Caboose187 (DayZ)

Clarification on "Base Building"

If memory serves, Hicks talked about this in one of the Twitch streams. He said that players would not be laying foundations or building any multi-storey houses. Bases would consist of fencing off your campsite and maybe erecting some basic shelters made from scavenged materials. Which is what most people in this thread seem to want.

The issues to resolve will be around how to prevent ghosting inside a locked/barricaded area on the public hive, and how to balance construction/destruction time/effort/equipment. The former would appear to be the trickiest to deal with, but I'd be pretty surprised if the dev team haven't already been considering the options. When the stamina system is implemented, there's no reason not to apply it to things such as chopping trees, building barricades and crafting in general - all physically demanding activity, and not just running.

• Like 1

All we need is limitation of what our carachter can carry at one moment. One log at a time, one board, one tire for truck, one cinder block. And option to load logs and cinder blocks in trucks and cars. 

Posibility to baricade and build fences around small village or industrial area would be fantastic. So we can make our small Woodbury or Terminus. Off course, that should take weeks to finish.

i hope you can make a small base, like a wooden cabin or so just a small house from a lot of wood, and make a wall with woodon spikes or sandbags etc just a small but strong base no sky buildings and towers etc

I don't think we will be able to wall off towns and stuff.....no populated server would let you get halfway through something like that. Griefers would kill you destroy your halfbuilt wall for kicks ect. Theonly real weapon against players is concealment. The mod had sandbags now has metal walls ect, I haven't even bothered putting any of that junk at my camp as it just makes it so visible.

The thing to remember is that (if dayz holds to the mod) there will always be a way past any fortification yu build. So bording up an existing secluded house may seem great...eventually someone will go there either for loot or the same idea as you t make it a home. I just cannot see a house lasting very long at all as a base. I do think they should include stuff like that but I see it more as getting a friend to barricade the rear of a house during an engagement to have a more secure flank, that type of thing.

Once all servers become hives with full persistence, "base building" will become a dream. Whether it is forifying pre-existing buildings, with small additions or straight up building a small cabin in the woods.

It would be if all cut down tress would persist. In a sense, giving a limit to how many "bases" can be made on a server. This would also add more of a challenge even just to make the most simple. But of course nobody wants a completely deforested Chernarus, so maybe this portion of the persistence would be reset every month or so.

All i really want is be able to barricade existing buildings and make a base out of them with traps, chains and locks... That kind of thing.

I think the best way to balance bases while keeping it realistic is to have them easy to break into but have lots of traps available to the defenders. If there's a possibility a palisade is surrounded by mines people are less likely to try their luck breaking in and if there's a possibility breaking down a door will cause a grenade to go off you might decide to wait for the owners to come by and attack once they've disarmed it in order to get in.

Hanging around where your tent is and building a fire there is a great way to let the whole frigging world know where you are.  I use the tent as a storage site and nothing more, never as a hide site.  That's just asking for it.  I'd like a small entrenching tool and the ability to dig in, that's about it.  Of course boarding up houses would be great, however, as such they are a great temporary base but these tend to attract the unwanted attention of Bandits and KoSers.  In addition, if we are not gonna have "sleepers" that can be killed while the owner is off line what's the point of all this base building?  You're just protecting a bunch of stuff that you can just go find pretty easily anyway.

Edited by Barnabus

In addition, if we are not gonna have "sleepers" that can be killed while the owner is off line what's the point of all this base building?  You're just protecting a bunch of stuff that you can just go find pretty easily anyway.

It's because because it's in Epoch and too many people think Epoch is Dayz.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 4

Yep, agreed. Building big structures from thin air is something I've always been turned off by in Epoch, H1Z1 etc etc.

Foxholes and other dugout style things with fences are good additions. Not sky fortresses.

I suppose building small sheds [like those really poorly made plank ones with the holes in the back wall that always spawn shovels] to complement tents would also be ok, but the potentials there for people to build shed castles out of them. Little bush shelters like mentioned in a previous post here done Bear Grylls style would also be cool, but again theres the risk that people would just build a city of sheds, tents and bear grylls bush beds in the debug forests [or whats left of them...]

Edited by a_ruttle
  • Like 1

Want to know what base building will be like, play the mods, and you will know

That's why I started this thread.  I actually want clarification because if this game turns in Epoch, I'm out.  

