Sign in to follow this  
Reqlum

Heli Crash Sites

Do heli crashes only spawn on non-persistent servers? A lot of people told me they only spawn there... (.52 patch)

Definitely spawn on non-persistent, and I think I just found one on a persistent. Received wisdom at the moment is that they're on both.

On servers where persistence is off, Heli crashes are dependable.  On servers where persistence is ENABLED it is my opinion that somehow they are being "eroded" out of existence.  That is the only word that can describe what I have found to be the case since the last patch and I will tell you why this is my opinion.  After the patch dropped (.52 ) I started a character on a private hive, persistence enabled server.  I found crashes the first three restarts.  I ran the gauntlet of spawns and was successful each time gleaning ammo boxes, an aug etc. ( horrible weapon imo ) after, I would say, the third restart of the server....no heli crashes....ANYWHERE.  None since.  They have been "eroded" away somehow.  If anyone who has any development experience would like to theorize as to WHY I would love to hear it!

• Like 1

On servers where persistence is off, Heli crashes are dependable. On servers where persistence is ENABLED it is my opinion that somehow they are being "eroded" out of existence. That is the only word that can describe what I have found to be the case since the last patch and I will tell you why this is my opinion. After the patch dropped (.52 ) I started a character on a private hive, persistence enabled server. I found crashes the first three restarts. I ran the gauntlet of spawns and was successful each time gleaning ammo boxes, an aug etc. ( horrible weapon imo ) after, I would say, the third restart of the server....no heli crashes....ANYWHERE. None since. They have been "eroded" away somehow. If anyone who has any development experience would like to theorize as to WHY I would love to hear it!

I heard the very first restart on pers on servers (after the weekly/patch wipes) have visible crash sites for only once. After the second restart the loot continues to spawn, however the crash site itself doesn't.

Edited by Yazar8

On servers where persistence is off, Heli crashes are dependable.  On servers where persistence is ENABLED it is my opinion that somehow they are being "eroded" out of existence.  That is the only word that can describe what I have found to be the case since the last patch and I will tell you why this is my opinion.  After the patch dropped (.52 ) I started a character on a private hive, persistence enabled server.  I found crashes the first three restarts.  I ran the gauntlet of spawns and was successful each time gleaning ammo boxes, an aug etc. ( horrible weapon imo ) after, I would say, the third restart of the server....no heli crashes....ANYWHERE.  None since.  They have been "eroded" away somehow.  If anyone who has any development experience would like to theorize as to WHY I would love to hear it!

Recent experience tells me you may be right. There do seem to be cumulative effects of the persistence mechanism involved.

Agree with you about the AUG btw.

I was going to make a whole post about how I'm too old to believe in helicopter crashes and tie it into Santa.. but here we are.

Ran the gauntlet from Lupatino to south of Zelenogorsk and back TWICE in different servers, and haven't seen a single one.  I'd really love a definitive answer from someone who has seen a crash site (like today) in a persistence-enabled server.  I really hope we're not back to this invisible crap.. I NEED AN AMMO CAN SOOO BAD  :(

A separate question- when there IS smoke to be seen on a crash, about how far is the maximum render for the smoke? In other words, how close do I need to be to see the smoke plume?

• Like 1

I haven't seen a single one yet and I got back into DayZ about 2 weeks ago. Been playing on both Persistent and non-Persistent servers. 

I was going to make a whole post about how I'm too old to believe in helicopter crashes and tie it into Santa.. but here we are.

Ran the gauntlet from Lupatino to south of Zelenogorsk and back TWICE in different servers, and haven't seen a single one.  I'd really love a definitive answer from someone who has seen a crash site (like today) in a persistence-enabled server.  I really hope we're not back to this invisible crap.. I NEED AN AMMO CAN SOOO BAD  :(

A separate question- when there IS smoke to be seen on a crash, about how far is the maximum render for the smoke? In other words, how close do I need to be to see the smoke plume?

I have seen smoke on a crash over a klik away.  One example is the high value barn south of zelenegorsk up the hill overlooking the military, I saw smoke on a crash up the hill from the slaughterhouse long barn duo NW of that position...over a klik as the crow flies.  This is a vast improvement from when they were first implemented when smoke didn't render beyond 1-200 meters.

I have seen smoke on a crash over a klik away.  One example is the high value barn south of zelenegorsk up the hill overlooking the military, I saw smoke on a crash up the hill from the slaughterhouse long barn duo NW of that position...over a klik as the crow flies.  This is a vast improvement from when they were first implemented when smoke didn't render beyond 1-200 meters.

Are you talking about the barn that sits to the NW of downtown Zelenegorsk or the one to the south on the hill near the green mountain tower?

Are you talking about the barn that sits to the NW of downtown Zelenegorsk or the one to the south on the hill near the green mountain tower?

The barn is located at 025 106 the crash site was 016 100 according to DayZDB coords.  This is right around a klik although the barn is slightly elevated in position to the crash.

Non-presistent.. I find most of mine from Green Mtn. to NWAF.. stick towards the western side and on fresher servers you often get lucky with not too much traveling

here's something else I've been wondering.. if helicopter crashes spawn in persistent public-hive servers, is the location of the three choppers identical from one server to the next, or is it unique to every single server?

randomly spawns. Not two servers would be identical, times of restarts, and all settings the same.

Since there is only so many locations it may spawn once or twice. You do the stats math and figure out the % of heli spawns being identical on servers running persistence or off.

Probally 1 in 1million or more restarts being identical on 2 or more servers.

Just saying, its not very likely.

I play on a private persistent on server and found ammo box, combat knife and Aug but no heli, I was running through the field just north of kamenka. I was running with my inventory open and just happen to see the chem light flick on the screen. First heli items I've seen since the server was changed to persistent on. Server restart not long after that so I did a big lap from there to green mtn and seen jack shit. Just my $0.02

OK, so it looks like we're back to the loot spawning, but not the visible crash, on persistent servers. Meanwhile, on non-persistent, things are as they should be and crashes are visible. This is the same effectively as 0.51.

Clearly this is all pretty broken (as evidence by the tales of ten crash sites on a single non-persistent server, and of multiple helis spawning on top of each other), but obviously won't be a priority for a fix.

• Like 1