FlimFlamm

Aircraft: What kinds would you like to see? Share your opinion!

Select the kinds of aircraft you would like to see (multiple selections encouraged)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Select all the types of aircraft you want to see in DayZ

• Full blown military helicopters with mounted 50 cal or m134 door gunners
    • Full blown military planes with halo jumping capability and possibly a rear 50 cal
    • Civilian helicopters with doors which passengers can shoot their guns from, or drop grenades
    • Civilian planes, grenading capability?
    • Large civilian helicopters capable of carrying many passengers
    • Large civilian planes capable of carrying many passengers
    • Light civilian helicopters, limited passenger capacity (4-6)
    • Light civilian planes, limited passenger capacity (4-6)
    • Ultralight helicopters, passenger capacity (1-2)
    • Ulralight planes, pasenger capacity (1-2)
    • Constructable Ultralight aircraft, capacity (1-2)

As long as you can use a controller for flying purposes, I'm game for anything.

Perhaps a News helicopter and a small private jet, or biplane, fitting to be occurring around the outbreak, whatever. I wouldn't imagine they'd go all out with missile launching MH-60's, but who knows..

Civilian planes, sure. Nothing with guns. Altho Il2 sturmovik indeed was mass produced, it had everything from wing mounted MGs, tail gunner, rockets and cassettess... If that would not be OP i dunno what would it be. Same for choppers, i dont want to get rekt over and over by the server owner.

And generally on any server it was the Admin had the copter - of course.

Anyway - they will be in the game

Will probably be a LittleBird style copter, to start IMO, followed by something larger with a weapon option

Will be as complicated to repair and maintain as the trucks

they will belong to the Admins

This. Even now (0.55) i find it ridiculous to play on some private servers since only admin&his band of brothers know when the restart is going to happen.

They obviously make sure they hold all the key locations before doing it, so yeah, feels like you play for their leftovers. Pass.

Edited by halp

Where is the option for none ?

None would make sense if the game wishes to remain authentic. Random survivor magically knows how to pilot/maintain a plane/helicopter yea ... right.

• Like 2

Absolutely NONE ...

Where is the option for none ?

None would make sense if the game wishes to remain authentic. Random survivor magically knows how to pilot/maintain a plane/helicopter yea ... right.

Chalk me up for another NONE!!!

Don't turn this into another stupid admin abuse battlefield wannabe griefer tool.  I don't need to have my camp found and wrekt for lols twice a day by the jerk clan with their super soldier helicopter.

• Like 1

You forgot the "I would not prefer to see aircraft in DayZ" option. 

Battery powered quadcopter/drones? :D With camera attachment being possible (must find a camera and controller first though)
Also you should have to find the rotors, and other parts, then build it yourself. 

But, being more serious, there should be a civilian helicopter (no weapons attached) and a much more rare military version with some guns attached.

Edited by Julianwop

While that thread is probably going to overlap somewhat with this thread, the discussion that I am interested is slightly different.

-snip-

Eh, not so much.

Every point you're trying to make has been touched on in the link Boneboys posted.

I understand that around 30% of you want a "no" option but what would be the point? Given that three are going to be aircraft regardless of any polls, we might as well get around to discussing the types we want to see available rather than arguing that they should not be available at all. To all the people who want no aircraft whatsoever, my advice is to argue for the most minimalistic implementation of aircraft you can think of, much like what boneboys has done.

When it comes to bona fide aircraft like little birds or cessnas, I think that they should be rare and very difficult to repair/maintain. There should be no militarized aircraft (shooting a pkt/pkp out of a heli door should probably be the pinnacle) whatsoever.

The reason why larger substantial aircraft should be very rare is because of their utility. The convenience of transporting 6-8 players from the coast is not something that should be commonly experienced, but the experience needs to be available.

There should also be smaller ultralight aircraft with 1-2 person carrying capacity and severely limited (like in real life) maximum weight capacity. I think these should be incredibly difficult to get, but I also think that players should be able to construct ultralights themselves through adequate tool/part/resource requirements.

One of the main arguments against aircraft in general has been that they will be used to spot player camps. All I can say to this is that the game graphics mechanics are going to change slightly, and who knows what the final build will be like or whether or not camp visibility will be a problem.

