Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

DayZ 2.0 - The Sequel

Obviously, the game is still in alpha and far away from a version 1.0. However with the revenue already made and the grand success of DayZ it would be highly unlikely if not unreasonable if they weren't already thinking or even planning ahead for a proper sequel. A franchise would come to my mind.

So my thoughts:

Are there already some loose plans and ideas? And if yes what would be important additions to the engine: voxel? rivers? dynamic changing environment? etc.

Ideas? Thoughts? Objections? Discuss!

Edited by joe_mcentire

I think that sequals for DayZ is not gonna happen. They will just update the current game. And that's how it's suppost to be in my opinion. A DayZ 2 would just feel... no

to be realistic, from a economic pov, not thinking ahead would be highly negligent.

No, no, yes, no.

not so easy there ;). why?

Edited by joe_mcentire

I'm 100% sure they've had the idea before... but I doubt they're seriously considering at this stage. We're only about halfway through the planned public alpha phase, and we still have the entire beta to go through before we even get to the standard release version. And that doesn't mean they'll just stop... we'll probably get additions and whatnot after release is finished.

Honestly we'll have to see how the game turns out before we start talking about a sequel. Right now I'd have to say no but of course that all depends on how the game comes out in the following months and years.

It's just too early to be talking about this seriously - I doubt that really anyone has a valid and complete opinion on the subject yet anyway.

I think that sequals for DayZ is not gonna happen. They will just update the current game. And that's how it's suppost to be in my opinion. A DayZ 2 would just feel... no

Only to a certain extent.  The problem is that DayZ is currently (and presumably always will be) a one-off payment to buy and play, whilst employing people to update the game with new content, fix bugs and, in the long term, keep updating the engine and the like, is an ongoing cost and actually very expensive.  Whilst DayZ has sold 2 million odd copies so far (I think), which is impressive, how long before sales and therefore profits drop off?  Even if that takes a few years sooner or later it will get overtaken by something else, or the cost of updating the game engine will simply not be economically viable and then that's that.

If you aren't going for a micro transaction or monthly subscription model to fund a game sooner or later the money runs out.  That's where DayZ 2 or whatever, comes in.  And as joe_mcentire above says, not having a long term plan is the business and financial equivalent of pressing F11...

It's just too early to be talking about this seriously - I doubt that really anyone has a valid and complete opinion on the subject yet anyway.

maybe it is for us, for them idk. considering again years of changing and adapting the engine to include more features to be maybe even voxel based (who knows) and to construct a detailled huge world as being chernarus...to would have to start thinking about pretty early i guess.

maybe we will even see a "seamless" transition then to a DayZ 2.0 who knows...

I mean what successful gaming company doesn't do this, look at Rockstar!

They had just put out GTA IV which had online gaming and lobbies, and what did they do as soon as it was released?  Why they just left it sitting there and never touched it again for updates!!!!

Back to reality... Bohemia would be fucking retarded to be working on a DayZ 2 when they're already redoing the engine for the first game and aren't even 50% of the way through developing it.  Why the fuck do people like you feel the need to start such shit threads?

I think it is still too early to think about it. On the other hand, there are of course always economic motivations for one or the other within the games industry.

I hope the focus is clearly on THE DayZ standalone and development to release and after much further.
Because you look at the mod, as it developed and how unique he still is.
I think the Standalone would be also quite possible ... so in 2+ years. :)

to be realistic, from a economic pov, not thinking ahead would be highly negligent.

not so easy there ;). why?

To be realistic, they've sold 3 million copies in a year, without the game being finished.  To be realistic, they sold $1,000,000 worth of product in the first three weeks.  To be realistic, they'd be complete idiots to spread themselves too thin and underdevelop the game like most other companies do, IE Sony Online Entertainment.  I bet you SOE is working on a H2Z2 already, and that's because they're a horrible fucking company with no idea how to run successful games.  See where I'm going with this yet?

