boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Does this work even if it's not on the ground? It was like stuck in the bush...

Yes, that's exactly where it works. Cutting the bush down works as well. I found the lay down stand up trick when I got a bag stuck in a cut down tree.

• Like 1

Does this work even if it's not on the ground? It was like stuck in the bush...

Definitely, like BC said, cut the bush down with a rock knife.

I've had some fun as well as some rather serious issues today. It seems the server I usually play on has loot explosions, which causes it extreme stress at times (I don't think a desync of 10000 is normal ^^); the desync varied, it was terrible in the truck, though it hardly teleported or flipped around. However, when I got to Topolka Dam with my friend, he died while inside the hunting lodge there, on plain ground, inside. But I couldn't find his body. He was defaulted and respawned. Earlier that day I got a message: "Your character could not be loaded..." And then: "You were kicked off the game" (or something like that) I was about to go Mr. Hyde again. Yet after reloading the game everything was back to normal, I lost no gear or such. I got a few of these disconnects today and wonder why. The server kept running. It just seemed to randomly kick people at times (and rather often). 

Another server I tried had no night, less loot and fewer problems as it seemed. So I can't yet tell if this has to do with the night cycle or what is causing these performance spikes. It might be the server settings?!

Edited by S3V3N

Had a 30rnd Sporter mag stuck on a bush.

Chopped bush. No go.

Re-logged into server.

Picked up mag.

• Like 1

I made a mistake and ate raw cow steak. I was pretty much "healthy" before, but within minutes my screen turned grey . I keep eating and drinking to diminish the effect (I have no charcoal tablets), but it seems to get rapidly worse. I got from "I feel nauseous" to "I think I have to vomit" within 5 minutes and it looks like I won't make it much longer. I researched a bit and it seems there are several more stages before death. How quickly do I go from red "sick" to death without charcoal tablets? Can I still go on searching for half an hour or will it strike me down sooner?

Sorry about posting it here, but it feels a bit odd to get sick and black and white so quickly, so I thought maybe it has to do something with the patch?

I made a mistake and ate raw cow steak. I was pretty much "healthy" before, but within minutes my screen turned grey . I keep eating and drinking to diminish the effect (I have no charcoal tablets), but it seems to get rapidly worse. I got from "I feel nauseous" to "I think I have to vomit" within 5 minutes and it looks like I won't make it much longer. I researched a bit and it seems there are several more stages before death. How quickly do I go from red "sick" to death without charcoal tablets? Can I still go on searching for half an hour or will it strike me down sooner?

Sorry about posting it here, but it feels a bit odd to get sick and black and white so quickly, so I thought maybe it has to do something with the patch?

Find a well and drink water until you throw up.  This may actually cure you.

Edited by Barnabus

Find a well and drink water until you throw up.  This may actually cure you.

IF you are highly energized and hydrated (make sure of that), there should be no problem, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29-75325kg ... the differences between no regeneration and high regeneration come somewhere after 10 minutes.

If you are too impatient, the base thing is this: Food poisioning reduces your blood by a certain percentage of your current blood per second and you gain blood from high regeneration at a fixed rate ... you do not fall under a certain amount of blood that way. BUUUUUUT the video is old, the stages may have changed, the messages are not the same any more, .... either way, the principle is the same. What changed definitelly is the blood regeneration, it is not 3/sec, but 1.5/sec now iirc, BUT I bet my left nut am very confident that you will not fall below 500 blood from food poisioning, if you are on high regeneration. Just make sure you stay on high energy and hydration.

BTW, concerning the discussion about puking curing sickness, I think it is a myth ... you only ever get updates on your sickness status indicator when something changes ... so for example you are sick, then you puke -> update to your indicator, that red thing...then you are done -> update, no indicator. The last update might then just be from the last stage of sickness to being fine again 20 minutes later, therefore you see no more indicator, even though you are still sick for a while. Light and medium food poisioning (you have medium from eating raw steak) do not take that long.

