therandomredstone

CHECK THE TREES!

Long story short, when people start fires, break chemilights, light flares, turn on gas lamps, they should be able to be seen from a much much MUCH further distance away, 1000 meters or so. Because if you were hunting someone who was cooking and eating others in the forest, you would look for the light for his campfire, if there were no bushes and stuff in the way, realistically you could see the fire from around 1000 meters away, if not clearly, then barely. And road flares.. what's the point if you cant see them from a far distance? road flares in real life are commonly used as distress signals, how in the world are you going to be able to see the location of your friend who has enemies trying to get up to him? you have a friends with you and they are in a V3S awaiting your go, you have a Mosin with a LRS but you cant pinpoint your friend's location from the xxx meters away you are away from him!

I do hate the fact that lights don't work well as lights. However I think this is all going to get touched on when we get that new renderer (Or so goes the hope).

We had a truck a few days ago and were driving around at night. I dropped my friend off somewhere because he wanted to search for loot. I was waiting in the truck and got bored, so I decided to drive around. After a while my firend told me he was done looting so I drove back to pick him up. I asked him to tell me when he could see the light from the truck. Curiously he was seing the truck (during the night) before he was seing the light, so the distance for seing light seems to be pretty low.

I think it has to do something with the quality settings "objects", which determines your draw distance for objects in the game.

• Like 2

Long story short, when people start fires, break chemilights, light flares, turn on gas lamps, they should be able to be seen from a much much MUCH further distance away, 1000 meters or so. Because if you were hunting someone who was cooking and eating others in the forest, you would look for the light for his campfire, if there were no bushes and stuff in the way, realistically you could see the fire from around 1000 meters away, if not clearly, then barely. And road flares.. what's the point if you cant see them from a far distance? road flares in real life are commonly used as distress signals, how in the world are you going to be able to see the location of your friend who has enemies trying to get up to him? you have a friends with you and they are in a V3S awaiting your go, you have a Mosin with a LRS but you cant pinpoint your friend's location from the xxx meters away you are away from him!

It would just suck if it was realistic though.

Given the nature of most of the playerbase if multiple people were on at night anyone using a campfire would be hunted down and it would be so easy to find them, especially with a helicopter.

Which is not a realistic thing for anyone to do in an apocalypse unless they're completely bonkers but with that kind of lunacy how can they function enough to fly a helicopter properly...

Flares I agree with, although they're mostly pointless basically "come shoot me" lights which would get people using them or people investigating them killed.

If they make light from fires realistic they might as well take out camp fires entirely.

You can see a lit candle from over a mile away in real life, realistic light would be so annoying in game.

I shouldn't be able to see somebody's light from a kilometer away. 

That depends how much light they're producing. The light shouldn't disappear after a short distance in any case. Maybe they will fix this upon new renderer...

• Like 1

For some perspective on lights at night... I spent some time on a ship in navy several years ago and all the of the hatches that opened to the weather decks (outside decks) had these interesting little black fabric maze contraptions that you had to negotiate to access the hatch. I asked about that and was informed they are called light locks (think air lock but for light) they prevent the inside light from leaking out after dark. Apparently you can see a cigarette flare up on a dark ship from the horizon (the reason smoking was forbidden on the weather decks at night), that's several miles away and just a cigarette. Do you still want realistic lights considering there is no other light to diffuse it and only the hope of obstructions to keep it from being seen? Just a thought.

It would just suck if it was realistic though.

Given the nature of most of the playerbase if multiple people were on at night anyone using a campfire would be hunted down and it would be so easy to find them, especially with a helicopter.

Which is not a realistic thing for anyone to do in an apocalypse unless they're completely bonkers but with that kind of lunacy how can they function enough to fly a helicopter properly...

Flares I agree with, although they're mostly pointless basically "come shoot me" lights which would get people using them or people investigating them killed.

If they make light from fires realistic they might as well take out camp fires entirely.

You can see a lit candle from over a mile away in real life, realistic light would be so annoying in game.

