gannon46

so much for the struggle

I for one cant wait till all the whiners and entitled people quit. Really had to laugh that steam will somehow get involved. :D

Quality of players before quantity.

• Like 2

I honestly hated the CLE, which was so bugged nothing would spawn and the game become essentially unplayable since you'd starve to death before getting anywhere. Persistent servers always gravitate towards having little loot since stuff would refuse to respawn, stuff that spawned but would be considered unpickable would stay there forever preventing better things to respawn, you want a system like that - new items should replace the old.

Some of you might be masochists that like watching Zucchinis grow, I am not it, neither is my group. During the two weeks that CLE was ravaging the land we have essentially taken a break. Left our camp as it was and not returned until it was fixed.

All is fun and games until they piss off enough people that Steam will do a total recall. Happened to WarZ and it will happen with DayZ. Starting the game off as somewhere fun if buggy, and then successively turning it into hobo simulator will not work well for them. So far everything that happened is false advertisement. I don't like having to say it, but this game did better under Dean Hall than it did under Hicks.

Also the fucking attitude that Hicks is manifesting "Don't like it, fuck off, but we're keeping your money", telling your community to fuck off has never worked well for any developer. If you're essentially crowdfunding a game, then you need to listen to what the community wants, it is well possible to do both pain in the ass survival and open world PVP. So far the only reason for separate hives is whether or not you want to have 3rd person view available. You could equally well divide those into two hives, or incorporate hoboness into "hardcore". Then see which one is more popular by looking which server adopts what.

You do not want to listen to people that paid off the development then give everyone a refund, do your game in peace while eating top ramen, release it, have it stand up to the full critique that a completely released game normally has to stand up for (so far no one really touches it since it is in development). Get few to no sales and file for Bankruptcy and have your name forever associated with releasing garbage. The assholes from WarZ changed like every name ever associated with them and will likely never sell another game in their lives.

Game forums are always full of bootlickers. I got banned from the steam forums for getting into arguments with them and mods taking their sides. Quality moderation right there. However numbers really don't lie. The amount of players has plummeted since the start of .55 update, they went up a little after the CLE was reverted, and they will likely plummet again in .56 when Hicks will continue his experiments. What does this mean - that the players at large do not find the CLE to be enjoyable.

Again, let the amount of players plummet, they will gain a new player base. Also i doubt there will be any refund for an alpha early access title...its the nature of the beast that development directions change, the dev team also announced more then ONE time what this title will become. Also, with the addition of mod support you will have a "spawn with aug and start to kill" server. The core game will be a hard multiplayer survival game. This encludes danger from players AND danger from the environment.  Also your argument: "the customer base knows best" is invalid. If you let the masses dictate what your game should be like, you would get a streamlined, awesome button chickenshit game everytime. 90% go the easy route, 90% want to "own" in 30 min game time.The market is full of this stuff. Dayz is a PvP survival game, thats a fact. If you think every feature that doesn't involve pulling the trigger or loot some stuff is wasted time, you got the wrong game, UNTIL the modding comes.

Edited by InvincibleThroughDC
  • Like 3

What's wrong with KOSing out of fear? I did it today. Guy asks if we're friendly in a military compound in the dark: I spray 30 rounds in his direction and run away.

The difference is shooting someone to survive versus shooting someone because it's the only thing to keep you busy after the first 30 minutes of gearing, as you put it.

Maybe you will think twice if you will shoot that person, or sneak after him and axe him from behind, or just say: f@ck it, he has AKM and I have Trumphet and he will cut me down. 

You dont have to rush to every player you see and "interact".

I don't have a problem with KoS, but I was here when SA launched and I've seen a decent bit of overlap between the people calling anyone who doesn't like the first implementation of the CLE a "casual scrub who needs to go back to cawadooty" and those who bitched and complained about how anyone who kills another player for any reason is a "casual scrub who needs to go back to cawadooty" and people need to interact more and be friendly.

When loot is as scarce as it was during the first CLE implementation, being a freshie sucks massive balls, and we're playing a video game with no actual repercussions for my actions, I have no reason to not shoot you and take all your shit because attempting interaction may end up with me dead and attempting to leave might cause you to see me, board the same train of thought as me, and shoot me. Which means I get to be a freshie again and go through the hell of picking apple trees over and over and over.

So, I pop them in the back take their loot and they come here and cry about how KoS is killing the game.

Its a hilarious circle.

• Like 1

Quality of players before quantity.

since bohemia is not the unesco but a company,  they try to earn money.

and they dont get the money from quality players, they get their bills paid by quantity.