Everyone who doesn't know how regeneration, eating and sickness are working should really watch the following vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPG3iKWQv5w  ... blood, health and shock basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPG3iKWQv5w  ... indicators and regeneration, stomach, ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD_tmFNw47k   ... newer vid about sicknesses, some more or different information ... also does NOT takes into account the reduced rate of blood regeneration we have now

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

Where are the tents and fire axes !!!!!

did not find them for 8 days.
Playing on a privat hive.

Where are the tents and fire axes !!!!!

did not find them for 8 days.

Playing on a privat hive.

It's odd, me neither. And then I came across some houses that were littered with them. Axes, hatchets, bear traps, chainsaws and a fireaxe or two. I think that was in the area just north of Elektrozvadosk, the "Kometa" holiday camp south of the dam. 

Tents can still be found in the Cherno Apartment blocks. You are either patient or lucky, as it can take between 5 and 25 minutes to find one there. And if you play on highly populated servers it may be other people already took most of them, too. But I always find one after a server restart anyway.

EDIT: Not sure about private hives. It should be the same there, but I play on public.

Edited by S3V3N

IF you are highly energized and hydrated (make sure of that), there should be no problem, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29-75325kg ... the differences between no regeneration and high regeneration come somewhere after 10 minutes.

(...)

I did read up on sickness and its various stages. I usually always have some medicine and never needed it before. Since we only started rebuilding camp yesterday, nobody has any meds right now. 

I just find it odd that my screen turns black and white so quickly. And despite being light green hydrated and energized it seems to get worse every minute. I went from feeling nauseous to puking every couple of steps in maybe 10 minutes time. It just went incredibly quickly, and I am afraid to boot Dayz up now. I told my friends to find some charcoal tablets, and then I'll be on again. What they managed to do so far is crash two trucks, loot amazing amount of military gear and stay within a two mile radius of our camp... I guess I'm gonna wait for help a little bit longer ^^

• Like 1

I did read up on sickness and its various stages. I usually always have some medicine and never needed it before. Since we only started rebuilding camp yesterday, nobody has any meds right now. 

I just find it odd that my screen turns black and white so quickly. And despite being light green hydrated and energized it seems to get worse every minute. I went from feeling nauseous to puking every couple of steps in maybe 10 minutes time. It just went incredibly quickly, and I am afraid to boot Dayz up now. I told my friends to find some charcoal tablets, and then I'll be on again. What they managed to do so far is crash two trucks, loot amazing amount of military gear and stay within a two mile radius of our camp... I guess I'm gonna wait for help a little bit longer ^^

LOL, so they basically found everything but your charcoal :)

The screen turns grey pretty fast, some time ago I kind of meassured how grey means what by timing how long it took me to get the healing status after getting injured ... with regenerating 3 blood / sec it took for example 5min 33s to get from 4000 blood back to 500 where the healing starts. Now it takes double of that. I was supprised how grey the screen is at 4000 blood, after all one could say that you are still at 80% blood ... it really get's grey very fast.

I tested medium sickness with burnt steaks - well, I did not know if I would get light or medium sickness at the time, turned out I got medium. Do you have a tent? A backpack? Does persistance work on the server? Does persistance actually work correctly with backpacks now? Maybe there is a well nearby? Depending on the answers, just log in, drop your gear and try to pull through ... If you are at the "camp" I guess there is some food / drink there. I would at least try to do so until you cannot keep up high energized and hydrated any more. Really, nothing should happen as long as you are on high regeneration.

Concerning the multiple puking, are you sure you might not have (maybe even also have) cholera? Is it possible to have multiple diseases at the same time now? Iirc in the past you could only have either light or medium food poisioning at the same time... . Either way, I always thought that you only puke once with medium food poisioning...

... and now don't be a chicken and pull through without meds! It's not like your char would have a high life expectancy in the apocalypse anyways, if his immune system cannot take care of such minor problems on its own! GOGOGO ... for science!

