battlerhd

Want 40+ FPS in big citys? Click here!

It's not even about how much you could have saved. Hell, spend the same amount and build a better rig... :)

We're getting a little bit off topic though. Back to performance tweaks please.

Yeah, yeah. It's not even that, it's the attitude with which said comments are made. But I get your point.

Anyway, -malloc=system in the launch parameters made the biggest improvement in my frame rate. Something about forcing DayZ to allocate data more efficiently or something.

• Like 2

It's not even about how much you could have saved. Hell, spend the same amount and build a better rig... :)

We're getting a little bit off topic though. Back to performance tweaks please.

Or get 2 for the price of 1 and then you have a backup!

Launch parameters guide. To use these on Steam right click the game, go to properties, click set launch parameters. You need a space between the end of one setting and the - in the next. I don't think the order matters.

• ​​ -nosplash – removes the Bohemia Interactive splash page, letting you get into the game faster.
  • -skipintro - skips the intro, getting you into the game faster.
  • -noPause – keeps the game running while minimized or not focused.
  • -world=empty – disables the map from loading on launch, meaning you get into the game launcher quicker, but loading the game will take longer. 
  • -cpuCount=8 – set this to how many cores your CPU has. Most systems are either 2 (dual-core), 4 (quad-core), or 8 (octa-core).
  • -maxMem =8192 – set this to the total amount of RAM your system has, 2048 for 2GB,  4096 for 4GB, 8192 for 8+GB.
  • -window - launches the game in windowed mode, if that’s something you’re looking for.
  •  -noborder - launches the game in border-less windowed mode.
  • -exThreads=7 - set this to 0,1,3 or 7 – this is the amount of threads your CPU uses. Defaults to 3 for dual-core, or 7 for quad-core.

Works for all Arma games. For example here is mine from Arma 3

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=8192 -maxVram=2048 -noBenchmark -noLogs -noPause -noSplash -world=empty -malloc=system

The #1 thing you can do to increase performance in DayZ though (especially in towns) is to get a SSD and install the game onto that.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 2

launch parameters did mor than cfg edits for me. For unparking i cant really tell.For one of my low end laptops, the best possible thing would be running the game without steam.

Well the fact that you can see 40 FPS and I'm in a city clearly means there was a big boost in frames, I would not post it if it did not work for me.

Point is, even i get 40+ fps when watching on the ground on a 1.7ghz i7quad with 330m. People just wanted a better comparison than your dot being focused on the ground level most of the time, cause if u get 40 fps watching at berezino ground, i bet you dont get 40fps running down the centre.

Edited by halp
  • Like 2

Yeah, yeah. It's not even that, it's the attitude with which said comments are made. But I get your point.

Anyway, -malloc=system in the launch parameters made the biggest improvement in my frame rate. Something about forcing DayZ to allocate data more efficiently or something.

Finally an optimization that I didn't know about, Have my beans good sir.

This seems to work wonders for me as well.

The explanation that I googled says that the windows 7 memory allocator is quite good and seems to work better than the custom memory allocators which come with dayz, This launch parameter forces it to use the windows memory allocator.

I definitely recommend adding -malloc=system to your launch parameters if you haven't already.

• Like 3

The memory allocation commands are supposed to be really good. Unfortunately I never got around to reading up and figuring out which one would work best for me.

Will give system a go next time I play. :)

Finally an optimization that I didn't know about, Have my beans good sir.

This seems to work wonders for me as well.

The explanation that I googled says that the windows 7 memory allocator is quite good and seems to work better than the custom memory allocators which come with dayz, This launch parameter forces it to use the windows memory allocator.

I definitely recommend adding -malloc=system to your launch parameters if you haven't already.

I'm a windows 7 guy too - I need to try this.

just checking some sites for their top range PCs :

e.g.
Digital Storm at 800+ dollars will give you better FPS than Maingear at 2,200+ dollars
(really much better..; ok?)

but the hardware changes from month to month.. same Range, same PC name, same number, but different stuff inside .. 'ya make 'ya choice... whatever you buy out of the top range this year.. next year it WILL BE second rate ..

