BnZWyatt

10 FT fall = Death

This is on thing that needs to be fixed. Falls that would never kill someone in real life that kills you in this game is rediculous. I fall maybe 10 feet and Im dead.... This is something they need to fix. Break my legs? Sure I can live with that but, death?! Come on....

• Like 2

You do realize that a 10 foot fall is easily lethal in real life, right? And this is with modern medical treatment. 

Hell, you can die via cracking your head on the ground tripping on a roadside curb.

Humans are weird in the sense that we are both very tough (woman survived 100,000 foot fall from an airplane) and very fragile (punch a guy too hard in the head, and he dies) at the same time.

• Like 5

Hit your head falling from a standing position and you can die. 10 feet is pretty dangerous cannot guarantee survival i have only done this once before.

That's like falling off the roof of a single story house.

Now put on a backpack full of canned food and ammunition.

Now throw a 40 year old loaded shotgun over your shoulder.

Now slip and fall off the roof. :)

Edited by Hydranix
  • Like 6

You do realize that a 10 foot fall is easily lethal in real life, right? And this is with modern medical treatment. 

Hell, you can die via cracking your head on the ground tripping on a roadside curb.

Humans are weird in the sense that we are both very tough (woman survived 100,000 foot fall from an airplane) and very fragile (punch a guy too hard in the head, and he dies) at the same time.

10 feet shouldn't kill you normally unless you dive on your head.. Breaking legs should be fine.

Edited by aasand

10 feet shouldn't kill you normally unless you dive on your head.. Breaking legs should be fine.

Land parallel to the ground, and you will rupture something inside. Good as dead.

I jumped off a 25 foot high roof once. The ground was super squishy as it had rained a lot lately and I immediately tucked and rolled, popped up on my feet, and then started running which helped transfer momentum. It still didn't feel great and one of my ankles makes a popping noise sometimes which I have always suspected was from that. 

I'm not sure if I have a point. Jumping off of high stuff isn't a good idea. I'd imagine it would be worse with 75 lbs of bulky gear on your person.

• Like 2

Wow. 100,000 foot fall. Did she fall out of a re-entering space craft? 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with it.  I think they showed/semi-confirmed you can fall from greater heights when the new falling animation is implemented (is it already? I don't even know).

I don't think it should be too high, or you run into a potential problem of people getting into weird positions they shouldn't necessarily be able to.  Jumping to new roofs etc.  I suppose there's a valid argument that it's a sandbox so who cares, and eventually we'll have helicopters any ways (though on the helicopter note it offers another issue, you don't want people just doing ninja leaps off them once they're implemented, for super fast inserts.) but it's something to be considered.

I jumped off a 25 foot high roof once...

Do it again, just for the  :lol: .

But really folks, it depends (irl) how your body meets the ground.

I have a mate who mistakenly stepped off of the 2nd lift/level of a scaffolding, his heel caught on the edge of the kirb and was ripped off.

Handicapped for life but he considers himself lucky "good thing I didn't fall on me bonce" says he !

No need. I was trying to escape from my then girlfriend's house. Her mom came home unexpectedly.... :D

If you fall on your head even a 5cm fall will kill you, if you're made from glass.

Aahahah

Even though I'll agree 3m is a bit ackward, there should be a chance of death along with leg breaking.

I would love if there was a possibility to be paralized, imagine you live your dayz life at a wheelchair from now on, well, if you can find one at the apocalyptic world!

A 100,000 foot fall? Not likely unless she was in the space shuttle ;) (poo someone beat me to it lol)

But, people have fallen out of planes and lived after falling a few miles, 20,000 feet, 35,000 etc.

The terminal velocity of a falling body occurs during free fall when afalling body experiences zero acceleration.  The magnitude of terminalvelocity depends on the weight of the falling body. For a heavyobject, the terminal velocity is generally greater than a lightobject. This is because air resistance is proportional to the fallingbody's velocity squared.  There is much more to determining terminalvelocity than simply body posture and height.  There are, however,some rough estimates that you can use in order to prove your point toyour friends.It is estimated that the human body will reach 99% of terminalvelocity after falling 1,880 feet (573 meters) which takes anywherefrom 10-14 seconds.  With normal posture and normal atmosphericpressure, this is a speed between 117 and 125 miles per hour, orapproximately 54 meters per second.  Another source I found statedthat a human would have to fall over 400 yards (1,200 feet) prior toachieving terminal velocity.

