Sign in to follow this  
Hawksachute

SurvivaL Please ...

They gave us survivalists new means to get up and away from the coast even faster! We'll be just fine hiding in the woods while everyone else does their PvP thing for a while ;)

Specifically, Oak bark. Unfortunately, Birch bark will not work to make a hand drill kit. Both kinds of bark can be used as kindling, however. In theory, that means 2 oak bark + 2 sticks = lit fireplace.

Appreciate the help on that one! :D

seems like there are very few of you that want to run half way across the map and find nothing... i suggest staying in the woods and having a good time where loot doesn't exist...

seems like there are very few of you that want to run half way across the map and find nothing... i suggest staying in the woods and having a good time where loot doesn't exist...

What exactly are you trying to add to the conversation here?

What exactly are you trying to add to the conversation here?

I was probably a little too harsh, but stand by my comment.

while i agree loot needs moving around so it doesn't spawn 11 items in the same house, too much loot is better than no loot which was seen in .55 persistence.

dayz was down to 6k or lower player base during those times... now its in the 20k's... do you see a correlation there? very few members want to play a game where loot is few and far between, and you starve 6/7 times.

I'm adding that the OP's desired view of dayz is few and far between, if you don't like finding loot, stay away from towns and play in the wood where the loot doesn't exist. exactly what i said in my first post... another .55 update will see 2/3 of the player base jumping off again. 

there is a fine line between too much loot and not enough. changing the spawn points around the entire map would probably elevate the problem of items hardly spawning on the coast, since items spawn in locations no frequently picked up. right now the program reads it as there is a shit load of pickups on the coast, but none in the west/north, causing few items to spawn on the coast.

dayz was down to 6k or lower player base during those times... now its in the 20k's... do you see a correlation there?

Yes, a new patch came out after more than two months since the last one, and it was a huge patch with positive implications for all playstyles. I guess you stopped paying attention after day one of the patch, because that number is already on it's way back down -- and it'll go back up again when there's another patch. I guess you don't pay attention to trends as well as you think you do.

another .55 update will see 2/3 of the player base jumping off again. 

The reasons for the numbers going down with 0.55 are many. To act as though there was one single factor in the active player statistics dropping in the two months (again: two months) after that patch came out is to oversimplify it to the highest degree. You're very conveniently ignoring a lot to make your case here.

• Like 4

To act as though there was one single factor in the active player statistics dropping in the two months (again: two months) after that patch came out is to oversimplify it to the highest degree.

I agree with Tatanko - and I would attribute things such other sandbox and survival games launching and getting updates pulling away from the DayZ SA base (such as H1Z1, Ark, Rust, Reign of Kings, etc). It's a similar player who likes all of those, and as of late even the streamers have been shifting their attention, which in turn also helps turn the attention of the available player base. There's also when in the school year things fell (a lot of high school and college kids play) and the fact that spring/summer have come along in the northern hemisphere and people's attention is being pulled away from being cooped up in the cold. There's a lot that goes into a trend, the patches are a smaller factor than you'd think.

It needs a lot of work, but that's why this is an alpha.

The first go at persistence and global loot economy was terrible. Some servers bugged and got no loot, while others had all thier loot in 'loot splosions' in a single location. I do think there needs to be more dispersion of loot tho. Loot spawns should 'make sense' but be dispersed in such a way that one does have to travel to get 'all the goodies' not just switch servers 5 times at the 'best type of building'.

edit - on comments from 2nd page;

You cant tie the pop drop to a single thing. As other have pointed out other games have released during that period which appeal to a similar audience, some servers being bugged during the implementation of global loot caused some clans/communities to go elsewhere for a bit. After that I flat stopped playing SA entirely and won't likely return till beta/release. Design decisions i don't agree with on top of the alpha-related issues is just too much for me to find enjoyment in the game at this time.

Edited by Sovetsky
  • Like 1

Yes, a new patch came out after more than two months since the last one, and it was a huge patch with positive implications for all playstyles. I guess you stopped paying attention after day one of the patch, because that number is already on it's way back down -- and it'll go back up again when there's another patch. I guess you don't pay attention to trends as well as you think you do.

