Sign in to follow this  
thomas05

is this a good way to start?

hello,

i just bought DayZ and i have read a couple of starter guides and i understood them.

but i have been thinking: is it also an option to just don't settle and just keep moving (of course search for loot in cities) by this i mean:> just keep walking and when i run out of stuff i search for it and when i have enough i just walk further again? in this way i may prevent for people to take revenge for killing them or something like that  by looting my camp.  this is maybe the most stupid idea but if it is, atleast i know and i will just play normal :)

sorry for my bad english btw, i'm dutch

• Like 1

I'm always on the move.

You can set up loot dumps around the map (if / when persistence works).

thanks for the response :D, now i know i'm not doing it wrong :)

I guess there's no "wrong" way to play this game, as long as you're having fun while playing it.

I move a lot too, and in the beginning it's good to learn the map, and see the sights.

Edited by Herkyl Puuro

thanks for the response :D, now i know i'm not doing it wrong :)

I don't think there's a wrong way to do it, there's lots of playstyles and if you get bored with one, try playing a different way.  The worst that can happen is you die and respawn, but you'll always gear up again.  At some point you should explore the map though, it's a big map with lots of locations, different atmospheres and some nice surprises.

There is no wrong way to start, i usually find some food and go inland, then if i want to kill some bandits i go back to the cost with whatever weapon i've found!!

Edited by SNOWPOWDERITA

You've started another thread stating that you don't have a microphone, (or can't use one) so your options are greatly reduced.

Here's the right way to play:

Go loot stuff.  Interact with players. Interact with game elements. File bug reports.

• Like 3

is it also an option to just don't settle and just keep moving

That's how I play it most of the time. Might also be the reason why I did not get hurt very hard by the early .55 loot economy (in fact I liked it). However, a nomad playstyle tends to have less player interaction (as the majority of players seem to be coastal residents or server hoppers*) and currently PvE is somewhat lacking (though it is getting better). If you want to survive and explore it's probably the better approach but if you want action it is not.

*Players coming to the coast after getting geared (via regular or server hopping) basically import more loot there supporting a greater number of residents.

• Like 1

hello,

i just bought DayZ and i have read a couple of starter guides and i understood them.

but i have been thinking: is it also an option to just don't settle and just keep moving (of course search for loot in cities) by this i mean:> just keep walking and when i run out of stuff i search for it and when i have enough i just walk further again? in this way i may prevent for people to take revenge for killing them or something like that  by looting my camp.  this is maybe the most stupid idea but if it is, atleast i know and i will just play normal :)

sorry for my bad english btw, i'm dutch

You're doing it right, constant movement is always a bonus.  As Bones said, the loot dumps down the road with persistence will be a huge benefit.

• Like 2

Yup.

I was just telling my friend whom I play with how important it is to never linger.

Also, the expression, "head on a swivel" comes to mind as you should always be scanning the environment for movement or things "out of place".

• Like 2

Like everyone has already said, there's no right or wrong way to play.

Keeping moving is generally the best option, I mean, there's nothing wrong with having somewhere you like to hang around. But if you're going to have a "base" per se, then make sure it has the essentials. IE, a water pump, enough cover to move around, and easy access to food.

GL.

At the moment, there's no point in settling anywhere anyway because there's a wipe coming up. 

When bases etc are eventually in a good, persistent state then that may change. But that the moment you're better off just keeping on the move and avoiding conflict where you can (unless you're fully geared... then it's really just see how many you can kill before you get killed).

There's no textbook way of playing, just have fun with it. Try something or see somewhere new each day.

Wipe or not, if you set up camp somewhere people WILL find you. I set up a camp when the tents first came out and were reliably working. I thought my spot was secure, 3 tents of loot in the way North-West (before Severograd and Novo additions), no reason for anyone to be near it. Well, needless to say, I got cleaned out, came back to one tent with crap in it. 

So don't set up anything until bases are in full working order.

Movement is your friend,

like one fish said to another fish in a movie, " just keep swimming, just keep swimming, ..."

You've started another thread stating that you don't have a microphone, (or can't use one) so your options are greatly reduced.

Here's the right way to play:

Go loot stuff.  Interact with players. Interact with game elements. File bug reports.

yea your right in the 100hrs that i played this game when i got it when it first came (went back to the mod), i filed about 50 bug reports. about half of them have been assigned and only 1 has been fixed :(