Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Authenticity: Time Acceleration vs Night Lights

I think its pretty unfair that time acceleration is our only option to scoot us through a very unattractive as well as extended night period.

I absolutely love night play, truth is...its unattractive. Time acceleration is equally unattractive. My concern is, why force night on us in its current state? What is the big deal about giving us street lights? If its about authenticity, well...that's completely out the door with time acceleration.

I say, throw a doggy a bone here and make night play attractive if you're going to force it upon us. If you give us street lights, people won't gamma exploit because once they hit lighted area it'll get too bright and they'll be constantly be going into settings to adjust it.

Dev's, I know you guys want to do it. If you didn't why did you have one lamp on per city in early SA and have the soda machines lit up?

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 4

I do miss street lights...

• Like 1

Yup many a street light working without electricity.  

So what planet are we on that allows for time acceleration? Nibiru?

There is so many elements in this game that makes zero sense. Dried blood isn't red, boat at Rify would be on its side, vegetables 5 years later sitting on a table fresh as can be, 5 year old morphine pens that work...the list goes on and on.

Caboose, you remind me of a reddit poster, always negative and at 4k posts which is like wow...like where do you find the dedication...inquiring minds want to know!

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

So what planet are we on that allows for time acceleration? Nibiru?

There is so many elements in this game that makes zero sense. Dried blood isn't red, boat at Rify would be on its side, vegetables 5 years later sitting on a table fresh as can be, 5 year old morphine pens that work...the list goes on and on.

Caboose, you remind me of a reddit poster, always negative and at 4k posts which is like wow...like where do you find the dedication...inquiring minds want to know!

Firstly, where did you get that it is 5 years later?

In fact, it would be a couple of months at best, considering that morphine has rapidly-decreased effectiveness after a year or so.

I has been a couple of months, a year at most.

Secondly, I actually rather enjoy the whole "nighttime experience" in Day Z. Yesterday, I played on a server where I caught the whole sunset. Sat on a mountaintop and watched the colors recede over the horizon. Gorgeous. If anything, they should make the nights darker.

Edited by Whyherro123

Leave out the startling of other members, if you feel like you need to get a point across there's ways of doing that without trying to insult people.

Ideal solution might be having nights be brighter than normal for gameplays sake.

Full moon nights with quite visible nights would work.

Firstly, where did you get that it is 5 years later?

In fact, it would be a couple of months at best, considering that morphine has rapidly-decreased effectiveness after a year or so.

I has been a couple of months, a year at most.

I don't have a source on hand, but out of the extensive reading I've done, I've come across a few years post-incident several x. Guesswork...probably. Either way my point stands true. Veggies are done in 1-2 weeks. Boat at Rify is laying on its side, dried blood is black in like 2 days max, etc. The time issue is really besides the point and that point is: there are a lot of inconsistencies in SA.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

im pretty sure one of the light houses is working.  You can see it moving inside, but i don't think the light lights up.

• Like 1

I think its pretty unfair that time acceleration is our only option to scoot us through a very unattractive as well as extended night period.

I absolutely love night play, truth is...its unattractive. Time acceleration is equally unattractive. My concern is, why force night on us in its current state? What is the big deal about giving us street lights? If its about authenticity, well...that's completely out the door with time acceleration.

I say, throw a doggy a bone here and make night play attractive if you're going to force it upon us. If you give us street lights, people won't gamma exploit because once they hit lighted area it'll get too bright and they'll be constantly be going into settings to adjust it.

Dev's, I know you guys want to do it. If you didn't why did you have one lamp on per city in early SA and have the soda machines lit up?

It's Alpha, now is the time to force things on us and see how it goes. Or don't even care at all if something is broken if they have the intention to fix it in the future. I loved night plays back in the mod, made for best times and stories. But in the game it still lacks something. Flares are not enough (specially when they take a lot of your inventory space since they dont stack like in the mod). And I still find flashlights narrow and useless. Using a flashlight is like im playing only with a small 3" screen, the rest of my 27" screen is not turned on seems O.o, and in real life light reflects. (Try aiming a flashlight in a closed room against one wall and look the other, you can see pretty well.)

Fix that and I'll love the night.

However I hope they keep the night by default as it is right now, pitch black

P.D: the acceleration sucks. Game should have a 19 hour cycle (so if you play always at the same hour of the day IRL u wont always find the same time of the day ingame), and be forced on every public server around the world. But.. leave that for when the night is fixed.

Edited by p4triot
  • Like 1

im pretty sure one of the light houses is working.  You can see it moving inside, but i don't think the light lights up.

Indeed the lighthouses "work" now (as of 0.53 I believe). I don't think you can see them from a distance, but I've definitely seen one dimly lit with my own eyes. I distinctly remember it catching me off guard, like "Whoa those work now?"

Edited by Tatanko

I love the accelerated time servers. Night is great and people who gamma exploit should be shamed at every opportunity. No to street lights unless you find a way to power them. It looks like electricity may one day be an option.

• Like 1

I love the accelerated time servers. Night is great and people who gamma exploit should be shamed at every opportunity. No to street lights unless you find a way to power them. It looks like electricity may one day be an option.

Exactly.

