Sign in to follow this  
Sebidee

Where is all the food?

My last three deaths have been from starvation. I've played 5 or 6 hours this week and didn't see a single item of food? My fresh spawns have a life span of 40 minutes or so before they die and that's it. I've tried living off apples but that doesn't cut it since it takes too long, I don't have enough time to get the equipment for hunting or fishing because I die of starvation first. There is literally no food at all.

What the hell? That's game breaking.

PS, there's very little of any loot in the game, just empty everything.

Edited by Sebidee
  • Like 4

Wow.

Nobody else has said that. Ever. I'm glad you posted this whole new thread to alert forum users and the devs about this issue, otherwise nobody would know.

You have my beans.

• Like 1

It's all been eaten!!!!111

Right now don't try and rely on anything but sustainable methods of food gathering, i.e. apple trees, berry bushes, hunting animals (or players), fishing, or whatnot. Loot spawning is constantly being modified and in some instances still isn't working properly so you can't hope to loot enough food to survive as it stands.

I'd also recommend getting a good amount of apples/berries first before attempting hunting or fishing, as you'll need the ever rarer cooking pot to make good use of meats and you'll rarely survive long enough to find one.

• Like 1

Keep your pinky finger off the shift key unless you need it until your statuses are in check. You can make it to the center of the map jogging on 5-6 apples in 30 minutes jogging. Loot starts getting better after there and check every building in the small towns, even the ones that used to spawn nothing. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the non sarcastic answers. I'll try jogging in land.

Still pretty annoying to be breaking the game so completely with updates at this even after being in development so long. Really hope it gets fixed soon (and I'm praying it's not somehow intentional).

Edited by Sebidee

It's been kinda empty today. Since the servers' been up for more than a week and not a lot has respawned. I do think the devs are currently putting us in an extreme situation, so they can tweak the loottables based on all the complaints ^^

Personally, I can still get along quite well, but we play with three people, have camps and trucks. Makes things a lot easier. I believe some loot will respawn faster in the future. I do see the point in trying to push people inland and away from the coast, but I actually think things should be the other way around: on the coast food should spawn plenty, but not so much inland. So if people go looting for food, they will go to the coastal cities. However, we will soon see things change completely again anyway, since items will be more region bound and not spawn all over the map. Patience.

I am wondering what kind of luck these people are having, these people who say that apples and berries "take too long". Too long for what?

I've been "orange starving" and "Orange thirsty" before I stopped to pick some apples. About 15 minutes and 20 or so apples later, I was't hungry at all, and was "dark green hydrated".

It isn't broken, just annoying, and I agree apple-picking and berry-picking should be "fixed" (and that foraging should be made much more viable as a gameplay style. BRING ON THE MESOLITHIC), but you can survive on apples and berries.

Those who "can't" I think are just lazy and get frustrated without "instant success".

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

Still pretty annoying to be breaking the game so completely with updates at this even after being in development so long. Really hope it gets fixed soon (and I'm praying it's not somehow intentional).

Actually, it's completely intentional.

"Moving past the 0.55 build new system implementations we hit a rather hot button topic as of late, and one I promised to speak on earlier this week.

Just how hard is DayZ supposed to be? What is the targeted experience here? How valuable should items, and thus what I carry be to me as a player?

I like to think we're pretty up front about exactly what DayZ is and is supposed to be, and as we move closer to 1.0 more and more of this will begin to take shape. 

Once, when asked how valuable tools and resources should be to a player - on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is finding everything you need without issue, and 10 is elation over finding a can of beans (I'm paraphrasing here) Dean was quoted saying an emphatic "10".

Some folks have expressed concern that the increasing difficulty in surviving and combating the environment would hurt player interaction. To which I say.. Sure, it will hurt player interaction if by player interaction you mean folks wandering up and down the coast, wearing pink dresses and chasing each other with fire extinguishers.

However I firmly believe it will -drive- and foster a different type of player interaction."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223747-status-report-08-apr-15/

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 6

I am wondering what kind of luck these people are having, these people who say that apples and berries "take too long". Too long for what?

I've been "orange starving" and "Orange thirsty" before I stopped to pick some apples. About 15 minutes and 20 or so apples later, I was't hungry at all, and was "dark green hydrated".

It isn't broken, just annoying, and I agree apple-picking and berry-picking should be "fixed" (and that foraging should be made much more viable as a gameplay style. BRING ON THE MESOLITHIC), but you can survive on apples and berries.

