Sign in to follow this  
Samuri_Bake_Pie

Why snipers aren't going away

And what is the point of sniping again in a zombie survival game where skills used to keep people alive are far more important?

Sniper comes into a camp, "Hi I'm a GOOD sniper"

Survivors, "Great so what else can you do?"

"I can snipe,"

"Yeah we don't really need you but you can grab that bucket and go fetch some water if you want to help out?"

Pretty much this. :D

"No really guyz, people are afraid of me!"

"Sure thing there Hoss. Go snipe us some berries of that there bush for tonights grub."

• Like 2

and it can be silenced which the mosin currently can't I'm pretty sure.

You can but the improvised water bottle silencer explodes after one shot lol.

so you think you are going to be safe sniping from the hills because hordes wont stop sniper players. There are 2 problems with your argument

problem 1.

kjgfjcw.jpg

Problem 2.

nfgwoeO.jpg

you see, both your problems are going to be spawning and wandering around on the hills away from towns, but more than likely around sniper spots. So whats your next question, please keep it short this time

Edited by archamedes

Snipers aren't going away but they might be better balanced if the devs add the following things.

Wind = already confirmed it would be a relatively simple addition with a button displaying the players perceived wind direction and a colored arrow displaying how strong he thinks the wind is.

Mil turrets = Instead of being able to instantly fire a round to 800m by pressing page up 8 times the player must look at a range table that he prepared or that is in game for his weapon and scope combination this is particularly good due to creating potential for greater loot diversity when it comes to scopes. One scope could have limited elevation and only travel 10 mils with .5 mil increments or you could have a super high end scope that goes up 50 mils with .1 increments allowing for finer precision.

Finally the hardest to probably implement would be more realistic ballistic simulation ala Advanced ballistics mod , while the ballistic similation in Arma 3 and Dayz is already decent it leaves alot to be desired when it comes to realism.

Make these changes and two things happen.

1. Sniper numbers slowly begin to drop due to the increase realistic difficulty.

2. People stop complaining that a sniper killed him with a cheap shot as every single longer than 300m shot will require some skill and that drastically increases the longer out you go.

• Like 3

Who said snipers were going away?

Somebody somewhere evidently. I have yet to see them. I think this is another "hey guys, we're relevant!" thread. :murder:

so you think you are going to be safe sniping from the hills because hordes wont stop sniper players. There are 2 problems with your argument

problem 1.

kjgfjcw.jpg

Problem 2.

nfgwoeO.jpg

you see, both your problems are going to be spawning and wandering around on the hills away from towns, but more than likely around sniper spots. So whats your next question, please keep it short this time

To be honest, in a scenario as in DayZ I believe bears would start seeking food in towns. It is a well known fact that bears are sometimes found in inhabited areas, looking for food.

• Like 1

True, but nothing quite ruins your camper sniper habits than having a huge 600lb bear giving away your location and possibly tearing you to shreds in seconds. Because lets face it, its going to take a few shots to put one of those down and if all you are doing is scoping out a town, you won't be watching this furry train of death coming up behind you. If you do, and you are lucky to put it down, you have not only made a lot of noise, but people are going to notice something that big running after something at the top of a hill

problem 1.

kjgfjcw.jpg

Problem 2.

nfgwoeO.jpg

Bears shouldn't be attacking you though unless you pissed them off or these are like Alaskan bears which are extremely aggressive to begin with.

Get out of here with that garbage.  If it's good enough for Vasili Zaitsev and Simo Hayha, it's good enough for you.

'Sniping' isn't just firing from 1000m and running away.  

Not bashing their shooting abilities but most if not all of their kills were within 500m not clear out to 1000 with a gun that was never meant to be used as a sniper rifle. The mosin is a solid rifle for what it was made for, being dependable and getting the job done as a mass produced standard issue infantry rifle but thats about it. The only gun that should be even remotely able to reach out that far some what accurately is the M4 and thats a pretty big stretch. The mosin should be restricted to the PU scope and used as an early gun tell you get something better.

Edited by Sirwarriant12

The only gun that should be even remotely able to reach out that far some what accurately is the M4 and thats a pretty big stretch.

The M4 carbine? Are we talking in real life or Dayz? I'd have to say it does 1000m meters in neither of those.

600m tops, and thats with a fancy scope to help you out.

• Like 1

Not bashing their shooting abilities but most if not all of their kills were within 500m not clear out to 1000 with a gun that was never meant to be used as a sniper rifle. The mosin is a solid rifle for what it was made for, being dependable and getting the job done as a mass produced standard issue infantry rifle but thats about it. The only gun that should be even remotely able to reach out that far some what accurately is the M4 and thats a pretty big stretch. The mosin should be restricted to the PU scope and used as an early gun tell you get something better.

