WilliamTheConqueror

I have got to be the unluckiest player in DayZ

I need to rant. Every death I have had over many characters for months has been to being killed on sight, minus one from stair glitch. Maybe one or two was my fault, but every single other time is really frustrating. My characters last maybe 3 hours at the most. Some only 30 min. Here are my last few deaths. Fresh spawn in Electro, as I run down a road inland to avoid the city, I get sniped in the back. Spawn in a small town south of Berizino, get axed in the back of the head while picking up a can of food, not 10 minutes after spawn. Spawn in Cherno, get killed by a group toting M4's. Spawn in Berizino, grap some quick loot, and get shot in the back as I run away. Most of the people who kill me I never see, and those I do I get a quick glance before they put the bullet in my face, or a minute of running away from them when they have an axe. It's been like this for months. I have not had any friendly encounter for months. I don't think it's becuase I am unobservant. These experiences have made me look over my shoulder every minute with every life. I scan even the smallest of towns from a distance to make sure no one is there. There is nothing that can be done to solve this issue, and I know this is how DayZ is now. But when I get KOS'ed within half an hour of spawn 20 times in a row, it starts to seem uncanny. Is being this unlucky supposed to be this common? Not one person I have met in game has actully talked to me before trying to kill me. The ones that do are screaming obsenities at the top of their lungs. Rant over.

Edited by WilliamTheConqueror
  • Like 1

I usually try and talk to people...

I didn't recently but that was because my unarmed buddy was meeting me at a cluster of buildings. I was just moving around such cluster of buildings when I caught movement. I checked the guy out and he had a decent gun which he put away while eating a can of food. I shot him in the head through a window from about 100 yards without a scope. Not a hard shot when you think about it, but I had a buddy inbound without means to defend himself but some good things otherwise and I didn't want to take the risk as I had a slow to reload mosin and the guy had an SKS, at that range he had a definite advantage even if I had the drop on him and told him to freeze and my buddy was about to stumble into everything. 

are you playing on highly populated servers?

i for example play on low/mid populated servers most of the time, and did not die (expept for bugs or exp) in ages

if you don't like to die, why dont you try those servers for a change

• Like 1

I know it doesn't solve the problem, but if you are having a really tough time and just want to get a character rolling, you can try spawning fresh on a low population server. At one point, several hundred hours ago, I was feeling like you are. I spent some time on low pop servers just so I could get off the coast, learn the game, and enjoy myself. After awhile, I felt comfortable enough to get back into max player count servers. I learned how to survive in a slightly less stressful environment and then expanded on those skills until it was no longer a problem. I'm just as comfortable spawning in on a 45/50 as I am on a 0/50 server.

These days, the only time I get KoS'ed is when I do something stupid. For example, the last time I was KoS'ed, I stood up from my computer chair to grab my headphones which are hanging from a hook on the wall. I was standing somewhat in the open when I did that and started hearing single gunshots as I sat back down. While my character was standing still, the guy missed me 4 times with what I believe was a Mosin. As I started to run, the 5th shot hit me in the head and I died. 

Another thing that might help is finding a friend to play with. I roll around Chernarus with a friend I met on here and we have saved one another countless times from stealth ninja zombies and over aggressive assholes. Just the other day some guy came into a military jail behind us while my friend was picking up and loading a Magnum he found. The guy started up the stairs with his axe raised, no doubt expecting to catch an unsuspecting victim fooling with items, but instead was met with a hail of .45 ACP and a trip back to the coast because I was covering those stairs like a good partner. 

Edited by ColdAtrophy
  • Like 1

are you playing on highly populated servers?

i for example play on low/mid populated servers most of the time, and did not die (expept for bugs or exp) in ages

if you don't like to die, why dont you try those servers for a change

I play in mid pop servers all the time. Although the lowest I'll go is 10 players. After I have gotten some decent gear, I eventually try higher pop servers, and thats where I go wrong I guess. Unfortunatly, the game is no fun with out any interaction. I keep remembering the early days of the Standalone and even the mod where people were more trusting and the word bandit meant someone who HELD YOU UP AND ROBBED YOU.

Try going into a 20-30 server, and don't go into the big cities, just loot some small houses and deerstands on the way inland.

• Like 2

I usually try and talk to people...

I didn't recently but that was because my unarmed buddy was meeting me at a cluster of buildings. I was just moving around such cluster of buildings when I caught movement. I checked the guy out and he had a decent gun which he put away while eating a can of food. I shot him in the head through a window from about 100 yards without a scope. Not a hard shot when you think about it, but I had a buddy inbound without means to defend himself but some good things otherwise and I didn't want to take the risk as I had a slow to reload mosin and the guy had an SKS, at that range he had a definite advantage even if I had the drop on him and told him to freeze and my buddy was about to stumble into everything. 

