Sign in to follow this  
thomas05

how to navigate to big cities without signs/compass/map when it is day?

cuz i don't always have those things and i spawn alot in the wilderness instead on the beach

The more you play the more things will become familiar and then you'll be able to identify your direction as North/South/East/West.

Eventually you'll learn the map enough to navigate without getting lost too often.

Also, once you find your heading take note of your shadow, it can help you stay on course through the wilderness without a compass.

• Like 3

cuz i don't always have those things and i spawn alot in the wilderness instead on the beach

Want to know how I learned the map?

I spawned and chose a direction to run.

When I find a town, I find the white signs.

On my phone, I have this Izurvive app. I just find the translation for the sign so I know what town i'm in.

I just did this^ a lot until I knew the names of towns, before slowly recognizing them by heart, and their location.

It takes time. So just play the game and don't worry about where you are.

Completely lost in the wilderness?

Want to find "civilization," so that you can get your bearings?

1) Enable the Steam in-game FPS counter, or equivalent.

2) Very slowly, rotate your character in a complete 360 degree circle.

3) Watch the FPS closely.

4) Head towards the lowest FPS observed.

Guaranteed to work day, or night, or your money back!

• Like 1

snip...~ So just play the game and don't worry about where you are.

as simple as it is, this is probably the best advice ever given for a new player

noob's should wander and explore...experience is not only the best teacher, in truth it is the only one.

• Like 1

as simple as it is, this is probably the best advice ever given for a new player

noob's should wander and explore...experience is not only the best teacher, in truth it is the only one.

The experts have always taught themselves.

Like games and movies, if you are really passionate about it, you will learn every little speck about it.

Then whenever someone new comes along, they ask you about everything because you know so much.

Learning things yourself better.

mostly agreed...in the small world of DayZ, or other small worlds (games, movies, your backyard) an individual that is the most knowledgeable will have gained that know-how through experiencing the environment. i could read all of the wiki's in the world to find out how to do things, but until i apply that instruction and experience the outcomes, i havent actually "learned" anything. i would only know how it works in theory. that is why i found your simple advice profound.

that said, to expect today's younger gamers to follow such advice is a bit futile, for all but the most patient will break out for a map/forum help/etc before giving themselves a chance to just wander about and wonder. nothing wrong with that, i just feel that it cheats a person out of the thrill of discovery somewhat, which for me personally, diminishes the overall experience. DayZ, while small in comparison to the actual world, shares alot of the same complexity. to that point, without an outside source of information, a new player may become bored because they simply do not know what is possible. i played for a meager 8-10 days (Mod) before seeking information outside of the game environment, and i think i enjoy DayZ more now because i tried to learn everything i could before getting "help", then. might not be for everyone, but thats what worked for me.

now...I'm off to get me a cow :)

Follow rail tracks or power lines (the big ones) to get to a bigger town.

And what the others said. Explore and one day you will know the whole map.

Somethimes i think that i know that map way to good, i even suprise my self somethimes when am in the middle of forest, middle of nowhere and i exactly know where i am and where to go. I qs that after some time playing you not gona need to know where is N and where S. 

Just wander around. Before long you'll hit something you recognise.

Nothing wrong with using the map, but it won't take long for it to become almost impossible to get lost. Enjoy not knowing where you are while it lasts, because the map is a lot smaller than you think.

• Like 1

There is a band of purists who refuse to use the out of game maps. In which case just follow a road, railway or power lines. Oh, and there's always the old thing about the clouds moving west to east...

I know the western half of the map off by heart now, and can have a good go at knowing where I am in the east. You get used to landmarks (Green Mountain Tower, Veresnik Hill, the Orsha radio mast, that big stony hill near Cherno, etc), and to your routes. I can get from almost any spawn to home base in the far northwest without a map or compass now, usually via Dolina, Nadezhdino or NEAF/northern highway.

You have to say "Backpack" in a loud voice over the push to talk. Then when all of your items start floating around you, you have to make sure to say "Map".

Oh, and be on the lookout for a fox with a bandit mask on. If you see him, make sure you yell "Swiper no Swiping!"

Completely lost in the wilderness?

Want to find "civilization," so that you can get your bearings?

1) Enable the Steam in-game FPS counter, or equivalent.

2) Very slowly, rotate your character in a complete 360 degree circle.

3) Watch the FPS closely.

4) Head towards the lowest FPS observed.

Guaranteed to work day, or night, or your money back!

I giggled.

This is the standard thing to do:

I guess you know just about what time it is on the server ?

Go East -  use the sun to find East, go East to the coast.

On the coast it's easy to know where you are and which direction to move.

This has always been the standard action when you are really lost and don't know the map.

xx

There are plenty of landmarks very distinct to Dayz as well as land features that can give you a good position on where you are at map wise with the game. When  you do enough running around you can easily tell which area you are in from point A to point B. It just takes time to memorize key features of the map.

I kinda of cheat by dual screening with a copy of the map on the other screen.  Though I found I'm getting use to most of the cities and area's that it doesn't take long from a spawn spot to figure out exactly where I'm at on the map.