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

LOL, so they basically found everything but your charcoal :)

The screen turns grey pretty fast, some time ago I kind of meassured how grey means what by timing how long it took me to get the healing status after getting injured ... with regenerating 3 blood / sec it took for example 5min 33s to get from 4000 blood back to 500 where the healing starts. Now it takes double of that. I was supprised how grey the screen is at 4000 blood, after all one could say that you are still at 80% blood ... it really get's grey very fast.

Concerning the multiple puking, are you sure you might not have (maybe even also have) cholera? Is it possible to have multiple diseases at the same time now? Iirc in the past you could only have either light or medium food poisioning at the same time... . Either way, I always thought that you only puke once with medium food poisioning...

... and now don't be a chicken and pull through without meds! It's not like your char would have a high life expectancy in the apocalypse anyways, if his immune system cannot take care of such minor problems on its own! GOGOGO ... for science!

Ok that's a relief thank you. I've never managed to get sick so far, so I was surprised the screen turns grey that fast; quite discomforting. You are right, I only puked once so far and afterwards I had "sick"  status, but I logged out before I could puke again. He still said he's going to vomit, I just didn't wait it out (I think). Yes, I made it back to our camp and logged out. Persistence seems to work, so I also thought about putting down my gear and running to the next hospital. However, by now the other two probably stuffed so much into these tents that I won't have space ^^. Could wait out a server restart though and try then (just to be sure about the gear)  I am always the one to pick up the stuff before maintenance, so I thought it would not be a big problems for the other two to get me some pills. 

So, would a saline infusion do any good at this point? Maybe it gives me a few more minutes? You are right, I should just keep playing, but I'm kinda keen about keeping my character. He's been with me for more than a month now! It would be good for science, of course, if I found out how sickness exactly plays out. I wonder if I can't just grow a field of pumpkins and fill a gasoline can with water ^^. Eating and drinking all that should easily get me back to 5000 blood and I would probably puke from being stuffed a few times, too. 

Edited by S3V3N

Ok that's a relief thank you. I've never managed to get sick so far, so I was surprised the screen turns grey that fast; quite discomforting. You are right, I only puked once so far and afterwards I had "sick"  status, but I logged out before I could puke again. He still said he's going to vomit, I just didn't wait it out (I think). Yes, I made it back to our camp and logged out. Persistence seems to work, so I also thought about putting down my gear and running to the next hospital. However, by now the other two probably stuffed so much into these tents that I won't have space ^^. Could wait out a server restart though and try then (just to be sure about the gear)  I am always the one to pick up the stuff before maintenance, so I thought it would not be a big problems for the other two to get me some pills. 

So, would a saline infusion do any good at this point? Maybe it gives me a few more minutes? You are right, I should just keep playing, but I'm kinda keen about keeping my character. He's been with me for more than a month now! It would be good for science, of course, if I found out how sickness exactly plays out. I wonder if I can't just grow a field of pumpkins and fill a gasoline can with water ^^. Eating and drinking all that should easily get me back to 5000 blood and I would probably puke from being stuffed a few times, too. 

As the blood loss is always a certain percentage of your remaining blood, a saline bag should be taken as late as possible. It will buy you extra time for your blood to go too low ... and sicknesses go away with time, so yes, it helps. But I still loudly proclaim, that as long as you stay on high regeneration, you don't need anything to survive the sickness. It is not neccessary with light or medium sickness. You can only get medium sickness from raw steak. Blood bags and saline bags are useful, IF you cannot sustain high regeneration. The big thing is chemical poisoning (Disinfectant). You loose 0.5% of your current blood in stage two, BUT that only lasts for 2 - 5 minutes. After that, with 0.3% blood loss / second you will also not fall below 500 blood, if you are on high regeneration.

You only need food, if you loose your high energized state, so your last paragraph kind of confuses me. A pumpkin has 2000 energy. If you don't move around, you only loose 0.15 energy and water / sec, yes you loose a extra water because of the sickness, but that is also not sooo much. If you are not in direct danger of loosing your high energized status, you don't need more food ... puking reduces your energy by 600 and your hydration by 1000, but should not happen so often. I kind of read out of your paragraph that eating gets your blood up to 5000 ... that's not how it works as such. You either have high regeneration or not.