---------------------------------------------

You are correct racecar. I neglected to use the correct formula forcalculating the speed at impact. I was solving for the averagevelocity over the course of the fall, not the speed at impact.My apologies if I provided any misleading information.Having re-worked the math:30 ft. = 29.67 mph10 ft. = 17.24 mph

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=124248

So we're talking 17mph here for a 10 foot fall, which can very much be fatal but as you can see above, after the first 1900 feet, it doesn't matter from that point, you're not going to get any faster.

Edited by Jexter

But really folks, it depends (irl) how your body meets the ground.

I have a mate who mistakenly stepped off of the 2nd lift/level of a scaffolding, his heel caught on the edge of the kirb and was ripped off.

Handicapped for life but he considers himself lucky "good thing I didn't fall on me bonce" says he !

FUCK OWOWOWOWO!!!

That hurts just thinking about it!

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Alkemade

That guy jumped out of a burning Avro Lancaster at 18,000 feet. Only suffered a sprained leg. Was commemorated by the Germans by a certificate testifying it. Was celebrated PoW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Magee

This guy survived a 22,000 foot fall when a section of the right wing of his B-17 was shot off and the plane entered a tailspin. He smashed through the glass roof of a train station (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Saint-Nazaire), he suffered 28 shrapnel wounds, several broken bones, severe damage to his nose and eyes, lung and kidney damage, and his right arm was nearly severed.

Shit happens, yo.

• Like 1

You can tell who's never jumped out of a plane before. 10ft falls won't kill you if you do a decent plf, hell even if you don't. I've stopped bothering to pick up morphine when I see it because I've yet to actually break something and not just outright die (from a fall). 

Might as well add brain aneurysms to the mix while we're at it. Just be walking along energized and hydrated and then BAM out of the blue "you are dead". Wtf was that you think? Oh you had a brain aneurysm and died. It happens in real life so it must make for good game play right?

I knew a woman who slipped and fell in the bathtub.  Alive one day and dead the next.

This is on thing that needs to be fixed. Falls that would never kill someone in real life that kills you in this game is rediculous. I fall maybe 10 feet and Im dead.... This is something they need to fix. Break my legs? Sure I can live with that but, death?! Come on....

my friend died while falling when standing on his feet, so in real life yes it would. its not the height of the fall its the landing that kills you

There was also a Bomber pilot/crewman one of the 2 during WW2 that was blown out of the plane and fell however many thousands of feet it was and landed on a glass roof that broke his fall, was then captured by the Germans and then later released so ya weird shit happens.

I think there should be a significant difference between the damage taken from falling unexpectedly and the damage from a prepared fall, a planned jump. Honestly, five-foot descents are quite often entirely lethal in DayZ. It's a bit silly.

• Like 1

I think there should be a significant difference between the damage taken from falling unexpectedly and the damage from a prepared fall, a planned jump. Honestly, five-foot descents are quite often entirely lethal in DayZ. It's a bit silly.

I think they did modify the fall damage. I took about a 5 foot fall dicking around in a rock quarry and only chipped a bone and ruined my boots. A shot of morphine (found at a police station) took care of the chipped bone and found some new boots on a guard building porch. 

FYI crashing a truck into stuff also ruins your boots. And maybe pants too I think. 

I watched a guy die within an hour of falling 7 feet, landing on one leg, and falling to his back. Stop your crying.

I jumped off a 25 foot high roof once. The ground was super squishy as it had rained a lot lately and I immediately tucked and rolled, popped up on my feet, and then started running which helped transfer momentum. It still didn't feel great and one of my ankles makes a popping noise sometimes which I have always suspected was from that. 

I'm not sure if I have a point. Jumping off of high stuff isn't a good idea. I'd imagine it would be worse with 75 lbs of bulky gear on your person.

jumping out of a humvee with full battle rattle has blown out people's disks in their backs. a humvee is what, 2 feet off the ground. strange things occur to the human body when you hit a hard surface with weight on.

• Like 2