Those who "can't" I think are just lazy and get frustrated without "instant success".

There's allot of people who bought this game for the wrong reasons and broken/not yet implemented mechanics. They just don't get there is a market for huge time sink games and lots of instant gratification games already out there.

I'm personally enjoying a longer more painful experience getting from spawn to healthy/hydrated and then to "geared" whatever that means to you.

• Like 2

The loot spawning system needs to be refined. We are still in alpha version right?

Be prepared for times when the game is broken because it is being altered. These are necessary growing pains and I'm sure a lot more work is going on than we can ever realize.

No loot on coasts forces players inland, where interactions are much different. Less food means you need to sprint less and actually resort to things like hunting, fishing or farming.

People will soon discover the need to craft an improvised knife off the bat, and to then get rain gear, rope, and hooks from boats, and to then craft an improvised bow and/or a fishing rod.

The loot spawning system needs to be refined. We are still in alpha version right?

Be prepared for times when the game is broken because it is being altered. These are necessary growing pains and I'm sure a lot more work is going on than we can ever realize.

No loot on coasts forces players inland, where interactions are much different. Less food means you need to sprint less and actually resort to things like hunting, fishing or farming.

People will soon discover the need to craft an improvised knife off the bat, and to then get rain gear, rope, and hooks from boats, and to then craft an improvised bow and/or a fishing rod.

they might as well just remove all the guns and let everyone beat each other with farming equipment over plots of pumpkins. farmville with weapons lol

I understand completely that survival is supposed to be difficult but guys, there is NO FOOD. There is zero food, absolutely none. Since the update I've played 7 hours and I didn't find a single food item even though food was the only thing I was looking for.

That's not difficult survivalism, that's impossible. And there is no level of pompous hardcore bragging that can make up for that. I do want survival to be difficult, since I think that will do something to reduce the KOS-ing. But this isn't right. 4 deaths in a row due to starvation with only 3 hours of gameplay is waaaay to extreme for anyone.

Since starting this thread I've died of starvation. I lasted about 50 minutes, no jogging, and managed to find 4 apples and one berry. Clearly they have zero nutritional value. I made it through two towns and literally saw 3 items, a cleaver, some rope and an IV kit and nothing else. Eventually I went completely black and white and killed myself.

Look I'm sorry but if you are saying this is the way it should be then you're crazy. 

My last spawn was on the southern coast but I knew to head immediately inland for resources.  I was down to the red-status starving twice but managed to luck out by finding a bag of rice near Dolina.  Once you get into the north it's much easier to get and stay healthy simply because of available resources.   Then gear up, load up on food and pet bottles then head back south if that's your thing.  Also, outhouses -  check every outhouse, they are mini loot explosions, sometimes even military loot like hi-cap vests and plate carrier+attachments, ammo, can openers, canned foods, fire axes, etc. just about everything.  And outhouses are another reason to head north, the towns are full of them.

• Like 2

I understand completely that survival is supposed to be difficult but guys, there is NO FOOD. There is zero food, absolutely none. Since the update I've played 7 hours and I didn't find a single food item even though food was the only thing I was looking for.

That's not difficult survivalism, that's impossible. And there is no level of pompous hardcore bragging that can make up for that. I do want survival to be difficult, since I think that will do something to reduce the KOS-ing. But this isn't right. 4 deaths in a row due to starvation with only 3 hours of gameplay is waaaay to extreme for anyone.

Since starting this thread I've died of starvation. I lasted about 50 minutes, no jogging, and managed to find 4 apples and one berry. Clearly they have zero nutritional value. I made it through two towns and literally saw 3 items, a cleaver, some rope and an IV kit and nothing else. Eventually I went completely black and white and killed myself.

Look I'm sorry but if you are saying this is the way it should be then you're crazy. 

There IS food, you just don't want to have to search for it. 

Nearly everyone agrees that apple and berry-picking (and foraging in general) NEEDS to be fixed, but it is possible to survive using it. Sometimes, you just get a shit-draw. Respawn and move on.

What was the estimated survival time for freshspawns in the mod? 30 minutes? Good. Survival is hard, and is not guaranteed. Makes your life "taste better" when you actually have to work for it.

Case in point: i was just playing, and found 4 cans of food, 3 sodas, and a bag of rice along the road from Solnichny to Dolina, AKA "Freshspawn Highway". 

