pj_vr

Dynamic events locations

So in the last status report (http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-02-jun-2015) Brian Hicks elaborated some more on dynamic events and vehicle spawns, with this need little map showing them. A quote: "Obviously Dynamic Event types used to prototype the system were also used as a control point for "Very Rare" items - with the desired intent to ensure that in the final product, players could not farm one location across many servers to quickly gain an item the design team intended to be incredibly hard to find.". That totally makes sense, right?

A look at the map shows that helicrash locations are only on NW airfield (don't know if that is indeed the case, or other spawnlocations are missing on that map), which would totally go against the idea of disencouranging server hopping. At least, that's how i see it. You guys any ideas on this?

What do they even mean with "dynamic events"?

Heli crashes?

What do they even mean with "dynamic events"?

Heli crashes?

Nodding ensues. Heli crashes.

• Like 1

A look at the map shows that helicrash locations are only on NW airfield (don't know if that is indeed the case, or other spawnlocations are missing on that map), which would totally go against the idea of disencouranging server hopping. At least, that's how i see it. You guys any ideas on this?

Nodding ensues. Heli crashes.

Is this true Smoss? Please tell me it isn't.

Is this true Smoss? Please tell me it isn't.

Too late. The nodding was already there. Heli crashes are dynamic events.

o_O Will heli crashes spawn only at NWAF?

Edited by Yazar8

It seems to be this way at least for 0.57. Now this pretty much defeats the purpose of them being dynamic events but probably makes it easier to check whether they are working properly or not.

I hope there will be more possible locations in the future, spread out so you actually have to serach for them instead of hopping on the airfield. And of course hopping would still need a massive nerf regardless of dynamic events.

Edited by Evil Minion

To make matters worse, these events are only dynamic when the server is wiped. The only people that have benefited the last few months are those first few who log on after a wipe, and loot the choppers. Once that rare loot is gone, it stays gone and doesn't come back. It's very tricky, and the solution isn't super easy. Should dynamic events happen every restart, which puts a lot of M4 into player hands, or just on wipes, which makes it very unfair for 99% of the players who can't log on in the first few minutes. Or once a day, or once a week, or whatever?

For 0.57. Later on they will be spread across the map again.

• Like 3

what the hell was the point of even moving them to nwaf?  at least they were unmoving and spread out before.

for me this is a reason to only go a little bit inland.  be damned if I'll go near the giant pvp magnet.

oh boy the old NWAF carnage days are going to be back

\o/

makes no bloody sense though that heli crashes are only at NWAF, there they should stand intact, no?

a heli pilot has to be pretty badly teached to crash a helicopter on an open field with no bjects in the way, actually heli crashes should be way more often seen in wooded areas with a lot of trees knocked over

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

For 0.57. Later on they will be spread across the map again.

NWAF hoppers yipide yaaaay!!!

With working loot?

Thanks.

Well, that's the thing. The loot at the heli crashes is affected by persistence which means that once picked clean, loot will not respawn. It has been announced that persistence will be turned off on Stable branch once .57 hits the servers, so things might look very different on that front once the update rolls out.

How the whole dynamic event feature will eventually look like in it's final form is too early to say since this is also still under development.

the choppers need to fly around the map and actually crash and burn. allowing players to hear them flying/crashing/exploding and see the smoke column of a fresh one. central loot economy will address excess amounts of M4 concerns. lesser Mil loot and attachments can be supplemented into the chopper crashes as needed.

central loot economy will address excess amounts of M4 concerns

I'm not concerned about too many M4s... :D

It keeps the trading thread and community active, after all. We don't want to end up trading damaged rags for pipe wrenches or anything.

I'm not concerned about too many M4s... :D

It keeps the trading thread and community active, after all. We don't want to end up trading damaged rags for pipe wrenches or anything.

actually i would like loot scalled back across the board- then hunger/thrist rates reduced in scale (eating/drinking maybe 1-2 times per hour at most, of active traveling to maintain state) but passing thru many villages to find one canned food/drink item. having 5 bullets and a firearm should feel like an achievement. serious impact on stamina from weight carried too. id like to have to actually choose between that extra magazine or the canteen for a long trek and making the wrong call to be possibly fatal when i find the next town devoid of food/drink.

Smoss, i'll take "dynamic events" for $800

• Like 1

We are talking about police car spawns also?

Would love to see dynamic events where a police car screams down a road and crashes into a building.

I'm confused at how "persistence" will be turned off yet the central loot economy will be running? Don't those two things feed off of eachother?

To make matters worse, these events are only dynamic when the server is wiped. The only people that have benefited the last few months are those first few who log on after a wipe, and loot the choppers. Once that rare loot is gone, it stays gone and doesn't come back. It's very tricky, and the solution isn't super easy. Should dynamic events happen every restart, which puts a lot of M4 into player hands, or just on wipes, which makes it very unfair for 99% of the players who can't log on in the first few minutes. Or once a day, or once a week, or whatever?

How about more helicopters spread across the map with no loot. Loot will spawn at 1 of the helicopter (picked by random) after a random timer has expired. A random timer starts again and spawns loot again at a random helicopter. The helicopter changes positions every restart or every wednesday with maintenance.

By this way you have less hoppers because the choppers can be anywhere and they may even have no loot at all.

Edited by IMT