roguetrooper

Flecktarn, not flecktran

Not a gamebreaker, but the word is spelled "Flecktarn", not "Flecktran" (on boonie hats).

If I had to take a guess why, I'd say it's more of a copy right issue. Same reason the Trombone is called a Trumpert.

Pretty sure the Flecktarn pattern and name is copy righted, Could be wrong though.

Edited by Preach

If I had to take a guess why, I'd say it's more of a copy right issue. Same reason the Trombone is called a Trumpert.

Pretty sure the Flecktarn pattern and name is copy righted, Could be wrong though.

"Flecktarn" is a German and is the translation of the word "Camoflage".

Yes! Finally someone agrees with me! I'm german and this bothers me everytime I see the damn thing!

Anyway, the pattern is exactly the one used by the german army, and it's called "Flecktarn" there. But, without having any deeper knowledge about that matter, I don't think the name is copy righted. It feels more like a unique name for that kind of pattern, like i.e. paisley.

So please please please file a bug report!

Edit:

@ sRacS: I don't think I ever heard camouflage translated as flecktarn before. It would probably be "Tarnung".

Edited by Peter_Honig

@ sRacS: I don't think I ever heard camouflage translated as flecktarn before. It would probably be "Tarnung".

I'm an American living in Germany (so I am no expert) but I think the literal translation is something like "spotted camoflauge".

I'm an American living in Germany (so I am no expert) but I think the literal translation is something like "spotted camoflauge".

Yes, after looking it up, flecktarn seems to be a fixed term for this kind of spotted camouflage. There are a few armys that used, or still use camouflage based on an earlier german flecktarn designs.

Still no idea about copyright issues, the gorka stuff is designed and named properly though.

So if OP hasn't filed a bug report yet, just give the word and I will.

Edited by Peter_Honig

I am pretty sure it was developed by the SS...

And I can confirm it is just a word, not a brand. Most propably a typo, a bug-report is needed.

"Flecktarn" is most likely purely descriptive - it's camouflage (Tarnung) that consists of spots (Flecken). Now the "Flecktran" (which means something like "spotted blubber") typo seems to be quite common. Maybe it's just more "natural" for English speakers.

The issue was already reported here.

Edited by Evil Minion

I can't believe no one reported this yet. It must have been in for ages.

On another note that's what I always think about the bugs I find. Haven't filed a single report in over a year of playing...

Edit: Yeah, missed Evil Minions post...

Edited by Peter_Honig

Heh, Fair enough. I'd seen Flektarn with the little c and a circle on some stuff for sale on websites, must be their error.

The more you know.

There is a LOT of grammatical mistakes and spelling errors in-game. It is rather funny to see them sometimes....