DayzPro.

So we can't drink from water wells?

That makes so much sence. 

Edited by DayzPro.

I think OP literally means the wells (the circular stone things covered with wood), not the pumps.

I guess we should be able to drink from the wells, with at least a rope and some sort of vessel attached to it, like a bottle, canteen or bucket (last not (yet?) in the game.

• Like 2

I'd like wells (pumps, whatever) to be far less common. They should be an infinite source of pure water, but they should be rarer to make areas where wells exist hotspots. A group could hold a village that has the only well in walking distance of NWAF, for example.

Or, perhaps, the pumps could be rare but wells (the bucket and rope kind) could be more common. Taking water from wells (as opposed to pumps) could be more time consuming and have a small chance to cause infection. That'd make them preferable to things like rivers and lakes, but there'd be a risk associated with spending so much time taking water from a water source that others would likely attempt to use.

But yes. In response to the OP, it'd be cool if all wells were water sources.

• Like 1

I'd like wells (pumps, whatever) to be far less common. They should be an infinite source of pure water, but they should be rarer to make areas where wells exist hotspots. A group could hold a village that has the only well in walking distance of NWAF, for example.

Or, perhaps, the pumps could be rare but wells (the bucket and rope kind) could be more common. Taking water from wells (as opposed to pumps) could be more time consuming and have a small chance to cause infection. That'd make them preferable to things like rivers and lakes, but there'd be a risk associated with spending so much time taking water from a water source that others would likely attempt to use.

Maybe there would be a random chance that a pump wasn't working, or you actually had to do something (e.g. turn a pipe valve nearby) to get it to start flowing again. You could also turn-off valves if you didn't want people to use a pump. Boobytrap the valves somehow.

Love the idea of needing a rope and some sort of container to hold the water in to use a well.

Edited by tux
  • Like 2

People don't typically nail a load of planks on top of a well for a laugh. Wells dry up or worse.

• Like 6

Oh well.

I agree that pumps could or should be rarer. And possibly run out of water. Water is far too common across the map. Those little ponds and water holes are everywhere. Why not put some zombie corpses in some of them an contaminate the water. Something the purification tablets couldn't fix.

I agree that pumps could or should be rarer. And possibly run out of water. Water is far too common across the map. Those little ponds and water holes are everywhere. Why not put some zombie corpses in some of them an contaminate the water. Something the purification tablets couldn't fix.

Yes, to all of this. There are plenty of ponds, and there is a risk using them, albeit small. (You apparently only can get sick when low on health/blood. I personally don't ever use tablets, and have been 100% fine drinking from ponds.)

I like the ideas here. It makes for an interesting goal for clans/groups at worst, and another form of player interaction/trade at best. ["Hey HEY, I got fresh water from Kamy! FRESH WATER FROM KAMY! Legit! Just want a round of mosin ammo! Pure FRESH Kamy water!"]

Either that, or make the ponds more dangerous. Which I don't like, because that might make it too tough to get water in worse case scenarios. When all the pumps are locked down, and everyone is getting sick just trying to hydrate.

...and yet, that might truly be apocalyptic. :D

• Like 3

Yes, to all of this. There are plenty of ponds, and there is a risk using them, albeit small. (You apparently only can get sick when low on health/blood. I personally don't ever use tablets, and have been 100% fine drinking from ponds.)

I like the ideas here. It makes for an interesting goal for clans/groups at worst, and another form of player interaction/trade at best. ["Hey HEY, I got fresh water from Kamy! FRESH WATER FROM KAMY! Legit! Just want a round of mosin ammo! Pure FRESH Kamy water!"]

Either that, or make the ponds more dangerous. Which I don't like, because that might make it too tough to get water in worse case scenarios. When all the pumps are locked down, and everyone is getting sick just trying to hydrate.

...and yet, that might truly be apocalyptic. :D

This, pretty much. 

In a survival situation, the #1 thing you need to be concerned about is water, after fire and shelter is taken care of. You can "live" ( for a rather shitty and painful definition of "live") for 3 weeks without food (and that is if you are limiting activity as much as possible. Running around with heavy gear and fighting cuts it down to a week) in a temperate environment. You can only last about 3 days without water.

So, right now, there is FAR too much "potable" water available on the map. Literally every town has a water pump, and some even have more! This makes survival stupidly easy. Imagine what it would be like if there were only, like, 5 water-wells on the map. Clans would take control of those things like fresh hotcakes, and charge for usage. Other clans would try to take control of them. Independent players would either trade for safe drinking water, work out an agreement with the clans to sell water for them (Ala Water Merchants from Fallout), or boil/filter water from streams and ponds.