I believe it's time we get some clarification about base building.  A lot of people seem to think that we will be able to make houses out of sticks and stones and wind up building massive fortresses.  This type of gameplay is something I really hope does not make it into DayZ.  If this has been their plan from the start I don't know why they went with the name DayZ.  They could have just called it Epoch SA as that's all it will be.   Personally I'm only hoping for boarding up the houses that are already in game.  Hopefully a developer will frequent these forums at some point in the future to give us better clarification on this.

Underground bases.

I think base building should be with in reason. Blocking doors, maybe more tent types, or crafted tents, maybe fences, and metal objects, sand bags and the like. Epoc has down right not realistic base building. So I say with in reason.

Also ghosting, is another issue that should be looked into. I mean what the hell is the point of having a base if another clan could just have someone spawn inside of it. So currently I see it more for storing on a private shard with the current engine then anything. Plus the server wipes once a week kind of defeats the reason for having one. I am sure in the future that will happen less often if at all.

Ghosting was looked into you cant spawn in a base if it isnt yours.

That's why I started this thread.  I actually want clarification because if this game turns in Epoch, I'm out.  

You sound a wee bit petulant there... If you don't get your way your out... oh no, now we must do it your way, can't loose you eh..

Both can exist together.

Doesn't have to be Epoch-style ridiculousness. But we can, and will as per developer statements, have player-placed construction items.

We already have what is essentially a stand-in for making cabins right now, with the military tents. Which represent the opposite end of the Epoch spectrum, wherein player-placed structures aren't overly complex... but they're insanely easy/straightforward to construct.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, especially when said bathwater is solely reliant on execution/implementation and not the actual concept.

• Like 1

You sound a wee bit petulant there... If you don't get your way your out... oh no, now we must do it your way, can't loose you eh..

It's got nothing to do about getting my way.  Epoch is garbage and building sky fortresses is the stupidest thing to add into a game that's trying to be close to realistic.  If I want to play minecraft, I'd play minecraft.  I paid my 30 bucks, I put in almost 800 hours and I got my enjoyment out of what DayZ has to offer for me.  End of story.  Also with the amount of remodeling that the developers have done with Chernarus, it'd be stupid of them to even allow players to bypass all the buildings they redone by going out and building their sky fortress.

Edited by Caboose187

I bet there won't be underground bases so don't get your hopes up. 

What i really care about base-building is for structures to obey the laws of physics.

A building should co-respond to it's initially placed foundations.That means,sky fortresses or sea floating hangars,have absolutely no place in DayZ.

However that doesn't mean i'm against "fortresses" granted they require vast amounts of resources and construction time.

Imo a player should rightfully take pride and it makes sense for his creation itself to portray his dedication of valuable time and resources.

I need to clarify though,that by no means this implies that a player should be free to make his personal "Babel" tower.

Obviously there should be a cap of how many floors we are allowed to build depending on our choice of the structure's underlying foundation.

Because DayZ is all about realism,we cannot implement a message restricting the player,saying: "you cannot build as you have reached your structure's floor cap".

Instead building above the foundation's support limit would break them jeopardizing the structure's integrity as a whole.

If memory serves, Hicks talked about this in one of the Twitch streams. He said that players would not be laying foundations or building any multi-storey houses. Bases would consist of fencing off your campsite and maybe erecting some basic shelters made from scavenged materials. Which is what most people in this thread seem to want.

You nailed it. Core DayZ SA will be "limited." Mods to the end product will likely be able to deliver Epoch-style construction though, if that's your thing.

It's because because it's in Epoch and too many people think Epoch is Dayz.

That is a tough correlation to break if it's all you've ever played. (I started on the Standalone, by the way.)

You ever see those wooden sheds, the ones with the single door and the window? I hope we can build something like that. The square ones could fit a single cot, a woodstove, and some shelving/storage space, while the long ones could hold maybe 4 bunks (double stacked) a woodstove, and some storage.

09-Small-shed-with-door-but-no-floor.jpg

Square

Wooden_shed_kit.jpg

long

• Like 2

I just want a bunker which i can repair with electronic scrap place a generator and reactivate the fingerprint checking device to open the 2 tons entrance door^^

of cause you have to collect a working laptop before you can start hacking the bunker system to get in :P

Edited by Freshmen

What happened to instanced, underground bases?

And bring stashes back!

As long as I can't just pop up and toss in a grenade and ruin your life AND base.  So something more complicated than just boarding up a house, because those will be your own coffins.