Again: Sometimes, you have bad luck, but it is possible to survive on this patch. Just harder, far harder (which is a good thing), than patches before.

• Like 3

Actually, it's completely intentional.

"Moving past the 0.55 build new system implementations we hit a rather hot button topic as of late, and one I promised to speak on earlier this week.

Just how hard is DayZ supposed to be? What is the targeted experience here? How valuable should items, and thus what I carry be to me as a player?

I like to think we're pretty up front about exactly what DayZ is and is supposed to be, and as we move closer to 1.0 more and more of this will begin to take shape. 

Once, when asked how valuable tools and resources should be to a player - on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is finding everything you need without issue, and 10 is elation over finding a can of beans (I'm paraphrasing here) Dean was quoted saying an emphatic "10".

Some folks have expressed concern that the increasing difficulty in surviving and combating the environment would hurt player interaction. To which I say.. Sure, it will hurt player interaction if by player interaction you mean folks wandering up and down the coast, wearing pink dresses and chasing each other with fire extinguishers.

However I firmly believe it will -drive- and foster a different type of player interaction."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223747-status-report-08-apr-15/

I literally cannot suppress a chuckle whenever I read that line from Hicks. CLASSIC

That line should come up alongside the "Alpha Warning" whenever we start the game.

• Like 1

It's not broken. as i have said the need to deepen the foraging mechanics, be able to visably see what trees/plants bear fruits and ow many and not have this dialogue spamming random chance of a successful 'pick'.

There IS food, you just don't want to have to search for it. 

Nearly everyone agrees that apple and berry-picking (and foraging in general) NEEDS to be fixed, but it is possible to survive using it. Sometimes, you just get a shit-draw. Respawn and move on.

What was the estimated survival time for freshspawns in the mod? 30 minutes? Good. Survival is hard, and is not guaranteed. Makes your life "taste better" when you actually have to work for it.

Case in point: i was just playing, and found 4 cans of food, 3 sodas, and a bag of rice along the road from Solnichny to Dolina, AKA "Freshspawn Highway". 

Again: Sometimes, you have bad luck, but it is possible to survive on this patch. Just harder, far harder (which is a good thing), than patches before.

Stop implying that I'm a lazy casual. Here, I'll say this: You are the greatest Day z player, you are a gaming god, you are better than me and everyone else. Ok now can we move on and actually talk about food being broken without having to stroke anyone's ego?

It takes so long to find apples that it is not sustainable. If you are lucky you will find only one apple per minute. An apple can only sustain you for like 2 or 3 minutes. So you have to spend 33%-50% of your total time day z playing physically picking apples. And that's if you are lucky. I'm pretty sure it's possible to do nothing but pick apples and still due of starvation.

Why was the average survival time in the mod? Because there were players and zombies to deal with of course. Right now the average in Day z is 30 minutes and that's due to starvation alone.

You say you found 4 cans, 3 sodas and a bag of rice the last time you played? How is that possible when I've played for 7 hours since the update and have not even seen a food item? I'm not going to saw you're lying, but I'm going to imply the shit out of it. Either that or you had a one in a multiple million lucky streak.

Right now the game is virtually unplayable. You cannot possibly be saying that it's fun and the way it should be. That's insane.

It's not broken. as i have said the need to deepen the foraging mechanics, be able to visably see what trees/plants bear fruits and ow many and not have this dialogue spamming random chance of a successful 'pick'.

Maybe the rarity of actual food would be acceptable if there were more plants you could eat, or if there was more fruit on the plants we have now, or if you didn't need such exact kit for hunting and fishing and cooking (really you can only get wood if you have an axe? Why don't you break a tree limb off or pick up sticks? really? you need a knife you butcher your kill? Can't I use this sword?). 

Right now the mechanics are not good enough to allow you to live off the land while a fresh spawn. We need canned food back until then so that the game is playable,

Edited by Sebidee

Stop implying that I'm a lazy casual. Here, I'll say this: You are the greatest Day z player, you are a gaming god, you are better than me and everyone else. Ok now can we move on and actually talk about food being broken without having to stroke anyone's ego?

It takes so long to find apples that it is not sustainable. If you are lucky you will find only one apple per minute. An apple can only sustain you for like 2 or 3 minutes. So you have to spend 33%-50% of your total time day z playing physically picking apples. And that's if you are lucky. I'm pretty sure it's possible to do nothing but pick apples and still due of starvation.