The last is more labor-intensive than it sounds. For a single person, it isn't too bad, but for a group, it rapidly becomes a pain in the ass. Keeping a fire going to boil water is a bear at the best of times, requiring 24/7 wood gathering, and filtering water through a large enough filter requires time. And boiling/filtering water is NECESSARY, not only "recommended". If you drink from any water source, you should be at severe risk for getting some sort of illness, even if it is just "stomach upset" (aka diarrhea and vomiting, which is dangerous in a survival situation, especially if the only water you have is the water than got you sick.). IRL, I boil/filter ALL WATER I drink that doesn't come from a municipal tap, regardless of how clear it looks and how fast it moves. 

Boiling kills ALL organic contaminants (aka viruses and bacteria), while filtering removes physical and chemical particulates. Both together, while it takes some time and fuel expenditure, makes water 100% safe to drink, 100% of the time (unless you are drawing from an "alkaline well", which is blatantly obvious, and never going to occur in the terrain Day Z takes place in.)

• Like 3

That would be overkill for freshspawns. Dieing form thirst and no gun to fight their way to water source camped by some squad...no fun.

In my opinion current numbers and locations of of wells are just fine.

EDIT.

Never mind. Rethinked that and I think it would be okay if wells would be fewer and players would be forced to drink from ponds and get infected so all those water purification tablets and medicine to cure sickness would have some use.

Fresh well water would be a nice treasure for organized players that would control well area.

Edited by Frosti

Maybe there would be a random chance that a pump wasn't working, or you actually had to do something (e.g. turn a pipe valve nearby) to get it to start flowing again. You could also turn-off valves if you didn't want people to use a pump. Boobytrap the valves somehow.

Love the idea of needing a rope and some sort of container to hold the water in to use a well.

It looks like the wells are extremely simple. No valves or anything. I guess you could jam up the pump (maybe you'd need a crowbar to unjam it) but I don't think you could do anything much more than that.

Also I think wells tend to already have a rope and bucket attached, since they're communal wells. Would be neat to have to carry stuff to properly use a well, but doesn't seem all that realistic.

But yes. I'd like water pumps to be quite rare. Maybe one in each of the big towns and then a couple of others in various villages across the map. Could even put them in 'worthless' villages or at farms. That way locations that people rarely bother to visit will have something of value in them. Other wells should be uncommon but not rare, found in many villages - but drinking from these wells should be time consuming and there should be a small chance for the water to be infected.

Next up should be rivers and streams. These should be fairly safe to drink from, but should also be pretty rare (as they already are). Finally standing water (lakes, ponds) should have a high chance of infection, but would also be the lowest risk (in terms of player interaction) and likely the most abundant source of water. Boiling water should render it pure (if it doesn't already, again not played in a while) or at least lessen the chance of infection.

I think the control of certain resources by groups should be focused on. He who controls the spice cont - ah - whoever controls the water controls the world.

• Like 2

It would make no sense if water pumps were more rare, only in major towns. Any small farming community is going to have a well/water pump. Do you think a village like Staroye is not going to have a well, that they would walk or drive all the way to Elektro or Solnichny for their water?

I think it is fine just the way it is.

It would make no sense if water pumps were more rare, only in major towns. Any small farming community is going to have a well/water pump. Do you think a village like Staroye is not going to have a well, that they would walk or drive all the way to Elektro or Solnichny for their water?

But, working pumps that haven't been maintained after the Apocalypse?

Hey, it's an interesting idea at least. Maybe something for a potential mod. 

And my opinion is that Kamy's pump defiantly needs to be working. Because even with all the conflict that happens there now, it's just such a small quaint likable town. I dunno, something about it makes me think the pumps would work there. 

No, they would have private wells. With pumps that are powered via electricity.  Chernarus was not a 3rd-world country, believe it or not. You see computers, personal cars, flush toilets and such all around.

The wells we see in-game are the "old-timey" hand-pump things you see tourists taking pictures of. Not something everyone crowds around to get their drinking water.

Edited by Whyherro123

Going to pop in a quick thing here.

Wells should be more limited. Why?

Your also forgetting rain was in the game, and was only taken out for a limited amount of time. It takes time to fill up your water vessel with rain (like it should) but you also know its safe.

Add rain in the game, take out some wells, and bam. We have balance.

• Like 2

Yes, to all of this. There are plenty of ponds, and there is a risk using them, albeit small. (You apparently only can get sick when low on health/blood. I personally don't ever use tablets, and have been 100% fine drinking from ponds.)

I like the ideas here.

Aeon Grow also allows LED'S to give good growth to your indoor plants and ponds.

