SMoss

Status Report - Week of 12 Jan 15

Kill logs will be available to admins soon IIRC, this will lead to a lot of bans (as long as you have video evidence as well)

Admins would never use them as a from of vengeance, I for one have complete faith in our new overlords.

• Like 2

I can't help but feel that most of the complaining, cristisism and anger directed at the game is mostly speaking out of hurt

Indeed...I can't even begin to tell you how much this game has hurt me.

sad-man-silhouette-on-bench.jpg

My soul aches.

And as far as security is concerned, the best way to improve security is to get rid of battle eye and get a better anti-cheat. One that doesn't ban people for no reason and has a support staff that gives two shits.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 1

...May their beans spill or better...

Perhaps better than banning, use some passive aggressive techniques.  Set so ever can they open spills 100%.  Every hit they take damages everything to ruined.  They don't even need to know for sure they got caught.  They could just think it got really hard for some reason.

if we got rid of all the cheating kids we would be so happy :D

btw is it normal that any tents we put on servers with persistence disappear really fast (after few days.. once it was 5 once like 2 or 3 and both were used daily during that period)? it would be nice if we had something like we had on mod when you just had to open the tent once a week or so so it wont disappear

As mentonied, the persistent servers - as I got it - still have weekly restarts, so you have to somehow find out when it is on your server and eventually pick your tent before that time :)

Perhaps better than banning, use some passive aggressive techniques.  Set so ever can they open spills 100%.  Every hit they take damages everything to ruined.  They don't even need to know for sure they got caught.  They could just think it got really hard for some reason.

I say we make them suffer as much as possible, make them freez randomly, 1 hit deaths, 1000x speed of starvation and temperature raise or fall ect.

I say we make them suffer as much as possible, make them freez randomly, 1 hit deaths, 1000x speed of starvation and temperature raise or fall ect.

Honestly, I think the best solution would just be to repeatedly kill any detected hacker until they turn off their hacks. Their bodies should be automatically hidden, also, to remove hacked loot from the game.

• Like 1

The problem with reporting hackers. As previously stated. Is that you often don't know who killed you and even if you see a hacker at a distance how will you know who they are? This leaves two options report the location and have the admins check what was going on after the fact. Or give a way to identify players that kill you and break immersion as well as set up crazy revenge plays. In my opinion the report should be short something like:

Location: highway gas station outside of Electra towards cherno

Time: 5:23Pm

Behavior observed: invisible fire axe wielding demon

Name (if known):

• Like 1

All of the updates seems good + the anti-cheat system, thank God.

So if the anti-cheat system is updated... will I get un-banned? as I have been banned and reported to battleye like 20 times, since update 0.49 i've been banned with no stated reason + no answer from battleye...

I know I may sound like one of those annoying kids that hack and all that.. but I am actually being serious as at the same day I have encountered 2 hackers that killed me.. maybe thats something to do with that.. but more or less I am waiting from update 0.49 as dean hall said those on blacklist will be whitelisted.. is that true?

I feel like I'm being forced to buy dayz again, but no I will report everywhere until this will get solved.. sorry for long message and thank you for reading.. please reply.

This:

So does this mean BE won't be randomly banning non-hackers anymore? :P

I can see this new easier way of reporting "Hackers" being both good and bad, very bad...

I say this because while it will be nice to be able to report someone for "Hacking" your going to have an even bigger number of people using this easier report system, to report legit players who got the upper hand on them in a firefight or whatever, I hope people who falsely accuse people of hacking get a punishment of some sort.

So does this mean BE won't be randomly banning non-hackers anymore? :P

Lol please explain how none hackers are being banned please im going to like to hear this......

And its change from a static to a dynamic process now from what i hear which is a step in the right direction...

Lol please explain how none hackers are being banned please im going to like to hear this......

And its change from a static to a dynamic process now from what i hear which is a step in the right direction...

I never said hackers weren't being banned lol.

There are quite a few instances of people who don't hack in DayZ who have received global bans from BE. I was just taking a little jab at BE, as I'm not a huge fan of the current anti-cheat DayZ utilizes :P

What does the ability to report hackers have to do with preventing hackers from simply purchasing a new copy of DayZ and Steam so they can hack again and again...  you know, like they have been doing for 2 years of SA and Mod.

What a waist of resources to waste time implementing the ability to report when they should be building a game that is difficult to hack in the first place.

The problem with reporting hackers. As previously stated. Is that you often don't know who killed you and even if you see a hacker at a distance how will you know who they are? This leaves two options report the location and have the admins check what was going on after the fact. Or give a way to identify players that kill you and break immersion as well as set up crazy revenge plays. In my opinion the report should be short something like:

Location: highway gas station outside of Electra towards cherno

Time: 5:23Pm

Behavior observed: invisible fire axe wielding demon

Name (if known):

I swear, this new "security" system is only going to work if they do that. Allow gamers (even if only in Private servers when enabled, like persistence) to see the name of the who killed them. That's it. All you get to see is their name on the Death screen until you hit respawn. Easy, the hardcore in game immersion remains intact. Bye bye hackers.

