Exiled_Soul

Barret 50. cal?

If i were to make a suggestion on the model,it would probably be the Barret MB2 (or M107).

Entered service in 1984 and was originally designed for the U.S Army.

Barret_M82_DA-ST-92-07336.jpg

The M107 is on my top list.

But i will probably be using the Winchester Alaskan allot and i would LOVE to see them put in a Blaser R93 until they finally put in the .50 caliber guns.

Blaser_R93_5.jpg

• Like 1

The M107 is on my top list.

But i will probably be using the Winchester Alaskan allot and i would LOVE to see them put in a Blaser R93 until they finally put in the .50 caliber guns.

You know what else would be cool and fit the setting?

The Zastava M93 Black Arrow .

Originated from Serbia,it was designed in 1993 and produced in 1998.

Sniper_Zastava_M93.jpg

eaazastavablackarrow_0.jpg
  • Like 1

I really think with some of the more modern sniper weapons we SHOULD be able to take them apart and put them in our backpack if need be. Allot of the the designs nowadays can be taken apart and put in briefcases and such. I know that would take allot of work on the developers part but it would maybe make hunting for the gun in GENERAL much harder as well as finding it more worthwhile than lets say carrying a normal gun on your back since it has more portable options like with AK 74U.

Edited by Deathlove

Look no further for your authentic anti-material rifle, with caveats.  

The PTRD:

14.5mm Russian anti-aircraft barrels had been fitted into a single-shot anti-tank rifle during World War 2 era.  Weighing in at  around 17 Kg, it could require two men to carry, the barrel and receiver separating for transport. and the best part is NO MAGAZINE.  Meaning if you really wanna take out that V3S, you better do it right on the first try, or risk losing your badass man-cannon and the rest of your gear in the huge puff of smoke and dust that you created.

Rather than a military spawn, these babys should only be found in the private stashes of the rural veteran-turned-farmer.  Maybe in a big box hideden under one of those second floor haystacks in the barns with stairs; requires a pitchfork to uncover and spawns in damaged to badly damaged condition.  Ammunition would have to be re-manufactured from demilitarized rounds found as kitsch throughout the map.

What is more believable to find in Chernarus?

An M107/M82 that is currently in use by the US Armed Forces, who apparently intervened since we have downed Blackhawks full of M4s.

A WWII relic that probably only exists in museums and the private collections of people with way too much money.

A KSVK that is (I think) still in use by Russia and possibly other post-soviet nations.

Also, who the fuck stashes a rifle under a hay stack? Those get moved about. If you were going to stash a gun back in WWII for eventual use, you'd get some thing watertight and bury it in a field, or under the floorboards of your house.

That is the entire point.

It is a crew served weapon with the ability to destroy a vehicles engine in 1 shot or penetrate even the thickets of bases or fortifications not some 360 no scope gun that you can jump spin prone headshot some guy.

Not only would making it a crew weapon be completely anti-fun it would also be completely unrealistic as an m107 can easily be carried on a person's back (it only weighs around 30 pounds), is relatively manageable in terms of recoil, and does not have "super rare" ammunition (if you're in a military zone).

So I really don't know what you're aiming for, this is both unrealistic and unfun. Also, a mosin shot could disable a vehicle in one shot as well so I don't know what you're going for there.

An M107/M82 that is currently in use by the US Armed Forces, who apparently intervened since we have downed Blackhawks full of M4s.

A KSVK that is (I think) still in use by Russia and possibly other post-soviet nations.

I would go with those 2 maybe.

A WWII relic that probably only exists in museums and the private collections of people with way too much money.

Also, who the fuck stashes a rifle under a hay stack? Those get moved about. If you were going to stash a gun back in WWII for eventual use, you'd get some thing watertight and bury it in a field, or under the floorboards of your house.

Language?  I didn't mean to upset you to the point of cursing.  I read lots of posts on this subject, and many of the developer responses included concerns over making such a powerful weapon too easily accessible.  So when I thought this up, I was putting a lot of emphasis on rarity and making it truly difficult to acquire and deploy.  The Call of Duty franchise has a much more satisfying spread of .50 caliber weapons to choose from.  It sounds like  many people are looking for a quick easy way to grief people in vehicles.  So many people are just looking for quick and easy deathmatch with ridiculously geared players, that I wonder if they know what game they are playing.  I'll bet you all want to be able to jump ten feet high as well.

