NotRedd

First person emptiness?

I usually play first person because the gameplay is a lot better because nobody can exploit the 3rd person shit with it. In anycase, the highest first person server I can come across is maybe 5/40 people at a time. This is really annoying to me because I want to run into people. The only people who you actually run into are in the obvious military spots and that is no fun at all.

Anyway, it makes me want to go back to third person and I really really don't want to do that due to no loot due to server hopping and just no fun at all with combat. Rant.Rant.Rant. What perspective do you guys play on and why? 

INB4 people say 3rd cause they wanna see their character. Let's be real here, nobody is falling for it. You can see your character in the tab screen.

• Like 2

INB4 people say 3rd cause they wanna see their character. Let's be real here, nobody is falling for it. You can see your character in the tab screen.

... I like seeing my character. its one of the reasons i like to play any 3rd person game.

• Like 2

If I get bored while playing DayZ, which is often ...

"I have not found a thing."

... (and that applies to both players and apples) ...

... I either find an activity that doesn't require player interaction or, as is more often the case, go play some ARMA 3 instead. Not here for apple lottery on servers with less than 10 people, bye. I played third person in the mod but it's ruined for me now.

I mean, I kinda enjoy gearing up and the occasional player is nice. I mean I seriously doubt I'd find a vss, svd or any of the new toys on a 3rd person server.

That being said, I'd also like to use those toys on players. 

Many of the people who really enjoy 1PP servers are busy with experimental right now. I suspect that as optimization and FPS increases, more players will enjoy the unique experience that is 1PP only. The biggest reason, besides the inability to use the 3PP camera exploits, that people avoid the 1PP servers is that low or inconsistent FPS is much harder to deal with from that perspective. 

• Like 5

From what I have seen some 1pp private servers are even full somedays, just publics are empty.

• Like 1

i love first person, but i feel me like a dwarf so i hope the camera hight will be a bit higher in the future.

Also this horrible breathing is killing my love for first person.

If Beta will fix these things i will only play first person

i love first person, but i feel me like a dwarf so i hope the camera hight will be a bit higher in the future.

The breathing isn't that bad. In fact I don't even notice it at all and I travel a lot. That being said, I usually am chatting to friends when I travel. With the radio next patch coming in I'll be listening to that on my fucking triathlon. 

I play on the DayZ Underground server sometimes....1PP only.  Give that a try if you cant get on any others.

Agree on the height in 1PP though...you run up to certain windows and you cant see inside....must mean you are about 4' 6" or something.

• Like 6

I play on the DayZ Underground server sometimes....1PP only.  Give that a try if you cant get on any others.

Agree on the height in 1PP though...you run up to certain windows and you cant see inside....must mean you are about 4' 6" or something.

It's because the game was designed in/for third person whether people like it or not.

All servers are super empty any more though regardless.

It's because the game was designed in/for third person whether people like it or not.

All servers are super empty any more though regardless.

Nah, it's because [a] most of the building designs are from ARMA 2 where they were just big solid boxes and the height of windowsills and such didn't matter and have not been changed at all and for whatever reasons the building modelers didn't quite get the dimensions correct for the particular camera height, which is in your character's head, who stands 1.8 m.

• Like 3

1st person camera height already got adjusted with .55 hitting, iirc. You now look with your eyes instead of your throat.

Hopefully the new 3rd person camera makes it's way fast in the upcoming builds. My biggest hope is that the new 3rd camera does minimalize any penalties compared with 1st person and we can all play the same servers.

Regarding Gews thoughts, maybe dimensions of buildings and interior will get some love further down the road.

• Like 1

Nah, it's because [a] most of the building designs are from ARMA 2 where they were just big solid boxes and the height of windowsills and such didn't matter and have not been changed at all and for whatever reasons the building modelers didn't quite get the dimensions correct for the particular camera height, which is in your character's head, who stands 1.8 m.

Because in all likelihood they test them in third person.  When ever they've ever shown us testing footage of anything, it's always in third person.  Third person is the default view of arma, whether it's a conscious decision or not.

Edited by Bororm

It's been a while since the last update, and the last update didn't bring much, so most of the players on stable(like me) quit for now, because 0.55 is no fun at all.

I play in 2PP :)

I like 3rd person better ill dabble in the fps once in awhile if i just want to pvp but i like my 3rd person. Not really exploiting neither i just look at it as peeking over a wall like i would irl they should add that as an option lol.

• Like 1

I play on first person servers because I enjoy immersion and hate the gameplay that comes with peeking. If perspective was really only a matter of preference I would probably play on first/third person servers though.

I usually play first person because the gameplay is a lot better because nobody can exploit the 3rd person shit with it. In anycase, the highest first person server I can come across is maybe 5/40 people at a time. This is really annoying to me because I want to run into people. The only people who you actually run into are in the obvious military spots and that is no fun at all.