Edited by acdc_bag

From what was said at some presentations (I think it was mainly the Rezzed one), they will support and expand the game rather than start working on a sequel any time soon after release. Perhaps in a WoW sort of way (expansions and such), but that's just me guessing as it would sort of make sense.

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 6

Idea:

You don't wake up on the the coast but in a airlock!. dayZ 2.0.....Zeds in SPACE!!!!!

You and 49 other players are in a space station built by some extinct aliens that KOS'ed each other instead of finding a cure to the virus (or freaking breeding!).

Will we survive? is that a transporter? aliens used fire axes?....wait someguy is yelling friendly, "hey i hear you man what--------"

• Like 1

To be realistic, they've sold 3 million copies in a year, without the game being finished.  To be realistic, they sold $1,000,000 worth of product in the first three weeks.  To be realistic, they'd be complete idiots to spread themselves too thin and underdevelop the game like most other companies do, IE Sony Online Entertainment.  I bet you SOE is working on a H2Z2 already, and that's because they're a horrible fucking company with no idea how to run successful games.  See where I'm going with this yet?

nowhere did i state they would leave the project behind once they have a version 1.0 released. thing is there are certain things, implementations etc parts of the community would like to see which are - however - not really feasible within the current project. So this would leave some speculation regarding what "later" or "in the future" might mean.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

nowhere did i state they would leave the project behind once they have a version 1.0 released. thing is there are certain things, implementations etc parts of the community would like to see which are - however - not really feasible within the current project. So this would leave some speculation regarding what "later" or "in the future" might mean.

You are aware modding will be coming out, right?  Which means we will most definitely be getting different versions of DayZ.  DayZ Carebears Paradise, DayZ Bandit Party, etc.....

• Like 1

You are aware modding will be coming out, right?  Which means we will most definitely be getting different versions of DayZ.  DayZ Carebears Paradise, DayZ Bandit Party, etc.....

no way? what modding??! that surely can't be right

modders will surely overcome the - then still existing - limitations of the game/engine

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

The game is more World of Warcraft than Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.  We'll probably see expansion packs (more than likely in the form of Dev released maps) and of course we'll see regular updates, but a sequel?  Don't think we'll be seeing one.  I mean why have a sequel?  You have a squeal when you have a story you want to continue telling after a conclusion has been made.  DayZ has pretty much no story and no endgame, there's no rescue team coming to get you, there's no scientist in a bunker that you can help find a 'cure' for.

I mean really, any sequel they can do would/will probably be modded by someone in his free time where it'd take them another 2-3 years to get DayZ2: DayOne up and running.

no way? what modding??! that surely can't be right

modders will surely overcome the - then still exisiting - limitations of the game/engine

Oh they aren't coming out any time soon, especially during the alpha process because that would be utterly stupid to do but it has been confirmed, sadly.

Oh they aren't coming out any time soon, especially during the alpha process because that would be utterly stupid to do but it has been confirmed, sadly.

Judging by the Roadmap,  'Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc)' is slated for Q4, so that'd be the absolute EARLIEST we could see mods (though more than likely not till 2016 for any real mods that aren't something simple like UI changes or a kill counter).  Even then they didn't say Modding persay was a goal of Q4 2015, that's just an assumption on my part.

Look at Arma3 and Arma2, there will be some DLCs first, new maps and some new systems. And when modders do complete overhaul of game they will start working on Dayz2. I only hope it will be on modern engine without all the limitations that current engine has.

A sequel. That's a really good joke. I'll be happy to see the game hit v1.0

• Like 1

A sequel. That's a really good joke. I'll be happy to see the game hit v1.0

If they really wanted it to be humorous it needs to be called 

"DAYZ 2.0 - The Squeakquall"

If they really wanted it to be humorous it needs to be called 

"DAYZ 2.0 - The Squeakquall"

It'd be more like "DayZ 2(v.1 Alpha Early Access)"