boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

The Infected

• They also seem far less likely to spot you through a window

I had an infected chase me down in a town, when I had no mele weapon, except a flashlight. I ran into a house and closed the door and was hoping that it would give up. It ran over to the window and watched me through the window, and when I crept forward, it moved forward. It was really eerie, it could for sure see me in there, and was reacting to my movements. I ended up opening the door, circling around and locking her in the house instead :)

I didn't found anything about it yet, so i'd like to ask. I'm admin of a private server and i'm with some problem with the server time config.

I can only use static time, like each restart the server go back to 11:00AM or16Pm or whatever is the time i set. I'd like it to have a 24h cycle. I already tried the host support (fragnet) and they said it's with the server files and they can't do anything.

The problem to use the 24h cicle, is that everytime is night time. System +4, +8, +12, +16, +20. Everytime is night time.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or know how to fix? Or is there any dev position about this?

Thanks

Edited by hellwalker

yeap. mags included.

I found an M4 at a chopper crash today. Guess someone dropped it in favor of a Steyr, or maybe I was lucky! I have not seen any Ak74 or 101. Did you find them in the military base? I guess I'll have to check more milibases again, it's just that usually I don't find much useful gear there now. Most of all I am missing big bagpacks. I do see the occasional Green Mountain Pack or even a Tortilla Backpack, but they seem to be very rare now. One problem I have at the moment is that I have the shakes (just slightly) and need a fire to warm up. I have some road flares, but I'd really prefer if the cooking loot spawned again. 

I checked persistency on the two servers I regularly play and it seems to work now! Had a tent on one server since yesterday morning and another tent lasted through a restart on another server. Good stuff!

lol, yesterday i open the entrance of an hospital and in the hall there were like 6 zombies, i closed the door and move in the opposite direction. ;)

I'm really liking the game after the new patch, i have like 130 hours in the game and it's the first time i have no problem to find weapons and bullets.

in previous patches weapons were in high dangerous places, guarded by thousands of bandits with their super skilled mozins ;)

Now is a lot easier to find a weapon (luky those who keep the MP5 from last patch couse police station are full of MP5 mags) and ammo. Was a little bit pissed of by the rounds change for the longhorn since i found myself in a difficult situationa and after i shot the 7.72 bullet i had in the pistol before the patch i couldn't reload it because now it use the 308 rounds....well the bandit killed me so everything ended quite fast.

I also found a truck and i was able to drive it for the first time, roadkill zombies is funny!

It is harder to find food and beverages, but it also add some spicy to me. i got lucky with my last character because i found rice, 1 peaches, some beans and 3 bottles, but i died of dehidratation the previous life.

I'm drinking water from ponds and rivers like ther is no tomorrow, let's hope not to take cholera.

To me it's the best patch till now, i feel the game to be a lot more immersive.

Only downside: can't find matches for a fire, i'm gonna freeze. ;)

I had an infected chase me down in a town, when I had no mele weapon, except a flashlight. I ran into a house and closed the door and was hoping that it would give up. It ran over to the window and watched me through the window, and when I crept forward, it moved forward. It was really eerie, it could for sure see me in there, and was reacting to my movements. I ended up opening the door, circling around and locking her in the house instead :)

Simple:

1. you take a stone knife and you stab a can of beans until you get a hole in it.

2. try to open the hole with knife so you can get beans out

3. watch in horror as 70-80% of your hard earned beans spill on the ground, while you are starving to death

4. eat 12% remaining, notice no change to starving to death

5. leave lost beans on the ground for the ants, even though starving to death

1.  With a brittle sharp tip that breaks on the first hit on even a slight angle?  Or do you prefer a blunt tip that just dents at best with simple arm strength?  The amount of force and structural integrity required is not supported by a simple flaked stone blade and you would probably slice or severely bruise your hand in the process.

2.  Prying will break the blade so I guess you mean ream open a puncture some more - that's reasonable

3.  This I totally disagree with you on.  A smallish hole in the can top would allow you to control what comes out, so at worst 70 or 80 percent would be saved.  of course, bacon would be frustratingly stuck in the can

How would I do it?  A sharp stone point with a wide angle is most functional when perforating through hard materials, so the clear best solution would be to use indirect percussion.  

1. Put the can on the ground and support it firmly side to side with your feet as you sit, or set it up against a solid object.
  2. Flake the bit end of a thick, wedge-shaped stone to give it a sharp point of an angle no less than 45 degrees.  The more surface area at the start will require more force, so keep it pointed if possible
  3. Set up the wedge so it is perpendicular to the can's top with the tip pointing down - preferably along the edge
  4. Strike the top of the wedge stone with something with much mass like a dense log or another fist-sized stone.  Force must be fully transferred into the ground by the can's bottom and not lost by side-to-side slipping motion
  5. Once it punctures through set up again right next to that hole and repeat step 3 until you have at least 2/3 of the lid free
  6. Peel back the lid and serve up the yummy morsels, basking in the self satisfaction that you have outsmarted most of the average out there in the ZA.  Those fools have a single stone knife that keeps breaking on cans and cuts their hands in the process while you implemented a more intelligent 2-piece system that is reusable.