Any decent quad processor with a very good graphics card and an SSD -  in my opinion - is the best you'll get  - after that, the price you pay for the name and the fancy stickers is your own decision

I'd always go for a big box - because its easy to change stuff around in a desktop ( - next year, when things starts getting old) - if you buy a laptop you're stuck with what's in there.; next year if you still want top stuff you'll have to throw it away and buy a new one

and then sure - mess with the software as much as you like.. don't ever think that an expensive box has the software tuned in any way .. thats not what happens.. these are hardware manufacturers, they throw in the standard softs and spend ZERO time on it. 

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

Yeah but his Dell has an Alienware logo on it though! You can't just get those anywhere like on Amazon for 2$.

woow - you are so right

they cost US $3.59 on e-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIENWARE-Label-Aufkleber-Sticker-Badge-Logo-30mm-x-12mm-099-/111361102722?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19eda39382

I am using Alienware18: i7-4810MQ, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 290x with CrossFire: 60fps in city XD

hey qwer4790 -  here's your box for 150 dollars, but with a slightly better processor (i7-4940MX)

No one understands this? Alienware motherboards are made in Guandong (China)

Alienware sign a contract with the Chinese factory for, say, 200,000 units...

The factory tools up to make them (this is a big complicated job to set up that production line - you ever seen fully automated motherboard production line? wow..)

At the end of the line is a little machine that prints a code, a serial number and "alienware" on the board

When the factory has finished its 200,000 run for the Alienware contract - it goes right on producing the same board.. someone unplugs the rubber stamp at the end that prints "alienware"

The factory make another 600,000 for themselves - this is THE SAME board.. SAME components, SAME manufacturer

Then they sell them around the world.. they could sell them very cheap because they already finished the contract, but they sell them "medium cheap" because they know how much folk want "alienware" .. it's got kudos.

This over-run is the main profit margin for that factory in Guandong...  they go on making the same board and selling it cheap to anyone who wants it, until a new big contract turns up - because retooling for a new contract - the startup is the main cost of production, so why bother until something new and juicy comes in?

Some buyers (any small-medium business from China to India to Indonesia to Albania) actually put the board into "Alienware" boxes, because those are made in China too, and you can buy as many as you like.. those plastic box factories do overruns too.. (same reason, natch)

The punchline is you can get your REAL alienware motherboards -complete- for ..eh..100 dollars... If 'ya want you can screw it to a perspex sheet, plug in an external VDU.. and it RUNS out of the box, and it will give better FPS than yours (sorry dude.. ), because it has the i7-4940MX and 30 gig of ram

I didn't spend a lot of time on this (because I thought EVERYONE knew already, but I guess not?) So i wasted 7 minutes, and here's an example.. already in a real folding box+screen

http://www.ali***.com/product-detail/Best-Discount-Original-For-New-Dell_50011971478.html

check it out you can find better - really, I spent 10 mins because I had nothing to do.

The point is - this is the REAL THING it is NOT a "copy".. it is the SAME run from the same factory using the same parts.. the overrun is deliberate, standard practice, and it's sold off to give the manufacturer his profit margin. This has been standard from WAY BACK .. It always made me laugh when IBM said "Only use Genuine IBM parts" because the difference between "genuine" and "not" was that the Chinese factory that built for IBM had unplugged the rubber stamp that printed "IBM" on the board, then sold the same parts for half price.

This is not new - how can anyone not know it?   ..What the frag..

xx pilgrim

PS BIG HUG (a handshake grip) TO GRIMEY RICK - because there are not enough dudes on this planet who know who they are.

Also for STEAK AND POTATOES - the planet fragging NEEDS you man - you understand ?

Edited by pilgrim

The single biggest performance improvement for DayZ is gained by installing it on an SSD Dean hall said so himself and I can agree

With similar tweaks I can get a blistering... 33fps in downtown cherno (45ish on the outskirts) FPS was determined with Nvida Shadowplay and fraps separately

My rig: brand new I built it musket last Wednesday

Case: corsair obsidian 450d

Motherboard: gigabyte UD5H z97

PSU: 750w EVGA supernova G2

CPU: intel I7 4970k overclocked lightly to 4.3ghz standard 4.7ghz turbo

GPU: MSI GTX 970 4gb (factory overclock)

CPU cooler: corsair H100i (do not recommend for intel mount it requires lost of washers to fit snugly) load temps don't pass 50c though

Case fans: 2x Corsair AF 140 intake front and 1 AF 120 rear exhaust

SSD: 120gb Sandisk Extreme II

Hdd: 1tb Western digital blue

Disc drive: LG 12x blue ray read write

I have a 21in LED monitor and run all my games at 1920x 1080 at 60hz

It's not a super computer but it cost me $1600 so I'd have hoped for at least this

• Like 1

hey qwer4790 -  here's your box for 150 dollars, but with a slightly better processor (i7-4940MX)

No one understands this? Alienware motherboards are made in Guandong (China)

Alienware sign a contract with the Chinese factory for, say, 200,000 units...