The reasons for the numbers going down with 0.55 are many. To act as though there was one single factor in the active player statistics dropping in the two months (again: two months) after that patch came out is to oversimplify it to the highest degree. You're very conveniently ignoring a lot to make your case here.

people are going to play games they enjoy... dayz was not enjoyable, so they went to other games. lets take a bet, i bet the play base does not drop to the 6k like it was during .55 .... guess we will be watching.

and it wasn't a slow drop over 2 months. it was a rocket ship implosion down to 6k.

btw... look at this link, you're saying other games didn't come out to draw players away from dayz during other months? logic. bad game = loss of 60% of your player base in 2 months.

http://games.on.net/2015/06/dayz-player-base-more-than-halves/

Edited by twr

dayz was down to 6k or lower player base during those times... now its in the 20k's... do you see a correlation there? very few members want to play a game where loot is few and far between, and you starve 6/7 times.

Yeah it's a problem i aggred with you (few loot but not many many in the same place)

OK, so you want a best ever played game aroud world COD --" (here it's million guys) and a very accesible game (not a pb for me cod are "good" game) But it's so boring ; we need something incredible and ORIGINAL :/  ((like Arma were in the past) (Not VSD,Not BF, Not COD -> just ARMA) ^^

and it wasn't a slow drop over 2 months. it was a rocket ship implosion down to 6k.

btw... look at this link, you're saying other games didn't come out to draw players away from dayz during other months? logic. bad game = loss of 60% of your player base in 2 months.

Yes it was an implosion a big issue in a game s developpemnt . Moreover It's Alpha , Million bought the game, well if its 6k of pwe pwe fashion "little boy"  run away. it s ok for me. some Youtuber did bad advt for the game and reduced the game as a PVP,  as s h*$^  Fu% k$^ I kill you AHAHAH .    

For me it s not ARMA Or bohemia idea (philosophy)  , But yes... time change and need to adapt ...

For me Dev  need to be clear about DayZ the "orientation" befor 0.9 or 0.7 ! (I suppose they already know that ! but they don't tell to avoid an Other Implosion ^^ )

edit : Sorry didnt see MutliQuot , 2x post :/

Edited by Hawksachute

btw... look at this link, you're saying other games didn't come out to draw players away from dayz during other months?

Didn't say that. All I said is that there were many factors. This would qualify as a "factor", no? Other games weren't the only influence, however, but even if they were, so what? People see something new and shiny, so they want to go play with it; eventually they may grow bored and go back to doing whatever it is they were playing before, or they'll move on to something else entirely. People are finicky like that.

What you don't seem to get is that DayZ's popularity as a game in the alpha development stage doesn't matter -- at all -- and it will swing up and down wildly for any number of reasons. To say, "It's because it's a bad game" is asinine; by saying that you are demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the situation and game development in general. Moreover, you've now created a pointless, off-topic battle about something that doesn't even matter and contributed nothing worthwhile to the thread, all while making yourself look like a crybaby. Congrats, that's impressive.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

I'm hoping after release they play with the animal numbers so we get times where there's fewer, making it harder to live or making an area devoid because of over hunting, say. This would force us to live a more vegetarian diet but we'd be suffering for it so we'd move slower and have less health for example.

Changes in the environment should have a big impact on our survival chances.

• Like 1

I see some people are complaining about all the loot in .57. Do you guys remember when there was hardly any food or loot anywhere? And you would starve within 10 min of spawning fresh? Sheesh be happy for the time being...its not going to be like this forever. Enjoy it while you can, get some pvp in and hone your skills for the real deal later on...arm yourself with that AK74 at the new enterable military building (a mag conveniently spawns right next to it) and go to Berezino for some PVP. If you havent seen the revamped Berezino you should check it out. Its gonna be an awesome PVP hotspot...hiding places everywhere. Ill be waiting.

I'm hoping after release they play with the animal numbers so we get times where there's fewer, making it harder to live or making an area devoid because of over hunting, say. This would force us to live a more vegetarian diet but we'd be suffering for it so we'd move slower and have less health for example.

Changes in the environment should have a big impact on our survival chances.

Or over-foraging.