Seriously though I don't really expect anyone here to care about stone knives or flint knapping as much as I do, but for the sake of being in the position to defend, it's simply not feasible to do this with just a small stone knife.  

I'll let it go now.  I've made you all suffer enough  ;)

I do hope that stone knives get seriously nerfed durability-wise soon. It's awesome they exist but it should really be a one or two use item.

1.  With a brittle sharp tip that breaks on the first hit on even a slight angle?  Or do you prefer a blunt tip that just dents at best with simple arm strength?  The amount of force and structural integrity required is not supported by a simple flaked stone blade and you would probably slice or severely bruise your hand in the process.

2.  Prying will break the blade so I guess you mean ream open a puncture some more - that's reasonable

3.  This I totally disagree with you on.  A smallish hole in the can top would allow you to control what comes out, so at worst 70 or 80 percent would be saved.  of course, bacon would be frustratingly stuck in the can

How would I do it?  A sharp stone point with a wide angle is most functional when perforating through hard materials, so the clear best solution would be to use indirect percussion.  

• Put the can on the ground and support it firmly side to side with your feet as you sit, or set it up against a solid object.
  • Flake the bit end of a thick, wedge-shaped stone to give it a sharp point of an angle no less than 45 degrees.  The more surface area at the start will require more force, so keep it pointed if possible
  • Set up the wedge so it is perpendicular to the can's top with the tip pointing down - preferably along the edge
  • Strike the top of the wedge stone with something with much mass like a dense log or another fist-sized stone.  Force must be fully transferred into the ground by the can's bottom and not lost by side-to-side slipping motion
  • Once it punctures through set up again right next to that hole and repeat step 3 until you have at least 2/3 of the lid free
  • Peel back the lid and serve up the yummy morsels, basking in the self satisfaction that you have outsmarted most of the average out there in the ZA.  Those fools have a single stone knife that keeps breaking on cans and cuts their hands in the process while you implemented a more intelligent 2-piece system that is reusable.
Seriously though I don't really expect anyone here to care about stone knives or flint knapping as much as I do, but for the sake of being in the position to defend, it's simply not feasible to do this with just a small stone knife.  

I'll let it go now.  I've made you all suffer enough  ;)

What i love is that in a realistic survival game that opening a can of food makes some of it vanish. Do you think anyone starving to death would give a crap if some spilled on the floor?? Lol

I do hope that stone knives get seriously nerfed durability-wise soon. It's awesome they exist but it should really be a one or two use item.

At least they've made them less god-like in the mean time. I currently use them almost exclusively to gather kindling for fires :) (bark from trees, sticks from bushes).

What i love is that in a realistic survival game that opening a can of food makes some of it vanish. Do you think anyone starving to death would give a crap if some spilled on the floor?? Lol

Not realistic, authentic. The thing is balancing. You can make them easily yet you can scavange knifes in much better quality in the game. Therefore the stone knife will probably end up as the least useful knife. Well unless they introduce a wood knife... . If the stone knife performs as well as others for most uses, why even look for a better one? The one slot only thing is another advantage of the stone knife, no idea if that will stay, it should not. People should be happy when they find a real knife after all. Concerning realism, just look at how broken bones are treated in the game. Realism is not the goal.

Edited by bautschi

Yeah where's all the stuff? I've come back after a break and there's very little loot about on servers now. I was hoping to try some of the new content like farming, fishing, newer craftable items etc. However I can't find anything, two hours looking today turned up a pack of seeds a hoodie and a hacksaw. Yesterday a similar amount of searching turned up very little. Kinda been the norm for the last few days on different servers....

Is this normal now? If so how are we supposed to test anything to find bugs if very little spawns?

I just checked the MP5K. "T" doesn't seem to do anything.

What's "T"? Remember, not everyone has default keybindings, so please refer to actions, not their keys.  ;)

For example, mine is somewhat similar to Dslyecxi's:

W,S,A,D,R,LMB,MMB - as you would expect.

W+S - sprint,

X - hold breath,

W+X - vault,

Q, E - evasive left and right, respectively,

Z - prone,

C - crouch,

F - stand,

V - weapon sights toggle,

Space - raise/lower weapon toggle,

Shift - walk/run toggle,

RMB - zoom toggle,

and I look around with TrackIR and lean with my rudder pedals.