The factory tools up to make them (this is a big complicated job to set up that production line - you ever seen fully automated motherboard production line? wow..)

At the end of the line is a little machine that prints a code, a serial number and "alienware" on the board

When the factory has finished its 200,000 run for the Alienware contract - it goes right on producing the same board.. someone unplugs the rubber stamp at the end that prints "alienware"

The factory make another 600,000 for themselves - this is THE SAME board.. SAME components, SAME manufacturer

Then they sell them around the world.. they could sell them very cheap because they already finished the contract, but they sell them "medium cheap" because they know how much folk want "alienware" .. it's got kudos.

This over-run is the main profit margin for that factory in Guandong...  they go on making the same board and selling it cheap to anyone who wants it, until a new big contract turns up - because retooling for a new contract - the startup is the main cost of production, so why bother until something new and juicy comes in?

Some buyers (any small-medium business from China to India to Indonesia to Albania) actually put the board into "Alienware" boxes, because those are made in China too, and you can buy as many as you like.. those plastic box factories do overruns too.. (same reason, natch)

The punchline is you can get your REAL alienware motherboards -complete- for ..eh..100 dollars... If 'ya want you can screw it to a perspex sheet, plug in an external VDU.. and it RUNS out of the box, and it will give better FPS than yours (sorry dude.. ), because it has the i7-4940MX and 30 gig of ram

I didn't spend a lot of time on this (because I thought EVERYONE knew already, but I guess not?) So i wasted 7 minutes, and here's an example.. already in a real folding box+screen

http://www.ali***.com/product-detail/Best-Discount-Original-For-New-Dell_50011971478.html

check it out you can find better - really, I spent 10 mins because I had nothing to do.

The point is - this is the REAL THING it is NOT a "copy".. it is the SAME run from the same factory using the same parts.. the overrun is deliberate, standard practice, and it's sold off to give the manufacturer his profit margin. This has been standard from WAY BACK .. It always made me laugh when IBM said "Only use Genuine IBM parts" because the difference between "genuine" and "not" was that the Chinese factory that built for IBM had unplugged the rubber stamp that printed "IBM" on the board, then sold the same parts for half price.

This is not new - how can anyone not know it?   ..What the frag..

xx pilgrim

PS BIG HUG (a handshake grip) TO GRIMEY RICK - because there are not enough dudes on this planet who know who they are.

Also for STEAK AND POTATOES - the planet fragging NEEDS you man - you understand ?

I bought it in Japan and had a 25% discount, which make it crazy cheap XD, your long words scared me....

• Like 2

So...This -malloc=system does anybody have any more info? What exactly is it doing? I understand it changes the memory allocation, but does it improve the FPS notably?

I bought it in Japan and had a 25% discount, which make it crazy cheap XD, your long words scared me....

This first stuff is not about tweaking so I apologize for this boring post (you can skip the first half about China - heh - and get to the tweaks) - but its all totally about hardware and I won't join this discussion ever again i swear.

In the USA and Europe there is a "cost of production" - everyone knows what this means.

In China, because of the way the country is set up "cost of production" does not exist in that way.. in China those words don't make any make sense. You tell some people to build a factory, you tell some people to produce stuff in the factory, you tell some people to fed them while they're doing it... no money involved in any of that...

THEN you sell this stuff for any cheap price you like to the USA .. it didnt really "cost" you anything to make. And why do you sell this stuff to the USA?

To collect Dollars.

China has a big collection of dollars - by now it owns a BIG chunk of the USA national debt (which means it owns more than half the USA, right? .. heh)

China collects Dollars, Euros, and Yen.

