Sign in to follow this  
GhostSlayer (DayZ)

When will the Sway be fixed?

hi

im just wondering

i'm not sure if it is intentional for the ridiculous sway or not but i find its almost impossible to become completely still while using a gun anymore

and if it isn't intentional when will this be fixed? because its pretty hard to kill anybody with the weird sway 

Thanks

I think it's by design, I mean.. who can realistically hold a perfectly straight and still aim? without aid of a bipod or mounting the weapon stationary? especially after exercise such as running or even under intense fear of something ravaging you to death. Willing to bet you or anyone for that matter, would not be able to hold a steady aim.

Yes it's a game and people always use that "but games aint real life" card, that's fair enough I guess.. however in this case, on this game.. I would prefer that aiming and shooting, especially with magnified scopes to be hard to do.

• Like 1

i'm not sure if it is intentional for the ridiculous sway

This depends. Do you happen  to be cold or have a broken arm (doesn't necessarily show up as a status-effect).

If either of these are the case, then yes. It is by design.

I prefer the weapon sway with the mosin and what not. Let's be real here, mosins aren't accurate in real life. It's an old gun and not a sniper rifle, they just put a scope on it and there you go.

I figure they will make sway more realistic when they add more long range guns with scopes and just adjust accuracy of the rifle accordingly.

• Like 1

It will probably be fixed when running is fixed and people stop sprinting around all the time. Though I really hope attachments/parts will also affect sway at some point.

Edited by Evil Minion

There will always be some sway, but if it seems ridiculous that could be that you have a fractured arm and the status isn't telling you. Try morphine or applying a splint, it may actually help. The normal sway is there but it's not too bad. It's only really bad when you're injured, and the status doesn't always display when you're injured for some reason.

Let's be real here, mosins aren't accurate in real life.

Mine consistently shoots right on at 300m. If we're talking about the model, my 91/30 built in 1943 during the real big production push is an example of one that's perfectly fine. Don't parrot what you hear other people say.

VhKAxlXm.jpg

However, the double tap W that literally everyone uses to move around with is a full out "Oh shit I need to run as fast as possible" sprint. I know that standing unsupported I wouldn't be able to keep steady after sprinting like that. After sprinting really hard, going prone and bracing your supporting hand on the ground or crouching with your elbow braced on your knee you'd be very steady.

• Like 3

It won't thankfully.

If it is anything like Arma 3 the sway is only a small piece of an overall gameplay mechanic just be patient and see what else they add to mitigate the sway or you know don't sprint everywhere.

Mine consistently shoots right on at 300m. If we're talking about the model, my 91/30 built in 1943 during the real big production push is an example of one that's perfectly fine. Don't parrot what you hear other people say.

VhKAxlXm.jpg

However, the double tap W that literally everyone uses to move around with is a full out "Oh shit I need to run as fast as possible" sprint. I know that standing unsupported I wouldn't be able to keep steady after sprinting like that. After sprinting really hard, going prone and bracing your supporting hand on the ground or crouching with your elbow braced on your knee you'd be very steady.

Just because your particular mosin is accurate does not mean most are.

There is a reputation for mosins not being accurate and its a well deserved one it is due to multiple factors from the guns design, its age all the way to the inconsistent quality of military surplus ammo.

If the game were aiming for realism the mosin would be a 3-5 moa gun that brings up weapon variance as a game mechanic, having mosins vary greatly in accuracy just like they do in real life would be a good game mechanic.

Edited by gibonez

It won't thankfully.

If it is anything like Arma 3 the sway is only a small piece of an overall gameplay mechanic just be patient and see what else they add to mitigate the sway or you know don't sprint everywhere.

Just because your particular mosin is accurate does not mean most are.

There is a reputation for mosins not being accurate and its a well deserved one it is due to multiple factors from the guns design, its age all the way to the inconsistent quality of military surplus ammo.

