DemonGroover

Day Z Urban Legends

That story is fake...but have you heard of the blacklist?

There are a group of survivors adding murderers to this list, every time they hear of someone murdering someone they add them to the list, and continuously hunt them down!

In the Australian Servers anyway

I have a feature of this game that can scary the living daylights out of you. Not much of a urban legend tho.

Anyone play with 7.1 surround sound. I do (Logitech G930)

The game will often make random noises, and they can be heard faintly. But if you hold still...

I have heard gunshots (really faint), footsteps, zed moans (Not near any), and vehicle sounds.

Whats more interesting is how the weather effects it. A good faint rumble will have you thinking your being shot at. And the rain magnifies the sound to be so much more scary.

Finally, a few times, notably a few hours ago. Im camping stary with my friend on the other side of it. (Im on south). WE get bored for another friend to meet us so we start taking pop shots with are DMRs. He fires and i hear right next to me a bullet hit. I call to him if he shot near me. he says he did not. no one else was around...

If your bored and want to be scared, turn your sound up and listen to the background sounds.

I know exactly what you mean, it's the chain fence rattle that gets me.

• Like 1

There are a group of survivors adding murderers to this list, every time they hear of someone murdering someone they add them to the list, and continuously hunt them down!

Tell'em to migrate on the European servers.

We need groups like this to enforce the law and have less KoS players.

Have you heard of The Two Goats Sisters?

It is said that once they have looked at you, you die from hunger and thirst in the next two minutes!

A friend of mine found this video tape on a dead body in Elektro.

Edited by RastaKoueR
  • Like 2

That story is fake...but have you heard of the blacklist?

Actually not. Only the part with church is fake. All the rest is true (someone sniped me in center of the field). After all it's Urban Legend, it's half true, half fake. ^^

Anyone heard of MONSTER?

Word is, that person has a natural talent for falling off things.

True story.

-MONSTER

• Like 1

Anyone heard of MONSTER?

Word is, that person has a natural talent for falling off things.

True story.

-MONSTER

Ahh, heard about that one. It must be the curse of The Chimney Santa in Cherno.

Also love the Akira avatar. ^^

some good stories here

have been to GM both at day and at night

and in both times it has been empty, not a sound, so i've thought "hey why not go check the tower for some loot!"

as soon as i hit the top of the tower, i hear flies buzzing like crazy, and the groans of zed's

once i reach the bottom of the tower and peak outside the door, theres always 20+ zeds in camo's shambleing around

everytime, day or night, have done it about 5-6 times the trip, mainly coz i've notice ppl tend to avoid the place

and everytime i try to get out of there i run out of ammo and become a fresh manwitch for the feast

also ealyer today i was at stary sobor, heading for the army camp there, had 2-3 zeds chase me there, run into the first tent, pegged em off with a mak, no troubles, peak outside, no zeds or players anywhere, so i go from tent to tent, checking the geasr, find food, drinks, more ammo, then i come upto the last tent, empty and it looks like there is a remington 870 sitting there!! bonus! need a back up wep!! as soon as i step into the tent a zed comes out of nowhere right in my face!!! did he have a predator cloacking system?!?! he took a swipe at me and hit me making me blled so i start back peddleing, as soon as i was 2 steps away he disappered, into thin air? i couldnt work this out, thinking it was a spawn bug or a glitch, but it had happened, he made me bleed, so i bandaged myself up, and very carefully made my way back to the tent to see if he would come back, didnt show up, so i looted the gun and booked it for the closest forest

logged out just after that happened and i had the illiusion of feeling safe, lol

• Like 1

This was a perfect find! :thumbsup:

Servers are down and I killed off the night reading the (currently) 17 page thread :D

Keep em comming !!!

I've got a tale for you, of how an entire squad of 4 survivors were killed off by... I don't know what to call it. A glitch? A ghost? A portal to the underworld? Whatever you call it, it was brutal and uncaring. The guy that told me this story has since quit Day Z, and has moved on to games that don't make him scared to visit fairgrounds.

The story starts off with a group of new survivors on vent, none of them with much experience in the game. They were wandering through the woods north of Rog Castle when they saw a little green house. Being new, they didn't know that the green houses aren't enterable, so they were hopeful on finding something to prevent starvation.