Why do you think 2/3 or 3/4 of your cool stuff is Chinese?.. check it out.. Because China can sell far under price to collect Dollars. That is why USA companies have their stuff built in China. Then USA companies sell expensive in USA so they can have their slice of the cake. -  But the cake in the USA is getting smaller and smaller because more and more of the USA cake is moving to Chinese bank vaults.. where the USA can't get at it at all. The USA don't own those dollars any more... That's like saying the USA don't own the USA any more.

the Chinese have agreed to be reasonable about this, so they only undercut other markets 'just enough' - they don't want the USA actually starving and they sure don't want to have to police it just because they own it. 

Economics 101.. here's a simple stupid example - French police uniforms are made in China because they are cheaper than made in France. They are not "imitation" French Police Uniforms, they are Real French Police Uniforms (there aren't any others). Look around your house, check out behind the "USA trademarks" see what is there.

ps - I am not in any way anti Chinese. This is in NO way a racist or political comment.. it's 101 economics.

xx pilgrim (wont bother you again, dudes.. back to the game)   

>>>>>>sorry<<<<<<<<

...  I tried Grimey Rick's tweak - for ME that  Works def. The other tweaks I already tried them in the past, and then put things back the way they were. I was getting - more or less - bursts of speed, then drops to toooo slow.. and some changes made my graphics card unhappy.. Maybe the tweaks were multiplying the effects of small ping changes?, or hitting something in just one version number of the game?  those tweaks were sometimes ok sometimes not, So I let them go.

SSD is the answer, before you even try anything else. Not even expensive = Cheapest Big Boost. You don't need a big or 'fast' SSD.. you just need any SSD.

For OP Weedz : better fps could be a bottleneck in his PC that he's got around [kind of by mistake] (maybe doing something else.. like changing his antivirus; anything) that helped, or maybe there was ONE thing that his particular graphics card, (or driver version), didn't like.. or ... just for instance, the built-in overclock auto-slowed down and that gave faster access to bigger chunks of the SSD ??  (NO - that CAN happen). but I really have No Idea.

You can sure start the game faster, But for the rest... get a team of experts on it for a couple of months... see the final report, I'll bet it's not unanimous.

If - out of all those tweaks, just one hits the button - or maybe touches another button on one certain GPU, or some other 'external' thing increases your fps - THAT'S GREAT... but for the exact same to happen to 50-100 totally different rigs.. it would take a lot of time and science to prove that...

For me - try -malloc=system in Steam launch params. that did me good, .;but for yo other boxes; all I can say is 'try it', only takes a minute. Then get a SSD. 

Edited by pilgrim

So...This -malloc=system does anybody have any more info? What exactly is it doing? I understand it changes the memory allocation, but does it improve the FPS notably?

It did for me on my old i7-2600K. It mostly seemed to help in cities. I was running it at 5.2GHz too, for what it's worth.

I've yet to try DayZ on the new system in my signature; I built it right before I left home to go to work for three weeks. Home tonight! I'll try it and let you know.

How about a hybrid SSD. I need to buy a TB HD. I have a 240 gb ssd that I have my games on right now but my OS is on it to. What I want to do is get a hybrid drive and put them all on there leaving my OS ssd free - anyone running a hybrid and can tell how it runs DayZ?

It did for me on my old i7-2600K. It mostly seemed to help in cities. I was running it at 5.2GHz too, for what it's worth.

I've yet to try DayZ on the new system in my signature; I built it right before I left home to go to work for three weeks. Home tonight! I'll try it and let you know.

my i7930 rig @ 4.3ghz to the 5820k @ 4.6 gained 20-30 fps outside cities and maybe 5 fps in cities.

but i know have 200% render and all settings on max. the i7 930 had weaker single core performance. The 2600k is a beast as you well know, so i dont think dayz/arma3 will show you any improvements. Other games im sure will benefit.

x99 is amazing though, wowly shit its fun to build.

Any word?

In the USA and Europe there is a "cost of production" - everyone knows what this means.

In China, because of the way the country is set up "cost of production" does not exist in that way.. in China those words don't make any make sense. You tell some people to build a factory, you tell some people to produce stuff in the factory, you tell some people to fed them while they're doing it... no money involved in any of that...

THEN you sell this stuff for any cheap price you like to the USA .. it didnt really "cost" you anything to make. And why do you sell this stuff to the USA?

That is a fantastic way of thinking how production in China works. Absolute twaddle, but fantastic nonetheless. 

Do you really think Chinese factory workers just work for food? Or are you trolling? 