Would also create some great rivalries. Knowing who your nemesis is can be a blast

..or a rage fit. Lol

FOG!!

Edited by Vex_Vehix

I swear, this new "security" system is only going to work if they do that. Allow gamers (even if only in Private servers if the admin so chooses, like persistence) to see the name of the who killed them. That's it. All you get to see (only you) who dropped you in the Death screen until you hit respawn. Easy, the hardcore in game feel remains in tact. Bye bye hackers.

Would also create some great rivalries. Know who your nemesis is can be a blast

..or a rage fit. Lol

FOG!!

I personally think the only way to combat hackers is to implement scripts in-game that can detect the hacking.

I may have mentioned this in another post, but back when I played Altis Life a lot, a group of us made our own server and we were testing scripts that detected spawned-in items, teleporting, etc, and when the server detected these things, it would display a global message stating it had stopped a hacking attempt and would kick the player.

I don't understand why this can't be done in this game's engine. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to code something that detects player-spawned items, or, y'know, the player whooshing across the map at the speed of sound.

I think allowed players to see who killed them and report hackers more easily will result in maybe more hackers getting banned, but it could also result in even more completely innocent players being subject to bans as well, and that's already enough of a problem as it is.

• Like 1

I personally think the only way to combat hackers is to implement scripts in-game that can detect the hacking.

I may have mentioned this in another post, but back when I played Altis Life a lot, a group of us made our own server and we were testing scripts that detected spawned-in items, teleporting, etc, and when the server detected these things, it would display a global message stating it had stopped a hacking attempt and would kick the player.

I don't understand why this can't be done in this game's engine. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to code something that detects player-spawned items, or, y'know, the player whooshing across the map at the speed of sound.

I think allowed players to see who killed them and report hackers more easily will result in maybe more hackers getting banned, but it could also result in even more completely innocent players being subject to bans as well, and that's already enough of a problem as it is.

I see, well, maybe they'll read this and consider it. ;)

I agree with the bullshit hackusations, but something needs to be done about the current hacking issues.

What if you need to provide video/photo proof along with the report? I don't know...we need something and fast.

• Like 2

I see, well, maybe they'll read this and consider it. ;)

I agree with the bullshit hackusations, but something needs to be done about the current hacking issues.

What if you need to provide video/photo proof along with the report? I don't know...we need something and fast.

BI and BE are both not oblivious about the current situation and the competitive game launch that doesn't suffer from such issues. The timing and initiative of this are obvious - it's a critical junction to start to solve the problem or suffer attrition. Personally I'm hoping this is a solid major step towards solving the problem (and I'm sure many others are as well). Staying positive and feeling this out, let's see how impactful it really is, because honestly, the other adjustments to tighten up this problem area have appeared to be baby steps at best and not the epic smack down advances I think we've all been hoping for. I'm sure internally the ante and priority on this has risen drastically in the past few days/weeks.

• Like 1

What does the ability to report hackers have to do with preventing hackers from simply purchasing a new copy of DayZ and Steam so they can hack again and again...  you know, like they have been doing for 2 years of SA and Mod.

What a waist of resources to waste time implementing the ability to report when they should be building a game that is difficult to hack in the first place.

After a few bans the hacker might get sick of wasting their money and move onto other games which are similar but will be free.....

Short of hunting them down and doing things to them in real life what do you honestly expect them to do to prevent people from making a new account on a new ip address using new financial details to purchase a new copy?

Come on be reasonable.

This is a step in a positive direction, Is it the ultimate solution? NO

Will it improve with time? Most likely.

Some of you expect miracles.

After reading these forums and getting to know this community I'm not sure about the report system.

People are such whiners here I wouldn't be surprised if 100% of kills are reported as "hacks".

PS: My frustrations towards the community aren't directed at you, I actually like some of your posts, I just quoted you because it was convenient.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

Seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to initiate a logged stream of the data from the server to a database like Cassandra, where it could be read and played back later.  Set a short ttl for the data like a day or so and even adjust the resolution of what's kept.  

Well aside from all this hack speak , I really hope a new status report and experimental come out today... Here's to hoping ladies and gents !!

• Like 2

patch tomorrow or just bug fixing ?

Nothing, Eugen is out of office. No updates this week.

You might be wrong.

Edited by jimbo_swe

You might be wrong.

Fixed it for you :)

EDIT: Never mind, it fixed itself.

Anyway, what he said ^. The productionprep depot was updated earlier today as well which usually suggests an update to the Stable branch.

Edited by Tatanko