The disappointment was great when they reached the house, when one of them noticed an outhouse with an open door. He called out to his friends and went to investigate. He excitedly reported a can of beans and a revolver with 2 clips just sitting on the seat. Within seconds came the "player was killed" message. In shock, the guy told his friends that as soon as he opened his gear menu to take the beans, the door closed on him, breaking his legs and then killing him. He asked his friend to get his map and enfield off of his body, so that he could catch up with him. A second guy walked around to the out house, and noticed something a bit ominous (though he didn't put 1 and 1 together until well afterwards. There was no body. The body of his friend was just gone and there was now an enfield and a green pouch on the seat of the outhouse. He walked over and started to take the enfield for his friend when "BAM!" the door closes on him, breaking his legs and then killing him. He was really pissed, because he had just scored an alice pack at Rog Castle, and didn't want to lose it. The third guy on the squad walked around and looked at the once-again-open door of the outhouse. Sure enough, sitting on the seat was an Alice pack, but no body.

At this time, the first guy to die reported being kicked for "bad name". No matter how many times he tried to join he was being told that his name was rejected. He ended up making another name and was finally able to rejoin the server. The second guy was still stuck at "recieving data".

The third guy used his scroll wheel to open and close the outhouse door a couple of times, since it was being glitchy. He opened it back up, and took the Alice pack. Halfway through the change over, the outhouse door swung closed, breaking his legs and knocking him unconsious. The fourth player scrambled over to try to bandage him, and opened the outhouse door. As he bandaged his friend, the door swung closed once more, killing them both.

At this time, the second player reported being kicked for a bad name, the same thing that had happened to the first guy. He was able to rejoin by changing his name slightly. The same thing happened to the third and fourth guys as well. To this day, none of the squad can re-use the names that they were using when they were killed by the Outhouse, and no troubleshooting or admin help can fix it. It's like those characters are still in the game somewhere, maybe trapped in the bowels of a wooden shithouse forever and ever.

Make of the story what you will, but the guy that I know that was in that squad only tries to play Day Z once a week, because it scared the hell out of him. He'll never approach a green house or an outhouse again, and doesn't even trust porta-potties at the local fairground anymore.

• Like 10

This is some scary stuff here. I might never play at night again. I'm gonna save all this stories and propose to my friends that on the upcoming land weekend at my house we go check these things out. Nevertheless I'm scared and its only 7 p.m.

Eh, the only good ones that leave you thinking where the ones were people commented about the bus stop in the middle of nowhere and the sidewalk you can find at 040120.

Also the people talking about the no name island on the south shore got me intrigued.

Those are the kinda of legends we need, just short insights about things people heard about. Longer tales about ghosts and lights are just kinda silly and boring. Things that actually leaves you thinking "that might be real" are the cool ones.

The other stories aren't creepy or anything, just plain silly and not believable.

Only weird thing that ever happened to me was when I was playing at a night server at like my first week ever. It was the first time I ever played it at night so I was going to Balota to look at the hangars and I saw this goat just chilling in the middle of the road. The disturbing thing is that it was looking directly at me in the middle of the night and that he stood right in the middle of the road. It was the first time I saw a goat in this game so it really scared me.

DayZ can be really unsettling sometimes but mostly I feel like it kinda lacks that creepy factor thing that makes games really eerie. I fee like playing Minecraft can be scarier than it by miles. I guess I feel like that because of the Arma engine which is pretty weird so you kinda get used to bugs and what not and everything seems like a big bug instead of something scary.

• Like 3

I fee like playing Minecraft can be scarier than it by miles. I guess I feel like that because of the Arma engine which is pretty weird so you kinda get used to bugs and what not and everything seems like a big bug instead of something scary.

I feel like I'm playing with Lego when I play minecraft :\

Not a legend as such, but a freaky occurance:

Last night i was travelling to the west of Nizhnoye (i think) when i stumbled on an apple grove. I'd never seen it before and it was very claustrophobic and unsettling - i couldnt see anything unless i looked up and down the lines of apple trees. The fact it was a night server didnt help.

Anyway i was crouch running when i heard a nearby Zed and as i stopped i thought i spied a building through the trees, though i couldnt be sure. I continued on, this time walking slowly hoping to get through the grove. I was looking to my left and right, still unable to see very well becasue of the trees, when suddenly i saw a figure about 10m to the west of me standing still amongst the apple trees. Stupidly i stopped. It was a player with an axe. A bit stunned and taken aback i admit i was slow off the mark. He wasnt - he took a few steps and wordlessly buried his axe in my head.

I dont know the players name, and i can only assume he had heard me and was waiting for me, but it was like something out of a horror movie - a deathly silent axe weilding maniac.

I will not be returning to that grove unless i am heavily armed and in daylight!

Beware the Apple Grove Axe Murderer!