Let's do some numbers...the worst blood loss when being medium sick is 0.2%. That is stage 2, BEFORE you vomit. If you regenerate 1.5 blood / second and loose 0.2% of your blood / second you can never fall below 750 blood. So high regeneration will keep you from falling unconscious.

You already vomited, so you are in stage three ... you only loose 0.1% of your blood / second. With regenerating 1.5 blood / second you cannot fall under 1500 blood. That's it.

Really, if you are sick because of raw steak, but are on high regeneration, then you can just log on and wait it out. Promise. 

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

Oh, that's interesting. The "guide" I looked up for this never mentioned that you can cure poisoning by keeping yourself energised and hydrated. (http://orcz.com/DayZ_Standalone:_I_feel_nauseous)

It only mentions charcoal tablets as the miracle cure for all stages of poisoning. I actually should be able to achieve the same effect by eating ashes from the fire, shouldn't I? Essentially that is what charcoal tablets are in a more convenient form; but I guess that would be too easy ^^

I'm never good at math or figuring out the numbers of blood loss, etc. I just go by visual cues and it is really concerning me that you cannot find out how your blood level is, because I sure look like I have been shot five times. However you tell me this is all safe and I should go on. It just looks worse than it is, aye?!

The thing about the pumpkins - not sure if it is a bug or not, but you can just keep on eating them, vomit, eat again, vomit, and so on, until you reach 20k energy. Of course you hve to drink too, but basically a few pumpkins could get me up to full health at this time, despite the puking and water loss. That's what I meant by the last paragraph. I could just eat them, until I get back into the "healing" zone and wait it out from there on. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

The thing about the pumpkins - not sure if it is a bug or not, but you can just keep on eating them, vomit, eat again, vomit, and so on, until you reach 20k blood. Of course you hve to drink too, but basically a few pumpkins could get me up to full health at this time, despite the puking and water loss. That's what I meant by the last paragraph. I could just eat them, until I get back into the "healing" zone and wait it out from there on. 

I actually put that into the bugtracker and used pumpkins as an example for the glitch ... but you mix things up here:

You can get up to 20k ENERGY that way, not 20K blood. The max blood is 5k and you regenerate 1.5 per second, when on high regeneration. Health also has 5k max, and you can regenerate 0.5 health per second, when you are on high regeneration AND your blood is at 5k. Eating something does NOT give you blood or health as such. When energized and hydrated enough, your body is in well enough shape so it can "produce" blood and health with time. Just watch those two videos again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPG3iKWQv5w  ... blood, health and shock basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPG3iKWQv5w  ... indicators and regeneration, stomach, ...

EDIT: I just looked at your linked source. The page is not incorrect as such ... the numbers are off I think, but it only tells you what the messate means. It as last updated on Jan 18th 2014. It only tells you about a stage of the sickness though, does not tell you, that those stages are only there for some time and that sicknesses vanish after running through all stages ... the page should be taken offline, it's not up to date and missleading :) ... Well better would be an update of the page, but that's the thing with the internet ... out of date information.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

Since playing with the accelerated time, we lost a lot of traffic dropping the server out of the Top 10 so we decided to keep it 24/7 daytime for the time being <<< No pun intended :P

Seems quite a few players prefer daytime over night just based on how quickly we dropped out of the top 10, but eventually I am excited to have day and night on the server all the time.

I must me in the minority here, because I have the time to play 6-10 hrs in a row and enjoy the sunrises and sunsets in-game, even if only once or twice a week, on accelerated time servers. I just wish restarts were further than 4hrs apart. But finding a low-ping public server to play on is a chore, because most of them are either 24/7 day or 24/7 night or (what's even worse) 3PP.  <_< 

BTW, concerning the discussion about puking curing sickness, I think it is a myth ... you only ever get updates on your sickness status indicator when something changes ... so for example you are sick, then you puke -> update to your indicator, that red thing...then you are done -> update, no indicator. The last update might then just be from the last stage of sickness to being fine again 20 minutes later, therefore you see no more indicator, even though you are still sick for a while. Light and medium food poisoning (you have medium from eating raw steak) do not take that long.