Anyway, it makes me want to go back to third person and I really really don't want to do that due to no loot due to server hopping and just no fun at all with combat. Rant.Rant.Rant. What perspective do you guys play on and why? 

Lol exploit

Because playing a VIDEO GAME with settings that can be adjusted for a reason or in third person the way it was DESIGNED AS A THIRD/FIRST person game is now exploiting.

Well, you wanted to play 1st person to be better than the rest of us exporters so, I don't feel bad for you at all. You made your bed sleep in it.

• Like 2

not fan of the peeking in 3PP server too, you can find 50/50 servers in 1PP but mainly in private shards (nobody likes hopping either). sadly they have been deserted recently because the CLE is not good enought for the moment.

no way you can find a VSS or UMP on either 3PP exp or 1PP exp, almost all crashes spawn at the NWAF and everything has bee taken away ages ago. SVD can still be found on humvee wreck with luck, i currently have one. but no way i can find a mag for it... 1PP private servers will fill up again when CLE is improved.

• Like 1

1pp vacated servers are quite sad indeed as I really like 1pp play and dislike, let's call them oddities, of the 3pp camera most notoriously looking over walls. I'd be perfectly happy with an improved 3pp POV that makes such oddities less of an issue or eliminates them entirely and a reunion of the playerbase.

• Like 3

I regularly play both 3PP and 1PP and I like them both for different reasons, though I think they both have pros and cons.  

Even though on 3PP you have an 8 foot peeking periscope to view the world through, everyone else on your server is playing under the same ruleset. Players are fully aware that others can see you from an advantageous perspective, just as you can see them.   For that reason I don't see 3PP as an exploit or an 'unfair' advantage.

Also, I don't think that when people say "I like to look at my character" that they necessarily mean "I like to narcissistically admire myself in all of my cool gear!".  As for myself, I do like to see my character in relation to his immediate environment, ie: "Where am I exactly in relation to this car, tree or zed?" 

1PP feels more immersive and real in most ways but my character feels like he's 3 feet tall, or that his eyeballs are in his belly button.  My biggest gripe is that when running through an open field I can barely see over the grass, even though the grass is only 2 feet tall. The head bob doesn't bother me but I do frequently adjust my FOV slider in 1PP, where in 3PP I don't touch it at all. 

IMO, limiting the 3PP view as is sometimes suggested would just unnecessarily drive satisfied players away, but if they adjusted the 1PP perspective from belly-button-window to something realistically taller I believe that many 3PP players would switch over permanently.  Just my 2c.

• Like 1

most of the private shards are already waiting for the global wipe, that's why you see so little people.

At least it seems to be the case on servers where i play on.

Edited by halp

My biggest gripe is that when running through an open field I can barely see over the grass, even though the grass is only 2 feet tall

Either that's a gross exaggeration or your game is truly messed up.

I prefer 1pp but I usually have to play 3pp because most of the playerbase relies on a crutch- ah - I mean they like to see their characters, plus, as we all know, 3pp camera increases the FoV to realistic levels. Always annoys me how in 1pp I can't see the back of my head like I can in real life.

I look forward to the 3pp camera change, partly because it might make playing on 3pp servers less about staring at the base of a wall, but also because the shitstorm that will come with it will be hilarious. "omg y u change da camera? dayz is shit now," "changing the camera caused me to projectile vomit all over my screen. please change it back so i am no longer terribly disoriented."

Don't get me wrong. I like seeing my character frolicking through the grass like some sort of badass, but it isn't worth it when compared to how dull it makes the game. Peeking over fences adds so much tension to the game. I love lying on a roof with a sniper, waiting for some sap to come along so I can crouch, fire and then lie down again. Such riveting gameplay. Wow.

• Like 11

Lol exploit

Because playing a VIDEO GAME with settings that can be adjusted for a reason or in third person the way it was DESIGNED AS A THIRD/FIRST person game is now exploiting.

Yeah exploit. It's a design flaw shared by many games featuring third person view that does give people who are using the third person camera an unfair advanatge they should not have. It does not help that it warps gameplay away from an immersive, authentic and enjoyable way to "who exploits the asymmetrical vision the most".

Sure the game is designed as a first/third person game but in reality enabling third person makes it a third person game as it just gives you more information. It is not a matter of preference anymore - to make it a true first/third person game you should not get that information regardless of your chosen perspective. In fact the sole reason why there are first person servers is them serving as a refuge for people who really care about gameplay that doesn't revolve around a periscope game. Fix the third person view and there is no reason to split the playerbase anymore.

• Like 1

Thats funny because I feel like a giant in this game, interiors are all out of proportion!