boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

At least they've made them less god-like in the mean time. I currently use them almost exclusively to gather kindling for fires :) (bark from trees, sticks from bushes).

Yeah, I tend to keep mine for the same thing, basically I use it for all non-skinning/prepping tasks.

I appreciate that the loot distribution has been tweaked because I for one do not wish to heli-hunt in order to find a smersh vest. So it is nice to find at a military base as it would stand to reason one would be there. Still think that anything found on heli should have chance of military base spawn.

Today, I played 8 hours on my two home servers running from the West most military tents all the way to the East coast following the main north highway. I hit every town and 80% of the houses only to find enough quality gear for two players. What's the deal with outhouses/purches is it all that hard to code building types/loot types with an effective distribution system?

It seems like 80% of the loot type is distributed totally randomly and 20% is logically distributed. For example I saw 9 motorcycle helmets in the military tents but no gorka or ballistic helmets. Where did I find a ballistic helmet but in a hunting purch. No gorka jacket in the northern most military base but one in a towns outhouse.

I appreciate that the loot distribution has been tweaked because I for one do not wish to heli-hunt in order to find a smersh vest. So it is nice to find at a military base as it would stand to reason one would be there. Still think that anything found on heli should have chance of military base spawn.

Today, I played 8 hours on my two home servers running from the West most military tents all the way to the East coast following the main north highway. I hit every town and 80% of the houses only to find enough quality gear for two players. What's the deal with outhouses/purches is it all that hard to code building types/loot types with an effective distribution system?

It seems like 80% of the loot type is distributed totally randomly and 20% is logically distributed. For example I saw 9 motorcycle helmets in the military tents but no gorka or ballistic helmets. Where did I find a ballistic helmet but in a hunting purch. No gorka jacket in the northern most military base but one in a towns outhouse.

So 8 hours on your own 2 servers gave you enough gear in the north for two players?

How many people play on your servers?

Something is new today. On the easter weekend I was running land inwards and found some loot, not much, but something. Even crappy shit I left behind.

But today there's nothing. I ran 2.5 hours around, sweaped about 7 villages and towns totally and all I found was a can of Pipsi and a wrench .... nothing else, even not in any outhouse.

Not even a pink hat or something like that, which is left behind normally by everybody.

It's bugged, maybe you are on a private shard? Seen that same thing this morning on a server that had loot last night and has loot now. If you really want to know more, it has something to do with persistance on private shards, the population on the servers, (de)activating persistance by server providers, ... Hicks started a thread concerning persistance on private shards and it's discussed there: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223597-service-alert-private-shard-persistence/

What's the deal with outhouses/purches is it all that hard to code building types/loot types with an effective distribution system?

Loot spawning in wrong locations is a known issue, even written in the patch notes as such. Iirc they want to put that in in 0.56.

So 8 hours on your own 2 servers gave you enough gear in the north for two players?

How many people play on your servers?

8 hours on my two home servers (two public servers that I play regularly on)

I do not know how many players play on them nor have hopped to them to loot since last maintenance window. However, they are only ever medium populated during the times that I play on them.

So, I've been playing quite a lot of DayZ lately (as always lol) and I went into a deer stand north of Cherno and I found a "Flanged Mace" now I have never seen this weapon before so I expected to have been added in the .55 update. But it doesn't say on the changelog or the undocumented on the DayZ Wiki. can anyone explain when this weapon has been added, because I haven't heard anything about it. here's a screenshot of the mace http://steamcommunity.com/id/Warbonnet/screenshot/46501488055321997

Um lets see, youre wrong. You fail. You dont know how to play. this is how it should be. I find tons of loot all the time just suck it up and l2p.

Sarcasm! I feel your pain but dont bother to write anything here, the hardcore find everything everywhere so your words fall on deaf ears.

I don't think its a criminal investigation, so we don't have to find out the truth behind 0.55. We are merely stating our experiences here. I died 2 times since the update. Once to a glitch (hit end of a fence with the truck and got rotated into the ground - dead), once to a bandit. I didn't starve etc. but I now see I was extremely lucky! First of all, I was on a server that had no persistency so it spawned new loot after every restart; no wonder I had no problems getting equipped.

With all the food and because we mostly play with 3 people, we had no problem getting through areas with lesser loot. I do apologize for sounding smug about finding food while others were starving. I was just lucky with my server and didn't understand that then. I thought people were exaggerating, but I have been to populated servers that had virtually no loot left. No fun playing either; even when I'm equipped, I still WANT to find loot.

So now things are evened out, but I still find more loot on my favorite server than on most others. And since we made camp there, I guess we'll stay. I think it is a tough balancing the Devs have to do here. When a server is always populated, it needs to respawn loot faster then one that is nearly empty most of the time. But it is merely a question of balancing. I know this update wasn't perfect, but I have been enjoying it a lot! We'll just have to deal with the Alpha pumping new content into each release and fixing it later. Can be frustrating. You have my beans!

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I caught 2 carp, skinned one with a pristine improvised knife and the other with a pristine kitchen knife. Both gave a small pile of guts. ??