-snip-

Its a hilarious circle.

You keep drumming the same points and saying the same catch phrases in every thread on this topic.

You want to defend DM players while devaluing the people you see as so called "elitists".

Some of us have been involved in the grand discussion that is DayZ for most of 3 years and have helped to guide and expand upon the ideas that Dean Hall first implemented in the mod.

This means that we have a long history of discussing the mechanics of the game that OUR funding launched.

An open world, unscripted, survival horror game with PvP elements.

If not wanting an instant gratification DM game makes me an elitist, than so be it.

If not wanting to have to play with kids who want Call of DayZ and have no interest in investing in their perma death characters makes me an elitist, than so be it.

There are people who want DayZ, and people who will have to wait for modding to get the abominations they desire.

Advocating KoS for any reason is pointless and you're only doing it for your own conscience.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 3

I love how ignorantly people are dismissing the fact that Brian Hicks himself said that this game is not for the casuals.

• Like 7

I love how ignorantly people are dismissing the fact that Brian Hicks himself said that this game is not for the casuals.

It could be if they cry more, throw around the word majority, and threaten to vote with their wallets like we didn't read the description before we paid the same goddamn price they did.

I just bought my second copy so I get two votes for team hardcore nao!

• Like 3

You keep drumming the same points and saying the same catch phrases in every thread on this topic.

You want to defend DM players while devaluing the people you see as so called "elitists".

Some of us have been involved in the grand discussion that is DayZ for most of 3 years and have helped to guide and expand upon the ideas that Dean Hall first implemented in the mod.

This means that we have a long history of discussing the mechanics of the game that OUR funding launched.

An open world, unscripted, survival horror game with PvP elements.

If not wanting an instant gratification DM game makes me an elitist, than so be it.

If not wanting to have to play with kids who want Call of DayZ and have no interest in investing in their perma death characters makes me an elitist, than so be it.

There are people who want DayZ, and people who will have to wait for modding to get the abominations they desire.

Advocating KoS for any reason is pointless and you're only doing it for your own conscience.

Alright, since I have no idea how to break apart quotes here goes.

First.

Everybody brings up the same points in these threads. Its either being a snobby elitist or a super bad cawadooty player.

Second

Careful with the dick swinging their champ. Almost hit me with it.

Third

Not wanting instant gratification doesn't make you an elitist, telling everybody who doesn't agree with your narrow view of what DayZ should be to choke on a dick does.

Fourth

Everything is valid play style, even being a KoS scrub nugget, just because you don't like it doesn't make it less valid. Bonus points for making that final thing a personal attack, real classy.

Scarce loot is good, that CLE implementation was fucking terrible. People not liking how shit went with that doesn't make them less of a person than you. It means they like things that aren't broken, or want something else entirely.

What Hicks wants means fucking nothing btw, he's a dev and he answers to the executives of Bohemia. No amount of military contracts is going make a company hold onto a project that is costing them money. So until the DayZ devs go rogue and make their own indie studio, they don't actually get the final say.

• Like 2

-snip-

Bonus points for making that final thing a personal attack, real classy.

-snip-

If you took it personally, you automatically validated my point.

And you, managed to miss completely or misconstrue EVERY point I made.

More proof that reading comprehension is a lost skill. <--- See, that's far more personal but 1,000% true.

since bohemia is not the unesco but a company,  they try to earn money.

and they dont get the money from quality players, they get their bills paid by quantity.

Hmmm, how is this company still afloat then? Op Flashpoint, Arma, Arma II and Arma III, not a single one of these titles had a midnight launch. In fact, up until the DayZ mod went viral, everyone though that BI was just a sexual preference.

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 2

I already said previously that the vast majority of money BI makes is with their contracted engines they directly sell to goverments etc. worldwide, not arma, dayz or whatever. Plus, the DayZ Standalone made so much money already compared to the cost of developing that they do not have to worry at all about that.

But I guess it's much easier for some posters to ignore what's been stated instead. :D

Not wanting instant gratification doesn't make you an elitist, telling everybody who doesn't agree with your narrow view of what DayZ should be to choke on a dick does.

So if the developers hold the same "narrow view" of what DayZ should be.... what does that make you? Possibly.... "Wrong."?

I'm getting kinda worried now, maybe Hicks is just telling us what we want to hear. Then BI can get all our hardcore monies to pay for the game the casual "majority" want. It's not like there's allot of "fun" games for casual gamers to enjoy already.

