Sign in to follow this  
therandomredstone

Compensator

So the Mosin Compensator increases accuracy.

But since it increases accuracy, what does the accuracy increase compensate for? Reduced ____?

But since it increases accuracy, what does the accuracy increase compensate for? Reduced ____?

Rephrase the question, I don't get it.

com·pen·sate
ˈkämpənˌsāt/  
verb
verb: compensate; 3rd person present: compensates; past tense: compensated; past participle: compensated; gerund or present participle: compensating
  1. 1.
    (doesn't matter)
  2. 2.
    make up for (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect.

The increased accuracy from the compensator, compensates for the lack of ____

Rephrase the question, I don't get it.

Does it increase accuracy of the first bullet you shoot? I thought the idea was it reduces recoil/barrel rise so you have more chance of being accurate with your subsequent shots.

tbh I'm not sure what dispersion is in arma - is it like the movement of the barrel after a shot or is it a random factor added to calculate bullet trajectory? I may be wrong but whatever it is, I've a feeling the compensator reduces that.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

Posting the dictionary defintion for a different word really makes no sense

• Like 1

The increased accuracy from the compensator, compensates for the lack of ____

Compensates for the lack of... accuracy? I don't get it. It's not the lack of anything.

It's called a compensator because of the second definition you posted. It does what the in-game description says. It directs the force of the gases from the muzzle blast in a certain direction so you will have less recoil or muzzle rise.

The effect this thing currently has in DayZ is completely unrealistic and IMO, they shouldn't have added it. In real life those cheap clamp-on brakes are pretty useless on a Mosin. It certainly won't increase the accuracy. It doesn't affect the recoil yet.

• Like 3

As stated before, the compensator allows the gasses to exit in whatever direction to avoid muzzle climb. This is really only useful in semi or full auto weapons since the follow-up shots can be done very quickly so keeping the muzzle as steady as possible is important. On a bolt action your follow ups are much slower so you would usually be able to reacquire your target again without the need for the compensator.

• Like 1

It just lowers the base dispersion value in game, so it compensates for a higher dispersion number in the files.

I have one on my SKS IRL and it compensates for the big round ball of smoke coming out the barrel with two cool ass jets of smoke coming out the sides. It also compensates for it looking less badass by making it look more badass and changes the sound a little. 

• Like 2

In theory it may have some relevance to a single shot, bolt-action rifle in the same way that a muzzle brake on a tank gun does. It directs the gases immediately following the projectile such that there is less vibration at the end of the muzzle.

In practice this might translate to lower dispersion - ie greater accuracy at distance, but IRL only larger calibre 'sniper' rifles seem to have them.

edit: what Basher said.

Edited by Mookie

I think the compensator is one of the few attachment where the dispersion reduction actually makes a little bit of sense. Though it's actual use should be recoil reduction - which it actually does ingame (but so do some scopes*).

*It makes a certain amount of sense as scopes increase the mass of your weapon but in DayZ it roughly seems to be linked to zoom factor probably to make it easier to snipe (which I do not consider a good design decision at all). However, scopes reducing dispersion or adjusting to the round fired makes no sense at all.

In practice this might translate to lower dispersion - ie greater accuracy at distance, but IRL only larger calibre 'sniper' rifles seem to have them.

I'd dispute that, the bullet is gone long before your body would react to the powder being lit.

It's a really stupid addon for the rifle where its only purpose I hope was to test the attachment system.

I'd dispute that, the bullet is gone long before your body would react to the powder being lit.

It's a really stupid addon for the rifle where its only purpose I hope was to test the attachment system.

Dispute away - the principle is well understood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzzle_brake

It's not really about your body.

Compensates for the lack of... accuracy? I don't get it. It's not the lack of anything.

It's called a compensator because of the second definition you posted. It does what the in-game description says. It directs the force of the gases from the muzzle blast in a certain direction so you will have less recoil or muzzle rise.

The effect this thing currently has in DayZ is completely unrealistic and IMO, they shouldn't have added it. In real life those cheap clamp-on brakes are pretty useless on a Mosin. It certainly won't increase the accuracy. It doesn't affect the recoil yet.

Very true. Some of the weapons don't feel very realistic. I've yet to fire an actual weapon that isn't easily controllable  with training. I haven't shot anything that sways off as much as it does in Dayz, unless on full auto without you making an effort to aim lower and to the right as you fire it on auto (I am left handed).

the amount of rise in the gun after the shot

the amount of rise in the gun after the shot

In real life yes that's the idea, direct gasses up and or back to reduce climb and or straight back recoil by directing energy that would otherwise be wasted.