Yes, to all of this. There are plenty of ponds, and there is a risk using them, albeit small. (You apparently only can get sick when low on health/blood. I personally don't ever use tablets, and have been 100% fine drinking from ponds.)

I like the ideas here.

Aeon Grow also allows LED'S to give good growth to your indoor plants and ponds.

I've noticed several people, (or maybe just you in another thread) mention Aeon Grow-whatever.  

That's kind of interesting, but also, not really appropriate in a apocalyptic environment. 

I'm half convinced you're on about some new genuinely interesting technology (though one that really doesn't apply to a game like DayZ), and half convinced you're some advertisement mole trying to spread awareness of a product over the DayZ forums.

People don't typically nail a load of planks on top of a well for a laugh. Wells dry up or worse.

Agreed. We typically dump corpses in ours.   ;)

As someone whose house runs on a well and septic system to avoid the ridiculous charges cities sometimes level for access to the town system, let me tell you a few things about wells you might not know.

Wells fill up with murderous bacteria all the time.

Seriously. The current system I run on includes an electric pump to send the water into the house's tank and keep everything pressurized, and there's a UV-light system specifically to kill bacteria. The bulbs for the UV system need to be replaced at least yearly, though I suppose it's technically possible for them to last longer while still remaining effective if you don't use them too often. But this system is absolutely necessary.

The septic system has a drainage that's basically aimed away from the well, to help reduce the amount of poop-water that filters in. But you'll never get everything, and there are plenty of ways E. Coli and other bacteria can filter in. Your well can be poisoned. Purely for reasons of sanitation, you should never bury a dead pet (much less a family member) anywhere near your property - contamination of the well will almost certainly result in a few years, if not sooner.

Back before this kind of filtration and anti-germ technology, if a well was poisoned, you boarded it up and dug a new one. THAT is why all these wells have wood covering them up. They're bad wells.

There are (or were) a bunch of mass-graves in DayZ, often on hills - dead bodies on a hill means as soon as it rains, some of that rot will not only seep into the ground but will follow the terrain to some degree. A dead body buried atop a hill means all nearby wells are eventually poisoned.

Frankly, I wouldn't even trust the pumps. Too many unburied bodies and mass graves. Just pondering the terrain off the top of my head, I'd estimate that at least 20% of the pumps in DayZ are situated in places where they will eventually go bad. Combine that with the presumed five-year gap between outbreak and character spawn, and you just can't trust any water that's at a low elevation. The filters have probably gone bad. Boil everything.

• Like 1

As someone whose house runs on a well and septic system to avoid the ridiculous charges cities sometimes level for access to the town system, let me tell you a few things about wells you might not know.

Wells fill up with murderous bacteria all the time.

Seriously. The current system I run on includes an electric pump to send the water into the house's tank and keep everything pressurized, and there's a UV-light system specifically to kill bacteria. The bulbs for the UV system need to be replaced at least yearly, though I suppose it's technically possible for them to last longer while still remaining effective if you don't use them too often. But this system is absolutely necessary.

The septic system has a drainage that's basically aimed away from the well, to help reduce the amount of poop-water that filters in. But you'll never get everything, and there are plenty of ways E. Coli and other bacteria can filter in. Your well can be poisoned. Purely for reasons of sanitation, you should never bury a dead pet (much less a family member) anywhere near your property - contamination of the well will almost certainly result in a few years, if not sooner.

Back before this kind of filtration and anti-germ technology, if a well was poisoned, you boarded it up and dug a new one. THAT is why all these wells have wood covering them up. They're bad wells.

There are (or were) a bunch of mass-graves in DayZ, often on hills - dead bodies on a hill means as soon as it rains, some of that rot will not only seep into the ground but will follow the terrain to some degree. A dead body buried atop a hill means all nearby wells are eventually poisoned.

Frankly, I wouldn't even trust the pumps. Too many unburied bodies and mass graves. Just pondering the terrain off the top of my head, I'd estimate that at least 20% of the pumps in DayZ are situated in places where they will eventually go bad. Combine that with the presumed five-year gap between outbreak and character spawn, and you just can't trust any water that's at a low elevation. The filters have probably gone bad. Boil everything.

Cannot give enough beans.

Let us face it, folks: without safe drinking water being a concern, Day Z will effectively never be a survival game. If you don't have to worry about water, everything else becomes less "concerning", for lack of a better term.

Have to forage for food in the wilds? Whatever, I can do this for weeks, I've got plenty of water!

Friend has an infection? Whatever, give him plenty of fluids. No need to boil/filter here!

ETC ETC