

There are at least three "castles" - Black Mountain, Devil's and Zub. I haven't needed a GPS to find them.

There is also Rog, right above Elektro, part of one of my favorite loot-routes (Elektor -> Rog -> Msta -> Dolina -> Factory, and from then on either direction NWAF or coast, be sure to take the deerstand north of rog with you, almost always a Hunting scope in there)

Then i think at Altar is also a new castle with a tower, and Skalisty Island has a pretty big castle as well

so all in all 6 castles afaik

i love looting castles and getting a nice view from the tower tops, have yet to bash someone's skull in with a mace though

Edited by Zombo

DayZ is set right after the apocolipse So sat tracking would likey work.

Hello there

id like GPS, but perhaps have it in the form of an old Windoze / Robotz phone rather than an uber cool milspec version. Cracked screen only available with Iphonez.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a GPS again. They were quite helpful during the mod days (sometimes). 

Hello there

id like GPS, but perhaps have it in the form of an old Windoze / Robotz phone rather than an uber cool milspec version. Cracked screen only available with Iphonez.

Rdgs

LoK

Sounds awesome Lok!!!

or maybe bent a bit if its the iphone 6^^

omg imagine a modified Nokia3210 having GPS ability, those things would be indestructible and perfect for an apocalypse!

Hello there

This is also how I wanted night vision to be included.

By using a "night cam" app on your phone, so the majority of the screen is dark and you can just see through your phone's screen in a poor night vision.

Ultra spooky.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

This is also how I wanted night vision to be included.

By using a "night cam" app on your phone, so the majority of the screen is dark and you can just see through your phone's screen in a poor night vision.

Ultra spooky.

Rgds

LoK

not only ultra spooky, also very probable, every phone with a camera can be modified very easily to funtion as a NV camera, you just need to remove the infrared-filter and there you go^^

• Like 1

Using the phone could also be an interesting way of adding in some background music, you could find headphones that you could put attach and listen to music stored on the device...