I want a balance between availability and utility. I'm sort of against giant helicopters like an Mi-17 because they are too powerful. I want to have access to flight, but on my own the most I should be able to do is construct an ultralight for transportation.

If there were so few aircraft that experiencing them was a statistical anomaly, then team play would be less dynamic. Compare your experiences on the vanilla mod to your experiences on a mod like overpoch. On the original mod with regular vehicle rarity flying with friends was a once in a blue moon affair that seldom happened. Friends were few and far between on the vanilla mod. When people had access to vehicles larger groups formed because they were actually capable of getting together!

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

And seriously, in the rush for Mi-24PNs don't forget the need for other forms of transport :

The Amazing SURVIVAL Power

of Mountain Bicycle Infantry

1z1gql2.png

does anyone else think this dood looks like Grimey Rick ?

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

If anything imho they should be ultralight-type aircraft- hopefully with a somewhat authentic flight model that requires some degree of multi-tasking and skill to use. Please guys don't kid yourselves. a TON of the material taught in flight-schools deals with precision navigation traffic patterns and procedures designed around safely operating an aircraft in airspace where you are not alone in the skies (especially near an airport!)

There already exists a variety of build-at-home kits for 'ultra light' aircraft that the average joe can assemble and operate (albiet at their own risk.) will they be able to maintain a precision course in poor weather over hundreds of miles? of course not. infact even gusty winds can be very dangerous for them, but dont kid your self into thinking you some how need years or even months of formal education to operate something that is little more then an oversized lawnmower engine attached to a tube frame, 2 rotors, and a chair.

Larger aircraft with complex engines and instrumentation like the MI-8, even the huey for that matter, would be completely impractical in a survival /apocalypse scenario. i can see a hand full of clever individuals managing to get an ultralight working and using it as a scouting vehicle.

I understand that around 30% of you want a "no" option but what would be the point? Given that three are going to be aircraft regardless of any polls, we might as well get around to discussing the types we want to see available rather than arguing that they should not be available at all. To all the people who want no aircraft whatsoever, my advice is to argue for the most minimalistic implementation of aircraft you can think of, much like what boneboys has done.

The fact that they stated they were going to add aircraft does not change my opposition to aircraft being in this game. And I am not going to cop out of that and vote for something I don't want just because you make a deliberately skewed poll.

• Like 1

The fact that they stated they were going to add aircraft does not change my opposition to aircraft being in this game. And I am not going to cop out of that and vote for something I don't want just because you make a deliberately skewed poll.

then simply don't vote? the poll isn't 'Do you want aircraft' the poll is 'What would you prefer assuming were going to have one/some anyways'

• Like 1

As Grimey Rick  said : "This thread again?"

1) This is a truly horrid poll. No "control group", as in, you can't vote for "no/no aircraft". The only thing we can do is vote for your choices, which deliberately skews the results. I, for one, am not going to vote, and I am sure others as well. Lrn2statistics

2) As it has been said, in this thread and in others: having aircraft changes the scope of the game dramatically. Even a small aircraft changes the game from "hardcore survival game" to "Arma II/III Lite", when you are capable of screaming overhead an enemy base at 300 meters over the ground and 200 kph. With an ultralight, you can scout out enemy bases, hover overhead a town and call out enemy movement, etc. With an aircraft capable of carrying people, you essentially just became paratroopers/air assault soldiers. Not Survivors.

Really, the only groups capable of funding an aircraft of "effective" size (that is, a helicopter or a small plane), would be already bordering on city-state size, what with the need for surpluses of food, fuel (and oil and other fluids), manpower (not only the pilot, but the mechanics as well), science (need to know how weather patterns work, as well as avionics and mechanics), and time. Basically, the only people who would actually need a helicopter would be effectively regional powers. On a 50,100, even 200-person server? There wouldn't be anyone to compete. There goes the game.

Nearly all of that is basically beyond the scope and theme of the game.

3) You say that you want aircraft to be able to play with your friends? That they are necessary for larger groups to form? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. You do realize that the game, and the playerbase, doesn't really care about you playing with your friends? The Mod had a smaller map than the Standalone, and I can already run from corner to corner in 30 minutes. If you don't have 30 minutes to play the game with, not my problem. Find the time, make the time, don't ask for things to break the game with.