Seriously some people won't stop complaining until every product we encounter are as consistent and bland as a McDonalds burger. 

• Like 2

"OMG silly devs if you don't listen to your playerbase and cater to as many of them as possible you will never be successful!"

20130902050655!4to6weekslater.jpg

"OMG this game is just like all the others why am I still playing this OMG devs try to be original for once!"

• Like 2

Truth is somewhere in the middle. Game was far too easy before CLE, predictable loot spawn relativly close to coast. CLE forced players to go in land. Yes, it was broken and there were servers without loot. But, you can change server or start carachter on new server. I played on few low pop servers and I survived without starving on apples and berries and few cans I found. Once I got to middle of the map there was MP5/RAK galore. In Severograd area we found 3 AKs with mags, ammo and scopes. 

What I want to say is: this game should be harder. I enjoyed .55 like no other update before. So what if I didnt have weapons - I sneaked past zombies. This game should force you to work hard to survive. You shouldnt be able to sprint across map 3 times in one day. You should spent days searching for that M4/AKM. You should live from hunting, maybe horticulture (which I never used). 

I want game where it will take me days to achive something, and to strugle just to stay alive.

• Like 5

Hmmm, how is this company still afloat then? Op Flashpoint, Arma, Arma II and Arma III, not a single one of these titles had a midnight launch. In fact, up until the DayZ mod went viral, everyone though that BI was just a sexual preference.

ask their CEO. and then ask him, what he prefers - a low amount of "quality" players, or a high amout of "quantity" players. you could also just ask him if he wants 20mil with a dlc release(if planned anytime) or 60mil.

ask their CEO. and then ask him, what he prefers - a low amount of "quality" players, or a high amout of "quantity" players. you could also just ask him if he wants 20mil with a dlc release(if planned anytime) or 60mil.

again not valid. If the only goal is to maximize the player base there would be no night time, there would be some kind of fast travel teleporters ,so players don't have to run to the military outposts etc. Also you could choose with which gun you would start as a fresh spawn so you can start shooting immediately. Maximizing player base can't be the only goal, or they wouldn't pursue the "make it harder" road.

• Like 1

again not valid. If the only goal is to maximize the player base there would be no night time, there would be some kind of fast travel teleporters ,so players don't have to run to the military outposts etc. Also you could choose with which gun you would start as a fresh spawn so you can start shooting immediately. Maximizing player base can't be the only goal, or they wouldn't pursue the "make it harder" road.

no, cos that would kill the other part of the community so they have to find a middle to satisfy both sides.

Again, let the amount of players plummet, they will gain a new player base. Also i doubt there will be any refund for an alpha early access title...its the nature of the beast that development directions change, the dev team also announced more then ONE time what this title will become. Also, with the addition of mod support you will have a "spawn with aug and start to kill" server. The core game will be a hard multiplayer survival game. This encludes danger from players AND danger from the environment.  Also your argument: "the customer base knows best" is invalid. If you let the masses dictate what your game should be like, you would get a streamlined, awesome button chickenshit game everytime. 90% go the easy route, 90% want to "own" in 30 min game time.The market is full of this stuff. Dayz is a PvP survival game, thats a fact. If you think every feature that doesn't involve pulling the trigger or loot some stuff is wasted time, you got the wrong game, UNTIL the modding comes.

I really wonder who they'll sell it to anymore. Anyone who wanted this game has got it already, and they can't really advertise until it's done because that invites that very very unfriendly aspect of reviewers giving it a 3/10 for all the bugs and calling it a day (IGN might be bribed or they can send the female janitor to sleep with them). 

I am not saying that survival mechanics aren't nice, but in all honesty they should be tertiary to the entire game. As I said before, if I wanted to sit watching potatoes grow I'd get Farming Simulator, at least that game isn't in perpetual alpha, but I digress. Right now the devs are making the game simply tedious to play by reducing spawns, breaking respawn mechanics, and still keeping everyone on the shore. I wonder how many freshspawns died of starvation before making any kind of actual progress because they were unable to find any food along the way?

Before that, under Chairman Hall, Bohemia has declared a war on early PVP. First they put everyone around the NEAF, then they were surprised that people are in that area, so they completely gutted the airfield into this civilian shit that no one wanted and no one visits. Then they went after Balota (even though the furthest south spawn at the time was Solnichniy). Effectively putting all the nicer stuff on the NW part of the map while keeping everyone in the East. 

Just note, I am being very critical not because I hate Hall or Hicks, I am really indifferent to both. I am being being critical because I do not like what I see going on with this game, and I really do not want to see it become some avant garde hobo simulator that has 100 active players.

