UKA Harrysoon

Nvidia Users: Potential FPS Increase

Edit: The latest version of Geforce Experience resolves the excess  CPU usage from the Streamer Service.

Came across this post on Reddit detailing how Nvidia Graphics Card users can squeeze a bit more FPS out potentially by disabling a background service, which in turn reduces CPU usage.

Instructions can be found here; http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/344z7f/nvidia_usersraise_your_fps_and_save_cpu_usage_by/

Just disables a background service that Nvidia users for its SHIELD tablet to stream games to and for Nvidia ShadowPlay. If you use either of these i.e. ShadowPlay for recording gaming footage, then disabling this service will render ShadowPlay inoperable.

I've followed the instructions on my PC, and Cherno felt a bit smoother running around at first glance, but I have a 4790k and I didn't do a before and after FPS check.

This requires poking around in settings a bit, so do this at your own risk and I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong haha, but it's a pretty straight forward guide.

Edited by Euphobia
  • Like 6

Nice.  I need every frame i can get.

Disabling some services which aren't used is always a good idea.

Good find, it is the next best thing to just never buying AMD or NVIDIA hardware in the first place.

• Like 1

Saw this in another forum and tried it with the buid in benchmark of GTA V. I couldn´t see an increase there and i suspect there is also no advantage in DayZ. Too high CPU or GPU utilization isn´t really an issue in Dayz. Sadly most of the time it´s around 30% or something like that :(

But every system is different, so try it.

Good find, it is the next best thing to just never buying AMD or NVIDIA hardware in the first place.

Which Videocard would you buy in the future? Intel IGP? :huh:

A Tseng Labs card for Windows and Voodoo graphics card for games.

• Like 2

A Tseng Labs card for Windows and Voodoo graphics card for games.

Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end..............

Now i can wallow in memories for the rest of my beer :thumbsup:

Good night/morning/afternoon.......whatever :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'll probably just spring for higher end NVIDIA, in hopes of getting decent driver support.  I've tracked a few fatal error codes back to threads on how to roll back NVIDIA drivers to a stable version, from 2+ years ago.  To be fair, it is mostly moot until the game is finished, but I still think I'll have to upgrade beyond the recommended hardware to run smoothly.

I can run Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 1080p 60fps smooth in the middle of the heaviest firefight but I can't walk through Cherno without my PC having an aneurysm. I need all the frames I can get, so you can have some beans. :P

Edited by Nicko2580
  • Like 1

Just found out myself though that ShadowPlay won't enable with this service disabled :/ So if you use ShadowPlay then it's a no-go for this it seems. Older systems that can't use ShadowPlay though may benefit from it.

Edited by Euphobia
  • Like 1

Just found out myself though that ShadowPlay won't enable with this service disabled :/ So if you use ShadowPlay then it's a no-go for this it seems. Older systems that can't use ShadowPlay though may benefit from it.

I just came back to this thread to post exactly that. I couldn't figure out why Shadowplay was refusing to run and this was it. 

I just came back to this thread to post exactly that. I couldn't figure out why Shadowplay was refusing to run and this was it. 

The latest version of Geforce Experience supposedly fixes the excess CPU usage, so shouldn't need to disable it now!

• Like 1

Nice.  I need every frame i can get.

Disabling some services which aren't used is always a good idea.

This is so right.  Nvidia cards make playing WOT and Warthunder unplayable on my rig, even with shutting down services. Nvidia has the worst customer support ever.

Saw this in another forum and tried it with the buid in benchmark of GTA V. I couldn´t see an increase there and i suspect there is also no advantage in DayZ. Too high CPU or GPU utilization isn´t really an issue in Dayz. Sadly most of the time it´s around 30% or something like that :(

But every system is different, so try it.

You sometimes have to try other guides to get the best results. Since the engine is changing, aim more for Arma 3 tweak guides, you might find that useful in the near future of dayz.

Just saying prepping ahead of time, works for me :)

• Like 1

This didn't do jack shit for me. Just another redditor looking for upvotes, imo.

"Why did you try disabling this service?"

"More FPS in DayZ!"

"Cool, why this service?"

"I dunno."

"Cool, does it actually increase FPS?"

"I think so. Maybe. I'll post it anyway. MOAR UPVOTEZ!!"

Edited by Grimey Rick