Count_Grishnackh

2nd Character Slot

What is the communities view on having a second character slot? (Probably has been suggested before...)

Reason: I mainly play with other people... and when they aren't available, I'd like to solo with a totally different character.

Now you're probably going to say I should go play on a private server... that doesn't really help me when I live in South Africa, where  DayZ community is already tiny... we only have a handful of servers and all are public.

What are pros and cons?

EDIT!!!!!!!!!

To combat revenge kills/ ghosting, and and and:

perhaps something could be implemented where if your "Character A" joins a server then you cant join that same server with "Character B" until the next server restart (or a certain amount of time 12 hours)? and vice versa obviously.

This will also stop people from server hopping the same server but at 2 different locations (for each character)

Edited by Count_Grishnackh

I wouldn't mind it, have a home screen displaying both and you choose there. I'd almost prefer it in the end.

I would be for it, but you know there are people who would use one of their characters like a bank safe deposit box for rare loot.

• Like 1

Best option is to just play on a different private hive for a different character ... all I can see out of a second character slot is more ghosting or people leaving character #2 logged out in same area so they can hop straight on them for a revenge kill.

• Like 3

I would be for it, but you know there are people who would use one of their characters like a bank safe deposit box for rare loot.

People already do....

• Like 1

What is the communities view on having a second character slot? (Probably has been suggested before...)

Reason: I mainly play with other people... and when they aren't available, I'd like to solo with a totally different character.

Now you're probably going to say I should go play on a private server... that doesn't really help me when I live in South Africa, where  DayZ community is already tiny... we only have a handful of servers and all are public.

What are pros and cons?

Solution, Host a Private Server. In my opinion all servers should be unhooked from the hive since it adds very little value but creates some bad situations like Ghosting, Server hopping for loot, and a generic sea of players who you never really get to know. Private servers are the way to go.

People already do....

Yes, but at least they had to get a second Steam Account and purchase the game again to have their "Mule Character" to hold their stuff. Why give it to them free?
  • Like 3

There already exists such a thing, its called 1pp. Too bad nobody plays it since its much more immersing. They should make it so everybody spawns with an m4 on 1pp, then people would play it.

• Like 3

1pp/private servers are not an option because they don't exist where I am...

I get the "mule" character thing, but who ever does this are still playing a single character at a time... they aren't magically getting good loot or anything...

The only "positive" thing playing like this would be having one character near NWAF/military area or searching for Heli crashes... while you have one character on the cost/elekrto... so really you are only saving valuable traveling time...or?

It doesn't allow you to have duplicate weapons/gear... they are 2 completely different entities

As far as ghosting...yeah, probably would happen... but even then, you'd have to have both characters in the same area etc and are still risking getting killed, it doesn't make situations less dangerous

To combat this... perhaps something could be implemented where if your "Character A" joins a server then you cant join that same server with "Character B" until the next server restart (or a certain amount of time 12 hours)? and vice versa obviously.

This will also stop people from server hopping the same server but at 2 different locations (for each character)

I'm bringing this up to make DayZ more accessible, using my own situation as an example...

Currently... I want to play DayZ, but I choose not to because I am mainly playing with a friend (and/or other people)

Right now if I decide to play.... I will not be where we both logged out, have the chance of being killed etc... then Id have to restart and regear/meet up again.

Id like a casual character I can mess around with.

It's a bad idea that won't happen for multiple reasons, the most important being what a guy above me already mentioned: revenge kills.

Gear up two characters, keep them at NWAF. PvP as normal until your first character dies. Immediately switch to your second character, get a revenge kill, drop all of your assailant's gear on the ground, log off, make new character, run to your original corpse and the corpse of your murderer, profit.

Rinse and repeat.

Edited fist post with a solution to revenge kills/ ghosting ...

The solution already exists...

Private Servers.

I get that you don't have any in your immediate area, but that is not the fault of the other thousands of players and the option of going out and RENTING A PRIVATE SERVER already exists and is far less exploitive than a second public character. 

2nd character is completely unnecessary and would only be exploited. It would just harm the game without actually adding anything good.

I bought another copy of the game to have a 2nd character slot.

Buy a new copy of the game.

There already exists such a thing, its called 1pp. Too bad nobody plays it since its much more immersing. They should make it so everybody spawns with an m4 on 1pp, then people would play it.

But then they would complain that everyone's a KOSer :p

Actually I would stop playing 1pp if they did that.

I do not think you should have two or more characters at the same time at the same hive. It reduces your attachment to your ingame avatar and opens gates for abuse (like using one character for hoarding items or getting quick reinforcements in group PvP). Instead you should switch over to private servers/hives for this.

However, I think there should be an option to skip server-hopping/combat-logging prevention measures (waiting times etc.) by starting a new character. Though in this case your old survivor and all of her gear should be wiped.

I bought another copy of the game to have a 2nd character slot.

Buy a new copy of the game.

I have to ask, why do you need a second character slot? Seems like a massive waste of money.

• Like 1

I have to ask, why do you need a second character slot? Seems like a massive waste of money.

I was using it as a mule.

I also thought of using it as a backup trading char without risking my main goods. But I never used it for that.

Edited by Yazar8

I am up to three, and don't consider $30 or $35 a massive amount of money compared to $10 for going out to a movie that lasts an hour and a half. Sorry, I like to compare entertainment value to the overpriced movie theaters.  I used to use mine for a mule, but now I use it to prep for group events, and then be able to carry on just PVPing on one character while one guy awaits whatever organized event is planned next.

Edited by northofnowhere

I have seen this sometimes, A person has two almost identically named characters on the same server and play with both. Seems completely useless but each to his own I guess.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see the public hives a bit more segmented, with various bundled groupings of hives.  But this is basically the same as private hives are now, only with perhaps 20 to 50 servers sharing a public hive segment.  The issue with separating up the public hive would be that certain regions would have much more opportunity to play different public characters, than would people in areas with fewer overall servers.

My baseline suggestion would be to just get good at running, surviving, and re-gearing.  Unless you friend always hangs out at Tisy, I don't think you'd be very put-out by a nice run here and there.