If the game were aiming for realism the mosin would be a 3-5 moa gun that brings up weapon variance as a game mechanic, having mosins vary greatly in accuracy just like they do in real life would be a good game mechanic.

imho i think the truth is somewhere in-between. I also own a 91/30 (dated to 1939). even without any formal training (Military, law enforcement, etc) in marksmanship or weapon handling i can easily nail a man-sized target center-mass at 175-200yds firing off-hand standing. I'm also glad that you bring up the ammo, which i believe may be a significant factor in the 'reputation' for inaccuracy. a slower bullet would have a steeper arc and be more affected by environmental factors. if the mass produced ammo from the height of war production is as wildly inconsistent as the claims state that would be an enormous factor, especially at longer ranges.

It's certainly not the super-sniper-wonder-gun that many people want to think of it as perhaps in part due to many games with a piss-poor portrayal of shooting mechanics, but the exaggerated sway that at times makes me feel like my avatar is a 500lb Big-mac eating teenager who hasn't spent more then 20 mins outdoors in his life is kinda silly. I really hope we see a proper stamina system with graduated sway that gets worse the more you push your avatar. IE a quick sprint packing lightly shouldn't leave you out of breath and flailing your weapon around like your about to have a stroke, Meanwhile sway should be nearly un-controllable after 5+ minutes of running full tilt like a foot race with a heavy load of items.

I really do want more realism/authenticity over balance.

having mosins vary greatly in accuracy just like they do in real life would be a good game mechanic.

I disagree, nothing feels worse in an FPS than dying because of RNG.

• Like 1

Yes but 6 foot sway is not accurate even after a full out sprint by us iRL.

You may not hit the target at 100m fully out very well but you sure as will not have 6 foot sway or more with any gun.

You aim you still shoot and you try to catch your breath. Pin point accuracy is hard as heck, even with ski shooters.

^Agree 1000%

I honestly hate the increased dispersion on many weapons over RL mechanical accuracy. Ergonomics attachments/upgrades should only effect aiming speed and sway. optics should be a matter of preference/situation with small variance between them in time to ADS (accounting for the time it takes for the average person to acquire a proper sight picture). the actual deviation of the round from the point of aim at time of firing should be based on RL ballistics and no sight or ergonomic attachment should change that. death to RNG in combat mechanics.

having mosins vary greatly in accuracy just like they do in real life would be a good game mechanic.

Yesterday I said that having characters spawn with random allergies to foods was the stupidest idea I have heard in a long time.

This is ten times more stupid

• Like 2

Yesterday I said that having characters spawn with random allergies to foods was the stupidest idea I have heard in a long time.

This is ten times more stupid

So you are telling me every single mosin out in the world has the exact same accuracy ?

It would not be RNG it would be in the description displaying the state of the weapon and the difference between say a pristine weapon and a poor condition rifle would be a matter of only a few inches at 100 yards.

It is just a way to diversify the weapons loot in a way that is realistic. Finding a tack shooting mosin should be rare in dayz highly coveted due to the ease of finding ammo and solid accuracy.

I own a mosin myself, it shoots great for a nearly 100 yr old weapon. Now I will agree not all ammo, especially old surplus, is created equal. 

I had a broken arm yesterday I didn't realize, and the sway was awful. Splint and I was all good. It seems to me you get less sway at a crouch than standing, but I've just started to really pay attention to it recently again.

Yes but 6 foot sway is not accurate even after a full out sprint by us iRL.

You may not hit the target at 100m fully out very well but you sure as will not have 6 foot sway or more with any gun.

You aim you still shoot and you try to catch your breath. Pin point accuracy is hard as heck, even with ski shooters.

Damn straight.  In real life, I am confident that I (essentially an untrained civilian) could sprint across a field a couple of times, pick up a rifle, and make a shot on a target out to 100 yards. Will I be pinpoint-in-the-bullseye accurate? No, but I also would not be swaying around like a drunk after 6 pints at the pub.

If anything, our breathing should have more of an effect on sway, as in -up-and-down motion. 