Nice KOS.

Public servers are like deathmatch playgrounds... for the most part. You've gotta be EXTREMELY careful, and heading to the smaller towns inland is your only hope for peace, as most of the war is waged on the coast (as you know). You might be better looking for a private server that keeps a good population.

It's difficult as a survivor because you, like myself, would like good interaction with other survivors with a risk of being double crossed or murdered, that's ok. I struggle at times the same way you do - when everyone's end goal is to kill anyone they see it's not as fun and immersive as it could be, it makes the game a bit shallow. Your luck will turn around, I had a 3 month stretch where I was going through the same thing as you, that followed up with a month of all lucky good encounters. It's hit or miss, thus the life of a survivor.

Hang in there... and watch your back.

• Like 1

Try going into a 20-30 server, and don't go into the big cities, just loot some small houses and deerstands on the way inland.

I agree and have done this all the time. I never stay on the coast. What's more frustrating that getting shot with no warning on the coast is getting shot with no warning in some obscure village in the middle of the map.

you rlly want to play on privet shard servers (those you need to be whitelisted on) with certain rules

Aloooooot less KOS unless you are in a designated area

Public servers are like deathmatch playgrounds... for the most part. You've gotta be EXTREMELY careful, and heading to the smaller towns inland is your only hope for peace, as most of the war is waged on the coast (as you know). You might be better looking for a private server that keeps a good population.

It's difficult as a survivor because you, like myself, would like good interaction with other survivors with a risk of being double crossed or murdered, that's ok. I struggle at times the same way you do - when everyone's end goal is to kill anyone they see it's not as fun and immersive as it could be, it makes the game a bit shallow. Your luck will turn around, I had a 3 month stretch where I was going through the same thing as you, that followed up with a month of all lucky good encounters. It's hit or miss, thus the life of a survivor.

Hang in there... and watch your back.

I will, and it has already paid off. Just yesterday, I had my first non fatal encounter. Well, the guy did have me at gun point, and made me take off my pants to check for human flesh. But we got cornered by bandits and held out in the corner pup for ages, trying to get a bead on the guys outside. He gave me a gun and we tried to push out. Unfortunately, we got about halfway down the street before getting gunned down. But it's still an improvement.

Fuck talking to people. I'm so tired of trying to be friendly only to get shot. Started playing again a few days ago. Died 3 times in as many days. First time I saw a guy way in the distance, so I use my binoculars to see if he's armed after doing the wiggle dance. Headshot.

Second time I run into barn unarmed. Shot in the legs. "Why?" I say. He keeps shooting at me until I'm dead, despite the fact that I was unarmed.

Third time some shit one-shot punches me in the back of the head. He could have taken my stuff and left me alive, or spoken to me when I woke up. Nope, he just killed me. Goodbye carbine with two mags and scope. Goodbye revolver. I'd love to keep you but I have to give you away to Mike fucking Tyson.

So yeah. If I can't avoid players I'm just going to shoot on sight. I'm tired of gearing up only to get killed without even shooting back. In those three lives I didn't fire a weapon once. In future shooting players in the face is going to be my wiggle dance.

If you want to have non-fatal encounters you need to be the one to control the situation.  You can't rely on other people to play that way.

You should get good at pvp first, then make it happen yourself if that's the experience you want.  You should be the guy with the gun, getting the drop on the other guy.  It's all in your approach as well though, people can tell by your tone if it's not worthwhile to play along.

There's no incentive to "play nice" unless the person is already inclined that way.  So it's up to you to create that incentive.

Edited by Bororm

Ive had about 50% luck with meeting people. But those have been on private shards. Like another poster said: best bet is a private whitelist server with rules. Most have safe zones or no KOS all together.

If you want to have non-fatal encounters you need to be the one to control the situation. You can't rely on other people to play that way.

You should get good at pvp first, then make it happen yourself if that's the experience you want. You should be the guy with the gun, getting the drop on the other guy. It's all in your approach as well though, people can tell by your tone if it's not worthwhile to play along.

There's no incentive to "play nice" unless the person is already inclined that way. So it's up to you to create that incentive.

Not self promotion, but in one of my YouTube videos, I see a guy in the distance, run around to him, and try to hold him up. I completely had no idea what I was doing, and just ran away as he laid down on the ground. I really don't like playing that style yet. It's in my nature to try and say hello. It's just my luck that guy had no idea what was going on either.

