Sign in to follow this  
tux (DayZ)

Survivor Gamez VI Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

What did everyone think of the Gamez today?

The addition of the truck right at the end was awesome. Not sure why Anthony was permitted to rejoin, but really glad he did because that rambo move was hilarious.

Love that Summit1G and Dimitri teamed up. Was a bit disappointed with their lack of knowledge of the map, and the fact that Summit didn't even have the game installed right up until the Gamez started.

Starvation and dehydration seemed like a lot bigger of a problem than in SGZ V. Really added a lot to the Gamez this time.

The accelerated time was pretty cool. I didn't expect for the survivors to be playing during the night, something that seemed impromptu as many of the streamers didn't know about this feature being in this Gamez.

It looked like the old crosshair was back, not sure why they would decide to do that.

I hope that they work on getting more reliable servers. Seems like some unnecessary deaths occurred due to lag, desync, and servers failing.

Also hope that they work on the broadcasting. The only two broadcasters always seemed to be focusing on the same area, while missing some pretty important events in game. You'd think they could get a few more eyes on the battlefield so that all the action is covered. Maybe showing highlights and replays during the broadcast if anything was missed. I doubt it would be hard to treat it more like a live sporting event so that nothing was missed.

At least everyone playing usually streams the Gamez live, so having multiple streams up until they nail down broadcasting was a must.

Can't wait to watch the highlights and catch up on anything that I missed. I hope they keep doing the Gamez on a regular basis, as it adds more much needed visibility to this great survival game.

• Like 2

Desync and servercrashes pretty much ruined the event imo.

As you say, the commentary is good but they don't have eyes on the action in most cases, but the desync made it hard to see what was actually going on.

Edited by aasand

well twitch went down for me at the end.

Anthony should have been out

Desync killed both summit and dimitri.

Pretty sad......

also some streamers whose fans ddos the event should be banned from competing entirely. This happened twice in a row. 

Also sad that most these players dont know jack about the remote areas of the map...combined with all the recent heat maps of players you can tell that more than 90% of the player base is just death matching on the coast. 

Edited by trev186
  • Like 4

Agreed, the desync throughout almost the entire game (until they switched servers finally) was ridiculous. Not sure why they are having so much trouble keeping a server going steadily throughout the games. Sounded like people are trying to crash the servers, thought I have no idea why someone would want to do that.

Agreed, the desync throughout almost the entire game (until they switched servers finally) was ridiculous. Not sure why they are having so much trouble keeping a server going steadily throughout the games. Sounded like people are trying to crash the servers, thought I have no idea why someone would want to do that.

When certain players die they revealed the server details for their fan base...and suddenly ddos.

If the player reveals the server they should be out and banned from the event for a certain amount of time.

one streamer has done this the past two games upon death.

• Like 2

Also sad that most these players dont know jack about the remote areas of the map...combined with all the recent heat maps of players you can tell that more than 90% of the player base is just death matching on the coast. 

Yeah as much as I enjoy watching Summit1G play, the fact that he clearly hadn't played the game in months combined with his lack of South West map knowledge made me pretty sad.

Hoping that the SGZ team starts picking players who have a better chance of winning rather than people with a big streamer followership.

I wouldn't care if a player was a terrible streamer if they actually knew how to play. That combined with correct server maintenance and proper broadcasting would make this event a lot easier and more fun to watch.

• Like 2

Yeah as much as I enjoy watching Summit1G play, the fact that he clearly hadn't played the game in months combined with his lack of South West map knowledge made me pretty sad.

Hoping that the SGZ team starts picking players who have a better chance of winning rather than people with a big streamer followership.

I wouldn't care if a player was a terrible streamer if they actually knew how to play. That combined with correct server maintenance and proper broadcasting would make this event a lot easier and more fun to watch.

I like seeing fun personalities in there like Moon, chow and Kiwo..

but it is hard to watch when I know the entire area like the back of my hand....Dimitri and Summit were 15 feet from water from a good 10 mins while they were dying. 

I think the streamers cater to what people want which is player interaction...which you will get at the coast....

The issue is how can the devs get players off the coast? I think the CLE was working and hoping they improve on it but fix area specific spawns cause places like NWAF had 0 reasons to go to. 

• Like 2

I understand how they would like the big streamers involved to boost the number of views but id really like to see one of these games where everyone has to qualify apart from maybe the previous winners and runners up.

It would be good to see good players rather then just "celeb" names...some of the streamers don't seem to even know how to play SA and it just seems to be the same old faces all the time.

I think Zeus from Arma 3 would be great one day...that way specific items can be placed and anyone who is camping or just hanging at the back waiting can just have a group of 20 zombies dropped on their heads.

• Like 6

I watched it for the first time today and even with it's shortcomings was thoroughly entertained.

The commentary for the parts they were actually able to keep track of was really good and they did get a few intense moments.

From someone who has no interest in televised sports I can now see the appeal of listening to some jackoff talking about who's doing what with the ball, puck, what have you.

I'm looking forward to more of these as the game matures and would really like to see more good players as opposed to "personalities".

I understand how they would like the big streamers involved to boost the number of views but id really like to see one of these games where everyone has to qualify apart from maybe the previous winners and runners up.

It would be good to see good players rather then just "celeb" names...some of the streamers don't seem to even know how to play SA and it just seems to be the same old faces all the time.

I think Zeus from Arma 3 would be great one day...that way specific items can be placed and anyone who is camping or just hanging at the back waiting can just have a group of 20 zombies dropped on their heads.

