Boygor

980ti performance

Hi all,

Has anyone got hold of a 980ti yet?  I'm curious with reagrds to DayZ performance using that card.

(while i'm at it - does this game take advantage of multi CPU cores yet?)

I'll let you know Wednesday; I've got two on order. If I had to guess? No difference from the 780 Tis I'm using now. 

• Like 6

right on Grimey--i have two of these (EVGA GTX980Ti HYBRID (06G-P4-1996-KR)) in my D&H cart but not sure if i really wanna pull the trigger on'em....guess i'll wait for your feedback too

A 980Ti won't help your frame rate any and you surely don't need that much horsepower to make the game look good (in its current incarnation).

• Like 1

Other games will see much better performance increases than DayZ will. Especially if you're a 1440p gamer like me. That card is overkill for 1080p. 

Hi all,

Has anyone got hold of a 980ti yet?  I'm curious with reagrds to DayZ performance using that card.

(while i'm at it - does this game take advantage of multi CPU cores yet?)

If you're asking due to thinking of buying a 980ti, then I would strongly recommend that you do not commit to a purchase just for the sake of seeing higher fps in DayZ. Optimization will happen later on in the dev cycle, so it would be more interesting to see the metrics in terms of framerate at that point in time.

• Like 4

Power does not always give smooth frames..

Just take a look on ARK.. 30 FPS max, no matter how strong your system is.

Power does not always give smooth frames..

Just take a look on ARK.. 30 FPS max, no matter how strong your system is.

I get 60 fps on stable @ 1080p with the distance shadow rendering trick.

Other games will see much better performance increases than DayZ will. Especially if you're a 1440p gamer like me. That card is overkill for 1080p.

I disagree. There's no such thing as overkill in the video graphics world these days. ;)

I disagree. There's no such thing as overkill in the video graphics world these days. ;)

DayZ (in it's current state) is CPU > GPU upping your CPU by say 500mHz will probably do more compared to getting SLI 980ti.

So if it is for DayZ just invest in better cooling and up the clock.

Edited by Rauchsauger

DayZ (in it's current state) is CPU > GPU upping your CPU by say 500mHz will probably do more compared to getting SLI 980ti.

So if it is for DayZ just invest in better cooling and up the clock.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not upgrading my rig for DayZ... I'm upgrading my rig for the simple reason that I can. :)

• Like 1

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not upgrading my rig for DayZ... I'm upgrading my rig for the simple reason that I can. :)

Nothing to argue there. Personally I would stay clear of dual or SLI because the stuttering caused by synchronisation of the units that I tend to notice (unconsistent framerate) But everyone is different in that regard.

this is the DayZ forum, but my considered upgrade is not just for DayZ, although i am curious what Grimey will see fps-wise with the new cards on this game in particular. maybe nothing, maybe reasonable...until its done we dont know--yes i am aware of the the current state of the game.

micro-stutter has only been an issue a few times since i have run SLI systems, and that goes back to 12mb Diamond Monster Voodoo2's in the late 90's (totally different now of course, since 3dfx sold to Nvidia). of those few times, it was fixed with either a driver update or a patch for the affected application, or in configuration of the devices. given how well the new tech scales with most games, 2 way SLI is totally worth doing, 3 way there are somewhat diminishing returns, and i have never run 4 individual cards in SLI, the only Quad SLI rig being 2 GTX295's. micro-stutter is not inherent to all SLI configurations. 

*yup, edit

Edited by thznutz

I'll let you know Wednesday; I've got two on order. If I had to guess? No difference from the 780 Tis I'm using now. 

Your guess was correct :)

I went out and bought a 980ti (also not jst for DayZ) and i'm still dropping below 20FPS in cities.  This game needs some multicore optimisation sooner rather than later :)  I take it there is no way to force the game to take advantage of multi-cores?

970 ex oc galax silent infinity black edition reporting in i get the same frames as used to get with my gtx 660

I am an i5 4670K user with 16gb ram and win 7 64bit. 

Along with most of my friends (10+ Day Z Players) We are all awaiting the frame rate to be improved, that is the number 1 thing that puts us off playing

EDIT: This rant isn't pertaining to DayZ, just PC games in general. I love DayZ and realize it's an alpha. :)

Just an update, just as I figured, I saw no gain in frame rate upgrading from the 780 Ti to the 980 Ti. On top of that, I'm literally done with gaming on a PC.

I've been a proud member of the #pcmasterrace since 1996, but I'm fucking sick of shitty PC ports. My system absolutely DESTROYS games that are a year old, but new releases? Not so much. Watch Dogs, AC: Unity, Arkham Knight... pre-ordered them all, and haven't been able to properly enjoy them. Even now, Watch Dogs is a laggy piece of shit.

I returned Arkham Knight on Steam and picked it up for PS4. Guess what? It runs way better. Like, it's in a completely different league. My computer almost cost me $5000 to build, and a fucking $400 console plays it better! WTF?! That's half the price of one of my video cards, ffs.

This whole "consoles suck, I like my 1080/60p on PC" crock of shit is such a joke. Sure, you get to enjoy your 4K gaming... eventually. But who actually cares? I have run several of my games at 2160p and they look virtually no different than running them at 1080p with AA.

