Sign in to follow this  
irl-calibre

in defence of FOV slider

I see what your saying, yes it zooms out.

I set mine to less then 25%, roughly to the bottom of my toons backside. That is ideal for me to run with. Anymore and I start to get a headache.

Any less and I feel closed in, like in 1st person. Many of us have ran in 3rd person mode for years with video games.

So what I said before about adjusting it so when you come closer to a fence the more it closes in. This way players wont adjust the slider to exploit the FOV which we all know you cant normally see over a fence or house.

So I do agree but on the other hand I feel if you change it to hinder me, I just wont play the game. I think it can be fixed in the programming.

I play on a WSG rig and and play 1st person only, having this slider in game once was nice. I look at my feet open the menu and slid it in and out until it gave me the same view I have when I stand up (IRL) and look at my feet. I set it so I can see my collar and my shoulders in my periphery, closed , done. I guess I should remember what I set it at if they change this. As far as exploits though what do people think of the fact that Walmart had a sale on 32" TVs, I bought 3 and have 180° fov in 1pp? I run along the treelines and such at 45° and can see "over my shoulder" behind myself with a flick of my eyes just like real life. 

i don't think people really care what FOV you run at, that's your perogative.  The issue lies in the ability to change it on the fly to gain leverage over people when you should really just be playing the damn game and not fiddling with your settings every time you see motion.

• Like 4

Ticked off about the reduction in zoom in 0.55 EXP. That makes it the third time zoom's been reduced.

Now, even if you "abuse" the FOV slider to get maximum magnification, you will still have less zoom than you did by default in DayZ Mod/ARMA 2.

IMO, this does not feel like it accurately represents human vision. I don't like this slider but unless they give us back somewhat appropriate values for character eyesight I might change my tune on this. 

My EXP character seems like he needs glasses (unless he's aiming down sights or driving a V3S, in which case he gets a large increase to his zoom).  <_< 

Ticked off about the reduction in zoom in 0.55 EXP. That makes it the third time zoom's been reduced.

Now, even if you "abuse" the FOV slider to get maximum magnification, you will still have less zoom than you did by default in DayZ Mod/ARMA 2.

IMO, this does not feel like it accurately represents human vision. I don't like this slider but unless they give us back somewhat appropriate values for character eyesight I might change my tune on this. 

My EXP character seems like he needs glasses (unless he's aiming down sights or driving a V3S, in which case he gets a large increase to his zoom).  <_< 

I suspect the change is to make the lower visible view distance of Standalone vs arma 3  not be as apparent.

I suspect the change is to make the lower visible view distance of Standalone vs arma 3  not be as apparent.

That's a really bad excuse if it's right, considering we've had the same view distance since the beginning of the game and it never really seemed problematic before.

Who knows. Few people need to see past 1000 m with bare eyes anyways and there are few spots with such lines of sight.

Could just be someone on the dev team thinks the zoom is "eagle eyes". For OFP there was the WGL 'improved realism' mod that removed zoom entirely because it was an "unrealistic ability".  <_< Maybe the devs want to place more importance on binoculars and scopes (*cough* hello FOV slider *cough*). Maybe they want to make zoom feel more responsive by chopping the amount. But I can't think of any actual good reasons.

I also don't think many players will complain, since a lot of people think the zoom is "unrealistic", aren't used to games with zoom so won't miss it... but most of all simply won't notice because they'll think that they're looking at objects and people that are 300 meters away when they're actually only 150.

That's a really bad excuse if it's right, considering we've had the same view distance since the beginning of the game and it never really seemed problematic before.

Since the mod really. You couldn't see people past 1000-1100m in any official servers due to fog.

The only tinkering with the zoom should be to try and best mimic normal human vision. Not for 'balancing' purposes or other nonsense.

• Like 1

If FOV slider was set so it requires game restart/server reconnect, snipers will still abuse it. The FOV slider value itself should be decreased, along with the requirement of restart. I know people like to play with like 0.3 of the slider, I'm at 0.4, some need more vision (but 1.0 is simply too extreme and looks bad, like alien vision of sort). Something like between 0.2 and 0.6 would do fine I think. Vertical FOV should also be locked (check my sig) because it makes no sense for example for one person to see the buttsock of their AKM while another only sees the handguard and up (meh example).

Edited by Powerhouse

A Borg zoom eye implant is silly in this game. People who complain about it are not angry about losing some freedom of choice but to lose an unrealistic zoom feature. In RL you also live with a fixed FoV and you can't zoom in or out. When you need to reconnect to a server to have a FoV change take effect, it's ok, but on the fly it's just silly.

A Borg zoom eye implant is silly in this game. People who complain about it are not angry about losing some freedom of choice but to lose an unrealistic zoom feature. In RL you also live with a fixed FoV and you can't zoom in or out. When you need to reconnect to a server to have a FoV change take effect, it's ok, but on the fly it's just silly.

Resistance is futile.

Although yeah, FOV should probably require a server change.

FOV changes should only be able to be made at the login screen where you get a preview of your avatar. The fact that it's still possible to do it in-game on the fly in about two seconds (when you get good at it) is borderline mind-blowing.

Turning a mid-range scope like the PU into a LRS with the aid of an in-game setting is enough proof that this needs to be fixed.

/thread

• Like 1

In real life in real life in real life.... ya, we all have eyes not screens with diff. graphic settings based on our rig IRL.

We all have diff. FPS and a different screen. To make it short, i think it's a silly comparison.

If you really wanna make it fair, FOV should be limited depending on your native resolution.

I play on two different monitors. One's 24'' and the other one is 15''. Go figure at how much disadvantage i am at the later if i try to snipe @ 900m.

You cant miss me on 24''. If that's the difference between life and death, don't expect me to follow your FOV "rules" and give you such an easy advantage.

It's not gonna happen.

Edited by halp

You need a FoV option as the best FoV greatly depends on your screen and the distance to it. If your FoV does not match your screen/distance you might even feel sick because of it.

FOV changes should only be able to be made at the login screen where you get a preview of your avatar.

This. Changing FoV on the fly only serves exploiting especially as it also changes the zoom factor - something it should not do in the first place as it makes judging distances and using reticles to do so pretty difficult. The impact on zoom should be removed. This might even void the need to remove the ingame slider.

At default FOV, without even using the FOV slider, one can play with FOVs of 53, 94, and 106 degrees (zoom in, no zoom, zoom out). 

I think that's the way it should be, when in zoom in the FOV should be around 50º (focal length around 50 matches to the human eye.)

I think the FOV should be restricted to a minimum of 50º as a lower FOV than that will allow us to see the objects closer/bigger than it should be giving the player an unfair advantage.

Dayz is an online game, game configurations should be as equal as possible between players for avoiding advantages between them (remove grass, remove headbob, remove shadows, remove post effects for avoiding blurriness, distance vision, FOV, etc options should be avoided/limited so players doesn't activate/desactivate it for gaining advantage over other players)

There is no defending the ability to set FoV and Gamma on the fly, they're both open to exploitation and both are near universally exploited.

I have not heard a single valid argument against a simple screen configuration utility which launched the first time the game was run to assist people in correctly setting gamma & FoV for their screens while removing the abuse inherent in the current system of on the fly adjustment through menus.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit