yeinzy

some weird things with the compass

i always have dayzmaps.com up when i play dayz, and i know what is north and south, the compasses have show right way, but now the compass shows like this. "north is south and west is east etc etc" is that a new bug or something? becuse cherno for example is south on the map, and electro right? but if i look "north" from the water it shows south? anyone else noticed this?? :O

Sometimes a Pristine Compass is just not working. It shows west and your running south^^  Had it 3 Times till now. Allway great when you notice that you where running wrong direction for 45 min!

This also happens if you have a damaged compass. Must be a bug with the pristine ones. But I hope that the damaged are not

the compass has always work for me but not when the patch 0.52 came out :/

Hey guys, is the compass broken??? Mine no work!!!

Rick stop putting shrimps on the barbie. Fire is hot enough ;)

For the most part the compass has been working good for me. I tend to check a few times before fully comiting to a long run. I also like to go from nav landmark to landmark and checking it a few times during long runs. So I don't rely on it 100% anyways, its more to verify that I am going the correct direction if I'm not sure.

It is buggy at times but, I think double checking it helps. Some say its completely broken, I really don't think so.  It is kind of buggy right now though.

Edited by CJFlint

The compass has an intermittent glitch. i'm not sure how or why the glitch activates but it seems random to me. I only really trust a pristine compass, maybe one that's worn in a pinch. Damaged compasses are worthless trash. For me this current build has been the glitchiest one I've seen yet - the devs are aware of numerous compass bugs.

A compass will sometimes take on the damage level of the clothing that contains it. So the compass will show pristine but inside badly damaged pants it acts like a badly damaged item despite its item status remaining pristine. This will result in the compass pointing the wrong way. Others on this forum have reported this exact phenomena and I realized it was happening to me for a while on this current build and the previous build. There are other compass glitches that I know less about but seem to resolve automatically over the course of a game session.

Check your compass: It helps if you can double check your heading against a known landmark/direction/road pattern. If you know the time of day in your server you can also estimate the position of the sun in the sky and check that against your compass. I've had trouble reading the clouds but some seem to have an easier time with this, supposedly they blow west to east. I'm hoping devs include moss on the north side of forest trees and rocks but im not holding my breath.

• Like 2

in my experience this isnt related to the compass but the server. me and my friend tested this theory by jumoing around a dozen or so servers (beofre you get annoyed we did no looting at all and this was in the name of science) we each had four compasses two that said pristine one that said damaged and one that said badly damaged. What we determined is that it is a server related issue since all would either be broken or all would be working

(0074406)
Andy (Bohemia Interactive - manager) 
2015-01-12 14:41

Thank you all for your feedback!
We might have found the culprit - the issue is now scheduled for a fix, please be patient.
Regards,
Andy

this was posted in reply to the compass is broken thread in the bug reports

• Like 2

(0074406)

Andy (Bohemia Interactive - manager) 

2015-01-12 14:41

Thank you all for your feedback!

We might have found the culprit - the issue is now scheduled for a fix, please be patient.

Regards,

Andy

this was posted in reply to the compass is broken thread in the bug reports

See... someone who knows where to look. I'll have to check and see if the link in my signature still works, but check the tracker for information about possible bugs like the poster I quoted. :)

Yeah it's a known bug, and I learned it the hard way. Thought I was running north when I was actually going in the opposite direction. That's why it's good to try and stick to the roads. 

Ha ha ha

I was trying to use a compass to get around inland, I was close to N W Airfield,  and by not using any roads. It didn't work out for me, thought I was heading to Svet, N E Airfield area. I actually ended up at the Rog Castle near Wobo in the south. I don't remember if the compass was Pristine or not, it was during .47 update or sometime there about, but I just gave up on the thing and just learned the map by land marks

The worn or damaged state should not impede the compass at all, magnetism is magnetism. It should only make the dial harder to read if the glass is cracked.

I'm pretty sure this is a bug, I got lost a few days ago in the hills between Pogorevka and Vyshnoye.  Once I found a good place to get my bearings, I confirmed that the worn compass was backwards (N=S,E=W).  After searching for a couple hours, I finally found a pristine compass--that was also reversed.  Logging out and eating a sandwich, then logging back in seems to fix the problem.  The sandwich may be inconsequential.  Need to run more tests with stir-fry, burritos, etc.

• Like 1

ah, this explains why I got horribly lost last weekend trying to meet up with someone ... thought It was just me being drunk, obviously being drunk with a broken compass isn't a good combo 

I've had trouble reading the clouds but some seem to have an easier time with this, supposedly they blow west to east. .

I thought it was east to west?!

I think saw this bug now. It works allot of the time. But there times were it is completely backwards. It is indeed a bug. Not slightly off its backwards. The thing is I don't see it all the time. Just sometimes.

anyone having probs with compass?? mine is pristine so no damage, yet i headed south to get back to the coast and end up in no mans land UP NORTH when south should end up at the coast somewhere.... not first time is happened either....yup so went north on the compass and ended up south at the coast

Edited by steve007

anyone having probs with compass?? mine is pristine so no damage, yet i headed south to get back to the coast and end up in no mans land when souyth should end up at the coast somewhere.... not first time is happened either....

Merged, upvote this ticket if your still having the issue, or create a new one.

anyone having probs with compass?? mine is pristine so no damage, yet i headed south to get back to the coast and end up in no mans land when souyth should end up at the coast somewhere.... not first time is happened either....

All compass's are bugged at the moment but they can still be read reasonably accurately. North is point approximately east so west on the compass is northish.