My proposal was focused on the gun being very hard to find, even harder to secure rounds for, and very inconvenient (but not impossible) for a lone person to deploy.  Placing the weapon under haystacks UPSTAIRS AND INSIDE of the barns, inside a crate wrapped with waterproof tarps (for realism) would require players looking for such a powerful anti-material weapon to carry around a pitchfork and check nearly every barn on the map to get one.  I don't think it is unrealistic for a weapon hidden in a floor to be covered by another material such as hay.  I'm sorry that you don't think an antiuqe SINGLE SHOT weapon such as I had described would be a useful addition to the game, or appropriately realistic for your tastes.  It still does seem plausible to me, given the rampant theft of military equipment from the Soviet Army during the cold war.  I'm pretty sure that you just have a stiffy for a Barret (or KSVK), and nothing else will do.  Sorry my suggestion was of such little use to you.

Edited by emuthreat

Not only would making it a crew weapon be completely anti-fun it would also be completely unrealistic as an m107 can easily be carried on a person's back (it only weighs around 30 pounds), is relatively manageable in terms of recoil, and does not have "super rare" ammunition (if you're in a military zone).

So I really don't know what you're aiming for, this is both unrealistic and unfun. Also, a mosin shot could disable a vehicle in one shot as well so I don't know what you're going for there.

"it only weighs about 30 pounds"

"IT ONLY WEIGHS ABOUT 30 POUNDS"

IT ONLY WEIGHS ABOUT 30 POUNDS

Tell me, have you ever done any hiking or backpacking, especially in mountainous, rough terrain? Because in that sort of terrain, ounces, much less pounds,  is important, and "mountainous backpacking" is essentially what we are doing in Day Z. I regularly carry about 20 lbs of equipment (backpack with plenty of water, change of clothing, food, blanket, survival kit, tomahawk, folding saw, etc) on me, regardless of where I am hiking, and I consider that EXTREMELY heavy. And all of that equipment is either necessary or extremely useful (read: I consider necessary) for survival/continued safe travel. Meanwhile, that 30 pound rifle can be used for.......shooting large bullets. Thats......it. There is literally no other use for a .50 Anti-Material Rifle.

As for "un-fun".....this was originally supposed to be the "anti-game". "Fun" came from overcoming challenges and surviving another day, not taking potshots at vehicles with a mono-purpose rifle that is useless for anything else.

Finally, we are not in a "military zone". We are in a mostly-rural region of a Post-Soviet state. The largest military base on the map is minuscule compared to an actual military base, and shares room with an equally tiny airfield.

• Like 1

"it only weighs about 30 pounds"

"IT ONLY WEIGHS ABOUT 30 POUNDS"

IT ONLY WEIGHS ABOUT 30 POUNDS

Tell me, have you ever done any hiking or backpacking, especially in mountainous, rough terrain? Because in that sort of terrain, ounces, much less pounds,  is important, and "mountainous backpacking" is essentially what we are doing in Day Z. I regularly carry about 20 lbs of equipment (backpack with plenty of water, change of clothing, food, blanket, survival kit, tomahawk, folding saw, etc) on me, regardless of where I am hiking, and I consider that EXTREMELY heavy. And all of that equipment is either necessary or extremely useful (read: I consider necessary) for survival/continued safe travel. Meanwhile, that 30 pound rifle can be used for.......shooting large bullets. Thats......it. There is literally no other use for a .50 Anti-Material Rifle.

As for "un-fun".....this was originally supposed to be the "anti-game". "Fun" came from overcoming challenges and surviving another day, not taking potshots at vehicles with a mono-purpose rifle that is useless for anything else.

Finally, we are not in a "military zone". We are in a mostly-rural region of a Post-Soviet state. The largest military base on the map is minuscule compared to an actual military base, and shares room with an equally tiny airfield.

30 pounds is not even one plate, stop exaggerating. Also, if helicopters are dropping M4s and AUGs, what's to stop them from having M107s + ammo? What I'm saying is one person can easily carry this on their own IF they drop their backpack. It's not some artillery piece that must be transported by a freight truck.

This would make it the most pointless and useless gun in the game.

You could just shoot the driver out with a Mosin at that point.

I thought we were talking about an anti-material rifle capable of completely disabling a vehicle in one shot, and how one can be included in the game without being ridiculously easy to acquire and use.  A Barret M107 would be a little too much for the puproses of this game; especially when you consider that the extended range it offers over .30 cal. sniper rifles would be moot, considering the draw distance.  That is why I proposed a very primitive Soviet model which might be included in the game as a relic of the cold war.  Don't you like the idea of having to run each half of the weapon to the firing position sepatrately?

