cptavpr0metheus

Why are there no basements and caves in DayZ?

The world of Chernarus feels really flat to me, not much differences to spot and often I miss something like a horror feeling. That's of course because of the Engine which I don't like anyway, but also there are missing scenes like searching for loot in dark basements and caves.

Buildings in general seem very unimmersive to me. DayZ takes too much part in the free wilds instead of heaving real cities in which you have to sneak around zombies and stuff (I think of games like The Last of Us). And that again is probably because of the engine. Performance is already bad enough^^

However, at least some basements and caves would be a cool addition. What do you think?

I like the idea, some caves would definitely be a cool addition, looking around with your homemade torch would be pretty scary, maybe some zeds in there, maybe another player waiting to ambush you, would be awesome! Basements could be a good location for tools etc too.

and turtles.....

I'd craft a rope from the hairs on my back to lash two turtles together as a raft to get to prison island.

• Like 2

It's not possible, from my understanding, to build, or have structures below the base level of the map. Soz.

It's not possible, from my understanding, to build, or have structures below the base level of the map. Soz.

Sorry if this dumb, but then could they not just lower the base level? Lol

• Like 1

It isn't because of the engine it's because they haven't gotten that far along with the blueprint of what will come later. Did you ever play the mod? That had a least a little bit of a setting with some scenes of dead bodies and ruined apocalyptic parts to cities. They have it planned to become more like it should... If it ever gets out of alpha. Right now it is like walking around in a big park. I haven't seen a zombie in about a month. 

And there are underground structures, well the holes in the far northern military base. And in the mod there were mines on the Namalsk map so the engine can do what you are on about. Just might take a decade lol.

I've always said it wants some caves and mines and a river or two going through Chernarus. Before SA came out the basebuilding they spoke of back then was supposed to be all underground dug out bases and stashes and what not. 

Again, might take a decade or two..

• Like 1

one thing i LOVED about namalsk was having to get low, down and dirty in that underground base, with one way in and out lol

we need dark, underground CQB in this game please

was the shit

I think this was covered a while ago. There are issues with lighting and world geometry that need to be addressed first. Making underground areas is possible (and I'm pretty sure its something the devs want to do) but it'd not be ideal. Look at the underground bunkers that are already in-game. They're not truly underground, they're just in a ditch that has a cover on it because the ground (grass, dirt and such) can't be deleted, it can only be moved out of the way. Presumably it can only be moved up and down. In order to have proper underground areas, the engine needs to be able to support removal of terrain, or something similar.

I'd love it if underground areas became a thing. I'd like to see a bunker sure, but it'd also be cool to have a sewage system underneath the main towns. The sewers shouldn't have any loot in them (bar maybe the odd junk item or tool) but they should be an alternative way to navigate towns - perhaps a way to avoid infected when they become a threat.

• Like 5

I think this was covered a while ago. There are issues with lighting and world geometry that need to be addressed first. Making underground areas is possible (and I'm pretty sure its something the devs want to do) but it'd not be ideal. Look at the underground bunkers that are already in-game. They're not truly underground, they're just in a ditch that has a cover on it because the ground (grass, dirt and such) can't be deleted, it can only be moved out of the way. Presumably it can only be moved up and down. In order to have proper underground areas, the engine needs to be able to support removal of terrain, or something similar.

I'd love it if underground areas became a thing. I'd like to see a bunker sure, but it'd also be cool to have a sewage system underneath the main towns. The sewers shouldn't have any loot in them (bar maybe the odd junk item or tool) but they should be an alternative way to navigate towns - perhaps a way to avoid infected when they become a threat.

I like that! However imagine that performance :D Even now I cannot run thru bigger cities, which is not only because of my rig^^

• Like 1

I'd love to see in some cities a sewer system or underground walk-ways that you could use to move around the city unseen.  Would add a very cool dynamic to the game and fairly realistic.  

I'd love to see in some cities a sewer system or underground walk-ways that you could use to move around the city unseen.  Would add a very cool dynamic to the game and fairly realistic.  

Well I don't think that 2nd world post communistic countries have sewer system like in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

• Like 3

Well I don't think that 2nd world post communistic countries have sewer system like in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...

Haha yeah guess so. 

However.... those larger blocks of flats could not drain into small pipes. There would be some larger piper workings to support buildings like that and the factories in Cherno.

• Like 1

They did it before, they can do it again.

Haha yeah guess so. 

However.... those larger blocks of flats could not drain into small pipes. There would be some larger piper workings to support buildings like that and the factories in Cherno.

Never bothered to figure out where I actually was but on the uphill side of one of the larger towns inland there was 2-3 manhole cover in the fields on the outskirts. Any thing like that I've seen IRL drops down in to an 8+ foot pipe going horizontal or at least a decent sized rectangular junction box. 

Never bothered to figure out where I actually was but on the uphill side of one of the larger towns inland there was 2-3 manhole cover in the fields on the outskirts. Any thing like that I've seen IRL drops down in to an 8+ foot pipe going horizontal or at least a decent sized rectangular junction box. 

Could have been the pointy hill replacement

Could have been the pointy hill replacement

No it most certainly wasn't.

They were cast iron manhole covers on a slightly conical concrete protruding pipe. About 3-4 feet across and 10-12 inches above the ground.

The pointy hill monument is 8-10 feet across and has a saying saying what it it.

Namalsk had some and it was amazing. We can only pray for its return. I thought it was a lot more fun than Chernarus, and complimented it quite well...

Hello there

it's been shown that different forks of the RV engine can indeed handle underground structures.

Whether it is in DAYZ's scope or budget is another thing entirely.

One thing you can bet on, if we (the public) have thought of it you can be fairly sure the devs have considered it also.

Remember this is what they do all day.

I will be surprised if at some stage we dont get at the very least basements.

When? I cannot say, nor can I say with certainty that it will happen, but I bet it does.

Rgds

LoK

Yeah they do... Americans and their knowledge about the world

Yeah they do... Americans and their knowledge about the world

I lol'd about that comment too. It's not just Americans unfortunately, it's like someone(s) in charge is trying to produce a mass of uneducated inept people who cant put their shoes on without a government issued procedure.

Outside the poorest undeveloped places in South/Central America, Africa, and Asia they use "sanitary sewers" although if you've ever been somewhere like say rural/suburban Mexico they do not use double walled sealed ones everywhere hence the aroma walking past a manhole cover on a hot day.  

Outside the poorest undeveloped places in South/Central America, Africa, and Asia they use "sanitary sewers" although if you've ever been somewhere like say rural/suburban Mexico they do not use double walled sealed ones everywhere hence the aroma walking past a manhole cover on a hot day.

I think his point is that any sewers wouldn't be the kind of stuff you see in films, ie:

bvVsPeL.jpg?1

LONDON-1-master675.jpg

Instead it's probably going to look something like this and you'd likely have to crawl on hands and knees. Chernarus is really not a big place and having the sewer systems on the same scale as the large cities of the world doesn't make sense.

RH3VtEW.jpg

TBNrLh7.jpg

There is some stuff like short storm drains running through Severograd, but not so much "underground walkways that you can use to move through the city unseen".

• Like 1

This sounds pretty cool to me. Then you can really be a hermit and live in a cave all your life and only go out to hunt for food and get some water.