Edited by NexDemise
  • Like 2

I really wonder who they'll sell it to anymore. Anyone who wanted this game has got it already, and they can't really advertise until it's done because that invites that very very unfriendly aspect of reviewers giving it a 3/10 for all the bugs and calling it a day (IGN might be bribed or they can send the female janitor to sleep with them). 

I am not saying that survival mechanics aren't nice, but in all honesty they should be tertiary to the entire game. As I said before, if I wanted to sit watching potatoes grow I'd get Farming Simulator, at least that game isn't in perpetual alpha, but I digress. Right now the devs are making the game simply tedious to play by reducing spawns, breaking respawn mechanics, and still keeping everyone on the shore. I wonder how many freshspawns died of starvation before making any kind of actual progress because they were unable to find any food along the way?

Before that, under Chairman Hall, Bohemia has declared a war on early PVP. First they put everyone around the NEAF, then they were surprised that people are in that area, so they completely gutted the airfield into this civilian shit that no one wanted and no one visits. Then they went after Balota (even though the furthest south spawn at the time was Solnichniy). Effectively putting all the nicer stuff on the NW part of the map while keeping everyone in the East. 

Just note, I am being very critical not because I hate Hall or Hicks, I am really indifferent to both. I am being being critical because I do not like what I see going on with this game, and I really do not want to see it become some avant garde hobo simulator that has 100 active players.

1) It really REALLY seems like this isn't the "right game" for you.

2) Survival mechanics should not be tertiary to the main game, they should be the main game. Everything else should be based around the survival mechanics

3) Well, good thing you don't have to grow potatoes, then? You can forage for food, hunt animals, fish, or try to scavenge canned food.

4) If they died of starvation on the shore, then they obviously weren't trying very hard. Pick apples until you aren't dying, then run inland. The phrase of advice for newspawns in Day Z since the early mod? GET OFF THE COAST

Besides, what is the definition of insanity? "Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result"? Yeah.....

5) That was intentional. The devs want players to move west, and "grow" as they do so. Remember what happened when all the spawns were put around the NEAF? People (mainly PvP-circlejerkers and related streamers) refused to leave the NE corner of the map. The only players you found west of Novo were the players who got sick of being killed on the beach and made a run for it.

6) Good, "early PvP" needs to die a messy death. PvP should be something you do after you get situated, not the entire focus of the game. "Players running around on the coast in pink dresses, fighting with broomsticks", as Hicks quote went.

• Like 1

We are running in circles here...this isn't about farmville crap, this isn't a war on PvP. Again, Dayz IS or will be a feature rich hardcore survival PvP game. Thats what they are trying to achieve. They want to mix features together, not just click the left mb to shoot.  Loot is broken, canned food in every house isn't the answer. 

The ideal dayz for me: Clan/tribes/lone wolfs in a melting pot of ressource scarcity, not just running to the next military outpost.

• Like 2

Dean Hall constantly said he wants the dayz survival and sparse/cautious interactions as close to the feeling 'The Road' has given him as possible (awesome book/movie btw) so I am not sure why some people are so surprised. 'Hobo simulator' comes pretty close to that and the game is progressing in that direction. This coupled with the more realistic approach towards combat thanks to Armas legacy is what makes the game so interesting for me and I guess many others. People that whine about that direction simply didnt inform themselves well enough

• Like 2

God, I love this forum. I enjoy it more than the game at this point.

Good to hear, but I'd suggest you tone down the trolling a bit if you want to keep enjoying them.

Same goes for everyone else btw.

Edited by Accolyte

*Analysis*

Appreciate your time and effort spent to analyse the alpha development of DayZ so far.

You don't have to worry about YOU seeing the game turning into a "hobo simulator", once modding is available YOU can build whatever DayZish game YOU want.

Dean Hall constantly said he wants the dayz survival and sparse/cautious interactions as close to the feeling 'The Road' has given him as possible (awesome book/movie btw) so I am not sure why some people are so surprised. 'Hobo simulator' comes pretty close to that and the game is progressing in that direction. This coupled with the more realistic approach towards combat thanks to Armas legacy is what makes the game so interesting for me and I guess many others. People that whine about that direction simply didnt inform themselves well enough

Amazing book if you ask me, movies is ok but not as good. ;)

Anyway i really like the direction the game took with 0.55 (even with the brocken loots spawn), let's see what the future will bring us, but i'd prefer an hardcore survive base game and then mods for PVP, that i'd play for sure from time to time!!