Speaking of zombies, I didn't see a single one during these Gamez, and I don't recall seeing any from the last one. I wonder if they just took them out because they are pretty buggy right now.

I watched it for the first time today and even with it's shortcomings was thoroughly entertained.

The commentary for the parts they were actually able to keep track of was really good and they did get a few intense moments.

From someone who has no interest in televised sports I can now see the appeal of listening to some jackoff talking about who's doing what with the ball, puck, what have you.

I'm looking forward to more of these as the game matures and would really like to see more good players as opposed to "personalities".

Yeah I'm hoping BI keeps working on the mechanics for these types of games (i.e. custom loot drops, physical barriers when players leave the play field, better spectating mechanics).

It's also really good to see Hicks supporting the Gamez so much, and taking into account of problems so that hopefully the SGZ in the future are run more smoothly.

I agree that despite all of the problems, it was still a very entertaining battle.

Edited by tux

I think Hicks was one of the original designers of the Survivor Games wasn't he - before he joined BI?

not sure why they let Anthony back in. He starved to death right after server went out, and came back in as a fresh spawn.

not sure why they let Anthony back in. He starved to death right after server went out, and came back in as a fresh spawn.

Me too, the commentators didn't seem to have any communication with the officials?

They seemed just as confused as us watching as to why.

the last time they checked his health, it was at like 20 out of 5000. lol 

Yeah he wasn't getting back up...

Although I was really happy that he decided to get in the truck at the end. 

Plus I heard that he said that he was going to give his prizes to Dimitri because of what happened. 

Lets hope a few more qualifiers get in next time...1 or 2 teams isn't enough.

Lets hope a few more qualifiers get in next time...1 or 2 teams isn't enough.

I don't understand why it's not 100% qualifiers. With a better approach to streaming, maybe more work on the custom interface that BI setup for the Gamez, and a few more people helping make broadcasting smoother, there wouldn't be any difference in my opinion. Except for maybe some of the goofy shit that the streamers do, which arguably doesn't contribute to much in the quality of the Gamez.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link another forum, sorry if I'm not. According to this Anthony did get up.

http://survivor-gamez.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1661-survivor-gamez-vi-post-mortem/

It's good to see Hicks and the other SGZ staff looking at the problems today to help make the gamez smoother in the future (as it should be).

I hope that all of the negative feedback (especially on reddit, though I've been seeing a lot of people trashing the gamez here as well) doesn't give the staff the impression that we aren't very appreciative of these events. I have no doubt that future gamez will be a lot better; after reading that forum post, it looks like their solutions should do the trick.

Blah blah blah...

Honestly, what's the harm in having these type of events at this stage in development?

• The event is highly community driven, and worked on by volunteers in their free time
  • The players would probably be streaming, playing the same (broken) game, in a less entertaining fashion
  • SGZ gives a lot more visibility to the game during the streams. Sure, there are severe problems and bugs that occur often during the gamez, but wouldn't you rather people be drawn to the game and expect these horrible bugs, rather than stumbling across the game in steam, where they ignore all of the alpha warnings, then complain about how broken everything is?

I understand that a lot of people disliked this specific SGZ, and I'm sure that more feel that the game should be refined before doing these types of competitions. However, I know that some people do enjoy watching these events, no matter the circumstances; I know that I strive to become a more competitive player in order to someday play in this type of event (no matter how unrealistic that may be).

The idea of there being people who stream their games and more importantly that there would be large amount of people willing to watch them baffles me.

• Like 3

I enjoyed it but turned it off towards the end due to the constant crashes and server restarts.

Speaking of zombies, I didn't see a single one during these Gamez, and I don't recall seeing any from the last one. I wonder if they just took them out because they are pretty buggy right now.

There were lots of zombies, many many times zombies gave problems and players had to choose whether to shoot them and give away their position or kill them melee and risk being wide open.

Put me down for it, the last events were a big failure in my opinion.

Whoever that Lirik guy is, never even heard of him. "I haven't played this game for a month" sorry but why are you attending to the games then? Streamers who don't even know where they are at. "Where is this place?" give me a break, if you put me there, I would do a better job more than those streamers. I can not speak about PVP interaction but when it's going to come to survival I would have done much more better than them. They- they should keep streamers away from this, or make two seperate events, one that only streamers attend and one that streamers and PLAYERS WHO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME attend. 

And the players whom attend should be chosen from those who actually put their full effort to the community, guys like us, the ones who are contributing at forum etc. sorry but that Lirik guy pissed me off really hard, he's a streamer, he had lots of viewers, his chat was sub-only (beg for your pardon if his chat was closed only at the games) and this guy was like "I haven't played this game for a month."

Not only that, TheRunningManZ gave a tip to him to NOT use a female char due to their bugged breathing sounds at 1pp, Lirik was like "but this is a different build right" guy knows NOTHING about the game yet he attends SGZ. I mean, point me out one player who doesn't know TRMZ I am pretty sure you came across with his posts at the forums or reddit or youtube, but somewhere. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/slinky9746

Lirik treated him like he's some ordinary viewer, the guy does know nothing about the community, but he attends the event, You see where I'm coming from? My total respect who attended the events and are known people, Dado, Sacriel, Kiwo, KD, Moon, Smixxa, Break and others. These are the people who put the effort in the DayZ community and deserve to have a place there. 

Also, there was some streamer complaining about the game's status, if he's going to bullshit around how fucked our game is, he can also shoo away himself. Hicks should do some background checks before he is to chose attendants.

Edited by Yazar8