EDIT: I leave Ctrl unused, as I use it for Tactical Pace / Stance Adjust in ARMA3 and assigning it to something else in DayZ would be too confusing.

EDIT 2: Typos.  :blush:

Edited by Veyda

In other words "WHERES THE BEEF?" XD

But in more serious talk are you coast hunting? Because i do believe they want you to go inland more rather than coast hunting. You might find more the further you go in.

• Like 1

In other words "WHERES THE BEEF?" XD

But in more serious talk are you coast hunting? Because i do believe they want you to go inland more rather than coast hunting. You might find more the further you go in.

Tried the coast yes but have fared no better inland either. Seen plenty of beef tho! Cows that is, I punched one to death that got stuck by a tree, had nothing to butcher it with tho :(

Edited by Longs

Tried the coast yes but have fared no better inland either. Seen plenty of beef tho! Cows that is, I punched one to death that got stuck by a tree, had nothing to butcher it with tho :(

And when you do finally get tools you can never find a single damn cow. lol

And when you do finally get tools you can never find a single damn cow. lol

Aint that the truth! :( I really want to experiment with the farming and new crafting recipes lol

If you're coming back from a break, it is best to educate yourself on the "state of DayZ" before you go making threads. I'm not here to be a jerk, I'm just saying, this is like the millionth thread about this topic in a week's time. I'm certain you meant well enough, but surely you saw similar topics of discussion all over the place prior to clicking "Start New Topic".  :|

EDIT: Got merged anyway. Probably for the best.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

What's "T"? Remember, not everyone has default keybindings, so please refer to actions, not their keys.  ;)

-snip-

Had you read my post within the page before his he was referencing my question about (and was nice enough to test) switching firing modes for the SMG's from full auto to semi auto.

Currently only the M4 and AK do this (I think).

• Like 1

Had you read my post within the page before his he was referencing my question about (and was nice enough to test) switching firing modes for the SMG's from full auto to semi auto.

Currently only the M4 and AK do this (I think).

T is to toggle weapons, not firemodes. I used to think there must be a way to switch firemodes, too. But I have not found it. And "t" to toggle weapons doesn't work either ^^

I have had an AK and now have an M4 and I can't switch firemodes on any of them. But - like you said, the MP5 should have a single fire and automatic fire mode (probably burst too). I really need that, as I never ever use automatic fire in Arma, unless it's actually an MG I'm firing. I don't get along with the rifles and gunplay in the SA very well. I don't know why, but the shooting seems bad to me, compared to Arma 2 even. I would like to pinpoint what bothers me, but that is actually the problem; I don't know, perhaps it really is just the lack of firemodes. The only guns I like so far is the M4 and SKS. And those two pistols, the CR75 and FNX are great. The MP5 doesn't really compete on the same level as the AK or M4 and isn't intended to. It's just a better tool to shoot zombies fast; not a good PvP weapon. 

Edited by S3V3N

But - like you said, the MP5 should have a single fire and automatic fire mode (probably burst too).

Depends on which H&K MP5 variant is modeled in DayZ — there are different trigger group styles (S-F / civilian, S-E-F, Navy-variant 4-pos):

IMAG0184.jpgc4.jpg 8b024ac0e4.png

EDIT: Speaking of which, what does everyone think about implementing a 'Safe' selector position on all guns — a manual safety, as it were?..

EDIT2: Probably a bad idea, because then accidental discharges from rough handling / mishandling would need to be implemented too, otherwise there's no need for a safety.

Edited by Veyda

OK in case another person nearly reports no loot:

Not to say look harder but... I feel like I find a wide array of stuff thanks to not being stuck in familiar ways. Now I avoid going upstairs in most buildings, or skip them altogether (police stations are a good source for cuffs and uniforms...) in favor of spending time around bus stops, car crashes, piles of debris, outhouses, and water pumps.

If you look where you always have been successful before, prepare to be disappointed. Items aren't just splashed into the same areas on server reset, they will appear gradually anywhere, and the out of the way ones will be missed by unobservant players until the crafty ones think to check under that sign or in the outhouse. It feels like fallout 3 in a low population server, and feels more like what I expect from a realistic brutal wasteland on the coast in the full ones.

So find some ashwood (coast specific) and hopefully chicken feathers, get off the coast and make sure you plot your course carefully hitting a few hunting stands along the way because it might be a while before you find your first square meal and making that priority 1 is essential. 

If you're in the woods and you spot a hunting nest or feeding hut and you ignore it thinking: "Never there, I have 1000 hours on this game and not once has it been worth it to climb that ladder"... Just get out of the habit! 