4) Aircraft (and ground vehicles, to much less of an extent) make travel trivial. As above, you can run across the map, corner to corner, in about 30 minutes. With V3S's, my clan did a "coastal patrol", as in, driving all the way from Kamenka to Svetlo. It took us 11 minutes,  and we got hung up on some stuff along the way. We were able to transport 15 guys, with gear, armament, and food, the-in-game-equivalent-of-~23km, in 11 minutes.

That isn't a survival game, that is Arma III.

5) Just because the devs stated there would be air vehicles doesn't mean I am not allowed to argue against them, or disagree with them in general. I disagree with the developers on a LOT of things. Namely, many aspects of survival, and this aircraft mechanic.

• Like 2

1) This is a truly horrid poll. No "control group", as in, you can't vote for "no/no aircraft". The only thing we can do is vote for your choices, which deliberately skews the results. I, for one, am not going to vote, and I am sure others as well. Lrn2statistics

2) As it has been said, in this thread and in others: having aircraft changes the scope of the game dramatically. Even a small aircraft changes the game from "hardcore survival game" to "Arma II/III Lite", when you are capable of screaming overhead an enemy base at 300 meters over the ground and 200 kph. With an ultralight, you can scout out enemy bases, hover overhead a town and call out enemy movement, etc. With an aircraft capable of carrying people, you essentially just became paratroopers/air assault soldiers. Not Survivors.

Really, the only groups capable of funding an aircraft of "effective" size (that is, a helicopter or a small plane), would be already bordering on city-state size, what with the need for surpluses of food, fuel (and oil and other fluids), manpower (not only the pilot, but the mechanics as well), science (need to know how weather patterns work, as well as avionics and mechanics), and time. Basically, the only people who would actually need a helicopter would be effectively regional powers. On a 50,100, even 200-person server? There wouldn't be anyone to compete. There goes the game.

Nearly all of that is basically beyond the scope and theme of the game.

3) You say that you want aircraft to be able to play with your friends? That they are necessary for larger groups to form? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. You do realize that the game, and the playerbase, doesn't really care about you playing with your friends? The Mod had a smaller map than the Standalone, and I can already run from corner to corner in 30 minutes. If you don't have 30 minutes to play the game with, not my problem. Find the time, make the time, don't ask for things to break the game with.

4) Aircraft (and ground vehicles, to much less of an extent) make travel trivial. As above, you can run across the map, corner to corner, in about 30 minutes. With V3S's, my clan did a "coastal patrol", as in, driving all the way from Kamenka to Svetlo. It took us 11 minutes,  and we got hung up on some stuff along the way. We were able to transport 15 guys, with gear, armament, and food, the-in-game-equivalent-of-~23km, in 11 minutes.

That isn't a survival game, that is Arma III.

5) Just because the devs stated there would be air vehicles doesn't mean I am not allowed to argue against them, or disagree with them in general. I disagree with the developers on a LOT of things. Namely, many aspects of survival, and this aircraft mechanic.

Altho I disagree, +1 for a well-thought counter argument :)

1.) Aircraft have already been confirmed. The topic of the poll is based on the idea that they WILL be in regardless, in which case what would be preferable/fit better.

-

2.) I don't think it has to scale to real life. If that was the case we should also be able to maintain our state with drastically less frequent consumption of food/drink even under heavy exertion. Many concessions are made to make the game better/more interesting since most people don't actually play for 24 hours. the same could be said about the amount of humans to a vehicle seeing as one server does not represent the entire surviving population of a country the size of chernarus. Larger clans squads are evectively the 'regional powers/militias' within a server

-

3.) I actually agree with you here. it's perfectaly viable to function without vehicles. even so- theres no doubt the effort and time required to find fix and maintain incentivizes group play which is a form of interaction which the game strives for. you are then rewarded with an immense advantage in travel time and the almighty eagle eye.

-

4.) Imho dayZ was better for borrowing from Arma. there were shortfalls for sure. fuel was to easy to come by, parts for that matter to easy to tote around the map on foot, etc. but the idea of realism even where it mean imbalance i actually prefer. Situational awareness and planning should be the cornerstones of success in dayZ always. getting hit in the chest cavity with high caliber rifle rounds without modern medical facilities should be almost a 100% death sentence even if not always instant. failing to see the other guy first and make your move on your terms should result in death.