Sorry that I'm on a bit of a rant, but I can't help it. I'm officially tapping out of PC gaming until developers stop churning out shitty, unoptimized games on release. In no other industry is that acceptable.

"Here are the keys to your new Porsche 911 Turbo, sir. Unfortunately, it currently only goes 60mph. You'll have to wait three months for the proper parts to arrive to let you fully experience the car you were looking to buy. But thanks for your money!"

That's pretty much what PC gaming is these days. I'm having more fun on my PS4 than I've had on my PC since Fallout 3 came out. Some games are capped at 30 FPS, sure, but who gives a shit? It only cost $400, and I often dipped into single digit FPS on THIS SYSTEM while driving the Batmobile. The PC will eventually run the game better, but if I waited for the GOTY edition for every PC title I wanted to play, I'd go nuts.

/end rant

TL;DR:

980 Ti is a definite upgrade from the 780 Ti in some games, but in most games (like DayZ) I'm noticing virtually no difference.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

So perhaps the moral of the story is to turn off your FPS meter and not educate yourself regarding the technology. Ignorance is bliss. /troll

• Like 1

totally understand your frustration. software is always behind hardware, and that seems more prominent each year...i mean...really, 64bit is just now becoming a pre-req? watchdogs has always been a bag of shit since day one, where they turned off all the shadows/shaders so the experience on PC would be comparable to console, essentially stuffing a fat goat dick up the pooper of all PC gamers, and really, all gamers in general. "oh, here are these awesome in-game teaser vid's"---get it, load it up all excited and it looks like something a mongoloid walrus drew on cardboard using its own shit, and runs even worse than it looks...sadly the vast majority of these clusterfucks are console ports, or a title that was developed primarily for console, pc as an after thought...or, of course, a title still in development, in which case...meh, is what it is.

op--i didn't get the 980's i was looking at, awesome card but...gonna hold out for next gen this time and put in a privacy fence instead :thumbsup:

or i guess listen to ^^^

/troll  :beans:

*yup

Edited by thznutz
  • Like 1

hmmm...and Arkham Knight is removed from Steam

/flush

yeah...figure that shit out warner bros...

shits weak

*yup

by the way...walmart isn't selling the confederate flag anymore either...draw your own conclusions 

Edited by thznutz

I waited for the release of Watch Dogs and I watched the reviews. It was pretty clear that the game was a pile of dog poo, so I didn't buy it. Same with ACU and the same with Arkham Knight. No more preorders for me! If the developers don't give a shit about their product, then neither do I, so I don't reward them with a preorder. They have to demonstrate that their game is worth while first, before I reach for my wallet.

• Like 1

hmmm...and Arkham Knight is removed from Steam

/flush

yeah...figure that shit out warner bros...

I lol'd so hard at this while perusing the Steam page for Arkham Knight this morning with my coffee. Since refunding Arkham Knight to Steam before buying it from PlayStation Network, the comments on its Steam page have been hilarious. Warner Bros. is getting what they deserve. Apparently (among a plethora of other fails) they hired a company named Iron Galaxy and only gave them two months to port it to PC from console. Why do they do it that way, anyway? Wouldn't it make much more sense to build the game on the solid foundation that a PC can provide as there are far fewer constraints, and then dumb it down for PS4 and XB1? -_-"

Getting back on topic, I installed DayZ on one of my old computers (AMD Phenom II X4 955/8GB DDR1333/180GB SSD/2GB GTX 760 ITX). It runs fairly well on normal settings. Just for kicks, I yanked out my two 980 Ti cards from my main rig and threw in the 760. Guess what? Even on maximum settings, DayZ ran exactly the same as it did on the 980 Ti. This was pretty much what I expected, but hopefully this thread can be used in the future to address the many "can I run it?"/"help me build a PC for DayZ" threads that pop up around here.

• Like 2

Don't buy shitty console ports or alphas :D Have you tried GTA V if that runs nicely?

Yeah pre-ordering isn't really a good thing unless you know you'll enjoy the game no matter if the performance or bugs are bad at first or you know the developer is realy a trusted one (pretty much none of the big AAA devs).

Oh if you've Arma 3 I'd lke to hear this map's performance with 980 Tis http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?182817-Orshanets-terrain-12-8x12-8km-%28Ukraine%29 Vegetation is killing single 970 easily when there's even a little AA.

Edited by St. Jimmy

I lag like crazy and I've almost all graphic options turn off - and using the same setting as Frankieonpc.

It's def. memory leak issues in larger cities at the moment.

I lag like crazy and I've almost all graphic options turn off - and using the same setting as Frankieonpc.

It's def. memory leak issues in larger cities at the moment.

No, it isn't.

I think PC gaming is entering a golden era right now. But, I'll agree about graphics and console ports. And that crap will be getting worse for a couple years, always happens after nex gen launches.

So what's so great besides arma3? Games like Pillars of Eternity and Project Zomboid. No one should ever allow their kids to play Minecraft console. And if that's not your thing, then there's always VR or Nudie mods! Or wait......both! Games will be hitting a wall with graphics I'm thinking, look at Fallout4, seems they're choosing depth over eye candy like the games I mentioned above. Which platform handles depth? That's easy right.

Edited by Coheed_IV