On a side note: remember to keep up with crafting! Improvised knife (stone found on ground, interacted with stony ground) Can be used in any edged implement action including can opening. 

Once you've spotted some food, (animals make great early finds because they provide much needed bones to improve your arrows and make fish hooks) You'll need to cook it. This is where it's tricky and unbalanced at the moment. Flint doesn't exist yet, so you'll have to either find the matches I haven't seen once yet in .55, or a road flare, which I used to pass up until someone posted about its use in fires here. Obviously, chemical flares dont work so dont get too excited. You can get sick from consuming raw meat now, but if the choice is between that and death...

So if you do manage to kill a deer, but have no fire, at least skin it and search nearby for lime.

Tanned hides and leather repair kids can be used to fashion bottles for farming, as water bottles and rain are particularly rare now.

Basically what I'm trying to demonstrate is there are at least 3 options for dinner other than having it served to you in a bugged house packed with all the region's loot. And it's only going to get more difficult, but the limitations of the system now; (in-progress crafting substitutions, limited animal spawns, missing items, etc) will be ironed out or even replaced with more robust simulation, giving you the power to make incredible comebacks and experience heartwrenching disasters.

Good luck and don't eat the blueberries.

Edited by MotleyKoop
  • Like 1

T is to toggle weapons, not firemodes. I used to think there must be a way to switch firemodes, too. But I have not found it. And "t" to toggle weapons doesn't work either ^^

-snip-

Ok, this sounds about right for the mod to me too.

Googles found these topics which seem to say that "T" is select fire in the SA for the M4, or was at some point...?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/160360-select-fire-mode/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221100/discussions/0/648814841508762055/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209919-give-all-current-full-auto-only-weapons-the-select-fire-ability/

^From the 3rd link, last response, "I am not 100% sure of this, but I THINK I remember Hicks or someone saying they were going to add selective fire to more weapons eventually, but first they would like to implement a way to check which fire mode you are in."

Something is new today. On the easter weekend I was running land inwards and found some loot, not much, but something. Even crappy shit I left behind.

But today there's nothing. I ran 2.5 hours around, sweaped about 7 villages and towns totally and all I found was a can of Pipsi and a wrench .... nothing else, even not in any outhouse.

Not even a pink hat or something like that, which is left behind normally by everybody.

I am half geared from 0.54 ... don't wanna know how a fresh spawn feels now o_O

Does they turn the screw at the loot table? Or is there a loot explosion in a few towns like it was before on persistance on? (and I just have not found them on my servers?)

Zeds are very cool now. Dangerous but stupid. Nice!

But the loot table needs to be fixed. I am going fine with few loot, but you need to have more alternatives, like cooking meat on a stick on open fire and making fire without matches. Mandatory matches and cooking pot + tripod to cook, does not match the real survival feeling in my eyes.

Never-the-less ... good direction now, just needs a bit more fine tuning ;)

• Like 2

Something is new today. On the easter weekend I was running land inwards and found some loot, not much, but something. Even crappy shit I left behind.

But today there's nothing. I ran 2.5 hours around, sweaped about 7 villages and towns totally and all I found was a can of Pipsi and a wrench .... nothing else, even not in any outhouse.

Not even a pink hat or something like that, which is left behind normally by everybody.

I am half geared from 0.54 ... don't wanna know how a fresh spawn feels now o_O

Does they turn the screw at the loot table? Or is there a loot explosion in a few towns like it was before on persistance on? (and I just have not found them on my servers?)

Zeds are very cool now. Dangerous but stupid. Nice!

But the loot table needs to be fixed. I am going fine with few loot, but you need to have more alternatives, like cooking meat on a stick on open fire and making fire without matches. Mandatory matches and cooking pot + tripod to cook, does not match the real survival feeling in my eyes.

Never-the-less ... good direction now, just needs a bit more fine tuning ;)

Um lets see, youre wrong. You fail. You dont know how to play. this is how it should be. I find tons of loot all the time just suck it up and l2p.

Sarcasm! I feel your pain but dont bother to write anything here, the hardcore find everything everywhere so your words fall on deaf ears.

Um lets see, youre wrong. You fail. You dont know how to play. this is how it should be. I find tons of loot all the time just suck it up and l2p.

Sarcasm! I feel your pain but dont bother to write anything here, the hardcore find everything everywhere so your words fall on deaf ears.

Actually, his post is well written and doesn't stink of ignorant tears.

Found loot when patch was new on coast (intended), has trouble finding loot since (intended).

Wonders aloud from multiple angles about the loot tables and doesn't just scream, "broken".

Even appreciates the rough new infected for what they are as well.

Adds constructive insight about cooking and signs off.

His post is almost a perfect microcosm of the current patch, and that's great.

• Like 1