itsnowak

thinking about coming back

Played this game maybe a year and a half back as the mod. Loved the game but eventually got too fed up with the hackers and items not saving correctly. I watched a few gameplay videos on youtube and see the interface is a little bit different. Really have the itch to play again but would like to hear about some of the issues or if the issues I addressed above still persist. 

And if anyone could generally give me a quick up-to-speed report of what has changed in the year or so since I've been gone, I'd greatly appreciate it!

If this helps, I stopped right around the time dayz introduced the hero outfit idea 

Edited by itsnowak

There will always be ghackers and sometimes stuff still doesnt save correctly, also servers just drop off and theres always the servers that just change and start fresh - 

Vehicles are not as developed, and not as big a gameplay element as it was in the mod. Don't listen to all the whiners about persistance. Food and supplies aren't as hard to fins as they say. Zombies are really good now, and hunting/cooking is better than mod at the moment in my opinion.

Edited by WilliamTheConqueror

If you're talking about the mod, go for it. It's gotten quite a bit better the last year or so. 

As for standalone, I'd suggest playing the mod until they get it a bit more under control. If the bugs/script kiddies in the mod annoyed you, standalone will make you homicidal. (speaking from experience of course. And NO, they haven't found the body. Yet.)

Well - this isn't the mod, it's the stand alone.

It's still in early access alpha, so there's that - there's a lot of systems that are still being implemented, tweaked, broken, fixed, rolled back, etc. It's the nature of early access alpha, but it's totally playable and still lots of fun. I won't mention anything about hackers specifically, as that's sorta a taboo subject but what I will say is it's gotten much better, especially now that there's a lot more private servers to choose from along side BattleEye updates and a few other things that were put into place... it's definitely improved and they're still working on it - avoiding the largest population public servers also helps. A quick list:

1. Vehicles - the V3S is in game now, there's a couple of variants, but they add to it.
  2. A lot more gun options are available.
  3. Zombies are a lot more interesting now - they got several updates, the latest maybe 2 weeks ago changed how they behave and attack (they're easier to avoid, but harder to predict, but just as easy to kill and seem to hit less hard?)
  4. Bear traps and land mines were just added.
  5. You can hunt, fish, cannibalize others, and cook & eat it all.

StandAlone is way more complete now then it was a year and a half ago, but they've still got a ways to go. A few things that have been issues recently including having to roll the new loot system back to a version that sometimes creates a "Lootsplotion" in one area (say, the firestation may be so full of loot you won't be able to walk through it) causing other nearby areas to be completely void of loot. However those situations have a chance to change every Wednesday during patch day. It's hit or miss... but still totally playable and worth checking out again.

So say I set myself up a tent and store things inside, that's gonna get wiped every Wednesday?? Or is it the opposite?

Edited by itsnowak

There IS a search function.  You're probably better off doing the work yourself and looking for the answers you seek instead of using this thread to ask questions about stuff that has been talked about, at length, for some time.  Maybe check out the changelogs? It's not hard.

• Like 1

There IS a search function.  You're probably better off doing the work yourself and looking for the answers you seek instead of using this thread to ask questions about stuff that has been talked about, at length, for some time.  Maybe check out the changelogs? It's not hard.

Yeah I've been running through all the new things. Just wanted a general consensus. Thanks for your kind words..

So say I set myself up a tent and store things inside, that's gonna get wiped every Wednesday?? Or is it the opposite?

I would just count on it poofing, also people can take/loot them - theres no getting around this just assume its going to be gone

I would just count on it poofing, also people can take/loot them - theres no getting around this just assume its going to be gone

Ugh, thats what was originally so frustrating for me. I'd go through all this hard work and finally start to set up a small camp and then it would be gone upon next log in. So to be safe I wanna limit myself to what I can carry in my backpack until the issue is fixed?

There is really no clear answer to that, at this point. I play on a server where persistence works now, so I can put down a tent and hopefully it will still be there after the update. However, until that new loot system is stable, I doubt you will have more than a week or two to play and enjoy your camp. Things are still pushed forth and back, depending on the devs success with a release. I think a good way to think about it is that something unexpected will happen each patch and not to get too upset about it; but I do actually get upset about it every now and then ;)

It feels a lot more like a survival game than a shooter. You don't get indicators on screen, so maintaining positions with a larger group and not shooting each other is a lot more challenging than in the mods. The map is nice, I enjoy the new areas. There is some stuff that is awesome in theory like hunting and crafting and cooking. However, at the moment only cooking meat from animals works (no fish), the leather clothes are not waterproof and have very little in terms of other advantages (I usually just craft, vest, pouch and hat). There are a lot of systems like these that are really cool and interesting but they don't all work as intended yet.

What I can say is since they first brought in the centralized loot economy in 0.55, Dayz showed a little bit more of its potential. Sure the spawns were not working right (of course not!), but there was fun to be had. And the new zombies are also cool. You can lock them into a house or garage and just leave them as a surprise for your fellow gamers ^^ The whole interaction of the infected is going to be great if they manage to tweak the AI behavior. Already, they are much more interesting to play with than in the mods. Though the sheer number in the mods partly made up for that.

I find Dayz is a game well-worth spending some time on. But it is not a great game to play casually. I suggest to have a character you want to keep and occasionally play with on stable and another one on the experimental builds, just to fuzz around with. I've somehow had more fun playing the experimental builds, since stable doesn't really deserve the name, in my book. Playing the stable version is still trial and error. For example: last week, after the patch I build a camp with my friends (we rebuild our camp). Things were supposed to be persistent, but weren't. So we decide to wait a week for a better stable release. However, yesterday I tried the same thing on the same server and today trucks and tents are still there. And I have no idea what might have changed since then. Maybe it is just a good general rule to wait a day or two after the patch and figure out persistence yourself. It's impossible to trust the forums on this, as everyone seems to have a different experience with persistence.

On the whole, I think progress is being made. I'd say the definite moment to start playing again is either in 0.56 or 0.57 when these loot problems are sorted out. It might already be done with tomorrow (updates are on Wednesday), but I think it is safe to bet on that something else will go wrong again. Updates are a bit of slapstick. I'm sure the team is working hard to make them solid, but so far something unexpected happened with every update of late.   

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 3

They are not wiping persistance for a while. They announced that any wipe would be rare and announced far in advance. Your tents are safe.

Played this game maybe a year and a half back as the mod. Loved the game but eventually got too fed up with the hackers and items not saving correctly. I watched a few gameplay videos on youtube and see the interface is a little bit different. Really have the itch to play again but would like to hear about some of the issues or if the issues I addressed above still persist. 

And if anyone could generally give me a quick up-to-speed report of what has changed in the year or so since I've been gone, I'd greatly appreciate it!

If this helps, I stopped right around the time dayz introduced the hero outfit idea 

I think your mistaken with the 1.5 years thing. I played the mod starting in 11/2012 and there was a hero outfit then and that's 2.5 years ago.

Hackers are always there, its just a question of what point in time you experienced them as certain times were worse than others...as well as what hive. Public vs shared vs private were worlds apart.

There is no quick up-to-speed way to transmit to you about everything that's new to SA since you last played. SA is massive compared to the mod and the best thing to do is read the chage-logs the staff provide here...nobody will be able to transmit it faster than looking at those logs.

Hackers came back out of the woodwork for a quick minute, Eugen crushed them super fast. 

This build was pretty crappy...if I was you, I would wait until 0.56 to come back. Hope that helps!

If you get frustrated by bugs don't play an early access alpha game.

I love this game but it can happen that you just die/lose your stuff randomly because of a bug.

Persistence is buggy, too.

Maybe you should wait for beta.