Sign in to follow this  
HexPlox

DayZ Mod or Standalone?

I've searched alot on the internet and haven't found a straight answer, so what's better, DayZ Mod or Standalone?

The mod is as the name suggests, a mod for Arma II/III, and it varies from mod to mod. People might add updates from time to time, but this is primarily done by individuals rather than the paid development team that the standalone has.

The Standalone is as the name suggests, a game in itself, in early alpha and a work in progress, with regular updates and additions as it progresses towards release. I recommend the Standalone for the simple reason it's already quite fun to play as it is in early access, and you're investing in a game that mostly gets better with each update. You won't have to buy it again when it's finished, and most likely the cost will be higher on final release, so you're saving a few pennies. Even if you play the standalone and don't enjoy it first time around, you can keep checking back as it approaches release (over a year away) to check for changes and improvements.

• Like 5

SA is in alpha, which means a lot of stuff is constantly broken and fixed every patch. If you haven't played the mod yet, don't touch standalone. Standalone doesn't have nearly as much depth that the mod has (it's kind of getting there, but it is still a very long ways away). There is a reason DayZ is famous, and that is because of the mod.

Edited by InsaneRuffles

The Mod used to be good. Now it's mostly just Arma with zombies.

Go for the Standalone.

The Mod used to be good. Now it's mostly just Arma with zombies.

Care to explain how it changed to being that?

Care to explain how it changed to being that?

Not really.

• Like 2

Not really.

Very helpful for the discussion, then. Thank you for contributing.

• Like 4

Played both, would recommend the standalone.

For the sake of hexplox, he's probably referring to all the mod variants becoming increasingly open as far getting your hands on items (vehicles and guns). The vanilla mod was restricted in this way to make the feeling of finding something more important.

I would actually recommend getting a Arma game 2 or 3 or both, and finding what you like.

arma sale, buy arma 2,3, and just buy dayz SA anytime as its cheap

then you can tell us which is better

i cant fathom the gfx from the mod, my eyes would bleed prob

Edited by deebz1234

At this time I'd say SA is now far enough along that it's just as fun as the mod. Yes some of the mods have way more guns and vehicles and also base building, but SA has come pretty far since the early days and there's tons more to do and explore than there used to be. Also it looks 100 times better.

Edited by escobert

ya man its all about the gfx now too, i hadnt played in easily 2-3 months. popped it on over the weekend and was like wooooooo smooth frames and very nice lighting. something must have been updated since last i played...its looking really AAA these days.

Very helpful for the discussion, then. Thank you for contributing.

I shouldn't have to explain it to someone such as yourself just for the sake of an argument. You should know better.

DayZ Mod is strictly a PvP-fest. While the Standalone currently has excessive amounts of PvP, it also encourages survival. Very, very, VERY few Mod servers run vanilla DayZ, and even fewer make surviving difficult (besides other players).

The OP didn't specify what kind of game he is looking for, so I gave my opinion. Imagine that, someone giving their opinion based on experience on a forum on the internet.

Cray.

• Like 1

For the sake of hexplox, he's probably referring to all the mod variants becoming increasingly open as far getting your hands on items (vehicles and guns). The vanilla mod was restricted in this way to make the feeling of finding something more important.

I would actually recommend getting a Arma game 2 or 3 or both, and finding what you like.

I looked at them both on steam, the comments on the Standalone were all negative. While the mod was so recommended.

I looked at them both on steam, the comments on the Standalone were all negative. While the mod was so recommended.

You should not let yourself be influenced by that.

If I were to recommend anything it would be the Standalone and perhaps ArmA III for possible modifications now and in the future.

I love dayz mod a lot. I allways go back to it between SA updates. Try Origins mod, it has lots of extra features. Also, zombies are scary as hell (dark, glowing eyes).

As of right now, personally I think that the mod is a more polished product. The standalone however has much more potential due to the freedom that the developers now have and the inherant limitations of a mod.

• Like 1

It's tough to say, but if you haven't played before, I'd go with the mod. Gets you used to the concept of DayZ, allows you to learn the map and experience something a little less buggy and frustrating than the SA in its current form. 

I'd recommend sticking to Vanilla DayZ servers or DayZero version of the mod (if they still have their servers up). Avoid things like Epoch, Origins and custom maps as they're not great (Namlask without the blood suckers could be considered good).

• Like 1

I love dayz mod a lot. I allways go back to it between SA updates. Try Origins mod, it has lots of extra features. Also, zombies are scary as hell (dark, glowing eyes).

I'm pretty sure origins has been dead for over 6 months now hasn't it ? I tried playin about 6 months ago (and again about 4 months ago) but there were no servers on dayz commander , I couldn't find any in the server browser for arma 2 either ....

