Sign in to follow this  
fluidical

Optimization...?

So, My pc runs games such as ark: survival evolved, skyrim on ultra, h1z1 with no issues.

8GB RAM (vengeance)

Amd Phenom II x6 @ 2.8ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 TI sc

(I have an ssd but that's irrelevant.)

I'm confused as to why I'm lucky to get 20 fps even outside the cities. My system should demolish DayZ. It only uses about 30% CPU and I'm unsure how much of the GPU it uses.

It's quite upsetting because it's a decent gaming system, I can run skyrim with 300 mods + record at 1080p 60fps with no hiccups. Any suggestions? I've used all the guides I can think of. Is there no way of getting DayZ to utilize all of the CPU/GPU?

So, My pc runs games such as ark: survival evolved, skyrim on ultra, h1z1 with no issues.

8GB RAM (vengeance)

Amd Phenom II x6 @ 2.8ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 TI sc

(I have an ssd but that's irrelevant.)

I'm confused as to why I'm lucky to get 20 fps even outside the cities. My system should demolish DayZ. It only uses about 30% CPU and I'm unsure how much of the GPU it uses.

It's quite upsetting because it's a decent gaming system, I can run skyrim with 300 mods + record at 1080p 60fps with no hiccups. Any suggestions? I've used all the guides I can think of. Is there no way of getting DayZ to utilize all of the CPU/GPU?

Not to be a dick (dick comments always begin like that), but I assume you don't run high resolution textures with 300+ mods in Skyrim and maintain 60 FPS @ 1080p. Even without recording. Skyrim with normal textures can be run by a fairly shitty PC.

Why should your PC "demolish" DayZ? It's an average PC. My son has almost the exact same setup, except he's running a 760 Ti and his settings are all at or around medium. That's to be expected. When has the RV engine ever been optimized to begin with? Arma 2 and 3 don't run that well either.

• Like 1

2.8 ghz, even if recommended is not a beast of a processor.

Keep in mind that there has not been any real optimisation to date.

This will occur when content and functions are locked down, most likely sometime after beta release, if my memory serves me well.

This will occur when content and functions are locked down, most likely sometime after beta release, if my memory serves me well.

I'm not saying my PC is amazing but I can run other games with no issues. 

I'm not advertising my channel or anything but here is a recording of skyrim on my old AMD Radeon HD 6670 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhIjQF45Fs @1080p60fps.

I run DayZ at the bare minimum and I'm still getting a horrible amount of lag. It makes no sense to me why it isn't optimizing my gpu or CPU. My CPU is a pretty standard mid-range piece of equipment but the only game I seem to have problems with is DayZ.

I do understand that the game isn't optimized yet, but allowing people to actually play it before adding dresses and pointless other things should be top priority.. Atleast with other games that's how it's done.

Edit: I've owned this game for well over a year now and I've seen my FPS decreasing over time instead of increasing like it should be. We get one update a month if we're lucky, I understand this game is early access but with the millions of purchases you'd think the developers would put their thinking caps on and fix their game? It still takes me 10 seconds to get my axe off my back ffs.

Edited by fluidical
  • Like 1

Firstly I don't understand why this wasn't posted in the thread already going about optimization... secondly the game is in a transition period between engines at the moment so they aren't going to spend resources tweaking and optimizing the current engine when they plan on replacing the majority of it before the end of the alpha phase.

Also turn your graphics up, your processor isn't the best (and DayZ runs shit on AMD ones anyway) so by increasing the load on the GPU you'll shift some of the work away from the CPU which should help a bit.

• Like 1

Same here, I got a gtx 980 and I get 20-30 fps in cherno.

Can't really enjoy any gun fights

Firstly I don't understand why this wasn't posted in the thread already going about optimization... secondly the game is in a transition period between engines at the moment so they aren't going to spend resources tweaking and optimizing the current engine when they plan on replacing the majority of it before the end of the alpha phase.

Also turn your graphics up, your processor isn't the best (and DayZ runs shit on AMD ones anyway) so by increasing the load on the GPU you'll shift some of the work away from the CPU which should help a bit.

Can you reccomend any specific settings for my system? I have no clue what I'm doing if I'm gonna be completely honest.

I'm not saying my PC is amazing but I can run other games with no issues. 

I'm not advertising my channel or anything but here is a recording of skyrim on my old AMD Radeon HD 6670 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybhIjQF45Fs @1080p60fps.

I run DayZ at the bare minimum and I'm still getting a horrible amount of lag. It makes no sense to me why it isn't optimizing my gpu or CPU. My CPU is a pretty standard mid-range piece of equipment but the only game I seem to have problems with is DayZ.

I do understand that the game isn't optimized yet, but allowing people to actually play it before adding dresses and pointless other things should be top priority.. Atleast with other games that's how it's done.

Edit: I've owned this game for well over a year now and I've seen my FPS decreasing over time instead of increasing like it should be. We get one update a month if we're lucky, I understand this game is early access but with the millions of purchases you'd think the developers would put their thinking caps on and fix their game? It still takes me 10 seconds to get my axe off my back ffs.

its not optimizing your gpu as dayz at the moment is all cpu based

• Like 1

try changing the resolution scale, i reduced it from 200% to 88% and got some better fps, you can see the difference but atleast you get some more fps

• Like 1

Same here, I got a gtx 980 and I get 20-30 fps in cherno.