Heh I even forgot I had "-malloc=system" already in my launch options.

Problem for me is to be really sure what does helps and what does not.

I guess I should test the game with and without every parametr one by one and check FPS.

in-the-year-2000.jpg

People used this guide for the first time.

( Honestly, did they? OFP anyone? )

Edited by korpisoturi
  • Like 2

sorry FPS people - I think dangerfinger should start a new thread where I can talk to him about this

That is a fantastic way of thinking how production in China works. Absolute twaddle, but fantastic nonetheless. 

Do you really think Chinese factory workers just work for food? Or are you trolling? 

I was simplifying. - I mean China's per-capita income (world ranking) is 82nd compared to its nominal GDP.  This means in USA terms you get paid "nothing" for your work. But if you're using local currency you can pay "virtually nothing" for your rice too, and "virtually nothing" to build factories. As well as  Chinese "food" you can also get Chinese "television sets" for very little - inside China, but not outside China. Check what's happening to the renminbi.

I hope you understand what that means to the USA?. it means "the USA is SCREWED" (get your finger out). Europe is Also Screwed, but Europe does not have the vast international debt the USA lives on.

"twaddle" is a nice old-fashioned word. I guess you'll be doing some "twaddling" when the world blows up in your face.

Hey dude, it just did, about 20 years ago. Check your Economic History starting 25 years back, you don't need to go further than that. IF you already understand the concepts a little bit.

Its not more complicated than FPS or overclocking.

Take a starter course: Wikipedia - Economy_of_China

Then come back and tell me WHY you are buying all your high tech stuff from China? 

then you can give me an "non-twaddle" explanation of why the USA citizen is working just for home-grown "food" + "stuff made in china" and getting in debt for it ?

Can the USA and Europe MAKE their own stuff any more ? Explain please. But get a grip on the subject first, then we can argue - I'd like to hear your "twaddle".

USA at present: "On September 30, 2014, USA 'public debt' held by the public had reached $12.8 trillion or about 74% of FY 2014 GDP- Intragovernmental holdings stood at $5.0 trillion, giving a combined total public debt of $17.8 trillion or about 103% of FY 2014 GDP.

$6.1 trillion or approximately 47% of the debt held by the USA - the public debt -  was owned by foreign investors, the largest of which were the People's Republic of China at about $1.3 trillion, and Japan at $1.2 trillion respectively." (USA national debt) "

Notice what we're saying here - in 2014 HALF the USA GNP (dude!) went in debt owned by China and Japan, with China having the biggest cut. - LOL - you say that the Chinese working for rice is "twaddle", OK -  but the Americans work for the Chinese.. right?)  LOL.

ps - half the GNP means (rule of thumb), 50% of everything you or I DO to make stuff worth money.. right? - I hope you're really following this and not just trolling. But even the simplified "twaddle" Obama and Merkel say on TV .. so that the public might more-or-less-understand-a-little-bit -  is too complicated to bother about, right? And Merkel at least says "WE are in THE SHIT" as clearly as possible.  Everyone knows "economics" is another word for "I don't get it" - "change the channel".

come on dude, please  - if you're into 30-40 you must have noticed that your standard of living has gone DOWN (and the cost gone up) in the last 15 years, unless you're climbing on some other sucker's back, AND all your gear is Chinese manufactured ... so who's working for what, exactly?

I didn't intend to go into this - read back up the forum and you'll see my starting point where I said "I thought everybody knew"

So If you want to discuss economy, start a new thread and I'll join you there. I'm not going through this simple stuff any more, and this is the wrong thread.

This is your life dude - I really hope you're following this and not just trolling.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

Okay this is how this goes guys:

USA is totally absolutely f***ed, EU is kinda f***ed loaning and borrowing and blaming each other (circle jerk fight) still not as bad as USA, China on the rise but eventually it will too become f***ed (in future) and after China maybe India or some Africa junglehole will become the next China.

Thats the circle of life.

Also if I remember correctly USA dept that China owns is in DOLLARS, meaning basically that all they would need to do is collapse their own currency and the Americans wouldn't need to pay anyone jacks**t. 

Bring back good olde Mercantilism!  :emptycan:

Don't take this post too seriously, ok?

• Like 1

Way off-topic.

All that may well be so, however it won't boost yer FPS.

Recent changes (0.54) may no longer apply to this Guide.

• Like 3