Sign in to follow this  
GhostSlayer (DayZ)

why doesn't the bipod fit on the mosion?!

For 16.00 us id be carrying one of these

bipod_cnaba.jpg

Only if adding this type of bipod also severely decreases accuracy due to creating yet another pressure point on the barrel and screwing up the harmonics.

Only if adding this type of bipod also severely decreases accuracy due to creating yet another pressure point on the barrel and screwing up the harmonics.

I saw a video how well the gun shoots, I agree it might be very difficult to have a bipod work on it. I do not own one, but would be nice to get one in the future.

We have no need for guns in Canada, other then hunting. This one might be a good gun to use.

Hate to break it to you guys, but the bipod in DayZ doesn't negate sway :P. It makes the weapon more accurate, which the Mosin is already 100% (not including bullet drop) with the compensator due to what we have as placeholder config values, so installing a bipod on it would give you no benefits at all. :P

That and SVD is coming, plus I assume a rework to increase the magnification provided by various scopes we have in the game.

Edited by retro19

Hate to break it to you guys, but the bipod in DayZ doesn't negate sway :P. It makes the weapon more accurate, which the Mosin is already 100% (not including bullet drop) with the compensator due to what we have as placeholder config values, so installing a bipod on it would give you no benefits at all. :P

That and SVD is coming, plus I assume a rework to increase the magnification provided by various scopes we have in the game.

SVD would not mount the bipod either.

It shouldn't negate sway entirely but it should minimize it.

I think the real issue here is everyone thinks making the mosin use the bipod again just fills servers with snipers...which is not the case.

Using a bipod to snipe forces players to lay down to use it which just makes them static targets to be flanked.

SVD would not mount the bipod either.

I was rather trying to appeal to those saying that DayZ needs a proper sniper rifle, and it's getting one. Speaking of the matter, it is very probable that it will get its own bipod. And it's very probable it still won't negate sway as well with its first implementation.

It shouldn't negate sway entirely but it should minimize it.

I think the real issue here is everyone thinks making the mosin use the bipod again just fills servers with snipers...which is not the case.

Using a bipod to snipe forces players to lay down to use it which just makes them static targets to be flanked.

It should, but it doesn't. At least not right now.

I'm not saying this to undermine the value of this conversation. I just noticed from some of the posts that some people around here may not be aware of the state of things regarding the bipod's functionality in this stage of the development and are asking for a placebo.

Edited by retro19

I was rather trying to appeal to those saying that DayZ needs a proper sniper rifle, and it's getting one. Speaking of the matter, it is very probable that it will get its own bipod. And it's very probable it still won't negate sway as well with its first implementation.

I probably envision Arma 3s weapon resting being adopted making a bipod not as needed.

The new model 70 will use the bipod as would many of the other hunting rifles that are coming.

For now I can call the sway a stop gap measure for lack of atmospheric effects on bullet impact as well as lack of proper bullet  dispersion effect based upon firearm and munitions condition. After everything is in place though if it remains then it can only be called taking the easy or lazy way out. Chernarus is a very windy/rainy virtual map and those conditions in reality are quite a challenge to long range shooters. Time will tell how things turn out for Dayz I guess.  As Retro19 stated,in it's current format the Mosin gains nothing from a bipod at the moment and once other full caliber bolt actions make their way into Dayz I hope the Mosin is relegated to the position of Dinner Bell.

Edited by Bushmaster14

Let's not hate on the mosin too much. Sure it shouldn't have a bipod and it's by no means a modern rifle or the equivalent of one (and shouldn't have the LRS in game) but it served quite well in the role of a sniper weapon for a good part of the early 20th century.

What's arma3 weapon resting? I'm no marksman but go out popping of St the range with my family a few times a year. I shake like a leaf from years of drinking and drugs and the game's sway mechanics look like when I shoot "free". There's always a bench or post or whatever I can brace against though and my IRL sway goes away.

I totaly agree with you, BUT. Most people are not weapon professionals or even enthusiasts.

For EXAMPLE, we now have The Derringer in the game.

Talk about breaking immersion. In what scenario would this gun be present in post-soviet country?

So, I am all for realistic sniper rifles, but until then, give back the only one we have.

Bipoded Mosin.

:P

Your reasoning is terrible, its 2015 in game too, Derringer could easily be in Russia, have you ever been to Russia?

We have no need for guns in Canada, other then hunting. This one might be a good gun to use.

Where do you live? If you're near Edmonton I'll take you shooting and we'll see if you change your mind.

It doesn't have to be a NEED. Shooting is a very fun hobby.

DrRrBMNh.jpg

• Like 1

You have no clue what you are talking about... A gun doesn't need a rail system in-order to add a Bipod... This isn't Call of Duty or Battlefield.

The ATLAS Bipod (ingame model) does.

I was talking about real life, not the game.

All rifles in real life need a rail to mount a rail mounted bipod like the Atlas.

http://www.accu-shot.com/Atlas_Bipods.php

They all need a rail.

Anthony, don't come out with an aggressive tone, especially when you are wrong. It's just poor form.

Because you cant mount a railed bipod on a 100 year old bolt gun.

The mosin is also not a sniper weapon or even a precision rifle.

The mosin is a 100 year old service rifle from a completely different era, a rifle that is extremely rugged and reliable but anything but accurate due to some fundamental problems that lead to inconsistency accross multiple areas.

Everything about the mosin leads to inconsistent performance thus bad accuracy everything from pressure points on the stock that by the way would be even more pronounced with added pressure of a bipod, to a poor gritty trigger, to the inconsistent quality of the rifling , to the oversized bore and finally the biggest culprit the wildly inconsistent military surplus ammo that feeds the mosin that can vary in muzzle velocity by as much as 300 fps on a single batch of ammunition leading to a huge variance in points of impact.