In my perfect Day Z, plants (as well as apple trees and berry bushes) would not have the stupid , Random success/failure mechanic it has now. Instead, each plant would have a finite "inventory" of foragables (cattail rhizomes, stalks, and pollen-heads, berries, apples, etc). Once those are gone, they are gone until a certain amount of time has passed, preferably equal to the amount of time it takes crops to grow (which also needs to be extended, HEAVILY. Like, a week of real-time for crops to grow would be nice). 

That way, you actually have to be like an actual hunter-gatherer, and have to move on to a new area when you pick an area clean of edible plants. Or, kill all the animals in an area.

• Like 2

Didn't say that. All I said is that there were many factors. This would qualify as a "factor", no? Other games weren't the only influence, however, but even if they were, so what? People see something new and shiny, so they want to go play with it; eventually they may grow bored and go back to doing whatever it is they were playing before, or they'll move on to something else entirely. People are finicky like that.

What you don't seem to get is that DayZ's popularity as a game in the alpha development stage doesn't matter -- at all -- and it will swing up and down wildly for any number of reasons. To say, "It's because it's a bad game" is asinine; by saying that you are demonstrating a complete lack of understanding of the situation and game development in general. Moreover, you've now created a pointless, off-topic battle about something that doesn't even matter and contributed nothing worthwhile to the thread, all while making yourself look like a crybaby. Congrats, that's impressive.

idiocy, no.

We don't have too much food, ammo and weapons. What we have too much of are people who want DayZ to be designed just the way they play and no other play style. Oh, they say "Yes, make DayZ for everyone", then suggest ideas that only.cater to their play style.

By keeping ammo and weapons available you allow players to CHOOSE whether to play KOS or use their weapons to defend themselves. If you want to live your DayZ life with a garden and white picket fence, you can do that, too.

You say that people can arm themselves in 20 minutes. Great! Then they will be prepared sooner for players who only play KOS. That is what a fair game looks like. It's mind boggling that people don't get it that reducing ammo and weapons does not discourage KOS at all. As a matter of fact, it will make it easier for KOS players because it will make it harder for other players to arm themselves before a KOS player gets to them. It's so obvious.

If a fresh spawn takes 2-4 hours to find ammo and a matching weapon, they are more likely going to come across a KOS player in that amount of time. Why doesn't this occur to people who think rare ammo and weapons will help? It won't.

All play styles should be supported. It's a survival game. Thus, there should be multiple ways to deal with surviving. And dealing with armed players is one of those ways. If you came across a KOS type player, wouldn't you want to be armed when that happens? Of course you do.

This is survival. Not home and garden magazine.

Edited by BulletGarden
  • Like 2

Or over-foraging.

In my perfect Day Z, plants (as well as apple trees and berry bushes) would not have the stupid , Random success/failure mechanic it has now. Instead, each plant would have a finite "inventory" of foragables (cattail rhizomes, stalks, and pollen-heads, berries, apples, etc). Once those are gone, they are gone until a certain amount of time has passed, preferably equal to the amount of time it takes crops to grow (which also needs to be extended, HEAVILY. Like, a week of real-time for crops to grow would be nice). 

That way, you actually have to be like an actual hunter-gatherer, and have to move on to a new area when you pick an area clean of edible plants. Or, kill all the animals in an area.

Good idea, but let's hope that doesn't happen until persistence is back for good.  I did not miss stashing as much as I had before, but this must be really tough for new players who aren't confident in locating the necessities and navigating well.

We don't have too much food, ammo and weapons. What we have too much of are people who want DayZ to be designed just the way they play and no other play style. Oh, they say "Yes, make DayZ for everyone", then suggest ideas that only.cater to their play style.

By keeping ammo and weapons available you allow players to CHOOSE whether to play KOS or use their weapons to defend themselves. If you want to live your DayZ life with a garden and white picket fence, you can do that, too.

You say that people can arm themselves in 20 minutes. Great! Then they will be prepared sooner for players who only play KOS. That is what a fair game looks like. It's mind boggling that people don't get it that reducing ammo and weapons does not discourage KOS at all. As a matter of fact, it will make it easier for KOS players because it will make it harder for other players to arm themselves before a KOS player gets to them. It's so obvious.

If a fresh spawn takes 2-4 hours to find ammo and a matching weapon, they are more likely going to come across a KOS player in that amount of time. Why doesn't this occur to people who think rare ammo and weapons will help? It won't.