Tried the same thing. Seems like the carp fillets have been removed from the time being. I know they are gonna be replaced pretty soon.

1U8whkb.gif

• Like 1

So, I've been playing quite a lot of DayZ lately (as always lol) and I went into a deer stand north of Cherno and I found a "Flanged Mace" now I have never seen this weapon before so I expected to have been added in the .55 update. But it doesn't say on the changelog or the undocumented on the DayZ Wiki. can anyone explain when this weapon has been added, because I haven't heard anything about it. here's a screenshot of the mace http://steamcommunity.com/id/Warbonnet/screenshot/46501488055321997

First time added was in 0.53 experimental.

Decided to start fresh with a 3PP character to try my luck. When I'm in a 3PP game I'm still in 1PP 99% of the time. I usually just stick with 1PP servers but I was tired of the limited Public 1PP servers and wanted to see the loot distribution from the coast up.

Chose a public server, pers(ON), low ping, low pop (5 others).

My spawn point was mostly empty but searching the spots people often pass turned up a few crucial bits of gear.

Made it to Mogilevka with a lucky PET bottle, water purification tabs, and a hammer, just in case....

Successfully toured the toilets of Mogilevka without catching aggro and I was able to get some good food, supplies, and a mix of ammos that spurred me further North.

From there I popped into some towns leading North finding smatterings of food and more bits of useful stuff but no signs of any better melee weapons or any firearms.

ycxpbrq.jpg

^In this town I saw a police car and didn't get excited as all of the ones I've found prior were looted.

I approach the car and see evidence of loot and just then an infected fell upon me.

I run for a moment pulling out the hammer and decide that I would stand my ground for a chance at a fresh car. ("There's only enough room for 1 Sheriff in this town, partner!")

I spun a wide arc and his first attack missed.

I then lined up his head and braced for impact(s).

He hit me a couple times as I zeroed in on his forehead and once caught in a stagger it wasn't long before I had beaten it to death without any further damage to myself. I have to say, it was very satisfying laying into it's skull with the hammer.

Not bleeding, I walked over to the car and find on one side, civilian clothes, a dry bag, a 25 rnd RAK mag, and 2 AK buttstocks (wood and poly).

Other side of the car... a RAK, a P-1, and a Longhorn! I'm extra happy that I found that box of .380 in a Mogilevka toilet...

So I went from 0 to SMG in -1.5 hours.

He's not pretty but he's ready to jog the map.

56g4wJT.jpg

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 4

Now that I've put some serious time on this build, I gotta say: this was definitely the "TSN Turning Point" build.

I hope they don't roll back anything and continue to progress, move forward. It finally resembles something close to what we had in the mod. Canned food is rare enough to create tension when on the hunt for it. I'm watching my energy level way more than I used to. I'm sneakin' around avoiding zombies, getting in fights with them when I have to. I'm bandaging frequently, having to keep my rag supply up. I've had to get out of the grey multiple times on a single character. I'm running into people far more weary to engage, keeping an eye on you, but going about their business. Most likely in the grey and not wanting to risk taking a single hit. I've ran into dead bodies in random places and that's something that was missing for a very long time, but happened quite frequently in the mod. It's been nice.

Less than an hour ago I came across a body that had collapsed on a dirt road running along the side of a hill, about 200-300 meters north of Psta. A dead body that was not in a major city or mil zone, that was previously unheard of. I really felt for the guy too. He was so close to his salvation, another 200 meters down the hill and he would have found 3 cans of food at a small pod of houses. If he would of just drank the 2 cans of soda he had on him(soda gives you energy too) he would of made it to the 3 cans of food and I'd most likely be the dead one.

• Like 10

Tried the same thing. Seems like the carp fillets have been removed from the time being. I know they are gonna be replaced pretty soon.

1U8whkb.gif

Im no expert, but this looks like salt water fish to me.

Im no expert, but this looks like salt water fish to me.

Yes, but it's all part of the cooking overhaul. I just shared the gif for references. The fish wasn't cooking at all in 0.53 and 0.54, now it seems it's totally gone. The fillets that is, caught carps or sardines, but trying to make fillets always end up in a small pile of guts and no fillets at all right now. 

Yes, but it's all part of the cooking overhaul. I just shared the gif for references. The fish wasn't cooking at all in 0.53 and 0.54, now it seems it's totally gone. The fillets that is, caught carps or sardines, but trying to make fillets always end up in a small pile of guts and no fillets at all right now. 

Its not cool from devs at all, I understand that loot spawns were cut down by half, especially canned food and other food items. But to deny us of cooking gear and still bugged fish, that is just not fair!! I dont know if that was intentionally. Give us hard, but fair game please!!

First time added was in 0.53 experimental.