Not self promotion, but in one of my YouTube videos, I see a guy in the distance, run around to him, and try to hold him up. I completely had no idea what I was doing, and just ran away as he laid down on the ground. I really don't like playing that style yet. It's in my nature to try and say hello. It's just my luck that guy had no idea what was going on either.

Haha, it's a start.  I'm not saying you have to rob the guy, you just need to control it.  In that situation you could have started a conversation with him.

Admittedly I play in a group so it's easier, but I think with enough practice you could pull it off solo.  It's not going to be 100%, some people are never gonna wanna play along.  But the way you talk to people after that initial hold up goes a long way.

My tips are:

-Don't ever handcuff/bind some one.  You don't want to restrain the person, especially in your case if you aren't robbing them.  I just tell people to put their gun away, or at least lower it.  On numerous occasions people tell me they will give me their gun, and I tell them I don't want it.  Let them keep it, it makes them feel safer, just make sure they aren't pointing it at you.  Lower yours too once things settle down, don't put it away though.

-Your tone/voice again goes a long way.  If some one holds me up and its obvious they don't know what they're doing/they're making a stupid fake voice/they're a little kid/whatever I'm not going along with that.  Talk like a normal person, be calm.

-Expect it to go wrong, but don't care.  If you die, oh well.  If you get a cool experience out of it, great!  Expect them to betray you, it's not a surprise that most people will.  This goes back to your attitude as well, if you're resigned to it people can tell.  A lot of people who are jerks and kill you for "no reason" are really doing it to get a rise out of you, so don't give them the opportunity.

-Make it fun for them.  You don't have to be goofy or have some thing planned out, but just give them a reason to talk to you.  It's why I don't like restraining or disarming people, that's no fun to be on the receiving end of, even if it does turn out well.  Offer them stuff, make it a positive experience.  This is already your goal since you aren't trying to rob people.

If they want nothing to do with you just let them go on their way.  Don't try to force it.  Again, always expect that they'll probably turn on you but don't let it influence your attitude, just take precautions (which is where being competent at killing people is helpful). 

Haha, it's a start. I'm not saying you have to rob the guy, you just need to control it. In that situation you could have started a conversation with him.

Admittedly I play in a group so it's easier, but I think with enough practice you could pull it off solo. It's not going to be 100%, some people are never gonna wanna play along. But the way you talk to people after that initial hold up goes a long way.

My tips are:

-Don't ever handcuff/bind some one. You don't want to restrain the person, especially in your case if you aren't robbing them. I just tell people to put their gun away, or at least lower it. On numerous occasions people tell me they will give me their gun, and I tell them I don't want it. Let them keep it, it makes them feel safer, just make sure they aren't pointing it at you. Lower yours too once things settle down, don't put it away though.

-Your tone/voice again goes a long way. If some one holds me up and its obvious they don't know what they're doing/they're making a stupid fake voice/they're a little kid/whatever I'm not going along with that. Talk like a normal person, be calm.

-Expect it to go wrong, but don't care. If you die, oh well. If you get a cool experience out of it, great! Expect them to betray you, it's not a surprise that most people will. This goes back to your attitude as well, if you're resigned to it people can tell. A lot of people who are jerks and kill you for "no reason" are really doing it to get a rise out of you, so don't give them the opportunity.

-Make it fun for them. You don't have to be goofy or have some thing planned out, but just give them a reason to talk to you. It's why I don't like restraining or disarming people, that's no fun to be on the receiving end of, even if it does turn out well. Offer them stuff, make it a positive experience. This is already your goal since you aren't trying to rob people.

If they want nothing to do with you just let them go on their way. Don't try to force it. Again, always expect that they'll probably turn on you but don't let it influence your attitude, just take precautions (which is where being competent at killing people is helpful).

Very good points. On the point of making it fun for them, one of the deaths I felt really ok about was one where I am trapped in a building with a guy outside. I call out to him, and we actually make some small talk. How's your day, blah blah blah. He made it clear that he was going to kill me, and ended up getting me as I tried to sneak out the back door. Still was a very fun experience Edited by WilliamTheConqueror

I think people also get frustrated when they try to play a certain way, and only that way.  Trying to be friendly 100% of the time is a recipe for disaster.  There's some people who can handle that, and I applaud them, but there's nothing wrong with just playing how you feel in the moment.  DayZ isn't black and white, it's a grey zone.