Why was the average survival time in the mod? Because there were players and zombies to deal with of course. Right now the average in Day z is 30 minutes and that's due to starvation alone.

You say you found 4 cans, 3 sodas and a bag of rice the last time you played? How is that possible when I've played for 7 hours since the update and have not even seen a food item? I'm not going to saw you're lying, but I'm going to imply the shit out of it. Either that or you had a one in a multiple million lucky streak.

Right now the game is virtually unplayable. You cannot possibly be saying that it's fun and the way it should be. That's insane.

The thing with the apples is this. I use them just to get out of the hungry status at spawn (which will give you green hydrated as well) this is enough to get inland. As soon as you find a town hit up the apples again and repeat step one. Then loot.. If you find nothing move on. Plan your route so your not away from the apple trees for long enough to starve. You will eventually find a bag of rice or cereal then your golden

By the way, there is another thing I was going to say. 

How the hell is dying from starvation so quickly realistic?

A person can survive for weeks without any food, my character dies in 30 minutes if he doesn't eat. Shouldn't starving take a couple of hours and be more like a disease that slowly debuffs your character and makes him weaker and weaker and weaker until he finally dies? 

You guys are so proud of your realistic survival simulator yet you don't seem to realise that right now it's not realistic in the slightest.

You say you found 4 cans, 3 sodas and a bag of rice the last time you played? How is that possible when I've played for 7 hours since the update and have not even seen a food item? I'm not going to saw you're lying, but I'm going to imply the shit out of it. Either that or you had a one in a multiple million lucky streak.

The Devs have stated that some servers (namely, most/all private and some public) are broken, as in, they spawn nothing. If you are on a server and find nothing (not just food, but clothing, tools, random shit, NOTHING)..... LEAVE. Find another server. 

But food is spawning. Much less often, and in less-predictable places than earlier patches, but it is there. 3 cans of soda in Solnichny, a can of Bacon in one of the "log cabins" along the road west, a bag of rice in a backyard shed, a can of spaghetti in a deer stand, another can of bacon and some beans within Dolina itself. I only found 1 can inside an actual house, the rest was in backyard sheds and such, obviously the places the people (and people had been through there before me) hadn't searched

And, I don't know where you are getting your "1 apple a minute" thing, but I've found 15 apples in as many minutes, which was enough to get me from "orange starving/dehydrated" to "not hungry/dark green hydrated".  I had plenty of failures during those 15 minutes, so I didn't get a lucky streak of 15  successes in a row. Maybe the "time" it takes you to find apples/berries is tied to lag?

• Like 1

A person can survive for weeks without any food, my character dies in 30 minutes if he doesn't eat. Shouldn't starving take a couple of hours and be more like a disease that slowly debuffs your character and makes him weaker and weaker and weaker until he finally dies?

You guys are so proud of your realistic survival simulator yet you don't seem to realise that right now it's not realistic in the slightest.

This had been covered before mate.. When you spawn in you have not eaten for a long time previous to your spawning. Someone gave me all the figures when I asked about it the other week

• Like 2

I'm full energized, on a private hive (where the loot seems to be rarer) with 30+ people playing with an AKM, PSO1, around a 100 rounds of 7.62x39, a CR75 with a magazine, enough seeds to keep me fed for days, my major gear pieces are full pristine with the exception of my axe and my buttstock, which are both damaged. I died today, so all this was found within the last 4 or 5 hours.

The food (and other loot) exists, when you spawn in spend 10 minutes before you do anything else spamming an apple tree or red berries, I know it's boring but it'll serve you well later then go and get yourself a stone knife, they take up one space and are really useful. Head inland, plan your route to hit as many hunting stands and deer feeders as possible between towns, if you find seeds, particularly pumpkin seeds then hold onto them they are invaluable once you're up in the far reaches away from towns. Do not sprint unless you either have to cross an open area without cover or are taking fire. If you see a police car, they're worth the risk of checking as they're one of the best weapon spawns currently and once you have a gun, you can hunt for food and gut the animals (or players) with your stone knife.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 2

Yes, it should be. And it shall.

You do realize the game is less than 1/2 the way done, right? 0.55 isn't an indicator of progress out of 1.00......

So many mechanics need to be refined.

Also, the devs have stated that eventually, time will be rapidly accelerated, along the line of "2 hour days", so the starvation/dehydration times make more sense, as well as travel-times being more realistic.

Just....not yet.

• Like 1