Correct as always, dear sir. It is a myth.

Puking actually makes it worse, since you lose energy and water when you do it (-600 and -1000, respectively?.. correct me if I'm wrong). I've done extensive experimentation in 0.54 and, medicine aside, the best thing you can do to cure yourself is stay Energized and Hydrated and wait it out, which may take a while. Being next to a water pump helps, because you may have to drink a lot to stay Hydrated while (maybe) having to vomit a few times. It may now be possible to have multiple sicknesses at the same time, because I distinctly remember getting cholera from drinking pond water while still fighting chemical poisoning from having gulped down a full Alcohol Tincture (dirty water seemed preferable to death by dehydration from projectile vomiting).

It only mentions charcoal tablets as the miracle cure for all stages of poisoning. I actually should be able to achieve the same effect by eating ashes from the fire, shouldn't I? Essentially that is what charcoal tablets are in a more convenient form; but I guess that would be too easy ^^

You could try, but the only effect you'll probably get is indigestion and weird-colored poop. ^_^ Don't confuse activated carbon (activated charcoal) derived through chemical activation, oxidization or controlled pyrolysis, with plain ash or charcoal. Otherwise, people wouldn't need charcoal tabs IRL, they'd just snap off and eat a piece of barbecue charcoal used for grilling outdoors.  :D

• Like 1

Yes, that's exactly where it works. Cutting the bush down works as well. I found the lay down stand up trick when I got a bag stuck in a cut down tree.

Well, it's too late now, but thanks for the advice! I'll give this a try next time! :-)

I can't believe I didn't think about cutting it down...  :facepalm:

Edited by ShoobieStomper

Ok, so I dedicated the day to science and worked out the sickness messages. It's pretty easy. He will tell you lots of stuff, which basically you can just ignore. Until it says: I feel tired. At which point I took a break and sat around a fireplace for a few minutes. I was hydrated and energized in the light green all the time. Didn't have to eat a lot more than usually. After about 20-25 minutes I noticed color coming back - and almost as fast as it went away with being sick. I did restart the game before that, but only because I had to sort out sound problems. 

After another maybe 15-20 minute the "sick" status wore off without taking any medicine. I noticed I wasn't healing, even though energized and hydrated were light green, so to sped up the blood regen, my friend gave me a saline bag. Which instantly returned me to light green healing status and healthy shortly after. Ironically this was also when my friend (finally) found 5 charcoal tablets. Speaking from todays experience I can only recommend to keep calm and ignore most of the messages you get when feeling sick. The best place to head to imho is one of the new holiday camps, because they almost all seem to have a clinic where you can find saline bags and meds. 

Totally cool to have this feeling of "yes, I made it through!" and to be able to keep my character of one month playtime. It's the first time I experienced illness like that, though I also drank a bottle of alcohol once, but that wore off much faster than what I experienced today (even though alcohol tincture can probably give you more problems in this newer build, too).

• Like 4

am i the only one 1-2 hitting zombies with a chainsaw thats been turned off?

am i the only one 1-2 hitting zombies with a chainsaw thats been turned off?

iirc that sounds right. If you turn it on, I think you will 1-hit them.

iirc that sounds right. If you turn it on, I think you will 1-hit them.

Imho the chainsaw is bugged too. I tried it out today, as well as the crossbow (which basically behaves like the bow in a weird tilted position now - currently useless).

When I turn on the chainsaw I don't hear it. Only when I first chop down a tree it seemed to stay on for me and I could slice and dice. It also only used 3% of the gasoline can, which seemed good to me. The flaw here is that you can either carry the chainsaw or the jerry can in a green mountain backpack. Since you can't take chainsaw into hands (at least I couldn't. I had to put it in the bag first). They are supergood for chopping down trees though; saves me a hatchet, but is really a bit too cumbersome to use at this point. 

