Exiled_Soul

Barret 50. cal?

You are wrong. Any designated Marksmen unit will have one. Not as much as M24s but my unit alone has eight. EOD units keep M107s in use for utility purposes. That being said I don't want to see it in game as I doubt they would portray it accurately and instead be an end tier sniper rifle.

Well of course there are some but I mean proportionally there isn't a whole lot of them compared to other weapons systems. It is a relatively niche weapons platform with limited utility.

All I am saying is the likely hood of finding one in Chenarus would not be high lower when you consider it is nowhere near as bountiful as other weapons that themselves are already rare to find in Chenarus.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

I remember it being asked before and if my memory serves me well then the .50 is not out of the question, but will be much later when the economy system is finished so the numbers can be limited. I also remember is being said that if it happens then they will come with a huge downside like weight and mobility limitations, plus it would be a bolt action like the Tac-50 or something similar.

I think it's a mistake if they don't add some very rare high end weapons like that.  It is something to constantly be on the look out for, and gives you reason to continue to search even after you're kitted out.

If a .50 cal was as rare as the aug or sword is currently, even that would be good enough.  I've seen like less than 5 augs and maybe one sword since they've been implemented and pretty actively search for them/encounter a ton of players.  Even the svd would be fine at current aug levels, which is why waiting for the loot economy for it sorta sucks. 

In regards to server hopping, just play a private shard.  Problem solved.

There's no reason not to include these types of weapons as long as they are limited.  Besides, with the current ridiculous damage soak you'd probably be able to tank 3 shots as long as you were wearing your t shirt and holster any ways =P

Edited by Bororm

Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that an anti-material weapon in the first place? Im sure you can drop infected/survivors with it as well, but i think that if they ever implement this weapon, they should configure it in such a way that it should be mainly used for exactly that purpose : Taking down people inside vehicles, or the vehicles themselves...

They can do this by presenting better alternatives for marksmen and sniping, and by adding obvious disadvantages for carrying such a weapon : slower movement speed, increased fatigue, rare ammunition...

Anyway,  i can probably name over 20 weapons (both civilian and military) that are for more realistic to add, before even thinking about a .50 Barret. And that list can include one of the many Russian anti-material rifles... So i dont think this should be a priority. Imho they need to first diversify the low tier firearms found in civilian locations, before thinking about military weapons.

Anyway, anybody can come up with lists of weapons. It all stands or falls on the loot economy. This NEEDS to work.... it should be a perfect mix of diversity, realism and game balance.

Edited by nillie

No, we don't now and so far have heard to plans for it.

And hope it stays that way..

I doubt there will ever be such a weapon in DayZ. Try the Deringer B)

The pink one!

They are just being fucking douchebags. Suprisingly, this forum has an assload of them.

All he said was stop - you, however, have a huge chip on your shoulder.

You are wrong. Any designated Marksmen unit will have one. Not as much as M24s but my unit alone has eight. EOD units keep M107s in use for utility purposes. That being said I don't want to see it in game as I doubt they would portray it accurately and instead be an end tier sniper rifle.

Interesting - can you go into more detail on how you think it should be modeled?

Stop what? Asking questions about a game on a game forum?

This forum is truly the worst community I have ever encountered regarding game questions.

So many of you elitist tools here, my god.

so you havent been to the BF3 forums to make such an accuse ( they dont call it forumfield for nothing) 

or the IL2 Sturmvoik forums HOME of the true elitist and nerds ! 

this here is like a kindergarden full of love and happyness.

btw dragunov and emr and maybe two more boltaction rifles ( .338 lapua ) and thats it 

Edited by Munson_fry

Hello there

I have no issues with an anti materiel rifle making it in game.

but, it would have to have some serious caveats.

Heavy weight, huge ammo, etc etc.

Id like to see a more obscure make also.

Rgds

LoK

Interesting - can you go into more detail on how you think it should be modeled?

It is the heaviest non crew served small arm in the inventory. It would prevent you from being able to run a full sprint even when it is slung. It would only be fired accurately when prone, the only other option would be from the hip with no sight picture. When firing prone it would kick up a very large amount of dirt, exposing you. It should be less accurate than any other contemporary military sniper rifle such as the M24,M40 or M2010, most people think "it's .50, so it must be accurate" but every designated marksmen I've talked to claims they can archive much better results with a 7.62 rifle, or in the case of the M2010, .300WM. Engaging with it should be a pain in the ass, having to require your target after every firing should be noticeably more difficult than with a 7.62 sniper rifle. Lastly the only item needed to repair it should be a hammer as armorers reshape the frame with a mallet when it becomes disfigured, the most common deficiency that will deadline it. It is a large, heavy girl, but very simple when it comes to design and repairs.

• Like 1

USMC marksmen use the MK12 right? :|

And sniper teams use the M24 right, not marksmen? Confused.

Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that an anti-material weapon in the first place? Im sure you can drop infected/survivors with it as well, but i think that if they ever implement this weapon, they should configure it in such a way that it should be mainly used for exactly that purpose : Taking down people inside vehicles, or the vehicles themselves...

They can do this by presenting better alternatives for marksmen and sniping, and by adding obvious disadvantages for carrying such a weapon : slower movement speed, increased fatigue, rare ammunition...