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

Friend had the FN FAL gun with the night vision only scope, he was mucking around with the scope zoom and somehow got it to scoped mode in normal vision (not night vision) and was pretty happy about it because it was the middle of the day and night vision was useless. but once he unscoped he wasn't able to recreate the anomaly

Green Mountain is cursed, you may not believe it but it is the truth.

I was searching the deer stands around the base of the mountain one night. When I got the bright idea to check the radio tower. After an uneventful search I headed back out of the tower. As soon as I walked out the door, something was off. I didn't hear or see any zeds. The only sounds I could hear were the wind and rustling foot steps in the woods.

I quickly dashed for cover inside the compound. The foot steps seemed to echo all around the walls outside. I am not a man who is scared easily and assumed a pk was stalking me. I quietly make my way out the front gate, and wait.

The foot steps rustling the leaves echoed in the wind as I scanned for the source. I see nothing at first, just hearing the footsteps in the wind.

I figure it's a glitch and nervously chuckle at how paranoid this mod makes me. As I stood up to move down the mountain is when I noticed the 2 glowing red orbs. "GLOW STICKS!" I thought to myself. I tried to sneak closer so I could zoom in on them. As I got about 200 meters from them, I realized these were not glow stick they moved together as is connected. " A car going backwards?" I thought. No not a sound besides footsteps in leaves and the wind.

Something inside of me screamed "RUN you daft idiot!" as I got up it stopped and "looked" in my direction. I panicked and stumbled up the mountain to the road. Standing In front of the radio tower i looked back as the red orbs charged up the road at me. I yelped irl! And took the cowards alt - f4 way out of the game.

Retelling the tale to my wife, she laughed and said "did my big man get scared in a video game?" I did! So with my pride bruised i logged back in. (on a day server) only to find I was in shock with a broken leg and bleeding out. I died before i could open my bag for a bandage.

When the "You are dead" screen popped up, I heard the rustling footsteps and wind noise.

• Like 8

Oh man, I'm moving north from Elektro after my next trip in. Chernarus is a friggin haunted place I tell ya, but I'll never go back to elektro at night. It was the middle of the night, the witching hour, when I logged on. My friend Logged too, and we decided to meet up north of Elektro at the power plant, go into town, and get him some gear since he was recently killed. Since I was already there I decided to hide in the bushes, ya know, in the corner of the wall right next to the back entrance of the station house? My buddy said that he was following the power lines in, but didn't know when he would get there so I settled in those buses looking out to the east of the plant just in case any players were around with nvgs. As I sat there in the near pitch black darkness, I noticed a figure standing on the hill I was staring at.

Now at first I thought it may have been my friend, but I decided not to say anything. Now, the terrain here is kind of key, as there was pretty much only ONE spot at which I could have seen this guy given the trees. There were two trees, very close together, the branches weren't intertwined or anything like that. They were just far enough apart that, from where I was laying, I could see this guy's silhouette against the sky perfectly as he stood on the hillside, like there was some kind of faint light behind him. Now at the same time, I realize that he hadn't been there the last time I looked. So instead of glancing around some more, I looked directy at him, and that's when I realized it: he was looking right back at me. He had been the entire time. Staring for a few mroe seconds it looked like he was aiming a weapon at me.

Now I know that, by this point, it could have been a bandit or some such and I was fully prepared to take a bullet to the domepiece because I was getting kind of scared. So I ask my friend "Hey, are you near Elektro yet dude?" His response:

"No idea, I don't even think I'm going the right way." wut.

So I informed him of what I was seeing and took aim with my AK. I was practically trrembling IRL because this dude was staring right at me, and there was no way he could not see me aiming at him. Why wasn't he taking the shot? Then he started moving. Not running, or walking, or even going anywhere. He just began leaning left, leaning right, leaning left, right... all the while he was still staring at me. I was pretty much yelling at my friend, asking him if I should take the shot. He told me to do whatever I thought was best. And, in light of there not being a "blow your own brains out button" I elected to do it to this dancing man on a hill. I cycled my AK to Semi-auto, takeing my eyes off the guy for all of 1.5 seconds tops and when I looked back up to the hill he was gone. Vanished. Disappeared.

I was freaking out by now as I envisioned the Dancing Man coming down to kill me personally, when immediately my friend sighed over his mic. Aparently he had been shot in the span of the 10 to 15 seconds after the Dancing Man vanished, still trying to find his way into Elektro. I logged right then, after shitting enough bricks to build a house.

• Like 4

You know after reading the stories on this thread i now find every single noise ingame makes me jump in my seat.

There is something evil afoot in DayZ i tells ya......evil!!

I will never go to Skalisty Island again, that's for sure.

I was pretty excited to find a PBX up north, and with a lot of fuel!