But you see, you would only be able to see the light if there was NOTHING in the way, hence an open field. But whenever they update forests which has already been confirmed, there is going to be WAYYY more brush. But if you choose where to build your fire correctly, no one will see it. Because bushes and trees and such would "mask" the emitting light.

campfire.gif

notice how the light is masked by the trees? This is what fires have to be like, except you would see them from an exceptional distance, on any side that isn't properly covered.

you wont. Because any smart person would correctly hide their fire. But if you have a fire in an open field like a crazy person, then yes you should see it from a kilometer away.

For some perspective on lights at night... I spent some time on a ship in navy several years ago and all the of the hatches that opened to the weather decks (outside decks) had these interesting little black fabric maze contraptions that you had to negotiate to access the hatch. I asked about that and was informed they are called light locks (think air lock but for light) they prevent the inside light from leaking out after dark. Apparently you can see a cigarette flare up on a dark ship from the horizon (the reason smoking was forbidden on the weather decks at night), that's several miles away and just a cigarette. Do you still want realistic lights considering there is no other light to diffuse it and only the hope of obstructions to keep it from being seen? Just a thought.

The current state of campfires is terrible. You could have a campfire on an open road and couldn't see it from more than 300 meters away. Of course when they add in better campfires, you will have to choose carefully as to where to put the fire. Maybe have a friend on guard. People seem to think that sitting at a campfire means that you don't have to worry about getting your butt shot off, and that's not the case. If you hide your campfire good enough, it wont mean that you cant be spotted, it just means that someone wont see the light from 1000 meters away. It just ticks me off, you could be running through an open field, and in the trees there could be a group of clumsy, stupid players with a campfire, one side of the fire has trees, the other side is the field you are running on, lets say you are 500 meters away from the camp and you cant see the light when CLEARLY since part of it is sticking out in the field, in real life you would be able to.

campfire.gif

Now you tell me that its not stupid that you can see a light PERFECTLY and you take a step back, and its completely gone. They should have the light fade away instead of "the lights here.." *step back, "the "lights gone!"

But you see, you would only be able to see the light if there was NOTHING in the way, hence an open field. But whenever they update forests which has already been confirmed, there is going to be WAYYY more brush. But if you choose where to build your fire correctly, no one will see it. Because bushes and trees and such would "mask" the emitting light.

campfire.gif

notice how the light is masked by the trees? This is what fires have to be like, except you would see them from an exceptional distance, on any side that isn't properly covered.

But that's a ridiculous thing to have to do just so people don't kill you, it's not a war why make it easier for warmongers?

In any case all you'd need to do is go to the top of a hill and you'd see the light hitting the top of the trees plus to even get to a covered enough area you'd have to be running around with a light source(or your gamma up like in real life)

And there's still no defence against heli's.

They shouldn't make this realistic because fires will only be viable on empty servers or the day time which is silly.

It's unnecessary people hunt each other enough no need to make it easier than it already is.

Hopefully these are things that will be covered by the new rendering engine.

Well, the game already has an equilibrium situation in the works to be implemented. Why else would you get the I'm cold/freezing messages.

You need a small space to be heated by our bodies emissions, a human designed heater, or campfire to stay warm/warmer overnights. Anyone still out at night hunting other players should be punished with hypothermia unless properly clothed with heavy winter gear. Of course the side effect of this is reduced movement...

Anyone with experience in colder environments knows that the more heavily bundled your clothes are, the higher risk for overheating when you start strenuous activities like running. ie - A slow jog at best would be the only practical speed with intermittent rest while heavily dressed on a colder night.

Ultimately, I would hope that those camping in the woods (and discovered) would only be potential victims because someone else needed the warmth, but couldn't trust them to invite them in.

Edited by E.J.

I'm in favour of having lights rendered more realistic in game.

People should learn how to make a Dacota firepit, such fires are partially or fully underground, only emitting a little light above, and burning much hotter and efficiently - little smoke! I use it on my hikes in the most crouwded Netherlands, where camping and having fires in the wild is illegal. I certainly do not want to be caught by the forest police. Yes it's like Dayz real life, and often me and my hiking buddy make jokes about DayZ saying 'friendly- friendly!' to strangers :D - just outside of the strangers hearing range off cause ;)