I KOS a lot, I'm friendly a decent amount, it's whatever the situation warrants or how I feel.  I don't believe in the attitude like BeefBacon's above, which I see a lot, where people complain about KOS then say they're turning to it because "fuck it."  If you wanna be friendly, do it and accept the consequences, if you don't there's no shame in that.  Have fun for yourself first and foremost, it's just a game after all!

• Like 1

I see it similar as Bororm.

Don't get too frustrated, you will learn how to read people over the time.

I never hold people up, but if neither of us starts to shoot immediately I will try and talk to them (if I'm in the mood).

I even put my weapon on my back if he does the same.

I'm usually with a friend and since my English is better than his, I do the talking and trading while he watches my back and the surroundings.

I do kill on sight as well.

It really depends on the situation and location.

Like last time when we were starting to starve and met a newspawn. No way he could have food, so we killed him to eat him. Was the first time I ever killed someone to eat him.

I need to rant. Every death I have had over many characters for months has been to being killed on sight, minus one from stair glitch. Maybe one or two was my fault, but every single other time is really frustrating. My characters last maybe 3 hours at the most. Some only 30 min. Here are my last few deaths. Fresh spawn in Electro, as I run down a road inland to avoid the city, I get sniped in the back. Spawn in a small town south of Berizino, get axed in the back of the head while picking up a can of food, not 10 minutes after spawn. Spawn in Cherno, get killed by a group toting M4's. Spawn in Berizino, grap some quick loot, and get shot in the back as I run away. Most of the people who kill me I never see, and those I do I get a quick glance before they put the bullet in my face, or a minute of running away from them when they have an axe. It's been like this for months. I have not had any friendly encounter for months. I don't think it's becuase I am unobservant. These experiences have made me look over my shoulder every minute with every life. I scan even the smallest of towns from a distance to make sure no one is there. There is nothing that can be done to solve this issue, and I know this is how DayZ is now. But when I get KOS'ed within half an hour of spawn 20 times in a row, it starts to seem uncanny. Is being this unlucky supposed to be this common? Not one person I have met in game has actully talked to me before trying to kill me. The ones that do are screaming obsenities at the top of their lungs. Rant over.

This happens to me everytime I play alone. Im really good at avoiding people in the game now because of it but, everytime I think about interacting with someone I will get shot. What I hate most is when they act friendly and kill you in mid sentence. To me it has gotten to a point now that if I am alone in this game rather you are friendly or not Im just going to shoot you if you come to close to me or I will avoid you all together now. Ive been playing since patch .37 and I have only met 4 people in this game that hasn't KoS'd me. Its rather pathetic people would rather straight up shoot you instead of talking or making it interesting by holding you up and such. If you wanna constantly shoot people without talking go play CoD.

My top tips.... never stand still for too long. If you HAVE to stop in a house in high traffic area to eat/drink/loot then close the doors, this way you can hear if someone comes in to axe your melon.... Move from cover to cover, never just stroll along in the open and plan your route accordingly.... Always have an escape route in place incase you get into trouble..... Move more slowly than you feel you should as it's easier to spot other players....

Every time I've died I have looked at what happened and asked 'what did I do wrong?' I normally die through being careless.

Binoculars are a great tool for spieing on loot spots like chopper crashes to see if there is loot around it and to check sniper spots.. I still die a lot but can have a character alive for 15-20 game hours if I'm careful

My top tips.... never stand still for too long. If you HAVE to stop in a house in high traffic area to eat/drink/loot then close the doors, this way you can hear if someone comes in to axe your melon.... Move from cover to cover, never just stroll along in the open and plan your route accordingly.... Always have an escape route in place incase you get into trouble..... Move more slowly than you feel you should as it's easier to spot other players....

Every time I've died I have looked at what happened and asked 'what did I do wrong?' I normally die through being careless.

Binoculars are a great tool for spieing on loot spots like chopper crashes to see if there is loot around it and to check sniper spots.. I still die a lot but can have a character alive for 15-20 game hours if I'm careful

On your binocular tip, it works great, as long as no one sees you. I was once looking over a town in the distance, hiding out in a bush, and got shot from the town and died. Guess that answered the question of whether someone is there.

I play in mid pop servers all the time. Although the lowest I'll go is 10 players. After I have gotten some decent gear, I eventually try higher pop servers, and thats where I go wrong I guess. Unfortunatly, the game is no fun with out any interaction. I keep remembering the early days of the Standalone and even the mod where people were more trusting and the word bandit meant someone who HELD YOU UP AND ROBBED YOU.

I'm still kind of a noob, maybe 30 hrs in. I'm only playing low pops until I get comfortable with everything. I haven't even seen another player yet, just zombies. I'm going to try and be friendly, we'll see how it goes.