-

5.) I agree with you again. I have even stopped playing in frustration for the time being, but continue to argue for what i feel will be a better game in the end. the Point of this topic and the poll however, was not our opinion on if they should be in to begin with, but if they are, how best to handle them and what types would be best.

Who said there's 100% going to be aircraft, anyway? I don't follow development like I used to.

Also, I'd say it's more than 30% of the population that don't want to see it. It's stupid, plain and simple.

"Oh shit, Ralph. Zombie Apocalypse. What do we do first?"

"Gather food. Secure a camp. Build defenses."

"Okay, good idea. After we have all of the basics, what should we focus on? Surviving in this harsh new world? Finding like-minded survivors and trying to establish some semblance of order? Perhaps just avoid others altogether, keeping to ourselves and waiting for the worst to pass?"

"No... We're going to find, repair, and fly around in a helicopter."

"Hey, that's a great ide- wait, what?! I don't know how to fly a helicopter! Do you?"

"Nope."

"Well how's that going to work?"

"We'll find like, a manual, or something."

"..."

• Like 3

Who said there's 100% going to be aircraft, anyway? I don't follow development like I used to.

Also, I'd say it's more than 30% of the population that don't want to see it. It's stupid, plain and simple.

It's been talked about and in the road-map forever. If the devs were going to change their mind on aircraft we would have heard so by now.

Regarding what percentage of players want aircraft and which percentage do not, it's actually quite close to 30%-70% divide. For example, the most popular option is the constructable ultralight option, and  19/27 people have selected this as an option (equivalent to almost 70% exactly). I'm pretty sure that you can select zero options and still submit a vote, this is what I reckon has happened.

All that statistic business aside, I think you are somewhat biased in your vision of what aircraft would be like. Here is my counter dialogue:

"So Ralph, we've been living in this zombie apocalypse for about a year. We have a hidden and fortified base stocked with weapons, ammo, food, traps everywhere, and several ground vehicles stashed out back. We have weapons and supply cashes around the map and we are starting to get bored of carjacking and sniping people as a pastime. What do?"

"Well Fred, there are three airports nearby, what if we could get some sort of plane up and running? It's not that difficult to fly a plane right?"

"Sure it's not too difficult if you know a little bit about planes, but the real problem is going to be getting the thing flight ready."

"Well that's fine with me Ralph, I have a full set of tools and there are a few machine shops we can power with generators if necessary. I've been doing mechanical work on all our ground vehicles, I think that it's possible I could do work on a plane if I could get the right materials"

"Is it really worthwhile Fred? Won't it be a huge hassle?"

"How much of a hassle is it to walk and drive around on the ground through hoards of zombies and marauding bandits just to get from place to place, or to transport some supplies we have located? We've been toiling on the dangerous ground for long enough. I want to feel freedom again, even if it will only last as long as one tank of fuel."

"I don't know Fred, I just don't see the use..."

"You don't see the use of being able to evacuate a survivor in need who is calling on the radio for help? You don't see the use of being able to transport supplies much more safely than driving them along the bandit and zombie infested ground? You don;t see the benefit of being able to collect members of our clan when they return to Chernarus from their travels?"

"No Fred, I just see it as a massive expense and a massive risk for us to take"

"Jesus H Zombie Christ Ralph! We've been living here for a year and the most amount of convenience we have been able to achieve is a lightly armored pickup truck. When are we going to evolve? I want to explore new lands. I want a safe method of escape. I want to start a family and expand our commune. Think about the long term. Do you really want to sit in your snipers nest and defend this place forever? When do we move on to bigger and better things?"

"I don't care what highfalutin wish wash you think you can accomplish, my rifle and my bicycle are it for me".

"Well that's all well and grand, but I should remind you that the east coast bandit company has been systematically razing all fortifications to the ground. They operate like a military unit and have the best of everything. The only possible way to escape them is in the air."

"They cannot kill what they cannot find, and an aircraft is probably only going to draw their attention and if we give them the idea then they might decide to get aircraft of their own and then where can we hide?"

"Where can we hide anyway? It's only a matter of time before people stumble across us. You shot three people on the eastern hill this morning. And you know very well this place is invisible from the air. Why else would we have concealed everything in buildings and under thick trees?"