In game unless anything has change it lowers the dispersion of every shot from first to last individually.

Made up numbers for examples here but it's how it works, say the gun has a base dispersion of 10 the stock gun will use the RNG to land the shot within a 10 unit radius of the point of aim, attach the compesator and the dispersion gets reduced to say 6 so the shots will land randomly within a 6 unit radius.

It should also reduce the RNG amount the gun is thrown off your aim point due to simulated recoil after the shot in some way but that's of minor benefit with bolt actions, the mp5 for example would benefit from that part.      

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 2

Very nice thread, I didn't know why the compensator was used for either ingame or IRL. Very interesting tbh.

In a lot of real life cases they also compensate for being able to attach or otherwise deploy your bayonet by making you unable to do so. My SKS is a Russian made one with a Norinco compensator adapted with a split ring my dad made on the lathe for the stepped barrel the Norinco pattern rifles deleted to speed manufacture. It compensates for being able to fold my mirror polished bayonet 180 degrees making it a useless piece of bling stuck in it's folded position tastefully accenting the matching polished bolt.    

• Like 1

In a lot of real life cases they also compensate for being able to attach or otherwise deploy your bayonet by making you unable to do so. My SKS is a Russian made one with a Norinco compensator adapted with a split ring my dad made on the lathe for the stepped barrel the Norinco pattern rifles deleted to speed manufacture. It compensates for being able to fold my mirror polished bayonet 180 degrees making it a useless piece of bling stuck in it's folded position tastefully accenting the matching polished bolt.    

M8, to you have pics of your SKS? Its a shame here in Brazil we can't have guns tbh, I would LOVE to have a SKS, or maybe a bolt action rifle!

M8, to you have pics of your SKS? Its a shame here in Brazil we can't have guns tbh, I would LOVE to have a SKS, or maybe a bolt action rifle!

Never really took pictures and it's still hidden in the rafters from when I went away to Mexico last winter.

This is what we do to celebrate Christmas when my middle brother makes it out for the holidays.

Wish I had the money when he sold that 22cal SCARL clone.

• Like 1

Never really took pictures and it's still hidden in the rafters from when I went away to Mexico last winter.

This is what we do to celebrate Christmas when my middle brother makes it out for the holidays.

Wish I had the money when he sold that 22cal SCARL clone.

Ahahhahah man that looks so much fun, the little girl face when she shoots the SKS hahhaha! Really cool tbh, I'm amazed by how loud the SKS is

Fuck I want a Christmas like this now lol!

Edited by Avant-Garde

It's a shame because Brazil's extreme gun regulation has done almost nothing to stop people from getting them. I remember watching some video where Brazilian police seized like 11 different Glocks from someone's car at a traffic stop (and that probably wasn't all they had, either)

• Like 1

It's a shame because Brazil's extreme gun regulation has done almost nothing to stop people from getting them. I remember watching some video where Brazilian police seized like 11 different Glocks from someone's car at a traffic stop (and that probably wasn't all they had, either)

Weapons are everywhere here man, you can't have them legally which results in banditry armed to the teeth while workers can't have a simple revolver to defend themselves. You know what the really sad part is? We are totally dependent on the police to provide our safety, and guess, police in Brazil is just another failed institution here, as every institution we have (schools, health system, Government and so on). Oh well, thats third world right... only a goddamn revolution to save us, in my opinion.

Weapons are everywhere here man, you can't have them legally which results in banditry armed to the teeth while workers can't have a simple revolver to defend themselves. You know what the really sad part is? We are totally dependent on the police to provide our safety, and guess, police in Brazil is just another failed institution here, as every institution we have (schools, health system, Government and so on). Oh well, thats third world right... only a goddamn revolution to save us, in my opinion.

Well, yeah. You know there's a problem when half the time criminals are caught and "dealt with", it's by off-duty officers who just happened to be there, and the rest seems to be by the military police force. And when that's still not enough so they deploy soldiers and special ops in poor areas because it's that bad. I wish you good luck in your country, because even though it's very nice in many places, you can't be too sure anywhere.

But anyway, this is a bit off topic. Brazil =/= Compensators :P

• Like 1

Heard a theory from sum old timers I used to run with, that when they removed the bipod they added the compensator so accuracy stayed the same or on par, might have been so the tears that flowed afterwards were reduced maybe ;) Can anyone confirm?