Didn't have much time to post earlier.

You're right about the range, but 'sniping' (the poaching of men) doesn't have to be at crazy long ranges.  Any rifle can be a sniper's rifle.  The M4A1 has a max effective range of 500-600m, and the Mosin 9130 is about 600m with only slightly lower FPS.  (For additional comparison, the AK-74 also has a max effective range of 500m.)  You could argue either way, but I'd stick with the bigger bullet, a more accurate action, less moving parts, and the Mosin also doubles as a spear, a club/walking stick, and firewood. :D

problem 1.

Problem 2.

A pack of wolves or brown bear are going to be very little problem to someone using DMRs or ARs with range, and even low-capacity bolt-action sniper rifles (like the Mosin currently acts as) are still better than many other weapons for dealing with animals as they use larger caliber rounds. And that's not to mention that a good portion of sniping occurs around urban areas where these animals may not spawn (wandering into them is another story, though), and often on rooftops in locations where these animals wouldn't/couldn't go.

The real threats to snipers are going to be large hordes of much more organized and deadly zombies (which will also be a tool of snipers) and much more realistic weapon functionality that makes operating such weapons more than just point-and-click. Competent playstyle and counter-sniper ability of players being shot at doesn't hurt, either, and really as long as you/your group knows what its doing avoiding snipers will not be a major problem in the future.

Bears shouldn't be attacking you though unless you pissed them off or these are like Alaskan bears which are extremely aggressive to begin with.

Even grizzly bears would most likely leave u alone.. The only bear in nature I know of which would hunt humans without a second though is a polar bear and that would be because in the environments they are used to dictate that one wants whatever one may find because it could be 2 weeks before u eat again.

First - sorry for my bad english.

i hear it's hard to be a good sniper bla bla bla :(

But where is the challenge killing someone from  1000 yards ? Wait for the perfect shot ?

Just laying down and wait to kill. I think it's not the goal in Dayz, as Dayz is a survivor game. So you have to kill threats to survive, and tell me how someone in the town in Electro is a threat for you when you are hidding in the forest far far away

Sniper is just a way to say to the world i'm the boss, but in reality you're just hidding because you're afraid by death. I know it's hard to find the good moment, etc.... but quite coward.....

[/troll]  :lol:

1 post and its a gem +1

You've just described a good survivor.

Pretty much my point tho. People need to stop looking at other players as being inherently 'good' or 'bad'. While there are certainly trolls who deliberately hunt fresh-spawns someone truly 'surviving' in this sort of scenario would be looking to get what they need at MINIMAL RISK to themselves. Good Survivors are inherently Good snipers because its all the same skill set. Observation, and if you have chosen a player as a 'mark' likely for their gear; stalking them, and carefully choosing your moment to strike from the most advantageous position possible.

I don't play as KoS, bandit (anymore), or hero. I play as a survivor. My goal - stay alive. this means choosing my contact with other players carefully, avoiding putting myself at risk when possible- and if i choose combat at a means to get supplies or gear stalking my prey for that one moment when i can strike them down clean with a minimal of fuss and noise and trying do as little damage to the gear i hope to capture as possible.

My philosophy for dayZ-

Play smart, Take the safe route, and when in doubt- wait it out.

• Like 3

Snipers aren't going away but they might be better balanced if the devs add the following things.

Wind = already confirmed it would be a relatively simple addition with a button displaying the players perceived wind direction and a colored arrow displaying how strong he thinks the wind is.

Mil turrets = Instead of being able to instantly fire a round to 800m by pressing page up 8 times the player must look at a range table that he prepared or that is in game for his weapon and scope combination this is particularly good due to creating potential for greater loot diversity when it comes to scopes. One scope could have limited elevation and only travel 10 mils with .5 mil increments or you could have a super high end scope that goes up 50 mils with .1 increments allowing for finer precision.

Finally the hardest to probably implement would be more realistic ballistic simulation ala Advanced ballistics mod , while the ballistic similation in Arma 3 and Dayz is already decent it leaves alot to be desired when it comes to realism.

Make these changes and two things happen.

1. Sniper numbers slowly begin to drop due to the increase realistic difficulty.

2. People stop complaining that a sniper killed him with a cheap shot as every single longer than 300m shot will require some skill and that drastically increases the longer out you go.