All play styles should be supported. It's a survival game. Thus, there should be multiple ways to deal with surviving. And dealing with armed players is one of those ways. If you came across a KOS type player, wouldn't you want to be armed when that happens? Of course you do.

hum you rigth , KOS is a hight part of gameplay in Dz, Your analyse of "who think rare ammo and weapons will help? It won't." is interesting .  The truth is I don't really know :/

We can think rare weapons cause KOS because, "I want to that GUN !" ^^ OR we can think that cause wariness, talk, trading .  like a Rock paper scissors. or in RP serveurs

When a game is everything , he becames NOTHING !  well of course "Yes, make DayZ for everyone" but  it s needs to follow a principal direction.

For me it s just, Hard "realistic" survival (with Pvp of course)

you can't eliminate kos. In every pvp setting there will be kos, thats not the point here. Right now there is a gun/ammo/food/water in nearly every house. There is no need for survival mechanics.

Loot galore = boring. Ruthless apocalypse where you fight hunger/thirst/people = yay

Can't wait for the re-implementation of persistence...the current version is boring as hell, very very easy, casual gameplay. 

• Like 1

OP, PVP is part of survival. If its the apocalypse, its person vs. everything. If you want a game that involves no PVP and wants you to survive in the wild, go play a PVE Rust server, or go play the scrap heap called The Forest. PVP is a major factor in survival.

What we have too much of are people who want DayZ to be designed just the way they play and no other play style. Oh, they say "Yes, make DayZ for everyone", then suggest ideas that only.cater to their play style.

Contradict yourself much?  :rolleyes:

Honestly I would hate DayZ to become a farming simulator, I really think DayZ needs a better balance between PvP and PvE which will satisfy a larger audience. I'm worried that only a few people will end up playing a FarmZ and it will get very boring very quickly, that said I don't want an Elektro moshpit on every server after release. You should be able to survive at the coast but be rewarded for travelling inland imo.

Honestly I would hate DayZ to become a farming simulator, I really think DayZ needs a better balance between PvP and PvE which will satisfy a larger audience. I'm worried that only a few people will end up playing a FarmZ and it will get very boring very quickly, that said I don't want an Elektro moshpit on every server after release. You should be able to survive at the coast but be rewarded for travelling inland imo.

Survival Simulator, not Farming Simulator. If it was a Farming Simulator there wouldn't be military weapons, bases and the like to loot. You're essentially upset that this game is going more into the survival side of things and you can't grasp the concept of this game yet. You'll have your PVP and it will be more balanced than ever once it gets to that point and you'll have hermits living up north off the land with bases that you'll have to deal with.

Edited by Grappler

I have survivied for 10 hours in DayZ. After I being ganged up by a groupd of cold blooded badits, I learend new way to surive and also can fight back the bandits whenever they are encountering me.

First of all, go find clothes that have more slots to carry supplies with you. Then sneak around big citiea to loot tactical vest and police station for MP5-K. The reason I said go for MP5-K is the ammuntion of that SMG is really easy to find and the rate of fire is insane. It's also almost invisible for otger players to see the firearm. I got pinned down by 2 guys earlier. I guess they had no idea that I have .357 revolver and mp5-k on me and I do have plenty ammo for both of the firearms. I knew they were following me, so I led them into a building. They followed me into the building and they had no idea that I was waiting for them with my MP5-K. I sprayed the whole mag at them. Then loot the bodies ... then out of the city in no time.

You need to learn how to improvise at any situation. Don't want to take the risk to fight bad guys, then lay low and run fast into the woods. Now my character is fully geared up,I can either get into a gun fight or continue to another locayion for better gears

The problem as I see it now is that I really dont have to do any survival gameplay at all to play Dayz. I dont need a tent, I dont need a fire, I dont need to rest in any way...and I can run across the map with a 40 kg backpack in no time.

If these are the basic premises for survival in Dayz it will never be a survival simulator in any way. Just one more game with a lame interpretation of what it means to survive.

Go out for urself, pack a rucksack and sleep outside for 3 nights...it will not be like in Dayz, thats for sure.

The devs can start by implementing some kind of stamina system...

• Like 1