Want some lights? Set up a generator. Just ensure that you have enough batteries or a sustainable fuel source to power it, or the lights could go out at a very inopportune time....

Electricity has been confirmed for the future.

It's my understanding that time acceleration was introduced so players who enjoy playing with a day/night cycle but do not have the time to play for hours and hours can still enjoy the game.

Personally I enjoy accelerated time because it means that I don't have to play for 24 hours in order to get a full day cycle.

I imagine night time is going to get prettier when the new renderer hits stable.

I've read that there are lots of technical limitations on lighting at the moment, This can be seen when you throw a flare in a building and beams of light shoot through the walls, Just be patient and I'm sure night time will get a make over some time after the new renderer.

For the record I already find night play attractive.

Man I have to find a server where the accelation fits me. Being able to actually play at night/dusk/twilight without the server resetting to 24/7 sun is awesome!

Outside, night should have visibility instead of being pitch black. Inside, things should be much darker. I haven't played night in so long of a time that I'm not sure what it is like. Last time I played, it was perfect. Enough to see the outlines and shapes of things, but not enough to see the details.

I hid from a 6 man clan just by laying still on the ground. That's what I like to see, night should be perilous for the traveller but oppurtune for the Hunter. If you want to enter a zombie infested city to get good loot, better wait till night, which should drastically decrease the Zombies perception.

• Like 2

There's nothing better then coming back home from a job at evenings and have to play on nights only servers, thank god for accelerated times. We all know that majority of our community are possibly people in their twenties but even for teens that come back after school and not being able to enjoy much with 24/7 cycles is not interesting.

Edited by Miracool

Want some lights? Set up a generator. Just ensure that you have enough batteries or a sustainable fuel source to power it, or the lights could go out at a very inopportune time....

I put that idea out there like 8 months ago and the community shit all over it.

Still wishing we can do something like that.  :)

• Like 1

Was it just me or are some of the runway lights at nwaf working?

As far as electricity for streetlights etc. The one and only power plant has smokestacks making me think it's coal fired, maybe NG. Anyone who thinks the apple picking is tedious would love the constantly feeding fuel and gauge minding required to keep a fuel-steam-electric plant running and not exploding.

I love the 19hr day cycle idea though, I play in about the same time range weekdays and the only time I get to see the sun on my favorite public server is on Wednesdays and  the weekend now presuming I'm not hung over and up early enough.

Was it just me or are some of the runway lights at nwaf working?

As far as electricity for streetlights etc. The one and only power plant has smokestacks making me think it's coal fired, maybe NG. Anyone who thinks the apple picking is tedious would love the constantly feeding fuel and gauge minding required to keep a fuel-steam-electric plant running and not exploding.

I love the 19hr day cycle idea though, I play in about the same time range weekdays and the only time I get to see the sun on my favorite public server is on Wednesdays and  the weekend now presuming I'm not hung over and up early enough.

The runway lights at the airfields might be solar-powered. It makes sense; if the airfield loses power, you don't want the airfield lights to go off.

As for the powerplant in Elektro, which is NOT the only powerplant in South Zagoria, the wiki says that it is coal-powered. However, the larger dams in the region could also be hydro-electric powerplants, and the wiki says that the Topolka Dam near Elektro is confirmed to be hydroelectric.

• Like 2

The runway lights at the airfields might be solar-powered. It makes sense; if the airfield loses power, you don't want the airfield lights to go off.

As for the powerplant in Elektro, which is NOT the only powerplant in South Zagoria, the wiki says that it is coal-powered. However, the larger dams in the region could also be hydro-electric powerplants, and the wiki says that the Topolka Dam near Elektro is confirmed to be hydroelectric.

Fair enough, as far as I know hydroelectric plants do not run/maintain themselves though. I've had the pleasure of changing the cables on the flood gates for a few and the reservoir levels are constantly manipulated to avoid catastrophic failures.

Didn't see any solar grids at nwaf but that seems pretty plausible considering they're the end marker lights that I saw which could be enough to hit the tarmac in an emergency.

I personally like accelerated time servers.  24X seems to be a little excessive and the transition happens nearly instantly which feels odd.   I'm testing out 4X on a 4HR cycle, starting around 645AM.  Ideally, the server will shutdown after it's been dark for an hour or so, then restart at dawn.  

Still trying to find that secret sauce though, not sure what works best at the moment. 

I personally like accelerated time servers. 24X seems to be a little excessive and the transition happens nearly instantly which feels odd. I'm testing out 4X on a 4HR cycle, starting around 645AM. Ideally, the server will shutdown after it's been dark for an hour or so, then restart at dawn.

Still trying to find that secret sauce though, not sure what works best at the moment.

Ya the high amounts just feel unnatural .... We definitely need time accelerated servers to become more popular though they are so fun , they remind me of my old favorite dayz mod, dayz aftermath , in which the day/night cycle was set at just that 4 hours until restart and a good two hours of each day and night ... Unfortunately it was the good old mod dayz so if the server didn't restart every four hours on the dot it got incredibly desyncy and would regress to the previous patch in some ways , which is why I love seein standalone take on the accelerated time because SA, unlike the mod, will eventually not need constant server restarts and have this badass day night cycle going for it . Long story short , that cycle you got there sounds good :) need to find me some time X servers .