Also: thanks bautschi for the tips with sickness. I totally relied on your word and you were completely right, too :)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

Imho the chainsaw is bugged too. I tried it out today, as well as the crossbow (which basically behaves like the bow in a weird tilted position now - currently useless).

When I turn on the chainsaw I don't hear it. Only when I first chop down a tree it seemed to stay on for me and I could slice and dice. It also only used 3% of the gasoline can, which seemed good to me. The flaw here is that you can either carry the chainsaw or the jerry can in a green mountain backpack. Since you can't take chainsaw into hands (at least I couldn't. I had to put it in the bag first). They are supergood for chopping down trees though; saves me a hatchet, but is really a bit too cumbersome to use at this point. 

Also: thanks bautschi for the tips with sickness. I totally relied on your word and you were completely right, too :)

Well, thanks for the flowers. Concerning the chainsaw, let's assume the jerry can holds 10 liters or so, then 3% are 300ml, that sounds about right concerning what fits into a medium chain saw. Concerning their size, unless you wanna run around with a chainsaw as a melee weapon (which I don't want to), they will probably be stored more in tents / cars / bases in the long run. Same goes for jerry cans. Both are not things you want to run around with irl.

I really don't know how useful they will be, wood is soo damn large, so storing it for the future is not really a thing currently. Maybe we can build containers for wood at some point, like stacks of wood. Maybe a chainsaw will allow cutting down bigger loggs for palisades or building houses, but all that is guesswork. Also with the size of the map and the amount of players, I cannot imagine putting a lot energy into building a settlement with a few houses just for it to be found in a week or two and then getting ransacked. But no one knows how "base building" will look like, so...

The "Take chainsaw into hands" will probably come though :) ... I guess they just forgot that.

Maybe we can build containers for wood at some point, like stacks of wood. Maybe a chainsaw will allow cutting down bigger loggs for palisades or building houses, but all that is guesswork. Also with the size of the map and the amount of players, I cannot imagine putting a lot energy into building a settlement with a few houses just for it to be found in a week or two and then getting ransacked. But no one knows how "base building" will look like, so...

The "Take chainsaw into hands" will probably come though :) ... I guess they just forgot that.

The bases I built in the mod required wood planks to make anything from a wooden wall to a wooden crate or weapons rack. If you chopped down trees with an axe it would first give you wood and then you'd have to make planks; so there were two steps. The chainsaw would cut trees down faster and make planks right away, which was a great help then. Wooden walls could also be broken in with a chainsaw, which is why you'd go for brick walls on the base floors. I could imagine something similar for the standalone. Though I wouldn't really want to build bases like that again. I'd much rather occupy some existing building and modify it. 

BTW, something interesting I found out. You can put the lard and guts from dead animals into the cooking pot (filled with water) and re-heat them over a fire. This way you can get a reusable "heat pack", made from natural ingredients ^^ I often put one in my pants when I drive the truck (I tend to get cold driving). 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

The bases I built in the mods required wood planks to make anything from a wooden wall to a wooden crate or weapons rack. If you chopped down trees with an axe it would first give you wood and then you'd have to make planks; so there were two steps. The chainsaw would cut trees down faster and make planks right away, which was a great help then. Wooden walls could also be broken in with a chainsaw, which is why you'd go for brick walls on the base floors. I could imagine something similar for the standalone. Though I wouldn't really want to build bases like that again. I'd much rather occupy some existing building and modify it. 

BTW, something interesting I found out. You can put the lard and guts from dead animals into the cooking pan and re-heat them over a fire. This way you can get a reusable "heat pack", made from natural ingredients ^^ I often put one in my pants when I drive the truck (I tend to get cold driving). 

Sounds like the mod you played was Epoch. Epoch for Arma 3 is already out (alpha) and I play it sometimes in a group. But the standalone will not end like that as far as I understood. No plot poles that keep others from building in your area, no 500 meter high cinder wall towers with a helipad on top, ... at least that is what I interpreted out of what I read here. The vanilla mod only has tents and fences out of wire iirc. And then mods for the standalone will also come, sooo...