• Like 1

I own a mosin myself, it shoots great for a nearly 100 yr old weapon. Now I will agree not all ammo, especially old surplus, is created equal. 

Yea thats the point. It shoots great for a 100 year old weapon but it not as consistent a new production weapon.

Currently in game the mosin is entirely too accurate, the mosin is about as accurate as a 4000 dollar custom bolt gun from a premier precision rifle maker like GAP.

Ideally the mosin should be 3-5 moa still plenty of accurate for a service rifle and more in line to what it does in real life while no longer sub moa like it is now.

I guess they will fix the sway later. Right now it just resembles parkinsons or being extremely drunk.

It's probably there to keep our fast running speed from turning us into unreal tournament warriors. The guys that sprint are hard to hit but can't aim. The slow moving guys are easy to hit but can actually aim. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

With more dangerous zombies in larger numbers, sprinting won't be as viable as a combat strategy as it is now. Just take it slow and the in game sway will work to your advantage.

It's probably there to keep our fast running speed from turning us into unreal tournament warriors. The guys that sprint are hard to hit but can't aim. The slow moving guys are easy to hit but can actually aim. Seems like a fair trade off to me.

With more dangerous zombies in larger numbers, sprinting won't be as viable as a combat strategy as it is now. Just take it slow and the in game sway will work to your advantage.

Well the problem is that in practice it doesn't end up that way.

In practice the guy sprinting, just sprints up to the slow guy and blows him away because it's so hard to hit a sprinting target.

The other factor is that even with a ton of sway, using a 60 or 75 round mag or one of the shotguns fairly negates it because you just spray them down and as long as a few rounds connect you're in good shape.

DayZ pvp currently is highly movement based, and standing still or moving slow gets you killed the majority of the time.  I'm not saying it never ever works, but for the most part that's how fights play out, they're very close and very fast or else you're sniping with a mosin.

High zombie numbers aren't going to change that, you're just going to want to run around even more.

Edited by Bororm

Yea thats the point. It shoots great for a 100 year old weapon but it not as consistent a new production weapon.

Currently in game the mosin is entirely too accurate, the mosin is about as accurate as a 4000 dollar custom bolt gun from a premier precision rifle maker like GAP.

Ideally the mosin should be 3-5 moa still plenty of accurate for a service rifle and more in line to what it does in real life while no longer sub moa like it is now.

The mosin was actually weapon of choice for quite a few snipers in WW2 (not western forces) and of course there is going to be variation between trigger/bore/bolt action out of any guns but I thought that is what the weapon condition in game covered.   If you think technology and age are the main determining factor for any weapons accuracy your definitely mistaken.

High zombie numbers aren't going to change that, you're just going to want to run around even more.

And become surrounded by zombies and made an even easier target. Or you bleed, and have to stop to bandage after killing the zombies. All the while the stealthy guy calmly watches and waits for his moment to strike. These high profile pitched battles in empty cities won't be the norm forever. I suspect engagements will be much quicker in the future as zombies more and more will be crashing the party,

The mosin was actually weapon of choice for quite a few snipers in WW2 (not western forces) and of course there is going to be variation between trigger/bore/bolt action out of any guns but I thought that is what the weapon condition in game covered.   If you think technology and age are the main determining factor for any weapons accuracy your definitely mistaken.

Not a weapon a choice but merely the best the soviets had at the time for that role.

Even back then with a pristine mosin the other bolt action rifles involved in the conflict were all more accurate than the mosin even the Arisakka.

Accuracy is consistency, due to the mosins inconsistent machining process over the years, inconsistent quality and variety of military surplus ammo and inconsistent pressure points on the barrel because of the stock you end up with a weapon system that overall is not really accurate.

Age has only a tiny bit to do with the Mosin nagants accuracy but the design of the rifle and quality of military surplus ammo do.

Another thread detailed into a weapon authenticity vs reality argument... Nice

The idea that you can find two identical weapons in the game and have one of them perform randomly greatly worse than the other one is a shitty game mechanic that has no place in DayZ.