Sign in to follow this  
don1107

Best all around gun?

Looking for a versatile mid range(sniping) gun perfeerable with a scope if needed, or no scope, and decent close range also. i see the 101, and the m74. was wondering if there wasw a 500-600m range fairly accurate gun. Mosin isnt an option.  Also what guns can use the bipod?

AK101 or AKM with the pso1 scope is what you're looking for.  Next update will bring in the SVD but you'll have better luck finding the AK family.

AKM, I think you can use a bipod with a rail handguard. I haven't had it myself(I don't really visit military areas) but it's so popular now that half of the pvp players have it.

AK101 or AKM with the pso1 scope is what you're looking for.  Next update will bring in the SVD but you'll have better luck finding the AK family.

now the 101 uses 5.56 and ak 7.62  does that mean ak has better stopping power?  and are both full auto?

now the 101 uses 5.56 and ak 7.62  does that mean ak has better stopping power?  and are both full auto?

It means it should have more stopping power but in game I'm not sure.  There are other posters on this forum that can answer that question better than me.  Yes they are both full auto.

AK101 with iron sites... right outta the box. I like to get close and hug i don't need a scope in my way , Plus it's awful when your hair gets tangled in it when you carry it on your shoulder.

• Like 2

We've been around this particular circle more than once. I think the conclusion, based on some relatively objective game stats, was that the M4 was best (and, yes, obviously, I am an M4 fetishist).

Why? Because it's the most modular gun in the game. Put a CQB stock and a BUIS on it in town and it's like an SMG. Put a MagPul stock, a rail, bipod and an ACOG on it for open country and it works pretty well as a sniper out to about 400m. I'm so bored in game right now that I've tested this quite exhaustively.

Now, in fairness, the AKs are also pretty modular, the PSO has better magnification than the ACOG, and the AKM's 7.62x39 round has better stopping power. But the two red dot sights available for the M4 are just great all-rounders - and the AKs currently lack them.

Also, in fairness, in .57 the M4 may not well exist at all (just as it didn't exist for one or two patches around 0.46).

Other than that, don't discount the SKS as a good all-rounder.

• Like 1

Hello there

Im not a guy for stats and "DoT" values etc.

I say, get the best gun that has the best effects for the way you play.

Dont be a sheep use something unique!

Or in my case just use what you can find.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

SKS. Easy to find and needs no mags or attachments. Just the ammo is kind of hard to find outside military zones.

Repeater/ Revolver combo: uses the same ammunition, so no worries about logistics. .357 is a known killer. Requires no magazines. Iron sites on both weapons are effective. Best yet: you don't have to go to military locations to find ammo!

Most combat in Day Z takes place around 50 meters or less, which the Magnum is good at. Unless you are the "designated sniper" for a group, you have no need to be shooting beyond 200-300 meters, which the Repeater can handle quite nicely.

For the average survivor, the Repeater/Revolver is all the gun they need. Equally adept at killing players, zombies, and animals.

• Like 1

on 0.57 : SVD and VSS, both one shot killers in center mass, semi auto 10 rounds mag. they are obviously very hard to find. 

on full auto side, AK familly is quite good, they all take the kashtan scope and PSO-1 and 1-1 in 0.57 (all but the AK74u), making them effective at 500m. AKM with PSO and drum mag is a beast in every scenario !

M4 is good, but only when it's fully kitted AND for electro/berezino mayhem style fights only. you need magpull parts, at least the stock to be effective at range, red dots are great on 0-400m, ACOG a little further, CQB is amazing in short distances. but lets face it, chances to kite your m4 on 0.57 are very thin. 12 gauge weapons pretty much assassinate an m4 at short distances and weapons using .308 destroy m4 by their stopping power at medium and long range.

i really like the blaze 95 on 0.57 : very accurate, can take the hunter scope (basically the new LRS), you can fire quickly two shots, each of them capable of dropping a player instantly, sights are amazing...

my go to combo on 0.57 : winchester/blaze 95 + sawed-off/FNX .45

Any gun with ammo and i can get my hands on lol not always a choice when surviving.

The AK family is easier to clean and needs less maintenance than the M4. The AK family uses a gas piston system instead if the braindead gas impingement system the M4 uses that causes overheating, failures and gets dirty. And oil! you needs LOTS of oil for the M4. ;-)

I strongly recommend the AKM. Pair that with the SKS and you will be fine.

Also get used to using iron sites, all the other gimmicky stuff breaks and then you are sol.

Edit: added the wink to show I was semi kidding.

Edited by pcs305

If rarity/supply is a thing for you and you happen to play on 0.57 the Winchester 70 might be a good choice:

• relatively easy to find
  • relatively quick to handle (~SMG level)
  • does not need a magazine
  • ammo is easy to find and allows for 40 bullet stacks (the latter might change as it is actually a high caliber round)
  • very accurate
  • high damage
  • can mount a hunting scope
  • fits on that magic back slot

It does not come without downsides though: it's loud, has a slow rate of fire and only holds 5 rounds.

If you do not care about rarity the M4A1 with Magpul handguard, ACOG optics and CQB stock is the most versatile but it might require more than one shot to kill.

Bipods fit onto assault rifles if you get the rail handguard. They will increase your effective range by ~120 meters but hamper close quarters combat by reducing your turn rate. And according to the gamefiles the AK family does indeed allow for more shots without maintenance (AKM ~1000 shots, M4A1 ~800 shots, AK101 ~850 shots).

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1