rickyriot

Fishing hooks... am I going mad or have they suddenly become extremely rare?

Of course the title is not mutually exclusive, it may be both, but for the last week or so I haven't found a single fishing hook when before I was literally tripping over them.

Now, before someone suggests that they are just difficult to see and I am probably just missing them, I have no problem in seeing them if they are there, they just don't seem to be and I've been checking all the usual places they spawn.

I'm currently playing the Stable branch.

Industrial spawns. I haven't had any problems at all finding them recently. (I always, always craft a fishing pole on all my characters... ;) )

• Like 1

Industrial spawns. I haven't had any problems at all finding them recently. (I always, always craft a fishing pole on all my characters... ;) )

Yeah, and in sheds too, but nothing I can't find any.

Well, I wish I  could help more. Good luck on your search man! (Only a 2 or 3 weeks before the wipe... )

I tend to find more than enough hooks in the little railroad maintenance sheds, like the one outside the industrial zone of Novodmitrosk and Svetlojarsk.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm having a little more difficulty finding rope myself. 

• Like 1

I just found 5 pieces of rope within 30 seconds in Elektro.... : P

Really, I would like to be able to make my own rope, from twisted grass or braided strips of cloth. The less dependent I am on fickle loot spawns, the better.

I have one. Will trade for m4 with acog and magazine :)

Sure man. just meet me in the open field north of the NEAS.  Just stand in the dead center of the field.

I just found 5 pieces of rope within 30 seconds in Elektro.... : P

Really, I would like to be able to make my own rope, from twisted grass or braided strips of cloth. The less dependent I am on fickle loot spawns, the better.

Animal guts in Experimental can be crafted into rope, I believe. But that leaves something of a conundrum: if you aren't relying on loot spawns for your kit, how do you kill the animal in order to get hold of the guts? You'd need a bow, for which you'd rope... for which you'd need guts... etc.

I have tons of rope and have two (10x) piles of burlap sack strips in the vain hope that I might manage to find some netting - so so unlikely, but fishing hooks I just can't find any anywhere and I really have searched what seems like 1/4 of the map. I've been a SA player from it's release so it's not like I don't know the loot locations or what they look like.

Still if others are finding them (Stable/1PP) then I'm sure it must just be my luck.

I have tons of rope and have two (10x) piles of burlap sack strips in the vain hope that I might manage to find some netting - so so unlikely, but fishing hooks I just can't find any anywhere and I really have searched what seems like 1/4 of the map. I've been a SA player from it's release so it's not like I don't know the loot locations or what they look like.

Still if others are finding them (Stable/1PP) then I'm sure it must just be my luck.

Throw away your rope and anything else related to crafting a fishing rod or finding bait. Then go looking for binoculars. Once you've done this, you're bound to find lots of fishing hooks.

Throw away your rope and anything else related to crafting a fishing rod or finding bait. Then go looking for binoculars. Once you've done this, you're bound to find lots of fishing hooks.

There is definitely a level of "sods law" in loot scavenging. The minute you need something, it's nowhere to be found, yet when you don't...

Animal guts in Experimental can be crafted into rope, I believe. But that leaves something of a conundrum: if you aren't relying on loot spawns for your kit, how do you kill the animal in order to get hold of the guts? You'd need a bow, for which you'd rope... for which you'd need guts... etc.

You know, sometimes the survival-ideas of the devs confuse me.

Can intestines be used a binding material? Yes. Are there a whole plethora of alternate, probably better, uses for them, namely making water containers, cooking pots, and sausage skins? Yes.

To me, a FAR better choice for rope making is either grass or braided hide. 

Idk about the latest patch but i'v been running into them allover the place.

Sure man. just meet me in the open field north of the NEAS.  Just stand in the dead center of the field.

I've been here for four hours now, where are you? Wait, is that you over there pointing an AK at me. I'll go say hello.

• Like 1

what wipe???

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/217002-status-report-week-of-08-dec-14/

"In addition, as work on the central economy continues - there have been extensive cases on public hive servers with users abusing bugs to duplicate items. In order to combat this, we'll be taking a two point initiative at the beginning of 2015. Firstly, at the start of the year we will look at performing a wipe of the hive. Next, we will work with our game server provider partners to deploy a system for server operators that continues to allow them access to restarting their servers in the event of unforseen issues, but logs and tracks abusers of this option."

Honestly dude, you might just be having poor luck with the loot generation as you roam about. I remember for the longest time I was hauling several boxes of 7.62 ammunition around looking for a Mosin, only to die, then to find a Mosin and die again. Finally found my rifle and got ammo for it but... ya know how long that typically lasts >.>

Anyways, Fishing Hooks aren't super rare, my friend and I practically trip over them every time we hit any sort of residential/industrial town.

Anyways, Fishing Hooks aren't super rare, my friend and I practically trip over them every time we hit any sort of residential/industrial town.

Yeah, well that was the reason for the thread. Previously I could fill my inventory with them, for the last couple of days nothing, and I am a traveller so ended up searching a fair bit of the map.

Maybe the new update will be a little more lucky for me.

You know, sometimes the survival-ideas of the devs confuse me.

Can intestines be used a binding material? Yes. Are there a whole plethora of alternate, probably better, uses for them, namely making water containers, cooking pots, and sausage skins? Yes.

To me, a FAR better choice for rope making is either grass or braided hide. 

For me, rope has always seemed a bit of an odd choice although I understand the initial thinking. In terms of realism rope has no elasticity so would make for a very poor fishing line or bow string, so using gut string would be the ideal replacement for that.

What should rope be used for? Well traps, when implemented, would be the obvious choice, as are shelters and other crafted structures. In terms of content in game I'd like the ability to roll up clothing and use a rope to tie it allowing you to carry them outside of your main inventory. 

So, new character with the new update. What is the first thing I find? Yup, you guessed it - a fishing hook. Followed by another... :rolleyes:

I normally find rope all over the place. Fishing hooks i mostly find in the crappy house with the stairs leadinh to a closed door. (Blueish house i believe)

I normally find rope all over the place. Fishing hooks i mostly find in the crappy house with the stairs leadinh to a closed door. (Blueish house i believe)

Yeah, it wasn't that I didn't know where to find them, it was that for some hours playing there were none where they normally spawn. 

As I say, found some now, albeit in the same sort of places I was looking before.

Yeah, it wasn't that I didn't know where to find them, it was that for some hours playing there were none where they normally spawn. 

As I say, found some now, albeit in the same sort of places I was looking before.

Yeah you can stumble upon the weirdest loot spawn locations now. Makes me "explore" more. Im loving it! :)