"Fine then Fred, if you want to open up this giant can of birds then so be it, but you are not to bring your aircraft within 1km of this place for any reason."

"That's fine Ralph, me and the other clanmates who want more for our children have decided to construct a fortified base out in the open. We are done hiding, and what we have we are willing to protect. It's the only way to compete against the organized bandits."

"You think you can defeat the unending tide of evil scoundrels that will kill you, take your precious aircraft, and then devour your freshly butchered corpse?"

"No Ralph, maybe not. But we have to try... Because this isn't living, it's just waiting to die."

... Several months pass and Ralph see's the efficacy of aircraft in a zombie apocalypse ...

"Fred!, your aircraft has given me an idea... ORBITAL STRIKES!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! OUR ENEMIES WILL BURN FROM ABOVE LIKE ANTS FROM GOD'S OWN MAGNIFYING GLASS!!!!!!"

*Fred clicks the radio on

"Uhh guys? Where did we put the straight jacket? Ralph has just lost it again..."

"ANTS!!!!! MUAHAHAHHAHAHHAA !!! ANTS!!!!!!"

It's been talked about and in the road-map forever. If the devs were going to change their mind on aircraft we would have heard so by now.

Regarding what percentage of players want aircraft and which percentage do not, it's actually quite close to 30%-70% divide. For example, the most popular option is the constructable ultralight option, and 19/27 people have selected this as an option (equivalent to almost 70% exactly). I'm pretty sure that you can select zero options and still submit a vote, this is what I reckon has happened.

All that statistic business aside, I think you are somewhat biased in your vision of what aircraft would be like. Here is my counter dialogue:

"So Ralph, we've been living in this zombie apocalypse for about a year. We have a hidden and fortified base stocked with weapons, ammo, food, traps everywhere, and several ground vehicles stashed out back. We have weapons and supply cashes around the map and we are starting to get bored of carjacking and sniping people as a pastime. What do?"

"Well Fred, there are three airports nearby, what if we could get some sort of plane up and running? It's not that difficult to fly a plane right?"

"Sure it's not too difficult if you know a little bit about planes, but the real problem is going to be getting the thing flight ready."

"Well that's fine with me Ralph, I have a full set of tools and there are a few machine shops we can power with generators if necessary. I've been doing mechanical work on all our ground vehicles, I think that it's possible I could do work on a plane if I could get the right materials"

"Is it really worthwhile Fred? Won't it be a huge hassle?"

"How much of a hassle is it to walk and drive around on the ground through hoards of zombies and marauding bandits just to get from place to place, or to transport some supplies we have located? We've been toiling on the dangerous ground for long enough. I want to feel freedom again, even if it will only last as long as one tank of fuel."

"I don't know Fred, I just don't see the use..."

"You don't see the use of being able to evacuate a survivor in need who is calling on the radio for help? You don't see the use of being able to transport supplies much more safely than driving them along the bandit and zombie infested ground? You don;t see the benefit of being able to collect members of our clan when they return to Chernarus from their travels?"

"No Fred, I just see it as a massive expense and a massive risk for us to take"

"Jesus H Zombie Christ Ralph! We've been living here for a year and the most amount of convenience we have been able to achieve is a lightly armored pickup truck. When are we going to evolve? I want to explore new lands. I want a safe method of escape. I want to start a family and expand our commune. Think about the long term. Do you really want to sit in your snipers nest and defend this place forever? When do we move on to bigger and better things?"

"I don't care what highfalutin wish wash you think you can accomplish, my rifle and my bicycle are it for me".

"Well that's all well and grand, but I should remind you that the east coast bandit company has been systematically razing all fortifications to the ground. They operate like a military unit and have the best of everything. The only possible way to escape them is in the air."

"They cannot kill what they cannot find, and an aircraft is probably only going to draw their attention and if we give them the idea then they might decide to get aircraft of their own and then where can we hide?"

"Where can we hide anyway? It's only a matter of time before people stumble across us. You shot three people on the eastern hill this morning. And you know very well this place is invisible from the air. Why else would we have concealed everything in buildings and under thick trees?"

"Fine then Fred, if you want to open up this giant can of birds then so be it, but you are not to bring your aircraft within 1km of this place for any reason."

"That's fine Ralph, me and the other clanmates who want more for our children have decided to construct a fortified base out in the open. We are done hiding, and what we have we are willing to protect. It's the only way to compete against the organized bandits."