So I thought, what a perfect opportunity to head to that island down south... It's probably unlooted, and I can see on the map that there's some buildings, even a boat dock.

I wanted to make sure that no one would see me making my way there, so I waited until I could go there at night.

DO NOT GO TO SKALISTY AT NIGHT. I'm serious.

I hit shore on the north end of the island and immediately something felt weird. I've been in the woods often on the main part of the map, and at night, too. Something was weird. In fact, I checked my video settings because everything seemed to have an odd greenish tint.

And the sound. In the woods on Skalisty, the wind sounds different. I turned my volume up because I could hear.... Things. Whispers. Voices. Footsteps.

I was so worried that there were bandits here or something, I headed toward the buildings, assuming there would be some loot.

I crawled and crouched past the zombies, and neared the boat dock. As I was waiting for a zombie to go by, I heard a voice. I'm not kidding. I actually turned around in my room here irl. It said "your turn". I looked frantically around... But it was getting darker, and I couldn't see anything.

Fuck it, I thought. There's an open house here. I'll go inside and disconnect. This is too weird. I ran I to the house, and I could hear all the zombies shrieking and following me as usual. But then I heard a strange sound as I made it into the house. Zombies dying. But no gunshots, and it sure as hell wasn't me.

In the house, something was wrong. I could hear the wind, like when in the forest. And all of a sudden... That whisper... "your turn".

There was a ... Hole or hatch or something. A ladder leading down. From the house. And as I looked down it... I saw something coming up. It was a zombie, I guess. I only got a glimpse.. But it appeared to be wearing a tattered straight jacket, and it had a bloody face...

Crunch. My bones were broken.

I lay on the ground, frantically rotating, and looking around... I saw that face. Something white.

A voice whispered, "thank youuuuu..."

And the "You are dead" screen came up.

Seriously.

I respawned ON THE WEST END OF SKALISTY, NEAR THE RADIO TOWER. I swam back to shore, lost all my starter gear, and it took 20 minutes.

holy FUCK you dont know how much that startled me lol

Was there not some story about people coming across military patrols that one-shot you if you aimed at them? I even seem to remember pics of that one.

The only really wierd thing I've ever seen was coming across a body of a survivor in a field that was surrounded by about 20-30 bunnies, all hopping about merrily.

*rummage* *rummage* *rummage* Ah there's my satchel charge. *wide eyed and grinning*

... awesome stories over many pages, I guess I have to share my strange experience too.

It happened to me, so at least for me it is not hearsay - I even have an eyewitness in my wife looking over my shoulder while this occured:

It was my second or third life as a survivor, and I still was new to the game and hadn't figured out how direct communication worked.

I was in the middle of nowhere (had no map and didn't know/think about online maps at that time, as I was still trying to learn the game), crouch running through a forest for about half an hour or longer when I realized a movement at a little clearing right before my eyes.

Instantly I hit the prone key, getting full cover in tall grass. At least the eye-indicator said, I would be invisible, as the ear also showed no one can hear me at that very moment.

I only had found a Makarov an hour ago, so I started to investigate the clearing over my iron sights, ready to sell my hide for high price.

I saw about three or four zeds staggering across the grass, wearing a uniform I haven't seen yet (I only saw "civilian" zeds before, later I learned that could be some heli-pilot uniform).

I was astonished, as I never thought zeds could spawn out there in the wilderness - As I think back I could imagine there could have been a deer stand, as in a later survivor-life I had spawning the same type of zeds after looting a deer stand above a little village (Msta if I am not mistaken).

But at that time the encounter made me feel really scary due to its unexpectance - nothing great, you may say.

But the real bad part hasn't started yet.

While I am considering my position to be completely safe due to being in full cover I watched the nearest uniform-zed, expecting him passing along as every zed has done before.

But not this one... it starts to turn at my position, looking its weird sideway look with its head bent and keeps lurking into my direction.

I changed my position only to see it follow my moves (eye and ear indicators still show no sign of being exposed).

I backed a little more, aiming on its head, but then tension broke my patience: Having it letting aproach me to a distance only a few feet, I pulled the trigger, pumping about five or six bullets into its chest (I must confess I wasn't cool enough to try a headshot at that time).

The body fell down to the ground with a weird gurgle (I am not sure if I really heard what it uttered), at the same time a message showed in chat: "F******en was killed" (I am not sure I showing the full name would be appreciated).

For those who are interested: I could have sworn the uniform-zed rattled the words "Hhheeelp... meee...!" as it fell.

Strange enough, my debug-monitor only showed a zombie-kill, so I hope I misheard that one...

• Like 3