Okay thanks for the response, I do still find it pretty weird that I have never seen it before now with my over 1100 hours in the game. I do play quite a bit and I'm pretty sure I would've found a "normal" weapon like this durring that time. BUt anyway you were very helpful thanks! :)

Okay thanks for the response, I do still find it pretty weird that I have never seen it before now with my over 1100 hours in the game. I do play quite a bit and I'm pretty sure I would've found a "normal" weapon like this durring that time. BUt anyway you were very helpful thanks! :)

Well, right now the sword and flanged mace are pretty easy to find because of the "bugged" unfinished loot tables, but prior to 0.55 they could only be found at castle. They were pretty rare. It's kinda nice to now have easy access to them to test and such, but with the infected 2.0, I've tried the sword and it was pretty useless. I though it would have more range, like it use to, and be as good as it was but not anymore. Well, all the melees will probably have an overhaul once player animations gets tweaked and updated. We'll see how it turns. Right now I'm just having a blast playing with only suppressed pistols and sneaking from village to village.  B)

• Like 1

Sword sucks! I trew away pristine fire axe for it and regreted. Same crappy damage on zeds, but we cand cut down bush with sword :( Ditched it when I found first spliting axe.

Are pistol suppresors working on zeds? I killed three in Stary/Novi Sobor and it didnt atract others. I fired more than few rounds. If they work, zombies will pay big price tonight!!

Cooking fish is not working right now. Its all over the forums.
Shoot animals, skin them and cook the works fine with a cookingpot on a stove for me.
No problem finding animals and got a lot of food.

Search the little toilet shads and deerstands/towers. There is a lot of loot in them.

Stop crying and survive out there.

• Like 2

Had you read my post within the page before his he was referencing my question about (and was nice enough to test) switching firing modes for the SMG's from full auto to semi auto.

Currently only the M4 and AK do this (I think).

As far as I know the "T" keay will work on other guns too.

The Blaze double will fire either one bullet or the two depending on which fire mode is selected.

• Like 1

So, since Friday I have been playing the crap out of .55 and while I cannot give it a thumbs up all over, the absolute triumph of this iteration is the fact that the infected move about now. You watch one for a few minutes from the outskirts of town and then scan the area to check if there are more. Look back and the guy/gal you were originally looking at has moved on to god knows where. Did he wander off into the trees? Or behind that house you were going into? Or into the bloody house?

I opened the door of a piano house yesterday in novoblahbursk (or wherever) and there were three of them farting about behind the door. Luckily I was in walk/jog mode, or I would have sprinted right into the middle of them. They're dumb so they didn't register me at first (which is great) and I backed off and closed the door. I ran across the street and waited for them to pile out after me. They couldn't because the other doors muct have been shut as well. I looked behind me (because now I'm a paranoid mess about the infected) and lo and behold, there are 4 of them racing across the field toward me.

I scarper.

In another case, up in the Northwest somewhere, I think ( I never use a map), I counted at least 20+ infected in a small town. They were all fairly well scattered. But if they were all banded together, I would have been buggered. Well, I would have, if I didn't have my patented "Infected destracting v3s truck", which they tried to pile onto.

However, the loot situation still bugs me. I have to admit I am getting a little bored milling through towns only to confirm my suspicions that a lot of items are simply not spawning in the game any more. I know it'll be sorted, but it's kind of dull at the moment.

But there are definite steps in the right direction. When hordes are introduced in a meaningful way, this game is going to go up to 11.

• Like 1

Sword sucks! I trew away pristine fire axe for it and regreted. Same crappy damage on zeds, but we cand cut down bush with sword :( Ditched it when I found first spliting axe.

Are pistol suppresors working on zeds? I killed three in Stary/Novi Sobor and it didnt atract others. I fired more than few rounds. If they work, zombies will pay big price tonight!!

I shot a few yesterday with an AKS-74u to see how that works, usually I don't shoot and lock them in. Shot unsupressed and from a little over 50 meters. Even hitting a zed in upper body did not aggro them (needed 2 body shots). Seems like they can't see you when you are a bit away, so suppression is not really a thing. Also iirc zeds are not coded to take suppressors into account, I think they only work on players.

Cooking fish is not working right now. Its all over the forums.

Shoot animals, skin them and cook the works fine with a cookingpot on a stove for me.

No problem finding animals and got a lot of food.

Search the little toilet shads and deerstands/towers. There is a lot of loot in them.

Stop crying and survive out there.

Cookingpot is the thing. And matches or flares. I have no trouble with too little food on servers that actually have loot (no idea if there are still some out there that are bugged), but I only ever found one flare, no matches, no pot, ... . Do you still have the pot and matches / flare from the old build or did you actually find both? If you found the stuff, congrats! Well, there is still apples and berries, so no one really has to starve unless he chooses to do so anyways.

• Like 1

I only see the links when I reply to your post, I only see an empty post otherwise...

EDIT: Now in my answer I only see an empty quote.... :)

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

Well, right now the sword and flanged mace are pretty easy to find because of the "bugged" unfinished loot tables, but prior to 0.55 they could only be found at castle. They were pretty rare. It's kinda nice to now have easy access to them to test and such, but with the infected 2.0, I've tried the sword and it was pretty useless. I though it would have more range, like it use to, and be as good as it was but not anymore. Well, all the melees will probably have an overhaul once player animations gets tweaked and updated. We'll see how it turns. Right now I'm just having a blast playing with only suppressed pistols and sneaking from village to village.  B)

Hah, yeah. I love killing zombies with my silenced pistols aswell. It does feel cool :)

• Like 1