"You think you can defeat the unending tide of evil scoundrels that will kill you, take your precious aircraft, and then devour your freshly butchered corpse?"

"No Ralph, maybe not. But we have to try... Because this isn't living, it's just waiting to die."

... Several months pass and Ralph see's the efficacy of aircraft in a zombie apocalypse ...

"Fred!, your aircraft has given me an idea... ORBITAL STRIKES!!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!! OUR ENEMIES WILL BURN FROM ABOVE LIKE ANTS FROM GOD'S OWN MAGNIFYING GLASS!!!!!!"

*Fred clicks the radio on

"Uhh guys? Where did we put the straight jacket? Ralph has just lost it again..."

"ANTS!!!!! MUAHAHAHHAHAHHAA !!! ANTS!!!!!!"

TL;DR.

-snip-

19 out of the  27 people who actually bothered to vote selected, not 70% of the forum. Right now, you don't have the statistical density required to have a margin of error, much less make claims about what a proportion of the forum thinks is a good idea. Once again, lrn2statistics.

1) If your base is hidden, why is it fortified? Waste of time, energy and materials. 

2) If your base is fortified, it most definitely isn't hidden.

3) Not every group is going to have a fortified (-snort-), hidden (also -snort-) base filled with weapons, ammo, and a fleet of ground vehicles. In fact, I am willing to bet that 99% of the group is going to lack those things. A base, yes. Not oodles and oodles of supplies.

4) "It's not too difficult to fly a plane, nor to fix it if you have the materials". HAHAHA, oh man, you have no idea how complicated modern machinery is, right, nor the level of international/intercontinental logistics required to support said machinery. Where are you getting your fuel, your oil, your hydraulic fluid, your replacement avionics, your replacement wires, rubber, etc etc etc?

4) "When do you want to move on to bigger and better things".

Sure I do, whatever-your-name-is, but I want to bring back civilization first: trade agreements, trade routes, various industries, not commit highly elaborate suicide by attempting to fix up some plane in a po'dunk workshop and learning to fly it in my very-limited spare time.

5) Constructing a fortified base around an airstrip is not "the only way to compete with the organized bandits". In fact, said organized bandits would probably sit 2 kilometers off, bombing the shit out of your airstrip with improvised mortars (have fun taking off when your airstrip is full of holes!), and laying siege to your compound ( hint: when you are starving to death, and so sick you can barely stand, tell me how you will go fly that plane out of the bombed-out compound?)

B-s1_1zUcAAlvF_.jpg

No, the way to compete with the organized bandits is to organize harder. They bring in squads, you bring in platoons. They surround your compound, you summon your allies from another compound to take them in the flank. They bring in truckloads of ammo, you work on building up industries and trade routes so you can make all the ammo you need. Not "attempt to fix up a derelict aircraft and hope you can learn how to fly it".

How back would your clan feel if you fixed up a plane, filled it with supplies, and tried to take off for an allied compound, only to misjudge the take-off, clip the tarmac with a wing, and scatter burning fuel across half your base?

Or, how would said allied compound feel if you led an enemy clan directly to their base? Airplanes are not that difficult to track, especially if they are small craft (AKA stay relatively close to the ground), and require special places to land, be services, and take off. 

-sees an airplane flying low, to the west. Hmm (pulls out map and radio)-

-well boys, we got a plane loaded with cargo, 2 trucks to the NWAF, 1 truck travel west along the Northern Highway, and 1 truck head down to Zeleno. Keep in radio contact the whole time, and we will figure out where this bastard is going-

Edited by Whyherro123

1. I think not selecting any options is already possible for you, and your abstinence will be recorded by the total of how many members casted votes. If someone could confirm this for me, that would be wonderful.

That said, if aircraft are going to be in regardless of any polls or argument against them, then you should voice an opinion about them for your own benefit. If your exact vision of DayZ won't become a reality (probably none of our "visions" will) that doesn't mean you cannot try and positively influence what will it will become. If you are very against aircraft based on the idea that they are overpowered then you should be submitting an opinions like "aircraft should be super rare" or "aircraft should be nearly impossible to maintain and operate", or even "there should only be one heli per server", like some have done. I am actually quite good at statistics. If I gave you an actual "No" option then you wouldn't bother giving the opinion this thread is specifically designed to elicit, which is if aircraft, then what kind and how, rather than simply: Aircraft? Really had I allowed an option that doesn't answer the question the thread poses I would be screwing up my data gathering approach.