Can't really enjoy any gun fights

jump to experimental and use -newui as startoption, youre eyes will be opened

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but running at higher settings can actually help. I'm by no means an expert on the matter, but I believe it has something to do with shifting the use of resources between the CPU and GPU in a manner that's more optimal to their capabilities. Try it, it can't hurt -- just go back to the old settings if it's worse.

As others have explained, the game is about as far from optimized as it could be at this point in the development process. As it is now, the game performs best with a quad-core Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU. The reason for this is because of the strong single-core performance of Intel CPUs versus their AMD equivalents, which tend to be lower clock speeds but a higher number of cores.

Not saying you should run out and buy a new mobo and CPU, just trying to give you a little insight into why your performance isn't fantastic right now. It WILL get better as the game becomes better at using multiple cores (and hyperthreading), but it will be more towards the end of the year.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

its not optimizing your gpu as dayz at the moment is all cpu based

I took what you said to my head and I went into DayZ and turned all my graphics right up. Somehow I got an FPS increase of about 5 in the cities so I'm running at about 25 FPS and it seems smooth. I get the odd FPS drops here and there but I now know that my CPU is a piece of poo.

• Like 1

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but running at higher settings can actually help. I'm by no means an expert on the matter, but I believe it has something to do with shifting the use of resources between the CPU and GPU in a manner that's more optimal to their capabilities. Try it, it can't hurt -- just go back to the old settings if it's worse.

As others have explained, the game is about as far from optimized as it could be at this point in the development process. As it is now, the game performs best with a quad-core Intel CPU + Nvidia GPU. The reason for this is because of the strong single-core performance of Intel CPUs versus their AMD equivalents, which tend to be lower clock speeds but a higher number of cores.

Not saying you should run out and buy a new mobo and CPU, just trying to give you a little insight into why your performance isn't fantastic right now. It WILL get better as the game becomes better at using multiple cores (and hyperthreading), but it will be more towards the end of the year.

It actually worked for me weirdly enough. Makes no sense but it makes more sense. I won't be upgrading my CPU just for DayZ as other games run fantastic with this setup. I'll just wait for some optimization I guess

It actually worked for me weirdly enough. Makes no sense but it makes more sense. I won't be upgrading my CPU just for DayZ as other games run fantastic with this setup. I'll just wait for some optimization I guess

Glad it worked for you. Enjoy your prettier visuals ;)

• Like 2

sheesh....another one of these threads? figured BoneBoys would've suggested the search function....?

anyways...just added another 16gb of DDR1866 and a shiny TitanX and without the -newui start option (meaning i didnt try it) i really cant tell much of a difference with regard to DayZ (Exp). maybe 4-6fps increase... i havent had the chance to play the game much though (maybe 20-30 mins around Polana). settings are still the same from my GTX770 sli config. 1080, everything mostly maxed...hell, would have to check config file and everything else, so ya, idk...but no, the game is not optimized as of yet.

Skyrim with 300+ mods on a 750ti huh? def not running heavy texture mods or ENB's, and Ark is eating that rig alive...

Tatanko for the save :thumbsup: --always has good advice

*yup

Edited by thznutz
  • Like 1

Can we please just merge and pin all of these optimization/performance threads already?  I know it feels good to help people out by doling out counterintuitive setting tweak advice, but it seems a new thread pops up everytime the current OPTI-PLZ thread falls off of page one. I think I'm gonna pop in the -newui LP and see how it goes today.  Cheers to getting rained off the job on a Friday.

• Like 3

considering just about every game is base on single core speed. and the phenom II has a great cache system. 

AMD Balanced Smart Cache
  • Shared L3 cache (either 6MB or 4MB)
  • 512K L2 cache per core
    • Benefit: Shortened access times to the highly accessed data for better performance.

i mean i have a amd6300 oc to 4.ghz. but a intel i5 with a decent ram/mb combo would keep up.  the fact that dayz engine is loosley built on arma2 which is almost what a decade old now. if you look @ ARK on u4 and what some games like 7dtd,forest and rust are doing with the unity engine. dayz and this "modular" expansion to an already decade old system (hell i'd be surprised they dont just get the new BIS engine by the time this is released) obsolete yes, fun game yes, ever going to perfrom ??????????? 

Edited by Cr4cksh0t

considering just about every game is base on single core speed. and the phenom II has a great cache system. 

i mean i have a amd6300 oc to 4.ghz. but a intel i5 with a decent ram/mb combo would keep up.  the fact that dayz engine is loosley built on arma2 which is almost what a decade old now. if you look @ ARK on u4 and what some games like 7dtd,forest and rust are doing with the unity engine. dayz and this "modular" expansion to an already decade old system (hell i'd be surprised they dont just get the new BIS engine by the time this is released) obsolete yes, fun game yes, ever going to perfrom ??????????? 

I have a i7 4790k and gtx 980 as i said above and I get 25max fps in cherno

try changing the resolution scale, i reduced it from 200% to 88% and got some better fps, you can see the difference but atleast you get some more fps

Thanks man, I forgot you could do that.

Did that (reduced to 50%...) and got nice +20 FPS boost :D

Good choice, we wouldn't recommend committing to certain hardware purchases just for the reason of boosting ingame performance for DayZ while it's still in development. Try having a look at the following post, there might be a bit more info that could help you out: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/224710-performance-issues/

• Like 1

Hello there

As OP has somewhat solved their issues and as SMoss points out there already is the existing thread for just this sort of thing I shall now close this.

http://forums.dayzga...ormance-issues/

Rdgs

LoK

im a silly billy.

• Like 1