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

I'm gonna be honest, I giggled a bit while I read your reply.

First, how can I only have a massive gun-boner for Barrets if in the post you replied too I provided an alternative, much more likely, rifle? The KSVK isn't a Barret product hun.

Second, saying fuck doesn't mean someones mad so calm yer tits.

Third, if a gun is buried in a field or hidden under floorboards you need a tool (Shovel/Crowbar/Hatchet) to get too it, you don't need a pitchfork to move hay. Plus, if I were going to hide a gun for ~70 years I wouldn't hide it under a pile of hay.

Sorry not everyone shares your opinion that we need a unicorn weapon when there are actual alternatives being used by nations involved in Chernarus. <3

(Also, I don't think CoD has alot of .50s not sure since the last one I played was the first MW.)

EDIT: I went and checked real quick. MW/MW2/MW3 each had the Barret MW3 added the AS50. BLOPS has none, BLOPS2 has two (I think), and I have no idea about AW although one is apparently a 20mm. So it looks like 1-2 .50s per game

Edited by Pandema

30 pounds is not even one plate, stop exaggerating. Also, if helicopters are dropping M4s and AUGs, what's to stop them from having M107s + ammo? What I'm saying is one person can easily carry this on their own IF they drop their backpack. It's not some artillery piece that must be transported by a freight truck.

1) What is a plate? 

2) What would occupants in the helicopter use the M107 for? M4's and AUGs are standard-issue SF assault rifles, so your point is moot. 

You still didn't answer my question about hiking/backpacking with heavy weight. In a situation where ounces of weight and the functionality of an object are paramount, what justification do you have for using a mono-purpose Anti-Material Rifle that weighs as much as the rest of your gear put together, over a lighter, more useful .308/7.62mm battle/hunting rifle? Just how many vehicles do you plan to take out? 

And, most importantly, for a game that focuses on survival, what does adding a mono-purpose anti-vehicle weapon add to the game? Hell, an RPG adds more to the game (anti-vehicle and anti-structural) and I am still leery about adding them! Not touching the fact that RPGs would definitely be more common and more useful than an Anti Material Rifle.

• Like 1

I'm gonna be honest, I giggled a bit while I read your reply.

First, how can I only have a massive gun-boner for Barrets if in the post you replied too I provided an alternative, much more likely, rifle? The KSVK isn't a Barret product hun.

Second, saying fuck doesn't mean someones mad so calm yer tits.

Third, if a gun is buried in a field or hidden under floorboards you need a tool (Shovel/Crowbar/Hatchet) to get too it, you don't need a pitchfork to move hay. Plus, if I were going to hide a gun for ~70 years I wouldn't hide it under a pile of hay.

Sorry not everyone shares your opinion that we need a unicorn weapon when there are actual alternatives being used by nations involved in Chernarus. <3

(Also, I don't think CoD has alot of .50s not sure since the last one I played was the first MW.)

It was just a suggestion.  Maybe it could be buried, in a box, wrapped in waterproofed canvas, and also under a haystack in a barn.  That way you would need a pitchfork, a shovel, a knife, and a crowbar to get at it.  The Soviet Union dispersed many obscure WW2 throughout their many territories.  I personally know of US army advisor who saw a stash of WW2 arms in Afghanistan in the last decade, and I'll bet that they were placed there somewhere between 1979 and 1989.  The choice of a crew-served, single-shot weapon was to balance the fact that one shot will destroy any vehicle completely--preventing other occupants from escaping after pushing out the dead driver.

So if it is realism that you are after, I stand by my suggestion.  Do I need to research the subject of Soviet arms being pilfered by military personal during the breakup of the soviet union, and present a report?  There are international teams still tracking down fissionable materials that were sold off by corrupt officers, so I'd say it is more than likely a few obsolete, but ridiculously powerful rifles were pilfered as well.  Cheers.  Or as you might put it: F***ing cheers.

Barrett, nyet.

am8kadc.jpg?1

13Gcufb.png?1

I though we were talking about an anti-material rifle capable of completely disabling a vehicle in one shot, and how one can be included in the game without being ridiculously easy to acquire and use.  A Barret M107 would be a little too much for the puproses of this game; especially when you consider that the extended range it offers over .30 cal. sniper rifles would be moot, considering the draw distance.  That is why I proposed a very primitive Soviet model which might be included in the game as a relic of the cold war.  Don't you like the idea of having to run each half of the weapon to the firing position sepatrately?