2. If somebody can spot enemies on the ground from an ultralight (unconcealed enemies) and provide a real tactical advantage then they are putting themselves at risk, because they too can be spotted, and shot down.

You talk about the actual difficulty of getting off the ground as if it is a godly feat. An actual city-state would be able to basically do many of the things that modern civilization does simply because we now know how, and our technology and information is well preserved. All we need is one library. The main issue to actually doing maintenance on an aircraft, or building one, is simply know-how, not material scarcity. A small group of individuals with the right knowledge could get it done. Since servers actually have communities much larger than 200 and since it is much easier than you think to achieve basic flight, there would be plenty of competition.

I think that access to flight alters the game as well, dramatically, and for the better. Without altering or removing any ground mechanics it opens up an entire new frontier and end game that is interesting, challenging, and enjoyable. Terra firma lovers will need to adapt to threats possibly coming from the sky, but so what? Seems more challenging and exhilarating to me. Being attacked from the air is terrifying and awesome.

3. I find it really curious that you can run from end to end in 30 minutes... Is this when you are fully stocked with water and maxed out on calories? Do you have to stop to forage? Are you including all the hassle and inbetween?

When stamina hits the map is going to grow, relativistically speaking. Traveling will take more time and zombies will pose much more of a threat.

A pox on your 30 minute fairy tale!

It's not necessary for large groups to form that we have aircraft, it is just highly conducive to them. Getting everyone together at the same time can prove quite a task. People die and need rides, there are only so many ground vehicles available, they break down, so people tend to not bother and go their separate ways. Groups who are masters of aircraft gain the convenience of being able to get everyone together in an amount of time that is reasonable.

4. V3S's are going to be much more rare than they are now, and driving along the coast in a v3s with all that gear for god knows what reasons must have meant you guys were done surviving and just doing stuff for shits and giggles. Is there really that much of a difference between driving around for fun and flying around for fun (or with purpose?). In my vision of DayZ, only fools or bandits would drive a gear laden V3S down the coast

If it only takes me 5 minutes or less to fly from map end to map end, that's fine with me. I like how I don't need to spend a fully realistic amount of time running from town to town, there is only so much time I want to spend traveling when I am determined to get from point A to point B.

5. It may well be that you disagree but if I was a betting man, I would bet against the devs changing their mind on aircraft. I understand you have some valid arguments but I implore you to make some DayZ lemonade!

19 out of the  27 people who actually bothered to vote selected, not 70% of the forum. Right now, you don't have the statistical density required to have a margin of error, much less make claims about what a proportion of the forum thinks is a good idea. Once again, lrn2statistics.

1) If your base is hidden, why is it fortified? Waste of time, energy and materials. 

2) If your base is fortified, it most definitely isn't hidden.

3) Not every group is going to have a fortified (-snort-), hidden (also -snort-) base filled with weapons, ammo, and a fleet of ground vehicles. In fact, I am willing to bet that 99% of the group is going to lack those things. A base, yes. Not oodles and oodles of supplies.

4) "It's not too difficult to fly a plane, nor to fix it if you have the materials". HAHAHA, oh man, you have no idea how complicated modern machinery is, right, nor the level of international/intercontinental logistics required to support said machinery. Where are you getting your fuel, your oil, your hydraulic fluid, your replacement avionics, your replacement wires, rubber, etc etc etc?

4) "When do you want to move on to bigger and better things".

Sure I do, whatever-your-name-is, but I want to bring back civilization first: trade agreements, trade routes, various industries, not commit highly elaborate suicide by attempting to fix up some plane in a po'dunk workshop and learning to fly it in my very-limited spare time.