Can we please let go of this notion that the Mosin nagant is an accurate super precise sniper rifle. The mosin nagant was not accurate or precise but it just so happened to be the most precise and accurate the Russians had at the time and that is not saying much.

Here we go again... The K98 Mauser can shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Modern rifles shoot with or within 1 inch groups. The Mosin shoots within 2-3 inch groups. It is not an inaccurate rifle by any means, and can get the job done with a tiny bit less accuracy than other rifles. Furthermore, there are many mosins that can shoot 3-4 inch groups at 500 yards.

Where do you live? If you're near Edmonton I'll take you shooting and we'll see if you change your mind.

DrRrBMNh.jpg

Can you list the weapons at that pic from top to bottom? I see a mosin but the rest, meh. Wait, is that an SKS above the mosin?

Edited by Yazar8

Here we go again... The K98 Mauser can shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards. Modern rifles shoot with or within 1 inch groups. The Mosin shoots within 2-3 inch groups. It is not an inaccurate rifle by any means, and can get the job done with a tiny bit less accuracy than other rifles. Furthermore, there are many mosins that can shoot 3-4 inch groups at 500 yards.

When a factory brand new m4a1 is only grouping anywhere from 2-4 moa It makes zero sense for a 100 year old rifle with variable , questionable build quality and notoriously poor ammo to be grouping anywhere near that.

Key word here is many I think sure you can find some mosins that are accurate but the vast majority are inaccurate due to countless factors ranging from build quality, bore quality, age, and probably most importantly the varying quality of military surplus ammo.

From a single batch surplus ammo your muzzle velocity can be wildly different this results in huge shifts in point of impact at a target that only increases as you stretch the rifle out further.

accuracy = consistency and mosins are not that.

DrRrBMNh.jpg

I wish I was out west again, Live in Ontario. I love Alberta, BC some day ill retire there I said.

Southwest Ontario really doesn't have all that much :(

Are those your guns? would love to test those baby's out. Especially the one in the center hehe

would be nice if half the mechanics in dayz worked the way it is suppose to be. After playing Arma 3, with mods I am happy to say its filling my void of special effects. I cant wait for dayz to be completed, as long as it isn't boring. I would play WarZ, infestation for that pleasure. :(

When a factory brand new m4a1 is only grouping anywhere from 2-4 moa It makes zero sense for a 100 year old rifle with variable , questionable build quality and notoriously poor ammo to be grouping anywhere near that.

Key word here is many I think sure you can find some mosins that are accurate but the vast majority are inaccurate due to countless factors ranging from build quality, bore quality, age, and probably most importantly the varying quality of military surplus ammo.

From a single batch surplus ammo your muzzle velocity can be wildly different this results in huge shifts in point of impact at a target that only increases as you stretch the rifle out further.

The accuracy was:

Iron sights = 3.60" (at 100 yards)

PU scope = 3.24"

LR scope = 2.70"

Iron sights + comp = 2.70"

PU scope = 3.24" = 2.34"

LR scope + comp = 1.80"

It's acceptable values except for the effects of that stupid compensator. One could argue it's slightly too inaccurate or the opposite but there are millions of Mosins all different and you wouldn't notice the effects in-game anyways. And generally speaking the dispersion values for most weapons are now better here than in ArmA 2. Remember the Mosin was 9" @ 100 yd when first introduced (and zero dispersion with comp).

M4a1's have a much shorter barrel and a much less powerful round and are built to be automatic, it isn't comparable with the Mosin. The only pressure points on the barrel are from the barrel bands, which are very easily adjusted. After that, the quality of the bore is the only concern. I've looked over 100's of Mosins, and only around 4 or 5 had terrible/rusted rifling. Sights can also play a factor, but you have to sight every gun in after awhile so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Well my guess would be because the mosin doesnt support bipods. Its from 1891 so yeh. Its a matter of time before the long range will not fit anymore too... *sadu facu*

Yep 0.56 will be the day where you say Good bye to LRS but they said they will add a hunting scope and it should fit the mozin

Can you list the weapons at that pic from top to bottom? I see a mosin but the rest, meh. Wait, is that an SKS above the mosin?

AVS-36, (should have looked closer) SVT-40,  Schmidt-Ruben K-31, Mo-Nag 91/30, and an M-14.  Not my collection there, but I do have both of the bolt action rifles.

The K-31 is my favorite.  With a straight-pull bolt, and detachable six round magazine, this rifle was likely the best of it's class at the time.  Much more consistent than the Mosin, and those GP-11 rounds are just gorgeous.  I could consistently hit 16 oz beer cans from around 500 feet, while prone.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

M4a1's have a much shorter barrel and a much less powerful round and are built to be automatic, it isn't comparable with the Mosin. The only pressure points on the barrel are from the barrel bands, which are very easily adjusted. After that, the quality of the bore is the only concern. I've looked over 100's of Mosins, and only around 4 or 5 had terrible/rusted rifling. Sights can also play a factor, but you have to sight every gun in after awhile so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Ok first off Barrel length has zero correlation with accuracy only muzzle velocity. You can have a rifle with a 30 inch barre and one with a 10 inch one and the 10 inch rifle and chances are the 10 inch rifle will be the more accurate rifle due to the rigidity of the barrel.

The m4a1 is also not built to around being automatic, it fires from a closed bolt so any accuracy loss because of firing from an open bolt is non existent.

As far as bore quality that is exactly what I am saying, it varies tremendously with mosins, you can get an amazing specimen or you can get a busted up one its pure luck. Even then you will always be hampered by the low quality of military surplus ammo that mosins fire in game.

Having the mosin nagant fire anything under 5 moa in game is not believeable. It should be a 5 to 7 moa rifle.