Yawdarious

Internet = Fps Boost?

So, short and sweet. Finally moved out of my parents place and shacked up on a lease with 2 friends. My old internet peaked at 1mbs (download speed) on a good day and bandwidth was as thick as a sheet of paper, and in this new house my DL speed easily hits 6 to 7 mbs. I got settled in and fired up dayz.... My framerate seems far better? Is it possible that desynch and rubberbanding and misc packet loss could choke up the game? Therefore this far better bandwidth and DL speed had unhandicapped me? I really couldnt think of any reason it would run better, ive made no hardware changes. Can anyone theorize upon this? or can anyone confirm that this is possible? Has anyone else also had this happen? All in all im pleased, but i just didnt think that internet connection as a whole would give me more FRAMERATE, just seems odd.

TL;DR New faster internet is giving me more FPS in game, is this normal?

Edited by Yawdarious

It's possible, sure. I can't really relate, as I've been enjoying a 150mbps connection since before the DayZ Mod was around. :)

• Like 1

I have something Im curious about here, mind if I threadjack a bit? It goes along with the subject. 

My internet is roughly around how yours was actually, and I was wondering, is there any efficient ways of speeding up the internet for Dayz + other gaming?

I have something Im curious about here, mind if I threadjack a bit? It goes along with the subject. 

My internet is roughly around how yours was actually, and I was wondering, is there any efficient ways of speeding up the internet for Dayz + other gaming?

In order to "speed up" your internet, you will have to pay for more Mbs from your ISP. There are no ways of speeding up your internet on your end.

It's possible, sure. I can't really relate, as I've been enjoying a 150mbps connection since before the DayZ Mod was around. :)

F5.  F5.  F5.

• Like 1

You shhhh. You make me jealous, You shhhh

In order to "speed up" your internet, you will have to pay for more Mbs from your ISP. There are no ways of speeding up your internet on your end.

...and if the limitation is location as to what you ISP can offer you... you would have to move. I actually check out what is available in areas before I consider them places to move to. My wife loves this inexpensive house with 10 acres and a small barn.... but you can only get ADSL and the switch is a few miles away so screw that.

Did you for sure visit the same towns as before? It can always feel like an fps boost until you go in some big town and you remember and notice "oh how wrong was I..."

order 250mpbs 20 up (which is awesome) rogers cable in Ontario has it now. Package is still over priced though. Should be less then 100 bucks for cable tv, internet etc... but scammers must be scammers.

I ordered just the 100mpbs, and not the 200+ package because I don't need that much yet.

When we hit 1tbps then we all can say awesome.

I had the same experience after adding the TCPnodelay/etc key stuff to regedit. 

I couldn't look at the apartments above Cherno without my FPS dropping down to an horrifying stutter. Running through Nova was like one of those horrible dream, where something is chasing you, but you can only crawl or walk.

After I messed with the registry (something about adding keys to regedit to let packets in better, I don't really understand the details), my FPS in these areas and others improved immensely.
I believe it has something to do with everything being handle on the client-server side, all that jazz.
What I do know for sure, is that while performance has gotten better over patches, when I went and applied this, I had already been patched, config was optimized, launch parameters were set. (I learned to unpark cores later) So it was defiantly something about improving my internet that gave me better FPS at the time... or at least let my computer handle the game/world/data easier.

Edited by Deadjuice

Not entirely true, damaged hardware could cause issues in speed. Such as a faulty line causing "noise" Or if is router is on it's way out, and giving off a poor

signal (if he's wireless of course). But of course if none of that is a factor then he'll need to dip his pockets.

As I understand it, the Arma engine ties the server's simulation rate with your client's FPS to some degree. This is at least partially the reason why even very powerful PCs can struggle to maintain high framerates in the Arma games. Eugen said in a thread about the new renderer from around January that they have been working on decoupling the server's simulation rate from your framerate as a part of the new renderer upgrade. Anyway, if you were dropping packets or generally hitting the limit on what your old connection could handle, it is conceivable that you were losing frames because the information from the server wasn't getting to you in a timely manner. Technically, if this is the case it wasn't your hardware that was dropping frames but your connection that was not providing you with updates from the server. Your new connection may not have that problem and thus you see a noticeable performance increase, even though your hardware hasn't changed.

When I get out of college, Im going to go to someplace that will have gigabit internet, then I'll say "WHOS LAGGING NOW, BIATCH?!?!" as my ping tops like 5 ms and I'll download updates in less than a second. I'll be able to download my whole steam library of maybe ~500 gigs in less than 20 minutes XD