I don't want to see that gun, V3S is not armored, just spray it with a machine gun (okay, right now it is, until they change material properties). Not realistic we can find old PTRDs yet zero modern anti-material rifles. If someone wants to take out a vehicle in one shot: dun dun, RPG-7V.

bv1qoUr.jpg?1

1) What is a plate? 

Stopped reading here, no wonder you think 30 pounds on your back (whilst wearing no backpack) is heavy.

Edited by Carmelo Anthony

Wow someone asked about a .50 sniper rifle and there is 4 pages of posts in 3 days? flames are ragin'

Edited by DURRHUNTER

Stopped reading here, no wonder you think 30 pounds on your back (whilst wearing no backpack) is heavy.

So....tell me what a plate is, instead of snarking?

Are you referring to ballistics plate? If so, there isn't any ballistics plate in-game.

And you still didn't answer my question about climbing mountains with weight on your back.

1) What is a plate? 

Body armor, goes inside a plate carrier.

Will either stop bullets or produce deadly shrapnel depending on how well you can read English.

They're also that thing that you get to wear while deployed and hiking through the mountains of Afghanistan with your ruck and your gun. So its to put 30 pounds into perspective.

Edited by Pandema

Barrett, nyet.

I don't want to see that gun, V3S is not armored, just spray it with a machine gun (okay, right now it is, until they change material properties). Not realistic we can find old PTRDs yet zero modern anti-material rifles. If someone wants to take out a vehicle in one shot: dun dun, RPG-7V.

bv1qoUr.jpg?1

qWlbm2D.jpg

Both the picture you posted, and this one I added are from the recent Ukranian conflict, and both picture men fighting a contemporary war with WW2 era weapons; in this case a PM M1910 machine gun.

The fact that you provided a picture of a man using a PTRD in Ukraine, cements my claim that they would still be a likely find, while not as convenient to use as the modern 12.7mm options.

I just found nearly two-dozen recent pictures of such rifles (both PTRS and PTRD) in current use in the region. https://sovietarmorer.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/ptrs-41-and-ptrs-41-rifles-in-action-at-the-conflict-in-ukraine/

People may still not like this idea, and many may still prefer more modern western or Russian designs; but I don't think anybody could reasonably argue that it would be unrealistic, or out of place to find such old weapons still in use.  The unrealistic part of my suggestion would be that the rifle should be broken down for transport.

Edited by emuthreat

Both the picture you posted, and this one I added are from the recent Ukranian conflict, and both picture men fighting a contemporary war with WW2 era weapons; in this case a PM M1910 machine gun.

The fact that you provided a picture of a man using a PTRD in Ukraine, cements my claim that they would still be a likely find, while not as convenient to use as the modern 12.7mm options.

I just found nearly two-dozen recent pictures of such rifles (both PTRS and PTRD) in current use in the region. https://sovietarmorer.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/ptrs-41-and-ptrs-41-rifles-in-action-at-the-conflict-in-ukraine/

Yes, and people take the photos and share them because it's unusual, something to be remarked upon. If they are going to add every more common weapon first, then they can add PTRD, but that won't happen. For the same reason I oppose stuff like the C/96. But adding to this the rifle is just about completely useless in the DayZ survivor situation and there are better alternatives for taking out vehicles, and better alternatives for shooting long range. I'm not a big fan of the anti-material rifles in the first place but PTRS/PTRD even less so.

People may still not like this idea, and many may still prefer more modern western or Russian designs; but I don't think anybody could reasonably argue that it would be unrealistic, or out of place to find such old weapons still in use.  The unrealistic part of my suggestion would be that the rifle should be broken down for transport.

If you meant must be broken down for transport. The other unrealistic parts are "ammunition would have to be re-manufactured from demilitarized rounds found as kitsch throughout the map" when there are thousands of rounds esp. at BRDM crashes and the implication no other anti-material rifles can find their way into the game.

Why does everyone think that a .50 is gonna completely destroy a vehicle? .50 is super inefficient in the fact that the round merely slices up the radiator/transmission, and the truck slows to a halt 10km away. It's not some magic engine combustion round.

Yes, and people take the photos and share them because it's unusual, something to be remarked upon. If they are going to add every more common weapon first, then they can add PTRD, but that won't happen. For the same reason I oppose stuff like the C/96. But adding to this the rifle is just about completely useless in the DayZ survivor situation and there are better alternatives for taking out vehicles, and better alternatives for shooting long range. I'm not a big fan of the anti-material rifles in the first place but PTRS/PTRD even less so.