Anyway,  i can probably name over 20 weapons (both civilian and military) that are for more realistic to add, before even thinking about a .50 Barret. And that list can include one of the many Russian anti-material rifles... So i dont think this should be a priority. Imho they need to first diversify the low tier firearms found in civilian locations, before thinking about military weapons.

Anyway, anybody can come up with lists of weapons. It all stands or falls on the loot economy. This NEEDS to work.... it should be a perfect mix of diversity, realism and game balance.

Look no further for your authentic anti-material rifle, with caveats.  

The PTRD:

14.5mm Russian anti-aircraft barrels had been fitted into a single-shot anti-tank rifle during World War 2 era.  Weighing in at  around 17 Kg, it could require two men to carry, the barrel and receiver separating for transport. and the best part is NO MAGAZINE.  Meaning if you really wanna take out that V3S, you better do it right on the first try, or risk losing your badass man-cannon and the rest of your gear in the huge puff of smoke and dust that you created.

Rather than a military spawn, these babys should only be found in the private stashes of the rural veteran-turned-farmer.  Maybe in a big box hidden under one of those second floor haystacks in the barns with stairs; requires a pitchfork to uncover and spawns in damaged to badly damaged condition.  Ammunition would have to be re-manufactured from demilitarized rounds found as kitsch throughout the map.

Edit: Refer to orlok's post above.  That is the criteria I used when suggesting this weapon.

Edited by emuthreat

Stop. Just stop. 

Why not?

Why not allow the .50 cal during Alpha and then at launch of the finished game then remove.

My reasoning is that even a .50 cal is not as effective as esp, aimbot, or teleporting so there is no logic to avoid the .50 cal because it would be unfair.   

Until esp, aimbot and teleporting is impossible on a public server, there should be no weapon that is off limits.

Otherwise, all the legitimate players are the only ones with no good weapons.   Maybe a serious weapon will help even the playing field for a little fun.   Then remove the crazy guns at launch of the official game when the new engine works.

Edited by cheranuscrusiser

It would have to take the place of our backpack to be balanced. You would also need to not be able to sprint while holding it. 5 rounds would take up one slot. Would need to spawn in multiple parts. Would need to spawn zombie horde when fired. It would blow the game open and make vehicles a non factor when holding one. My vote is no.

If you really think that uber cool 3l1t3 sniper weapons need to be in here, you dont understand the game.

I always wonder where the fascination for such items come from. Watched too many movies? Bigger calibre, long/heavy rifle=better? That just makes me sad.

Nothing will be super rare as long as server hopping is allowed.

Edited by Caboose187

USMC marksmen use the MK12 right? :|

And sniper teams use the M24 right, not marksmen? Confused.

Sorry, I'm not a marine. From what I know they use the M40. The Army and Air Force use the M24 for the most part, while the M2010 seems to be it's replacement. Marksmen, snipers and counter snipers train on the M24 while in some instances they may find themselves using something like the M14 EBR, M110 or the M107.

Sorry, I'm not a marine. From what I know they use the M40. The Army and Air Force use the M24 for the most part, while the M2010 seems to be it's replacement. Marksmen, snipers and counter snipers train on the M24 while in some instances they may find themselves using something like the M14 EBR, M110 or the M107.

Ahhhh okay. Thanks.

I'm actually positive in a 50 cal sniper rifle additon.
Granted that it's rare loot on heli spawns and replaces our back bag slot.

If i were to make a suggestion on the model,it would probably be the Barret MB2 (or M107).

Entered service in 1984 and was originally designed for the U.S Army.

Barret_M82_DA-ST-92-07336.jpg

Look no further for your authentic anti-material rifle, with caveats.  

The PTRD:

14.5mm Russian anti-aircraft barrels had been fitted into a single-shot anti-tank rifle during World War 2 era.  Weighing in at  around 17 Kg, it could require two men to carry, the barrel and receiver separating for transport. and the best part is NO MAGAZINE.  Meaning if you really wanna take out that V3S, you better do it right on the first try, or risk losing your badass man-cannon and the rest of your gear in the huge puff of smoke and dust that you created.

Rather than a military spawn, these babys should only be found in the private stashes of the rural veteran-turned-farmer.  Maybe in a big box hideden under one of those second floor haystacks in the barns with stairs; requires a pitchfork to uncover and spawns in damaged to badly damaged condition.  Ammunition would have to be re-manufactured from demilitarized rounds found as kitsch throughout the map.

This would make it the most pointless and useless gun in the game.

You could just shoot the driver out with a Mosin at that point.

Edited by Carmelo Anthony

This would make it the most pointless and useless gun in the game.

You could just shoot the driver out with a Mosin at that point.

That is the entire point.

It is a crew served weapon with the ability to destroy a vehicles engine in 1 shot or penetrate even the thickets of bases or fortifications not some 360 no scope gun that you can jump spin prone headshot some guy.

• Like 1

If you really think that uber cool 3l1t3 sniper weapons need to be in here, you dont understand the game.

I always wonder where the fascination for such items come from. Watched too many movies? Bigger calibre, long/heavy rifle=better? That just makes me sad.

But you can also still understand the game and want more than just arrows and spears.

There is nothing sad about wanting better weapons than WW2 or civilian guns. Everyone has different preferences in the game. Thats why the game has such a big following in the first place is the diversity of ppl even if you don't like there viewpoint on what should be in the game.

Even if it does not get added in ppl will make one available via modding anyways. With a whole slew of other guns and calibers.

• Like 1