5) Constructing a fortified base around an airstrip is not "the only way to compete with the organized bandits". In fact, said organized bandits would probably sit 2 kilometers off, bombing the shit out of your airstrip with improvised mortars (have fun taking off when your airstrip is full of holes!), and laying siege to your compound ( hint: when you are starving to death, and so sick you can barely stand, tell me how you will go fly that plane out of the bombed-out compound)

My main statistical analysis comes from the "Does dayz need aerial vehicles thread" which has ample sample size. If you're interested in learning about statistics, here is a statistical analysis post I made on this exact subject. If you want to make me feel like I'm bad at maths or statistics, then criticize that post why don't ya?: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/222236-does-dayz-need-aeiral-transport/page-9#entry2250687

1. Because no matter how well your abse is hdden someone will find it, in which case you need a second line of defense?

"WHAT ? MORE THAN ONE LINE OF DEFENSE? RIDICULOUS!"

2. Why cannot I board up and lock some doors in the interior of a building or something? Why can I not place hidden traps?

3. Players will accumulate resources regardless of how difficult the game is. We will beat it and exploit what we are given. All bases end, and no matter how difficult erecting them might be, we still always find a way to do it gloriously. Play Dwarf Fortress why don't ya? Not everyone will have excess, I understand this, but some people will... And what do they do once they get excesses? Sit on top of it like some most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm?

Snort.

4. Good luck accomplishing anything with all the zombies. Trade routes? Fat chance. Wait 20 eyars until all the zombies are gone, until then we need mobility.

5. I don't live on an airstrip. I have an Autogyro hidden behind some bushes on the rear hill. As soon As i heard a mortar explode I grabbed what my Gyro could carry and I abandoned by camp by taking off down the hill and flying low around the trees.

OR

As soon as the mortars started landing on our hill, we all grabbed our guns, radio'd for assistance and are engaged in open warfare. We aren't running anywhere.

wpid-article-1276205584551-09fa0b5200000

Dude, you can't omit the "none" option in the poll. But whatevs, I'll play along.

The only aircraft I'd like to see in DayZ are the helicopters that are wrecked on the ground.

I don't want to see the flying variety included in DayZ. At all. Your not gonna see any planes in the air a couple of weeks after an apocalyptic event. If you do, they're military, and we definitely don't need aircraft with gatling guns strapped to them.

Vehicles? Sure. Bring on the diesel engine! One of the easiest to maintain and lasting engines in the last 100 years. Tires are easy to find, wheel bearings, glow plugs, diesel itself -- totally a possibility that diesel cars and trucks would be kicking around years after an event.

But parts for helicopters? Airplanes? Really? And even if you had an operational airplane, why the ish would you fly it around a land infested with creatures that are attracted to loud sounds? Let alone all of the other survivors with bad intentions.

I don't even mean offense, but it's a retarded idea. If development gotta ahead with anything besides the absolute most basic helicopter on the planet, then I'll lose all faith in their original goal of creating a "realistic/authentic" post-apocalyptic survival game. If you want the mod with better graphics, I'd like to say this isn't the game for you. But it seems that's all people want lately.

EDIT: google keyboard ftw. not even fixing my typos. #badassoverhere

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

I think it would be retarded not to have at least ultralights available. I'm just as skeptical about the realism/authenticity of helicopters has you are but flight in today's world is too common place not to simulate.

There is a sacrifice to realism I will concede this. Not everyone is a pilot or understands flight mechanics, they are rare, but there should be enough material, information, and resources available that somewhere it will happen, so why not in Chernarus?

Ken Wallis, the old man, (RIP), in the photo a few posts above built, designed and flew auto-gyros for almost his entire life. give him some aluminum, a drill, and a diesel engine even, and he could make a surprisingly safe to fly autogyro.

In a zombie apocalypse, I would half expect his reanimated corpse to build and fly a gyro in order to get to his human supper in comfort and style; that's how capable he was.

Players are incredibly worried about their camps being spotted, but this will happen anyway, and the devs can address the rendering issues which have made it cheap in the past. Bases built in the open should be prepared to have defenses. Bases made to be invisible need not be affected by flight.

Regardless of whether or not flight is available, it can always be balanced via rarity, maintenance difficulty, flight difficulty, and vulnerability. Flying low and everywhere base hunting is a great way to get shot down; there goes a week of solid effort on nothing more than a gamble.

Flight is not necessarily destructive whatsoever to any matter of survival simulation or gameplay, there are simply a few hits to your ability to believe that a 15 year old knows how to install an engine on an aircraft (or a V3s for that matter). The amount of fun and potential that aircraft bring make the slight hit to realism an honor to endure. For me at least