Wind plus the existing sway would be enough to make sniping the most difficult aspect of the game.  Maybe once they fix bipods, more 'manual' zeroing would add benefit.

Imagine if they just ran a full kinematics simulation for each and every shot:  Each round being of specific mass and initial velocity, its trajectory dependant on the round fired, the barrel length, spring/gas action/braking/surpressor forces involved, as well as the inclination of the barrel at the instant the round is fired.  Wind speed and direction, air resistance, and (to a lesser degree) acceleration due to gravity would be secondary to these.

I'm all for it, but I don't know enough to say if it is Improbable with the planned engine for Dayz SA. Pun intended.  Go Physics!

People are talking about trying to balance (nerf) sniping?  Really?

There's not even a proper sniper rifle in the game yet.  It takes 3 shots average to kill a geared person.  The desync and issues between stances (people doing the switch dance, people sliding around kneeling, appearing standing when you're actually prone or vis versa) as well as turn speed, general lag, limitations of the network bubble and a multitude of other stuff already assures that sniping is pretty shit.  Let's worry about hitting a target that's able to sprint and instant turn even after being hit while sliding and even "teleporting" around before having to account for wind and proper zeroing.

Don't get me wrong, those are things I'd like.  But sniping in the SA is pretty much in the worst spot it could be right now.  It doesn't need more headaches just yet.

Let's worry about getting an actual sniper rifle in the game first too, something the devs seem adamant about putting off as long as possible while either adding assault rifles or single shot pea shooters.

Edited by Bororm

I have to ask, what is pvp like on servers that are 50/50? Regular gameplay like eating, and well... walking become a desyncy mess at that stage.

I couldn't imagine trying to shoot someone and expecting anything predictable occurring. Add in the distance of sniping, and the outcomes look even more bleak.

I have to ask, what is pvp like on servers that are 50/50? Regular gameplay like eating, and well... walking become a desyncy mess at that stage.

I couldn't imagine trying to shoot someone and expecting anything predictable occurring. Add in the distance of sniping, and the outcomes look even more bleak.

It depends on the server.

Some servers handle it fine and some struggle which leads me to believe part of the problem is that the server is using terrible hardware.

People are talking about trying to balance (nerf) sniping?  Really?

Sniping definitely does not need to be nerfed more like be brought into reality when it comes to how it works.

Clicking page up 8 times to shoot someone at 800m in a few seconds is terrible.

Wind, better ballistic simulation, mil turrets and weapon resting all should work together to make sniping realistic thus more of a challenge.

Damage of the rifles that's all tied to hopefully a future injury / medical system where even a single shot to the body could mean a lethal shot even if it does not instantly drop the person.

• Like 1

Sniping definitely does not need to be nerfed more like be brought into reality when it comes to how it works.

Clicking page up 8 times to shoot someone at 800m in a few seconds is terrible.

Wind, better ballistic simulation, mil turrets and weapon resting all should work together to make sniping realistic thus more of a challenge.

Damage of the rifles that's all tied to hopefully a future injury / medical system where even a single shot to the body could mean a lethal shot even if it does not instantly drop the person.

agreed. I don't want a balanced dayZ i want a realistic one. hard things should be hard. that said, if your oblivious to your surroundings and let some numpty come up behind you with a sledge or pipewrench, well then you get insta KO'd . (im sorry either of those to the dome full-force with no headgear should be a death-sentence. the most OP thin in dayZ is and should always be situational awareness :)

I consider myself (from my dayz mod exp. also) not bad not good sniper. I have real life training, so i did few "insane" shoots ingame.

Sniping is part of the game, if you like it our not.

There are tons of videos, how bad are people with snipers in their hands. You need to understand your position, location. What is behind you, have is ahead, left and right. Shooting on 1st. sight is already a death warant. You need relax, scout, plan, check for more players and/or groups.

When i was teaching my friend how to play dayz (no joke, no trolling). He died 1st. few times to organized teams. After several fail attempts, we went thru hes mistakes and wrong doings. He actualy learned from his own mistakes. Friend camed back to ts3 after several days and told me, that training paid off. He took out several groups (3-5 guys) alone.

The point of this story is, players dont wanna learn from their mistakes and/or are doing always the same mistakes and come crying on this forum about it.

To players that wanna learn (new or old). I made a post long time ago, how to proprely play dayz mod or dayz standalone against a "solid" group: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/182184-getting-killed-by-groups-only/page-2#entry1881619

Edited by metalica24

Yea.  I like how sniping makes the OP foam at the mouth.  So much so that he disregards any form of paragraph breaks. 

Keep fightin' the good fight, sir.

/salute