Origins was by far my second favorite mod (my first was dayz aftermath) , origins shad it all : less vehicles (they were harder to obtain and didn't feel like all those joke mods with 1,00,000 vehicle high loot server crap), new good lookin map, creepy looking zombies with chopped off arms and axes in their heads , base building (even though it was one of the most unintuitive base building systems , very clunky and not free based at all) still had aerial vehicles but they were a huge reward to get into the sky, there was also a gigantic fortress that actually could fly , it took many many hours to get it to work and find all the parts but it was amazing , Flying with your clan in a huge spaceship was so awesome ... Also there were vehicles that you could "make" so to speak , the frames of certain customized vehicles were all around, so you just needed to collect certain parts to make it work, there was this one called the Zilla or Goliath or something that was a gigantic boat with wheels on it so you traverse sea and land .

In nostalgia of the pvp and helicopters of this game , I remember playing with my cousin , we had just PVPed some stupid fools who tried to run up on our grocery store (that was OUR grocery store) so I promptly filled them with a heaping helping of makarov bullets ... After killing them we heard a helicopter land near our grocery store of base operations , so we run outside wait for the bloke to jump out his heli in search of food , the guy was so excited he forgot to take his engine out (only takes a second and lone wolves usually did this to prevent theft) .. So naturally me and my cousin were good people and helped him out , my cousin distracted him while I robbed his engine ... He tried getting it back but all in all daddy didn't really know how to fly all that well back then so in reattach the engine while the guy chases my cuz , after my cousin hops in the side we fly gloriously into the grocery store that was once our salvation . the guy who's helicopter it was we stole , was disappointedly watching us fatefully careen his beloved chopper he had worked so hard at obtaining , Into the brick and cement walls of OUR store , the only grocery store that ever mattered ...

Hey if any of you guys find an origins server let me know , id play on it all day when I'm not playing standalone ! I talk a lot of crap about how shitty all the mods were but this one (along with dayz aftermath) was probably the only good dayz mod out there simply because they made it more about survival and less about Pvp .

Edit : for anyone wondering , origins isn't dead but it is apparently in a rough spot , not many people play it anymore because something happened with the developers and their licenses or something ... Long story short you can't find any of their "official" lfs servers through dayz commander anymore they have their own launcher and server browser now ! Download it through their Facebook (easy google find so I won't link it) . For those of you that played dayz origins, give this a try while we wait for .56 experimental ! I'm reinstalling arma 2 and it feels .... Weird , lol .

Edited by Grapefruit kush

I'm pretty sure origins has been dead for over 6 months now hasn't it ? I tried playin about 6 months ago (and again about 4 months ago) but there were no servers on dayz commander , I couldn't find any in the server browser for arma 2 either ....

Origins mod has it own launcher now. Its not dead yet, but there arent much more players than in vanilla mod, 400-something players last night when I was on. They have new patch in preparation, with amazing locations like submarine pen, big dam and big bridge. Taviana 3,2 (modified for Origins) has beatifull locations, especialy new islands that can compare even with SA map.

If someone can make Origins mod for standalone he deserves Oscar for moding.

Origins mod has it own launcher now. Its not dead yet, but there arent much more players than in vanilla mod, 400-something players last night when I was on. They have new patch in preparation, with amazing locations like submarine pen, big dam and big bridge. Taviana 3,2 (modified for Origins) has beatifull locations, especialy new islands that can compare even with SA map.

If someone can make Origins mod for standalone he deserves Oscar for moding.

Well thanks for reminding me mate , besides dayz aftermath, dayz origins was the only Mod to give me that survival feeling that standalone brings to me .

Well thanks for reminding me mate , besides dayz aftermath, dayz origins was the only Mod to give me that survival feeling that standalone brings to me .

I never got chance to play aftermath before it was watered down with 1.8. dayzmod patch. If someone could combine features from Origins, Aftermath and vanilla dayz 1.8.5. I think that mod would be even with SA or even better than SA (until 1.0). Crafting, base building, those awesome looking upgradable vehicles, atachments for weapons in 1.8.5, awesome looking zombies - all that combined....  

Edited by igor-vk
  • Like 1

I never got chance to play aftermath before it was watered down with 1.8. dayzmod patch. If someone could combine features from Origins, Aftermath and vanilla dayz 1.8.5. I think that mod would be even with SA or even better than SA (until 1.0). Crafting, base building, those awesome looking upgradable vehicles, atachments for weapons in 1.8.5, awesome looking zombies - all that combined....  

I'm not one to get nostalgic for the fuck of it, but i also agree with you. Origins, aftermath (before Aftermath 0.9.0.7 patch) and vanilla mod had some great survival aspects blended quite well with pvp aspects, which is why its easy to get nostalgic for these mods... But i see dayz SA slowly becoming better than what these games were and i cant wait to see how it all turns out but in the meantime i want to catch up with origins because it looks like they are still on the right track and not conforming to the "pvp is everything " mindset most mod devs have like epoch, overwatch, and others.