If you meant must be broken down for transport. The other unrealistic parts are "ammunition would have to be re-manufactured from demilitarized rounds found as kitsch throughout the map" when there are thousands of rounds esp. at BRDM crashes and the implication no other anti-material rifles can find their way into the game.

I'm pretty sure an RPG would be a gamebreaking addition, though I've never played the mod.  I thought I had explained all the reasoning behind this choice in my first post.  People keep asking about .50 cal. rifles, but it seems like a terrible idea to include any variant of a 5 round detachable magazine rifle chambered in .50 caliber.  I suggested a compromise weapon, the PTRD.  Apparently this is somehow a WORSE idea than every twelve year old in the server running around with a 5 shot rifle with an effective range much further than we can even spot the other players.

I do not want to see any of those .50 cal. guns in this game, as they seem more well suited to GTA/BF/COD games.  So I suggested, foolishly, as others had before; that they include a weapon appropriate to the region, that can disable vehicles, with serious drawbacks.  I chose an existing and verifiably common weapon, known for it's crudeness and relative ineffectiveness, as well as poor accuracy when used with a scope.  But you are correct that the ammunition is more readily available IRL.  Did you not read orlok's input to this thread?  Such a powerful weapon must come with significant caveats, to balance gameplay.  There may be a small niche for such a powerful rifle in the game, but it should not be at all easy to find, load, transport, or use.

I'm not sure what people think that this game is, or is going to be, but if they are looking for a huge map to run around and snipe people with top-tier .50 cal. sniper rifles, there are already games that do that  quite well.  Seems that I have unintentionally stumbled into a corner of DayZ discussion every bit as contentious as 1st vs. 3rd person. I tought it would be kind cool if the holy grail of Dayz weapons was not an RPG, LMG, or drum-fed grenade launcher;  but rather a klunky, old-but-not-yet-obsolete anti-tank rifle.  I feel that I have stated this coherently and completely, and I'll leave it at that.

I don't know you tell me.

s1uu42K.jpg

YgCIT2f.jpg

3cWENGH.jpg

8s7U7tj.jpg

All from Ukraine .

People need to take a step back and think about this for a second. Yes 50 cals are cool I guess but why add them ?

50 cal sniper rifles would add nothing to the game that cannot be done already, this is not arma we wont have to shoot at armored vehicles from 2000m , we wont have to destroy radar antennas from long range etc.

Dayz is not a war game and something as outlandish and improbable as a semi automatic 50 cal would make zero sense in any kind of survival situation.

*Yes im a starving hungry survivor who is poorly nourished let me carry around this 30 pound rifle plus all the other heavy essentials that I need to survive*

• Like 2

People need to take a step back and think about this for a second. Yes 50 cals are cool I guess but why add them ?

50 cal sniper rifles would add nothing to the game that cannot be done already, this is not arma we wont have to shoot at armored vehicles from 2000m , we wont have to destroy radar antennas from long range etc.

Dayz is not a war game and something as outlandish and improbable as a semi automatic 50 cal would make zero sense in any kind of survival situation.

*Yes im a starving hungry survivor who is poorly nourished let me carry around this 30 pound rifle plus all the other heavy essentials that I need to survive*

But that again wont stop ppl from creating vehicles that will require these types of guns. I know about half of you will stay away from those versions of the game at that point but it will draw others to it regardless. Half of us are hungry for more natural elements and half of us are hungry for more military tech while the others remaining % just wants both and to do whatever the hell we want with them.

Survival means different things to different ppl. Having extremely powerful weapons will not take away from certain ppls survival experience it will only enhance it especially when the weight system and stamina get put in. Its like "Do i want this extremely powerful pvp weapon to do good damage with and possible die by alerting every single infected and player to my area?" Or "Do i leave this weapon behind for a more practical gun that allows me to still carry a backpack, food and other extra supply goods I need?"

In fact i think there needs to be MORE useless normal items in game that you cant do ANYTHING with and have to scour houses, buildings, ect just to find useful equipment in. Finding nothing but useful items in every home seems a tad unrealistic in itself. So really finding any kind of gun should be like a Holy Grail moment in this kind of survival situation as ppl have mentioned before. That way ppl are not getting upset that there is to many anti-material rifles, bazookas, etc lying around in every single place.

Why would anyone bother with fabricating armored cars in a post apocalyptic world when basic human needs like food and shelter are so dire.

It's not a war zone with logistical centers providing supplies to each faction.

It's a post apocalyptic zombie survival game where everything is scarce and people are struggling to survive.

I say keep it out of vanilla and if people want to mod it then fine they can make a pvp focused arma lite if they wish.

• Like 1